Image ImageImage Image

Phil Jackson Meets the Bulls

Moderators: HomoSapien, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, Ice Man, dougthonus

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,264

Phil Jackson Meets the Bulls 

Post#1 » by HomoSapien » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:27 pm

Read on Twitter

What a cool video. Phil’s rep has taken a hit since the Knicks, but I wish there was a way to use him in a teaching role. Hopefully the Bulls release a longer version.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,682

Re: Phil Jackson Meets the Bulls 

Post#2 » by fleet » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:50 pm

That, I would never have guessed could happen. The Montana recluse appeared disinterested in NBA life outside. It must have been something that came about after communication about the ROH?

The Bulls as a franchise have badly missed on connecting to legacy from the Dynasty. It’s a shame. The Lakers have it. The Celtics have it. The Spurs have it. The Bulls have had nothing but friction and awkwardness.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,472

Post#3 » by CBS7 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:15 pm

fleet wrote:That, I would never have guessed could happen. The Montana recluse appeared disinterested in NBA life outside. It must have been something that came about after communication about the ROH?

The Bulls as a franchise have badly missed on connecting to legacy from the Dynasty. It’s a shame. The Lakers have it. The Celtics have it. The Spurs have it. The Bulls have had nothing but friction and awkwardness.

The Bulls would be a poverty franchise ala the Timberwolves or Kings without Jordan
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 755

Post#4 » by Charlesareed » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:03 pm

CBS7 wrote:
fleet wrote:That, I would never have guessed could happen. The Montana recluse appeared disinterested in NBA life outside. It must have been something that came about after communication about the ROH?

The Bulls would be a poverty franchise ala the Timberwolves or Kings without Jordan

Nah we be the clippers
Chicago Raised me
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,107

Post#5 » by Wingy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:27 pm

It’s crazy. This franchise should’ve embraced the dynasty group. You talk about culture of winning now (HAAA!!!) yet you’ve utterly, completely, and consciously alienated the winningest group in your franchise’s history that was an international phenomenon for the NBA history books.

Most everything with the Bulls is clearly second rate, half-assed, unserious, incompetent, and uncommitted. It’s like fish was saying after the ring of shame event. I start to wonder more and more why I continue to be a Bulls fan.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#6 » by fleet » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:48 pm

Wingy wrote:

It’s crazy. This franchise should’ve embraced the dynasty group. You talk about culture of winning now (HAAA!!!) yet you’ve utterly, completely, and consciously alienated the winningest group in your franchise’s history that was an international phenomenon for the NBA history books.

Most everything with the Bulls is clearly second rate, half-assed, unserious, incompetent, and uncommitted. It’s like fish was saying after the ring of shame event. I start to wonder more and more why I continue to be a Bulls fan.

The Bulls have not been conciliatory or generous with their approach. So that basically signals there is no priority for the Dynasty guys. Instead of a full court press to bring them into inclusion, it’s.. ‘We’re good’. I hope Phil doing this signals a thaw in relations. But Jerry is still in charge, and he has never changed one ounce. The guess here is that this has a lot more to do with Phil.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,107

Post#7 » by Wingy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:00 pm

fleet wrote:The Bulls have not been conciliatory or generous with their approach. So that basically signals there is no priority for the Dynasty guys. Instead of a full court press to bring them into inclusion, it’s.. ‘We’re good’. I hope Phil doing this signals a thaw in relations. But Jerry is still in charge, and he has never changed one ounce. The guess here is that this has a lot more to do with Phil.

I’m confident it’s a nod of respect to Billy and the players, and has very little or more likely nothing to do with the rest of the org.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#8 » by madvillian » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:48 pm

Phil is dead to me after his stupid comments about the NBA's social justice initiatives.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,816

Post#9 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:17 pm

I don’t think his rep has taken a hit. Still the GOAT coach. Doesn’t matter what happened running the Knicks.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#10 » by fleet » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:18 pm

madvillian wrote:Phil is dead to me after his stupid comments about the NBA's social justice initiatives.

