Image ImageImage Image

Update PG 4: Patrick Williams OUT For Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Re: Update PG 4: Patrick Williams OUT For Season 

Post#121 » by Dan Z » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:51 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:Phillips, Terry, and Taylor can play PF too. Drell too if we were ever going to play him.

Saddest sentence in Bulls history...

The G League Chicago Bulls!
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#122 » by Dan Z » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:52 pm

DuckIII wrote:Good call. Saves money on his next contract and this season never meant anything anyway as it regards team success.

I think we are about to enter a free fall and start losing a lot. I said this awhile back and so it has nothing to do with Pat’s surgery, though the impact that has on our depth certainly hurts the team.

I can still watch games for Ayo, Coby and Phillips I guess. I really hate our FO.

Hopefully you're right. A high 2024 draft pick is important for the future of this team (even though I never like to see the Bulls lose).
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,722

Post#123 » by madvillian » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:03 am

DuckIII wrote:Good call. Saves money on his next contract and this season never meant anything anyway as it regards team success.

I think we are about to enter a free fall and start losing a lot. I said this awhile back and so it has nothing to do with Pat’s surgery, though the impact that has on our depth certainly hurts the team.

I can still watch games for Ayo, Coby and Phillips I guess. I really hate our FO.

Yea I said it in the game thread, there's a good chance we will fall to the 10th seed. Only the awfulness of the East will prevent us from falling out of the play in completely. We're going to finish around 32 wins imo. The guys are going to get burned our mentally and physically (they probably already are) covering all the minutes and roles they aren't ready to handle.

As for Pat, this is a bad sign. I wonder if he's one of those NBA players that simply did not get enough calcium growing up. He's not a 7 footer, he's not even particlary bulky, and he's having foot issues requiring 3-4 months off already?

I just hope he can be 100% for camp. FFS I hate this ****. It's never ending. We never have enough talent and even when we do have some talent worth watching it gets hurt. Why couldn't it be like Vuc and Carter out for the year instead of Zach and Pat?
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,625
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#124 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:03 am

DuckIII wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:Phillips, Terry, and Taylor can play PF too. Drell too if we were ever going to play him.

Saddest sentence in Bulls history...

How about “Today the Chicago Bulls announced it has reached an agreement with Arturas Karsinovas to become the team’s next Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations.”

I'm quite possibly one of the most patient sports fans in history, but I've reached my end. I was willing to give AKME the benefit of the doubt because they originally put together a pretty good squad after some major changes.

If the roster isn't revamped again this off-season, I'll be done with them. And I'm not talking about signing some fringe players for the 7-10 spots on the bench. We should have at least 2 new starters next season.

Ideally we'd have a new PG, PF, and Center to pair with Coby and Caruso(?). A bench of Ayo, PWill, Craig, Terry, Phillips, Vuc, Bitim. God that sounds depressing as I type it out.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#125 » by FriedRise » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:05 am

Read on Twitter

Oh he’ll be back. The continuity is strong with this one.
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#126 » by Dan Z » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:05 am

Kurt Heimlich wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:
$12.9M seems like an overpay for a guy who does what Pat can, who is also going to be coming off dicey FOOT surgery. It's not my money so I don't care of course, so yes offer him the QO so we maintain "control" even if it's inevitably going to be a dead weight 1 year contract. But what team will actually offer a career 9pts 4 rebounds guy coming off foot surgery big money? And why in gods green earth would we want to match such an offer if it came to pass?

2weekswithpay said that if he signs the QO then he has a no trade clause. PW has to sign off on any deals.

He's 22 years old and a good defensive player who shoots three's at a solid percentage (on low volume). There might be a team who is willing to take a chance on him. For example, Detroit. What do they have to lose if they try to outbid the Bulls?

My initial take on this is that if he takes the QO that's good for the Bulls.

Lauri's breakout in Utah probably has a lot of us shaken on giving up on our under performing recent lotto picks. Heck the fan base was relatively indifferent to keeping Coby last off season as well. So yeah I get where you're coming from. The foot surgery is a scary quirk here though. And Pat has been Snell'ian in his performance/growth(lack-there-of). Plus Lonzo, and now very possibly Zach, are crushing us with dead weight salary.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense for PW to take a multi-year deal if a team offers it. That would be better than gambling on himself and taking the QO.

There's a chance that this injury is reoccurring and, if that happens, next year might be up and down for him.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,367

Post#127 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:07 am

We saw this about 2 weeks ago. Its sad that we expected this.
The Cult of Personality
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,938

Post#128 » by ChettheJet » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:05 am

My suspicious nature makes me think they knew he was going to need surgery at the deadline and sill did nothing to find a PF. So with how things ended up I'm left thinking the organization didn't want to make any big moves at the deadline because they see better options coming over the summer. Anything done a week ago might have appeased some fans but not set up anything for next year.

Come summer I think moving DeRozan in a S&T is on the list. Maybe finding a taker for Lavine. Vucevic with only 2 years to go is a candidate for trade. They see teams more willing to trade for Caruso for an entire season on an expiring contract. They end up getting expiring contracts, rookie contract players and future picks.

Then the plan is build around Coby. Ayo gets enough PG minutes the rest of the year to start there next year. Patrick comes back healthy at the 3. I still might be the only one but a returning Lonzo Ball could happen. The bench could consist of Carter, Craig, Phillips, Terry.
greenwing
Sixth Man
And1: 442

Post#129 » by greenwing » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:17 am

Whelp, that $28 mil per year…
madvillian
RealGM

Post#130 » by madvillian » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:20 am

ChettheJet wrote:My suspicious nature makes me think they knew he was going to need surgery at the deadline and sill did nothing to find a PF. So with how things ended up I'm left thinking the organization didn't want to make any big moves at the deadline because they see better options coming over the summer. Anything done a week ago might have appeased some fans but not set up anything for next year.

