Image ImageImage Image

Bulls Trade Rumors Only

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

ChiefILL53
Starter
And1: 830

Re: Bulls Trade Rumors Only 

Post#1041 » by ChiefILL53 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:03 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
kodo wrote:We don't need sweeteners to move Lavine. Look at the hard evidence:
- AK was offered a king's ransom for Caruso (whatever that was) last deadline, no deal
- AK was offered Moody plus pick(s) for Caruso this deadline, no deal
- AK was offered 3 picks for our league min, backup Center. No DEAL.

It's obvious that there were offers for Zach most of us would have considered fair for Lavine, and AK would have rejected them.

No, it's not obvious.

Zach is a holdover from the prior regime and AK has never seen as invested in him as in other players. Absent his injury, I assume they would have made efforts to get him off the roster. There is no evidence that, at this point, AK wants him around.

Really odd that he re-signed him to the sub max contract he did. Coulda traded him or let him walk.
jc23 wrote:Goran + Lonzo + Zach = the Dragon Ball Z line up.
2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,395

Post#1042 » by 2weekswithpay » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:05 pm

When the Sixers traded for Buddy Hield, they gave up the 2024 second-round pick (via Raptors), the 2029 second-round pick (via Blazers), and the 2029 second-round pick (via LA Clippers). The Raptors pick is currently the 36th pick in the draft. If this is what was on the table then this is fair value for Drummond and this is incompetence from AKME.
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,186

Post#1043 » by _txchilibowl_ » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:25 pm

2weekswithpay wrote:When the Sixers traded for Buddy Hield, they gave up the 2024 second-round pick (via Raptors), the 2029 second-round pick (via Blazers), and the 2029 second-round pick (via LA Clippers). The Raptors pick is currently the 36th pick in the draft. If this is what was on the table then this is fair value for Drummond and this is incompetence from AKME.

Unless you'd rather compete for a playoff spot. Then the deal is garbage.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Post#1044 » by Stratmaster » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:38 pm

- AK was offered a king's ransom for Caruso (whatever that was) last deadline, no deal

It's obvious that there were offers for Zach most of us would have considered fair for Lavine, and AK would have rejected them.
Yep. Just like it was reported when they first started trying to trade Lavine. "The Bulls are asking for a kings ransom".

Before the latest injury I am pretty sure there was plenty of interest in Lavine. Prior to the rift being so public and Zach finally saying "fine, trade me, I will cooperate" I expect they could have gotten significant value.

The Bulls screwed up the situation royally.

Sent from my SM-S911U using RealGM mobile app
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#1045 » by Stratmaster » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:39 pm

sco wrote:
FriedRise wrote:Those 2nds probably won’t ever be as good as Drummond, but they could’ve been used other ways - like for example, as a sweetener to move off of Zach’s contract that would’ve allowed you to reset this roster.

Yeah, 3 wrongs don't make a right. 2nd rounders can be bought, not sure I'd ever give up a rotation level player like AD for a handful of magic beans.
Yep. And they weren't going to be significant sweeteners for a future Zach deal either.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#1046 » by Stratmaster » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:40 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:

No, it's not obvious.

Zach is a holdover from the prior regime and AK has never seen as invested in him as in other players. Absent his injury, I assume they would have made efforts to get him off the roster. There is no evidence that, at this point, AK wants him around.
It was already reported as fact before this season ever started.

Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,285

Post#1047 » by Dan Z » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:49 pm

Stratmaster wrote:

Yep. Just like it was reported when they first started trying to trade Lavine. "The Bulls are asking for a kings ransom".

Before the latest injury I am pretty sure there was plenty of interest in Lavine. Prior to the rift being so public and Zach finally saying "fine, trade me, I will cooperate" I expect they could have gotten significant value.

The Bulls screwed up the situation royally.

Without being a part of the negotiation I can't say if AK asked for a "King's Ransom" or not. But, I agree with you that he probably had offers before Zach's value went down and he eventually opted for surgery.

Sometimes waiting around for the best deal isn't the right decision.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,285

Post#1048 » by Dan Z » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:51 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

No, it's not obvious.

