Image ImageImage Image

Julian Phillips

Moderators: HomoSapien, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23

ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 1,054

Julian Phillips 

Post#1 » by ScrantonBulls » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:06 am

#OneGameOverreactionThread

I think Julian Phillips has potential to be a good 3&D player, which are hugely important in today's game. He's athletic, he can run, he can shoot. I'm excited to see him get more minutes with PWill out. If I had to choose, I'd keep him up instead of Dalen if somebody needs to get sent to the G-League.

What are your thoughts on him? Can you see him being useful NBA player?

Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 755

Re: Julian Phillips 

Post#2 » by Charlesareed » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:22 am

Yup time to give the kid some minutes
Chicago Raised me
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,266

Post#3 » by HomoSapien » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:27 am

Even though he didn’t have much impact on the glass, it was great just having size and length on the floor. It’s just so obvious how big of a difference it makes.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,451

Post#4 » by 2weekswithpay » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:33 am

He can't shoot but if/when he learns how to he'll be a solid rotation player.
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 1,054

Post#5 » by ScrantonBulls » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:45 am

HomoSapien wrote:Even though he didn’t have much impact on the glass, it was great just having size and length on the floor. It’s just so obvious how big of a difference it makes.

The good news is he can't be much worse than Pat on the glass.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#6 » by Axolotl » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:18 am

Phillips is intriguing. The length, the athleticism, the motor - he could become a player. He also seems to have a natural feel to the game, but his skills are not at the level needed to put all that potential to use.

Interested to see what his developmental arc is going to be.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,374

Post#7 » by DASMACKDOWN » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:59 pm

At this stage right now, he is like a taller Derrick Jones Jr. I do feel he has a higher ceiling though mostly due to the height.

What I do like is that he definitely slashes, moves without the ball and gets after it. Could be a guy that can get to the free throw line a lot.

I can certainly see by next year after strengthening and getting consistent minutes, he could be a baller.
The Cult of Personality
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,708

Post#8 » by BullChit » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:24 pm

His motor is the opposite of P.Will.

There was one play that impressed me where DeMar missed a 3 and he swooped in from the corner grabbed the airball and tried to flip it up and in before the buzzer.
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,944

Post#9 » by ChettheJet » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:37 pm

I think that if they can trade some combination of Carsuo, Carter, Lavine and DeRozan they could open up some time for Phillips to be the backup 4, depending on if it's Williams or someone back in a trade so Billy shifts away from the 4 guard sets.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#10 » by FriedRise » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:59 pm

Been calling for Phillips to play instead of trying to force Coby and/or Caruso at PF with Pat and Craig out. Glad it finally happened, but concerning that Billy still went Drummond + Vooch before trying him.

Like, your choices aren't just guards or centers. Players in between do exist - they're called forwards.

Yes he's raw, but no more than Dalen IMO, and Dalen has been getting a lot of playing time. Too bad it didn't happen sooner because we had games we dropped because we were too small and couldn't match up with the other team's size. Phillips could've helped with that.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,982

Post#11 » by dougthonus » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:06 pm

ChettheJet wrote:I think that if they can trade some combination of Carsuo, Carter, Lavine and DeRozan they could open up some time for Phillips to be the backup 4, depending on if it's Williams or someone back in a trade so Billy shifts away from the 4 guard sets.

Or we could just play him as backup PF without trading anyone because with Craig out, we have no backup 4.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#12 » by GoBlue72391 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:38 pm

He's got the athleticism, length, and shooting form to be successful. All he has to do is bulk up and gain game experience.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,396

Post#13 » by Hangtime84 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:42 pm

learn to dribble with dribbletoomuch he could be looking like the Jalen Johnson from the hawks
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,110

Post#14 » by Wingy » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:57 pm

That block was kinda cool. It was also the 21,233th instance where I self-recognized that I'm an old curmudgeon thinking "just grab the damn ball!!!" :x
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,857

Post#15 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:12 am

He has all the tools to be a really good player. I have no question that in time he will become stronger, that's the easy part. It's whether he can become a consistent shooter, and whether he can improve his ball handling. That will be the difference with him being a role player, or a player who could catapult himself into a starter level player, or possibly more.

You see someone like Mobley who is already a solid player at power forward, but he hasn't developed his shot enough to be an elite power forward yet, and is more suited to being a center. Not a direct comparison between the two players, but emphasizing the fact that adding a critical piece to ones game can really open up a players game, which is what has happened with Coby, by adding a reliable dribble game.

He is still very young though, and we probably won't see the fruits of his work for another season or two, but he is definitely worth the investment for sure.
Why so serious?
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,374

Post#16 » by DASMACKDOWN » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:04 am

kulaz3000 wrote:He is still very young though, and we probably won't see the fruits of his work for another season or two, but he is definitely worth the investment for sure.

And at least AKME learned their lesson from the Marko/Ayo deals.

We have Julian on a 4 year deal.
The Cult of Personality
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,857

Post#17 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:20 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:He is still very young though, and we probably won't see the fruits of his work for another season or two, but he is definitely worth the investment for sure.

And at least AKME learned their lesson from the Marko/Ayo deals.

We have Julian on a 4 year deal.

Agreed. They got lucky on Ayo's current deal, because he had a poor sophomore season.
Why so serious?
boozapalooza
Rookie
And1: 663

Post#18 » by boozapalooza » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:17 am

Back to back solid games from JP…this kid has serious potential. Former 5 star recruit/Mcdonalds All American showing why he was ranked so highly.

I watched JP at Tennessee and hated his offensive game. He couldnt score to save his life in that offense. Played awful in the tournament. Didnt want us to draft him at all. Im glad I was wrong. His down season at Tenn is the only reason he was able to fall to the 2nd round.

Kudos to AK and maybe we need to acquire more 2nd round picks, since drafting there seems to be the one thing AK does pretty well.
Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,145

Post#19 » by Bandit King » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:46 pm

Our coach will make him earn his minutes though.
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,698

Post#20 » by sco » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:04 pm

His opportunity to get some developmental minutes may be the silver lining here with Pwill's injury. Maybe we can trade Craig at the deadline (although I like him but he's not a long-term piece) for another young piece.
:clap:

Return to Chicago Bulls