Image ImageImage Image

Buyout market

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 659

Re: Buyout market 

Post#81 » by Rose2Boozer » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:05 pm

Sign Javonte Green to a 10 day.
ROLES & HOLES
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,708

Post#82 » by BullChit » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:28 pm

prolific passer wrote:Release everybody and go buyout. No more blow it up. Just buy it out.

The Chandler Hutchinson method.

"One teams trash is another teams play in roster."
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,293

Post#83 » by prolific passer » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:37 pm

BullChit wrote:
prolific passer wrote:Release everybody and go buyout. No more blow it up. Just buy it out.

The Chandler Hutchinson method.

"One teams trash is another teams play in roster."

Competing for the play in is the new theme for the bulls.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,853

Post#84 » by dougthonus » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:40 pm

The Bulls can't add a buyout guy and stay under the tax if Coby is going to hit his incentives.

His incentives aren't available anywhere that I'm aware of, but I'd imagine for a guy in his contract space, that there's a pretty good chance he's going to hit them given the season he's had.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,293

Post#85 » by prolific passer » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:53 pm

Akme's new slogan is aimin for the playin
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,232

Post#86 » by Red8911 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:32 am

Rose2Boozer wrote:Sign Javonte Green to a 10 day.

All 5 of them ?
Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 659

Post#87 » by Rose2Boozer » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:48 am

Red8911 wrote:
Rose2Boozer wrote:Sign Javonte Green to a 10 day.

All 5 of them ?

Absolutely
ROLES & HOLES
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,938

Post#88 » by ChettheJet » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:34 pm

Of the nothing that is available I'd just as soon skip picking up anybody on the buyout list.

I want to look at Windy City and pick between Derrick Favors for the few available minutes who has the NBA experience, Sanogo who for 8 minutes a game will at least get some NBA experience and Henry Drell who with 38 points in 32 minutes in the last game can at least shoot the ball, if they signed him for more than show, then let him get a taste and let's see what he looks like to talk about next year.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,232

Post#89 » by Red8911 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:25 pm

dougthonus wrote:The Bulls can't add a buyout guy and stay under the tax if Coby is going to hit his incentives.

His incentives aren't available anywhere that I'm aware of, but I'd imagine for a guy in his contract space, that there's a pretty good chance he's going to hit them given the season he's had.

No Bulls reporters has mentioned this though so I’m sure there’s a way. If we don’t know what the exact incentives are then we also wouldnt know if he hit them or not.

What if it’s making the All-Star team or averaging 30 a game ? KC said that the bulls will target Joe Harris, why say that if they can’t or won’t sign a buy out player ?
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 466

Post#90 » by step » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:47 pm

Red8911 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:The Bulls can't add a buyout guy and stay under the tax if Coby is going to hit his incentives.

No Bulls reporters has mentioned this though so I’m sure there’s a way. If we don’t know what the exact incentives are then we also wouldnt know if he hit them or not.

What if it’s making the All-Star team or averaging 30 a game ? KC said that the bulls will target Joe Harris, why say that if they can’t or won’t sign a buy out player ?

KC admits in the Bulls Central podcast that he really needs to do some digging here. I expect a follow up piece on it soon...
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#91 » by dougthonus » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:47 pm

Red8911 wrote:No Bulls reporters has mentioned this though so I’m sure there’s a way. If we don’t know what the exact incentives are then we also wouldnt know if he hit them or not.

I talked about it with KC in a direct conversation, and he said he doesn't know what the incentives are either, and he agrees my math is correct that with incentive we can't sign someone without hitting the tax.

Certainly it could be that his incentives are all-star team or something we know we won't hit, but that would be super weird to put into the deal of a dude who was a bench player making 11M, of course that doesn't mean it isn't that. Whatever it is, he didn't hit it last year or else it would be categorized as likely.

It's also possible there are a combination of incentives like 500k for being a regular starter and 1M for making the all star game and hit hitting half of them is enough to still give us room.

Also, I'd note that to date, we haven't signed anyone.
@doug_thonus on twitter
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#92 » by FriedRise » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:28 pm

Read on Twitter
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,467

Post#93 » by jnrjr79 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:43 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Red8911 wrote:No Bulls reporters has mentioned this though so I’m sure there’s a way. If we don’t know what the exact incentives are then we also wouldnt know if he hit them or not.

I talked about it with KC in a direct conversation, and he said he doesn't know what the incentives are either, and he agrees my math is correct that with incentive we can't sign someone without hitting the tax.

Certainly it could be that his incentives are all-star team or something we know we won't hit, but that would be super weird to put into the deal of a dude who was a bench player making 11M, of course that doesn't mean it isn't that. Whatever it is, he didn't hit it last year or else it would be categorized as likely.

It's also possible there are a combination of incentives like 500k for being a regular starter and 1M for making the all star game and hit hitting half of them is enough to still give us room.

Also, I'd note that to date, we haven't signed anyone.

