Image ImageImage Image

Ayo Dosunmu has leveled up

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,175

Re: Ayo Dosunmu has leveled up 

Post#101 » by League Circles » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:58 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
League Circles wrote:Ayo should REALLY make oft-injured, aging, high value Caruso expendable this offseason in a trade, ideally a package deal for a more substantial player.

If you're a team willing to pay up for Caruso, you're probably a contender, so it seems unlikely a "more substantial player" would be coming back, as opposed to primarily draft compensation, unless the player is disgruntled or overpaid. Also, given Caruso's modest salary, it'd be fairly difficult to trade him for a more substantial player absent throwing other guys in the deal.

Yeah it gets tricky cause Vuc and Carter are probably both perceived as bad contracts by most teams, but for a team willing to trade for them at all (primarily to get Caruso), it might be worth it. Think something along the lines of Caruso and Carter for a PF making like 15 mil or Caruso and Vuc for a C/PF making like 22 mil.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,955
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#102 » by MalagaBulls » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:53 pm

Read on Twitter
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#103 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:08 pm

coldfish wrote:General kind of funny comment: AKME fell into success. By giving the 3 year to Simonovic and the 2 year to Ayo, they were forced to negotiate with Ayo early. Had they given Ayo the 3 year deal right off, they would be looking at a much bigger contract after this season.

That was all part of their brilliant plan from our grade-A front office. Their foresight is unbelievable.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,321

Post#104 » by kodo » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:56 pm

AK (or ME) also said they never even had Ayo on their board, they didn't work him out or interview him.
But they should get credit for outbidding Toronto to keep him in Chicago. Toronto wanted to sign (for cheap) & develop him, from the same source that said we were trying to trade Lavine last summer.
othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 761

Post#105 » by othawhitemeat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:19 pm

kodo wrote:AK (or ME) also said they never even had Ayo on their board, they didn't work him out or interview him.
But they should get credit for outbidding Toronto to keep him in Chicago. Toronto wanted to sign (for cheap) & develop him, from the same source that said we were trying to trade Lavine last summer.

Doesn't surprise me. AK is an idiot that got luck to get into the jobs he has, but a rich and wealthy idiot.
PJSteven22
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#106 » by PJSteven22 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:04 am

PaKii94 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:I'm trying to think of a player comparison for him for a similar archetype of player. The one that I have in my mind is jrue holiday lite BUT ayo doesn't have the opportunity to run the offense, ayos efficiency is better but much worse defense.

Caruso? But he's a much better defender and a much worse offensive player

Who is a rim driver, hits 3s, can move the ball but isn't a floor general, play defense but isn't game changing (caruso)? No names are popping up in my head.

I see some Dumars in his game, personally.

Read on Twitter

No doubt in my mind this guy is going to max out whatever his potential is. I think he has a good shot at becoming a consistent 15 and 5 guy.

Didn't watch dumars. Got any specific highlights that show Ayo like traits?

PJSteven22 wrote:
rosenthall wrote:
I think Leandro Barbosa is the best comparison I've seen so far. Big, long point guard who's very athletic in a straight line but doesn't change speeds well in the half-court. Strong defensively and decent floor general but not spectacular in that area. Solid rotation player that can play in good 5 man lineups in the playoffs but not a core player.

He’s nothing like Barbosa. Barbosa was a mediocre defender and a streaky scorer. Also Ayo is bigger than Barbosa. He reminds me of Dejounte Murray/E’Twuan Moore hybrid.

Yeah Barbosa in my head was a smaller 6th man scorer type. I didn't watch him much but never associated him with defense.

Moore is close but that's the more generic 3/d guard player. I think Ayo is already surpassed that.

Murray is also close but Ayo's offense is more efficient and his shot is looking better. Also when I looked into Murray apparently his defense is overrated (like Kris dunn when he played for the bulls).

But a better shooting Murray seems like an apt comparison. That's a high level player then.

othawhitemeat wrote:
jmajew wrote:I think Ayo is not the same player as Jimmy Butler, but I see his career going on a similar trajectory as Butlers. I think Ayo has the same work ethic as Jimmy. In year 3 Jimmy got a massive boost in usage and then year 4 he exploded. I think Ayo may be on a similar path. I don't think he will be an all-star, though I do think it is possible (10% probability).

Just saw this after my post in response to Duck. Dude has that legendary work-ethic.

I agree on the work ethic part. That's what attracted me to Jimmy and also Ayo that rookie season. Thing is I don't think Jimmy is a good comparison because Ayo doesn't have a knack for drawing FT and he is also not ultra low turnover (Jimmy's two elite killer traits why he's always a positive). Also Jimmy's defense was another level while he was developing (one of the best at guarding prime LeBron for 48 mins straight)

sco wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:The fact that we've got two young and upcoming guards in Coby and Ayo is one of the few bright spots of this season. I don't know what kind of ceiling I would put on Ayo, but I know at minimum he's a solid starter/great bench piece, but he'll almost certainly never be an all-star barring an unforeseen Coby-esque jump.