I hope Phil is not opposed to a positive outcome on social justice oriented issues. Phil might be as I am. Which is to be interested and supportive in many social reform issues, and supports freedom of expression, but not a fan of the league getting directly involved in promoting a politically oriented POV. Like, I don’t have any problem with kneeling during the anthem or anything like that. Before the game. But I also understand why the NFL wouldn’t want to be identified as an entity directly involved in promoting that stuff. I don’t desire to see political messaging while I am watching professional sports. In fact, I oppose seeing that while allowing for it to happen if I must. I watch sports specifically not to be thinking at all. Entertaining fans strictly with the game alone is probably the best bet for the NBA. Unless the audience is especially oriented towards a different outlook than what mine us. Maybe it is, IDK.

This seems reasonable

“People want to see sports as nonpolitical,” he said. “We’ve had a lot of different type of players that have gone on to be … like (former New York Knicks forward) Bill Bradley was a senator. A number of baseball players have been representatives and senators and political, but their politics stay out of the game; it doesn’t need to be there.”
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,163

Post#11 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:50 am

cool video. is there a full one somewhere?
here's an article about it with a few selected quotes: https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bulls/ct-chicago-bulls-phil-jackson-west-coast-20240128-uwtrcoc3jva5rcz3as2scktn54-story.html

Guard Coby White [asked] Jackson to describe the biggest difference between Jordan and Kobe Bryant. Jackson’s response: “Kobe didn’t have a conscience. Michael Jordan did.”
“Basically he said if after the game Mike wasn’t 50% from the field, he would kind of be disappointed,” White said. “Kobe could go 7-for-25 and he really didn’t care.”

DeRozan said Jackson was one of the first people he saw at [Kobe's] funeral. He was taken aback with emotion watching Jackson and Popovich reconnect in that moment.

“I was in awe,” DeRozan said. “Just knowing the battles they went through, the success, the championships, the greatness. Just to be right there in your presence, seeing them having a conversation and interacting with one another, it was one of the highlights of my career to be able to be in the midst of those two greats talking and me being a fan of the game. I just remember that moment.”

After less than an hour with Jackson, DeRozan said the only thing he wished was that the Bulls could have had more time with the former coach. But even that short experience was inspiring.

“I think that’s why they show infomercials at night, trying to get you inspired to buy the product,” DeRozan said. “Sometimes the right infomercial is going to have you buy in. Being a student of the game and being able to be in the same room with such greatness, you can’t do nothing but leave being inspired walking away from it.”
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,163

Post#12 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:55 am

I'll echo what others have said, it would be great if the Bulls did more things like this to stich together the dynasty era and the current team...not for the sake of nostalgia for fans, but to maybe help out the current players understand what it takes to win. in fairness, I think they tried with Pippen and he squandered the opportunity. I don't think Michael ever would, but respect to Jackson for coming to talk to the guys. I wish those D Rose teams could've won something because I bet Noah, Deng and Rose (post retirement) would love to stay involved with the team. Actually, I'm surprised how little we hear from Deng but I get the feeling he's pretty busy these days with things outside of NBA basketball.
WookieOnRitalin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 271

Post#13 » by WookieOnRitalin » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:14 am

fleet wrote:
madvillian wrote:Phil is dead to me after his stupid comments about the NBA's social justice initiatives.

I hope Phil is not opposed to a positive outcome on social justice oriented issues. Phil might be as I am. Which is to be interested and supportive in many social reform issues, and supports freedom of expression, but not a fan of the league getting directly involved in promoting a politically oriented POV. Like, I don’t have any problem with kneeling during the anthem or anything like that. Before the game. But I also understand why the NFL wouldn’t want to be identified as an entity directly involved in promoting that stuff. I don’t desire to see political messaging while I am watching professional sports. In fact, I oppose seeing that while allowing for it to happen if I must. I watch sports specifically not to be thinking at all. Entertaining fans strictly with the game alone is probably the best bet for the NBA. Unless the audience is especially oriented towards a different outlook than what mine us. Maybe it is, IDK.

This seems reasonable

“People want to see sports as nonpolitical,” he said. “We’ve had a lot of different type of players that have gone on to be … like (former New York Knicks forward) Bill Bradley was a senator. A number of baseball players have been representatives and senators and political, but their politics stay out of the game; it doesn’t need to be there.”

Sports should not be political especially favorably political to one particular point of view. People want to watch the game. If a player wants to be political on his or her own time, that is her or her prerogative. They have social media. They use their money for speech.