I'm not sure what to make of "we haven't signed anyone" as a data point right now. The Bulls had a little luck in the buyout market last year, mostly b/c the could give a big role to Pat Bev and perhaps to some extent b/c he liked the idea of playing for his hometown team. I don't expect the Bulls to be big players for any of the top waiver guys at this point, so even if they could theoretically sign one, I'd imagine it'll take a while if it happens at all.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#94 » by GoBlue72391 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:59 pm

kodo wrote:I wouldn't see it as a good situation for a buyout target. In a game against the Grizzlies G-League team Derozan & Vuc played almost 40 minutes and took almost half the team's shots. Caruso is a starter and got 4.
What is a buyout player gonna get? 2 MPG & 0 shots?

Chicago is 27th in the league in shot attempts for the bench.
The 3 teams below us are all contenders (Boston, Phoenix, Sixers).

We're not offering getting touches in the game, and we're not offering a deep playoff run.

But we are offering continuity and competitiveness, so we've got that going for us.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,684

Post#95 » by sco » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:06 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
kodo wrote:I wouldn't see it as a good situation for a buyout target. In a game against the Grizzlies G-League team Derozan & Vuc played almost 40 minutes and took almost half the team's shots. Caruso is a starter and got 4.

We're not offering getting touches in the game, and we're not offering a deep playoff run.

But we are offering continuity and competitiveness, so we've got that going for us.

First, I am now convinced that Doug is right and Coby's incentives have made it impossible for us to add anyone and stay below the tax.

Now on the available shots for our bench. I feel like a big reason that our bench shots are so low is that we have almost exclusively defensively oriented bench players who shoot way below average on a per minute basis.
:clap:
FriedRise
RealGM

Post#96 » by FriedRise » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:12 pm

sco wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:

First, I am now convinced that Doug is right and Coby's incentives have made it impossible for us to add anyone and stay below the tax.

Now on the available shots for our bench. I feel like a big reason that our bench shots are so low is that we have almost exclusively defensively oriented bench players who shoot way below average on a per minute basis.

The issue with our bench is they're are all starting: Ayo, Caruso (when healthy), Craig, Drummond depending on matchup, and until this year, Coby.

We also play DeMar with the second unit quite a bit, so when they're on the floor, he's the one taking most of the shots.

Ideally, Jevon Carter comes in and shoots a 3 a minute like he did earlier in the season, but I feel like he must've gotten a talking to by the coach because that has completely stopped lol. He doesn't even shoot in transition anymore now, which I think is a shame. It's OK to pick up the pace sometimes, y'know.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#97 » by dougthonus » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:23 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:I'm not sure what to make of "we haven't signed anyone" as a data point right now. The Bulls had a little luck in the buyout market last year, mostly b/c the could give a big role to Pat Bev and perhaps to some extent b/c he liked the idea of playing for his hometown team. I don't expect the Bulls to be big players for any of the top waiver guys at this point, so even if they could theoretically sign one, I'd imagine it'll take a while if it happens at all.

I don't know that it is a datapoint that we haven't signed anyone yet. I'm just noting that we may not sign someone because we are avoiding signing someone due to the tax and not simply because we can't find anyone. Maybe it's also because we can't find anyone.

I would think given we have 7 healthy rotation caliber guys right now (8 if you want to include Carter, who has been hot garbage most of the year), and two developmental guys we'd probably be okay playing 0 minutes if trying to win (Terry, Philips), and then maybe or maybe not get Pat back, there probably is room for a vet to come in and get minutes.
@doug_thonus on twitter
FriedRise
RealGM

Post#98 » by FriedRise » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:38 pm

Read on Twitter
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,684

Post#99 » by sco » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:50 pm

dougthonus wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:I'm not sure what to make of "we haven't signed anyone" as a data point right now. The Bulls had a little luck in the buyout market last year, mostly b/c the could give a big role to Pat Bev and perhaps to some extent b/c he liked the idea of playing for his hometown team. I don't expect the Bulls to be big players for any of the top waiver guys at this point, so even if they could theoretically sign one, I'd imagine it'll take a while if it happens at all.

I don't know that it is a datapoint that we haven't signed anyone yet. I'm just noting that we may not sign someone because we are avoiding signing someone due to the tax and not simply because we can't find anyone. Maybe it's also because we can't find anyone.

I would think given we have 7 healthy rotation caliber guys right now (8 if you want to include Carter, who has been hot garbage most of the year), and two developmental guys we'd probably be okay playing 0 minutes if trying to win (Terry, Philips), and then maybe or maybe not get Pat back, there probably is room for a vet to come in and get minutes.

Maybe they are waiting on Pat's prognosis before they pick someone? That said, I would think they'd be looking for help at the 4/5 anyway, but maybe it's a choice between the 4 or the 5.
:clap:
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,467

Post#100 » by jnrjr79 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:45 pm

dougthonus wrote:

I definitely agree that there's room to give out some minutes. My only point was even if the Bulls can sign a buyout guy (and as you noted, there's reason to believe they cannot), I'm not sure it would have happened yet, because the Bulls aren't going to be at the top of anyone's list.

Return to Chicago Bulls