Image ImageImage Image

The Cap and Luxury Tax situation in 2024

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,914

Re: The Cap and Luxury Tax situation in 2024 

Post#41 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:29 pm

sco wrote:I went to the Capulator site and it seems on the fritz when I tried to make mods for the Bulls. Anyone else having trouble there?

I just wondered if there is a scenario that keeps Zach and Pat, but frees up enough space via not resigning Demar, medically retiring Ball, trading guys other than Coby, Ayo and AC who are tradeable without giving us assets to dump (i.e. not Vuc), where we end-up with enough cap space to sign a MAX level contract?

New realism patch where the site won't let you trade Bulls players.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,682

Post#42 » by sco » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:31 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
sco wrote:I went to the Capulator site and it seems on the fritz when I tried to make mods for the Bulls. Anyone else having trouble there?

I just wondered if there is a scenario that keeps Zach and Pat, but frees up enough space via not resigning Demar, medically retiring Ball, trading guys other than Coby, Ayo and AC who are tradeable without giving us assets to dump (i.e. not Vuc), where we end-up with enough cap space to sign a MAX level contract?

New realism patch where the site won't let you trade Bulls players.

Nice! Too bad the problem with the site is that won't let us resign our own guys. Where was that functionaliy when we needed it over the past couple seasons!?!
:clap:
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#43 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:37 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:Luxury Tax line is estimated to be $172m (it's $165 right now). We have about $130m in guaranteed salary. Only $350K of Terry Taylor's contract is guaranteed, which frees up another $1.8 mill bringing us to about $128m in guaranteed salary.

So here's the best-case scenario:

Resign DeRozan - 2-year - contract at $26m per year.
Resign Patrick Williams at qualifying offer $12.97m
Resign Drummond at the bi-annual exception 2-years $4.5m

There's a lot of assumptions here:

1.) DeRozan would have to accept a slight reduction from his current salary.
2.) Patrick Williams would have to accept the Q/O. If he doesn't come back this season or if he is in and out of the rotation, I think there's a solid chance this happens. It allows him to prove he deserves a big deal and doesn't lock him into something long-term at a discount.
3.) This is an improvement over Drummond's current contract, but he might be playing himself into MLE territory.

Here's what would help:

1.) If we can offload Jevon Carter.
2.) If we can convince DeRozan to take less for the good of the team or at least strong-arm him to accept market value, which ideally will be less than what he currently is making.
3.) Offloading Dalen Terry if we don't believe in his development.

Pat is not taking the qualifying offer unless he has a horrible finish to the season.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The Bulls made him an offer, but he and his representatives wanted more. He may just try to bet on himself again, if the Bulls stand pat or close to what they offered him last off season.

And some other team that can’t attract good free agents will definitely take a gamble on him. And the Bulls will have no choice but match.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,236

Post#44 » by HomoSapien » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:50 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
Pat is not taking the qualifying offer unless he has a horrible finish to the season.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The Bulls made him an offer, but he and his representatives wanted more. He may just try to bet on himself again, if the Bulls stand pat or close to what they offered him last off season.

And some other team that can’t attract good free agents will definitely take a gamble on him. And the Bulls will have no choice but match.

They definitely will? How do you know?

Not that it means anything, but Hoopshype and Bleacher Report both have Pat ranked outside of the top 30 of 2024 free-agents. Given his lack of clear development and this season currently being derailed by injury, I think we have the makings of a QO situation.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,052

Post#45 » by vxmike » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:23 am

dougthonus wrote:
vxmike wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:Given the non-moves we made, it’s imperative to keep Drummomd. The team is significantly worse without him and we supposedly passed up draft capital to keep him. If the intention isn’t to resign him, we needed to make a trade.

Problem is without a medical retirement for Lonzo I don’t think they can re-sign DDR, PWill and Drummond and remain under the tax.

Not sure Drummond is going to impact that situation much if any. His market was "quality player for a vet min contract" not "quality player I want to pay a lot of money to".

Agree but he's outplayed his contract for sure. The Bulls are going to get an inferior player next year at the vet min if they don't resign him.

I'm beyond confused why they haven't medically retired Lonzo yet.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,849

Post#46 » by dougthonus » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:38 pm

vxmike wrote:Agree but he's outplayed his contract for sure. The Bulls are going to get an inferior player next year at the vet min if they don't resign him.

I agree there is a fair chance we'll get someone worse if he leaves, and also a fair chance someone goes above the min, and it may be true that it will be hard to match anything at all above the min, but I also think there is a fair chance he's back on the min.

They can't apply for medical retirement this year, because they applied for the DPE which was pretty stupid given they knew they weren't going to use it because they were so close to the tax. They should have applied for medical retirement instead.