Nothing wrong with what Phil said.
"As you think, so shall you become." --- Bruce Lee
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,264

Post#14 » by HomoSapien » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:48 am

Regarding Phil's rep: I think Phil's had some moments lately that haven't looked great. Between the LeBron posse comment, his initial comment that seemed dismissive about social justice, and Pippen calling him a racist... it's been rough for the old man. I think there's a perception that he's out of touch and frankly, he probably is. Dude is 78. Most of us will be out of touch when we reach that age. But I also think his comments have been interpreted in an overly sensitive way that ignores the intention of the comment. And even Pippen later admitted that Phil's not racist.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,052

Post#15 » by erlim » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:58 am

CBS7 wrote:

We are a poverty franchise WITH Jordan.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,740

Post#16 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:17 am

It would be a shame if we don't get a longer video. It sucks knowing this team's best era is filled with a bunch of broken relationships that won't be repaired due to ego.

Great to see Phil Jackson, he looks good and healthy for his age.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,927

Post#17 » by RSP83 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:49 pm

HomoSapien wrote:Regarding Phil's rep: I think Phil's had some moments lately that haven't looked great. Between the LeBron posse comment, his initial comment that seemed dismissive about social justice, and Pippen calling him a racist... it's been rough for the old man. I think there's a perception that he's out of touch and frankly, he probably is. Dude is 78. Most of us will be out of touch when we reach that age. But I also think his comments have been interpreted in an overly sensitive way that ignores the intention of the comment. And even Pippen later admitted that Phil's not racist.

By now, with all the Pippen stuff, it's hard to take him seriously.

The dynasty Bulls was really special in a unique way, how an organization so disfuctional can create something so great. They were really reminiscent of a legendary band that had an ugly break up.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#18 » by GoBlue72391 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:31 pm

WookieOnRitalin wrote:
fleet wrote:

This seems reasonable

Sports should not be political especially favorably political to one particular point of view. People want to watch the game. If a player wants to be political on his or her own time, that is her or her prerogative. They have social media. They use their money for speech.

Human rights aren't political.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,870

Post#19 » by DuckIII » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:46 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
WookieOnRitalin wrote:
fleet wrote:I hope Phil is not opposed to a positive outcome on social justice oriented issues. Phil might be as I am. Which is to be interested and supportive in many social reform issues, and supports freedom of expression, but not a fan of the league getting directly involved in promoting a politically oriented POV. Like, I don’t have any problem with kneeling during the anthem or anything like that. Before the game. But I also understand why the NFL wouldn’t want to be identified as an entity directly involved in promoting that stuff. I don’t desire to see political messaging while I am watching professional sports. In fact, I oppose seeing that while allowing for it to happen if I must. I watch sports specifically not to be thinking at all. Entertaining fans strictly with the game alone is probably the best bet for the NBA. Unless the audience is especially oriented towards a different outlook than what mine us. Maybe it is, IDK.

This seems reasonable

Human rights aren't political.

I will never cease to be frustrated with people being upset by equality messaging. Equality messaging is only “political messaging” because resistance to it is a political path to success. The fact that it is referred to as politics at all confirms the necessity of it.

I could understand if the leagues absolutely beat us over the head with it constantly during broadcasts if for no other reason than the desire to preserve escapism into a hobby or personal interest. At some point all messaging can be overdone and out of place. I get that.

But other than a brief window during the social justice wave, the messaging is extremely tame. An occasional uplifting message on a baseline paint job. Football helmets saying “be love” etc.

And really, if you get upset by words standing for equality and support for other human beings then you might want to talk to someone.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,870

Post#20 » by DuckIII » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:57 pm

P.S. Phil Jackson is every bit as responsible for the organization’s disconnect with the Dynasty. And really, the disconnect is only with Phil and MJ. Not a huge surprise since feeding dysfunction between the players and FO was Phil’s strategy and MJ is a massive ass hole.

Not saying Phil is solely responsible because he is not, but he embraced and exploited the feud and it’s not even like it’s a secret.

Everyone else seems to embrace a connection to the organization like you would expect except for perhaps Rodman who, well, so what?
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Return to Chicago Bulls