Maybe something like Kirk Hinrich as his ceiling. Though his defense isn't at Kirk's level and probably never will be, his offense will likely be a bit better. But numbers-wise Kirk was like a 15 and 6 guy in his prime and I can see that being a reasonable ceiling for Ayo, perhaps even a little higher.

Even after seeing this mini-upswing this season, I would be thrilled if Ayo became prime Kirk Hinrich. IIRC (which may be wrong) but isn't Kirk the Bulls 2nd all-time 3pt baskets maker (which I find more of a negative on the Bulls than a positive for Kirk).

From a team composition perspective, being able to have a good defender at the 2 spot next season if we are trotting DDR at the 3 next season is a great thing. Although I fully expect Zach back for at least half of next season.

Idk about Kirk comparison. Kirk was a more floor general, good shooter, and positioning defense. Ayo is more of a length defender.

2weekswithpay wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:I'm trying to think of a player comparison for him for a similar archetype of player. The one that I have in my mind is jrue holiday lite BUT ayo doesn't have the opportunity to run the offense, ayos efficiency is better but much worse defense.

Who is a rim driver, hits 3s, can move the ball but isn't a floor general, play defense but isn't game changing (caruso)? No names are popping up in my head.

Bruce Brown? His 3pt percentage is down but he was 36% and 40% in the previous two seasons.

Does Bruce Brown have any playmaking chops? I think Ayo could be a PG but he doesn't have the opportunity right now.

MGB8 wrote:

Gary Harris?

Eh he's a generic 3/d. Ayo is better already

FriedRise wrote:

Josh Richardson

Generic 3/d. I think Ayo has more potential and is already more of a playmaker.

The comparison in my mind for Ayo is tough because I believe he is more than just a 3/d guy. I think he has good playmaking chops and I think once DDR is gone his midrange game should expand more.

I still think Jrue Holiday in my mind

Jrue with better shooting, better midrange, worse defense, less opportunity to run the offense. Like Jrue I think he can provide a bit of everything and just help the team WIN without needing heavy usage in a particular thing.

It’s not a 1 to 1 comparison it’s a hybrid. Physically he has the height and wingspan as DeJounte Murray but he similar in strength to E’Twaun Moore. Ayo can get to the hoop and has a similar midrange game to DeJounte not quite as good but maybe he gets close in his prime. Ayo is not the floor general that DeJounte Murray. He’s a similar caliber of shooter and defender to Moore. He’s solid/good in both areas but not elite.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,681

Post#107 » by sco » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:45 pm

PJSteven22 wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
I see some Dumars in his game, personally.

Read on Twitter

No doubt in my mind this guy is going to max out whatever his potential is. I think he has a good shot at becoming a consistent 15 and 5 guy.

Didn't watch dumars. Got any specific highlights that show Ayo like traits?

PJSteven22 wrote:He’s nothing like Barbosa. Barbosa was a mediocre defender and a streaky scorer. Also Ayo is bigger than Barbosa. He reminds me of Dejounte Murray/E’Twuan Moore hybrid.

Yeah Barbosa in my head was a smaller 6th man scorer type. I didn't watch him much but never associated him with defense.

Moore is close but that's the more generic 3/d guard player. I think Ayo is already surpassed that.

Murray is also close but Ayo's offense is more efficient and his shot is looking better. Also when I looked into Murray apparently his defense is overrated (like Kris dunn when he played for the bulls).

But a better shooting Murray seems like an apt comparison. That's a high level player then.

othawhitemeat wrote:
Just saw this after my post in response to Duck. Dude has that legendary work-ethic.

I agree on the work ethic part. That's what attracted me to Jimmy and also Ayo that rookie season. Thing is I don't think Jimmy is a good comparison because Ayo doesn't have a knack for drawing FT and he is also not ultra low turnover (Jimmy's two elite killer traits why he's always a positive). Also Jimmy's defense was another level while he was developing (one of the best at guarding prime LeBron for 48 mins straight)

sco wrote:Even after seeing this mini-upswing this season, I would be thrilled if Ayo became prime Kirk Hinrich. IIRC (which may be wrong) but isn't Kirk the Bulls 2nd all-time 3pt baskets maker (which I find more of a negative on the Bulls than a positive for Kirk).

From a team composition perspective, being able to have a good defender at the 2 spot next season if we are trotting DDR at the 3 next season is a great thing. Although I fully expect Zach back for at least half of next season.

Idk about Kirk comparison. Kirk was a more floor general, good shooter, and positioning defense. Ayo is more of a length defender.

2weekswithpay wrote:
Bruce Brown? His 3pt percentage is down but he was 36% and 40% in the previous two seasons.

Does Bruce Brown have any playmaking chops? I think Ayo could be a PG but he doesn't have the opportunity right now.

MGB8 wrote:
Gary Harris?

Eh he's a generic 3/d. Ayo is better already

FriedRise wrote:
Josh Richardson

Generic 3/d. I think Ayo has more potential and is already more of a playmaker.

The comparison in my mind for Ayo is tough because I believe he is more than just a 3/d guy. I think he has good playmaking chops and I think once DDR is gone his midrange game should expand more.