I hope AK believes in Coby (another holdover from the prior regime).
2weekswithpay
Starter

Post#1049 » by 2weekswithpay » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:52 pm

_txchilibowl_ wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:When the Sixers traded for Buddy Hield, they gave up the 2024 second-round pick (via Raptors), the 2029 second-round pick (via Blazers), and the 2029 second-round pick (via LA Clippers). The Raptors pick is currently the 36th pick in the draft. If this is what was on the table then this is fair value for Drummond and this is incompetence from AKME.

Compete for what playoff spot? With or without Drummond here this team will likely have to win two play-in games to have the honor of being destroyed by the Celtics in the first round.
_txchilibowl_
Starter

Post#1050 » by _txchilibowl_ » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:54 pm

2weekswithpay wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:

Compete for what playoff spot? With or without Drummond here this team will likely have to win two play-in games to have the honor of being destroyed by the Celtics in the first round.

Exactly. Still more valuable than garbage 2nd round picks.
2weekswithpay
Starter

Post#1051 » by 2weekswithpay » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:19 pm

_txchilibowl_ wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:

I don't understand how people can watch what Ayo's been doing since he got here and yet label a pick in the same draft range as garbage. 2-3 solid players have been drafted in the 2nd round for the last decade and instead of giving yourself another shot at a 2nd round gem, you would rather have the services of a backup center for another 3 months?
_txchilibowl_
Starter

Post#1052 » by _txchilibowl_ » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:04 pm

2weekswithpay wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:

I don't understand how people can watch what Ayo's been doing since he got here and yet label a pick in the same draft range as garbage. 2-3 solid players have been drafted in the 2nd round for the last decade and instead of giving yourself another shot at a 2nd round gem, you would rather have the services of a backup center for another 3 months?

I would. And the hit rate on second round picks is miserable.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,681

Post#1053 » by sco » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:08 pm

_txchilibowl_ wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:

Me too. Moreover, you don't actually need to give up assets to get a 2nd rounder, you can buy them.
:clap:
2weekswithpay
Starter

Post#1054 » by 2weekswithpay » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:22 pm

_txchilibowl_ wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:

The hit rate doesn't matter, you rob yourself of a chance to get another rotation player for the services of a backup on an expiring contract. This would make sense if the Bulls were a good team capable of making a playoff run but they aren't. You'd never see Presti or Ainge make a decision like this for a reason.
2weekswithpay
Starter

Post#1055 » by 2weekswithpay » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:37 pm

sco wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:

Me too. Moreover, you don't actually need to give up assets to get a 2nd rounder, you can buy them.

The value of second round picks isn't the same as it was a few years ago. From a Forbes article. The Bulls had to trade two 2nd round picks to get Philips at pick 35. Now that you're able to sign 2nd round picks to 3-4 year contracts without going using the MLE, the value is higher than before.

Back in the early and mid-2010s, it was relatively common for teams to sell second-round picks to one another. For instance, the Chicago Bulls traded No. 38 pick Jordan Bell to the Golden State Warriors during the height of their dynasty in 2017 for $3.5 million in cash. Four years later, the Philadelphia 76ers sent $2 million in cash to the New Orleans Pelicans to acquire the No. 53 pick, per Charania.

The Sixers were among the teams angling to buy a second-rounder in this year's draft as well, according to Kyle Neubeck of PhillyVoice, but they were unable to find a taker. No. 57 overall pick Trayce Jackson-Davis was the only second-rounder acquired for cash considerations during the 2023 draft. Meanwhile, the Los Angeles Lakers sent $4.3 million to the Indiana Pacers just to move up seven spots in the second round (from No. 47 to No. 40), according to the Indianapolis Star.
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 466

Post#1056 » by step » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:21 am

2weekswithpay wrote:
sco wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:

The value of second round picks isn't the same as it was a few years ago. From a Forbes article. The Bulls had to trade two 2nd round picks to get Philips at pick 35. Now that you're able to sign 2nd round picks to 3-4 year contracts without going using the MLE, the value is higher than before.