Come summer I think moving DeRozan in a S&T is on the list. Maybe finding a taker for Lavine. Vucevic with only 2 years to go is a candidate for trade. They see teams more willing to trade for Caruso for an entire season on an expiring contract. They end up getting expiring contracts, rookie contract players and future picks.

Then the plan is build around Coby.
Ayo gets enough PG minutes the rest of the year to start there next year. Patrick comes back healthy at the 3. I still might be the only one but a returning Lonzo Ball could happen. The bench could consist of Carter, Craig, Phillips, Terry.

No offense to white, but my god this is where we are at headed into year 4 of AKME?
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#131 » by Dan Z » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:21 am

ChettheJet wrote:My suspicious nature makes me think they knew he was going to need surgery at the deadline and sill did nothing to find a PF. So with how things ended up I'm left thinking the organization didn't want to make any big moves at the deadline because they see better options coming over the summer. Anything done a week ago might have appeased some fans but not set up anything for next year.

Then the plan is build around Coby. Ayo gets enough PG minutes the rest of the year to start there next year. Patrick comes back healthy at the 3. I still might be the only one but a returning Lonzo Ball could happen. The bench could consist of Carter, Craig, Phillips, Terry.

I hope you're right, but everything AK said makes me think the plan is to push for the play-in/playoffs.

If he wanted to trade Caruso wouldn't his value be higher this year than in the off season? That way a team gets him for two playoffs instead of one.

I bet you're right about AK knowing about PW's surgery or at least having a good idea about it being a possibility.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,851

Post#132 » by dougthonus » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:26 am

Not surprising as an outcome after the words "bone edema" were printed. I noted that it seems like an injury most likely to take him out for the season and the Bulls did a disservice by saying they encourage active rest and will reevaluate in 2 weeks.

WTF is wrong with their PR department when it comes to injuries?
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,083
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#133 » by Clint Eastwood » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:41 am

dougthonus wrote:Not surprising as an outcome after the words "bone edema" were printed. I noted that it seems like an injury most likely to take him out for the season and the Bulls did a disservice by saying they encourage active rest and will reevaluate in 2 weeks.

And WTF is wrong with their medical and training staff that they prescribed “active” rest for a stress reaction?
We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton. -BrooklynBulls
madvillian
RealGM

Post#134 » by madvillian » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:48 am

Clint Eastwood wrote:
dougthonus wrote:Not surprising as an outcome after the words "bone edema" were printed. I noted that it seems like an injury most likely to take him out for the season and the Bulls did a disservice by saying they encourage active rest and will reevaluate in 2 weeks.

And WTF is wrong with their medical and training staff that they prescribed “active” rest for a stress reaction?

I mean you gotta try and stay in shape. I don't blame the medical staff, the right thing is to shut him down and let it heal. This is the type of thing that could easily ruin his entire career if it turns into a chronic issue.

As Doug noted, the problem was with the PR around it. When you research "bone edema" the range of outcomes is a few weeks to a few months or more. And the few months or more seems to be the outcome for high level athletes that are pounding their bones for a living.

League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#135 » by League Circles » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:51 am

On the bright side this substantially reduces the chance that we overpay him. But sadly it doesn't eliminate it.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
mj234eva
General Manager
And1: 3,571

Post#136 » by mj234eva » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:05 am

Hopefully he'll be back within a couple years.
Michael Jordan wrote:Sometimes I wish I could be my teammates looking at that
defense. It must be nice. But it isn't nice for me.
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#137 » by Charlesareed » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:11 am

Dan Z wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:Best wishes on Pat's recovery. Obviously crushes his shall we say previously elevated dreams of his next contract. Is giving him the qualifying offer now a question mark? Especially after the Lonzo debacle.

This site says the QO is 12.9 million.

If he were to sign for that much, does it mean there are any rules attached to it such as he can't be traded or whatever?

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/chicago-bulls/patrick-williams-70646/

12.9 million for him next year wouldn't be a bad idea. He can try to prove that he's worth more and is healthy.

If he signs the QA he’ll be a unrestricted free agent in following summer
Chicago Raised me
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#138 » by Charlesareed » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:14 am

FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh he’ll be back. The continuity is strong with this one.

Well that AKME for you rinse recycle repeat continuity :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chicago Raised me
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,052

Post#139 » by vxmike » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:16 am

Well I think we need to see the Drummond/Vucevic pairing up front the rest of the year. They’ve done well and beating up Demar and Caruso at PF makes no sense.

Very odd the FO didn’t attempt to acquire a PF at the deadline. Can you imagine if Vuc or Drummond miss any games?
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,232

Post#140 » by Red8911 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:28 am

Wow many of you guys called it that he will end up being out for the season.Funny how KC earlier in the day reported the opposite that Pat isn’t out for the season and no chance he needs surgery lol. Got that one totally wrong.

Really sucks, just as he started to look better he gets this injury bothered him for a couple weeks and now needs surgery. This guy has had bad luck with injuries and has slowed down his development.

What does this mean for his upcoming FA? Maybe the Bulls can now sign him for cheaper ?

For this season this totally screws the Bulls. Pat was very important and they needed him. Terrible news,this team can’t catch a break.

Return to Chicago Bulls