I still think Jrue Holiday in my mind

Jrue with better shooting, better midrange, worse defense, less opportunity to run the offense. Like Jrue I think he can provide a bit of everything and just help the team WIN without needing heavy usage in a particular thing.

It’s not a 1 to 1 comparison it’s a hybrid. Physically he has the height and wingspan as DeJounte Murray but he similar in strength to E’Twaun Moore. Ayo can get to the hoop and has a similar midrange game to DeJounte not quite as good but maybe he gets close in his prime. Ayo is not the floor general that DeJounte Murray. He’s a similar caliber of shooter and defender to Moore. He’s solid/good in both areas but not elite.

Last night was a good example of "bad Ayo". I was happy his 3 was falling, but it seems whenever he gets blocked or stopped in the paint, his aggressive light dims. He really could be so much better if he just kept attacking. It's clearly a mental thing, but it screams "not an alpha". I blame Billy a bit because he should be driving that message home.
:clap:
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,058

Post#108 » by Chi town » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:16 pm

Up to 41.7 from 3.

He’s on a heater.

Whats most impressive is the volume.
jump
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,421

Post#109 » by jump » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:35 am

Chi town wrote:Up to 41.7 from 3.

He’s on a heater.

Peter Patton is a genius.
sco
RealGM

Post#110 » by sco » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:47 pm

jump wrote:

He’s on a heater.

Peter seems to have had a positive impact, to be sure, but "genius" is reserved for the guy who gets Vuc back over 36%.
jump
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,421

Post#111 » by jump » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:50 pm

sco wrote:
jump wrote:

He’s on a heater.

Peter seems to have had a positive impact, to be sure, but "genius" is reserved for the guy who gets Vuc back over 36%.

That is definitely the Holy Grail.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,445

Post#112 » by Muzbar » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:52 pm

sco wrote:
jump wrote:

He’s on a heater.

I believe his name is Jesus Christ, because it's going to take some sort of miracle.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,754

Post#113 » by DuckIII » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:53 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
coldfish wrote:General kind of funny comment: AKME fell into success. By giving the 3 year to Simonovic and the 2 year to Ayo, they were forced to negotiate with Ayo early. Had they given Ayo the 3 year deal right off, they would be looking at a much bigger contract after this season.

That was all part of their brilliant plan from our grade-A front office. Their foresight is unbelievable.

Absolutely. If there is one thing no one can criticize about AKME it’s their uncanny ability to look ahead and see the big picture.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,845

Post#114 » by dougthonus » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:22 pm

What's funny about this, is their ineptitude got them there too.

They could have just matched any offer and got him on a smaller deal or got him on the QO and he'd be restricted next year. They overpaid him to lock him up and he beat out the overpay.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,149

Post#115 » by MrSparkle » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:33 pm

Maybe I’m missing something, but the entire organization has been thrilled and high on Ayo since he dropped in the draft. I’m not sure why he got 3y and Marko got 4, but it could be entirely possible that Ayo wanted 3 - he was projected first round for a while leading up to it.

I find it to be a nothing burger though. Was expecting MLE offers from atleast 1-2 teams for Ayo (regardless of his mediocre season), but we dodged a bullet and got a sweet deal for a young guard.

I think nobody expected him to drop to #38, yet he’s top-10 in win shares from that draft.

All things considered, these budget deals aren’t that great in the long term. They have 3y options, so Coby and Ayo could become significantly more expensive as soon as 2025/26 (along with Caruso). We really needed cap flexibility with Zach traded to make interesting moves, but as such, we’re just a well-managed cap structure with a few albatross injured deals.

If Pat also gets the budget deal but improves, then we can stop beating the bush about lucky breaks and admit that AK/BD have been planning around paying younger players “true value”, by putting them in limited challenging developmental roles, instead of feeding them high usage and watching their $$$$ demands rocket. Which was frankly my understanding when they added Caruso and Lonzo to a backcourt that had Zach and Coby, and decided to keep Ayo as well. The part i don’t like is Billy’s temptation to play very small at SF, although I much prefer this with Zach out the rotation. But there’s a real back end problem to playing your Wiggins and Jalen Greens for 40 mpg as #1 options, maxing them cause they hit “20 PPG” , and then regretting it.
Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,145

Post#116 » by Bandit King » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:01 pm

Bulls would still replace him with a real scoring guard if they had a chance.
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,754

Post#117 » by DuckIII » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:09 pm

Bandit King wrote:Bulls would still replace him with a real scoring guard if they had a chance.

Like who?
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,319

Post#118 » by Mbrahv0528 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:08 pm

Bandit King wrote:Bulls would still replace him with a real scoring guard if they had a chance.
Lol. Do tell.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,058

Post#119 » by Chi town » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:43 am

Mbrahv0528 wrote:
Lol. Do tell.

Zach Lavine.

Lolllllllll
sco
RealGM

Post#120 » by sco » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:40 pm

Chi town wrote:
Mbrahv0528 wrote:
Lol. Do tell.

Zach Lavine.

Lolllllllll

It will be interesting to see if Ayo keeps Pat out of the starting line-up when he returns. I'm rooting for Ayo. He's shown more. Also, benching Pat lowers his market value. Win/Win.

Return to Chicago Bulls