Back in the early and mid-2010s, it was relatively common for teams to sell second-round picks to one another. For instance, the Chicago Bulls traded No. 38 pick Jordan Bell to the Golden State Warriors during the height of their dynasty in 2017 for $3.5 million in cash. Four years later, the Philadelphia 76ers sent $2 million in cash to the New Orleans Pelicans to acquire the No. 53 pick, per Charania.

The Sixers were among the teams angling to buy a second-rounder in this year's draft as well, according to Kyle Neubeck of PhillyVoice, but they were unable to find a taker. No. 57 overall pick Trayce Jackson-Davis was the only second-rounder acquired for cash considerations during the 2023 draft. Meanwhile, the Los Angeles Lakers sent $4.3 million to the Indiana Pacers just to move up seven spots in the second round (from No. 47 to No. 40), according to the Indianapolis Star.

Adding to your post, second round picks have far more value than just the pick spot and monetary value too. Given the restrictions around trading multiple first rounders, 2nds fill that void and have been incredibly prevalent in making deals. In one of the articles below, they reference them as trade lubricant :P

In total, 71 second-round picks changed teams from Jan. 1 until the buzzer sounded at 3 p.m. ET on deadline day. Only 29 seconds were dealt during that window in 2022, 32 in 2021, 17 in 2020 and 32 in 2019

Just to repeat that... 71 second rounders were moved from Jan 1st until the trade deadline.
https://sports.yahoo.com/the-rise-of-second-round-picks-how-the-once-undervalued-draft-assets-are-shaping-a-new-market-landscape-155530243.html

Another aspect that we'll probably see come more to light given the harsher tax penalities and rules... is supposed LT payment benefits:
A player whom a team takes in the second round typically earns the rookie minimum contract and only counts for that much toward the luxury tax and salary cap. But an undrafted rookie, whose actual contract will also be for the rookie minimum, counts for a higher amount against the luxury tax threshold than a drafted one does. That player counts the same amount toward the luxury tax as if he’s been in the NBA for two seasons, at which point the salary minimum is higher. The same system allows teams to pay more expensive veterans a higher minimum salary but count them at a lower minimum in the realm of the luxury tax (and the salary cap). The bottom line is that drafting more rookies in the second round, rather than signing them outside the draft, is a way for teams to save money on the league’s luxury tax.

https://slate.com/culture/2023/02/nba-trade-deadline-second-round-draft-picks-value.html

I'm not 100% sure on the above as we've never really had to worry about LT penalties much as a team...
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,563

Post#1057 » by Andi Obst » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:57 am

I think trading Drummond for seconds would've been the right move, but only combined with Caruso/DeMar trades. Trading one of your 6-7 real NBA players who are actually available to play each night for seconds while trying to "compete" makes no sense. Getting really upset about missing out on like two seconds is also pretty weird IMO.

I hate that they did nothing again. But trading Drummond only to make a trade would've been worse IMO.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 4,020

Post#1058 » by bledredwine » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:59 am

All I know is that we must trade ourselves out of low mediocrity to the very bottom. It’s unfortunate but i hat is what we currently need.

Trade Demar, Vuc, Zach, and any over-the-jill guys that we can.

I don’t think that Bulls fans will lose much excitement from trading those three guys in the exchange for some more hope.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 466

Post#1059 » by step » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:10 pm

Andi Obst wrote:I hate that they did nothing again. But trading Drummond only to make a trade would've been worse IMO.

The scenario is essentially all or nothing. We couldn't remain 'competitive' had we shipped out Drummond as we're already deficient there. Once you move Drummond, you'd would logically consider moving Demar, and then Caruso, and then realise shiet, why stop there?

But who knows, maybe AK will have the last laugh when Ball bounces back and rejuvenates the squad back to life. However, the realist in me will just continue to watch the little value our players have left dwindle over time into essentially nothing. To which essentially will be sooner than people think... and then we'll be up **** creek.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,457

Post#1060 » by jnrjr79 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:28 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

No, it's not obvious.

Sorry if it was not clear, but my post was referencing this year’s trade deadline, not prior opportunities.

Return to Chicago Bulls