That said, they may have been unwilling to take the risk that he plays 12 games next year and comes back on the books even if granted medical retirement.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#47 » by League Circles » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:57 pm

Barring trade or signing players this is our rotation LOL:

C: Vuc, Sanogo
"PF": Phillips, Terry, Taylor
SF: Caruso, Bitim
SG: Zach, Ayo
PG: Coby, Carter, Ball

Just brutal. I guess we'll add our pick to that mess above.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,682

Post#48 » by sco » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:21 pm

League Circles wrote:Barring trade or signing players this is our rotation LOL:

First, I think in that scenario we'd play Ayo at SF and Caruso/Ball at PF. But the follow-up is how much under the cap would we be in that scenario? And what would that go up to if Ball medically retires?
:clap:
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,186

Post#49 » by _txchilibowl_ » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:23 pm

League Circles wrote:Barring trade or signing players this is our rotation LOL:

And likely DDR and Pat. Less brutal.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#50 » by dougthonus » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:58 pm

Posted on Twitter, but for next year, if you assume we'll just kick the can down into the future to enable another year of continuity and overpay Pat because he's our guy and we'll ignore the injury risk:

Waive/Stretch Lonzo
DeMar 3/90
Pat 5/120
Drummond 2/10

Fits under the tax
@doug_thonus on twitter
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#51 » by League Circles » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:56 pm

dougthonus wrote:Posted on Twitter, but for next year, if you assume we'll just kick the can down into the future to enable another year of continuity and overpay Pat because he's our guy and we'll ignore the injury risk:

Waive/Stretch Lonzo
DeMar 3/90
Pat 5/120
Drummond 2/10

Fits under the tax

Good info. Yeah, I think they'll hopefully explore moving Vuc and/or Zach and/or Carter in a larger trade involving Caruso, but if they don't, I agree with the implication that they'll stretch-waive Ball if needed to keep Patrick Demar and Drummond (or maybe even pay tax) before letting them walk at salaries they like (if tax weren't a roadblock).
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,464

Post#52 » by jnrjr79 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:04 pm

dougthonus wrote:
vxmike wrote:Agree but he's outplayed his contract for sure. The Bulls are going to get an inferior player next year at the vet min if they don't resign him.

I agree there is a fair chance we'll get someone worse if he leaves, and also a fair chance someone goes above the min, and it may be true that it will be hard to match anything at all above the min, but I also think there is a fair chance he's back on the min.

They can't apply for medical retirement this year, because they applied for the DPE which was pretty stupid given they knew they weren't going to use it because they were so close to the tax. They should have applied for medical retirement instead.

That said, they may have been unwilling to take the risk that he plays 12 games next year and comes back on the books even if granted medical retirement.

I assume they didn't apply for medical retirement because it was unlikely to be granted. Lonzo had just had a surgery and I doubt an independent physician would have been willing to declare his career over before Lonzo made it through the anticipated rehab period. In that case, you might as well apply for the DPE, even though it appears the Bulls will not end up using it.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,323

Post#53 » by kodo » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:13 pm

This looks like a no with quick napkin math. If we're keeping Zach, Coby, AC, and Ayo and resigning Pat (I'm going to assume $15M for now since we have no idea, could be more and can't be much less). Trading away many of the other players doesn't do much because they barely make more than a min roster spot, the only really cap move is trading Jevon Carter and his $6.5M isn't that much over a roster spot. If you get rid of him for a min roster spot it looks like we have ~$15M in cap space. I'm going to assume even with a more accurate calculation, we're not getting a $40M max contract in there. Zach+Vuc+Coby+Caruso+Ayo = $92M, even without Derozan & Williams.

The Ball medical retirement might also not happen. If he can play 1 game but has to miss 81, he can't be ruled out medically. And he seems dead set on making an NBA return.
Guru
Starter
And1: 218

Post#54 » by Guru » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:21 pm

dougthonus wrote:Posted on Twitter, but for next year, if you assume we'll just kick the can down into the future to enable another year of continuity and overpay Pat because he's our guy and we'll ignore the injury risk:

Waive/Stretch Lonzo
DeMar 3/90
Pat 5/120
Drummond 2/10

Fits under the tax

I'd Expect DeMar more in the 20 Million range. Is that possible?

This plan makes the most sense with the hand we have. Hold on to assets and trade them later.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach

Post#55 » by jnrjr79 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:51 pm

Guru wrote:

Waive/Stretch Lonzo
DeMar 3/90
Pat 5/120
Drummond 2/10

Fits under the tax

I'd Expect DeMar more in the 20 Million range. Is that possible?

This plan makes the most sense with the hand we have. Hold on to assets and trade them later.

I assumed DeMar would be more like $30 million given his resurgence with the Bulls, but a few weeks back on the Bulls Talk podcast, KC suggested DeMar's annual salary in a new deal would likely be slightly less than his annual salary now, so maybe $20M/season is possible. For him to agree to that, I assume this would minimally be a 3-year deal.

I am also slightly skeptical that Drummond won't do better than $5M/year after what he's shown with increased minutes.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,154

Post#56 » by MrSparkle » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:54 pm

Having a hard time seeing Pat get more than $15m salary. His 4th year numbers are all below career averages (flat at best), which are already disappointing for a #4 pick. Coby exited his 4th season with better momentum than Pat. The defense and ball handling were noticeably better. Realistically, we should be looking at a 40/3 deal on the really high side, with a team option. Personally I think 30/3 sounds about right, but it's hard to serve MLE money to a 22yo RFA. I'd move higher if the team has the 3rd year option. I think guaranteeing Pat anything more than 3y is ludicrous, unless it's Ayo money.

This FO didn't want to give Lauri more than $15m on 62% TS with a 15 PER, 14/5 averages in a reduced role (pushed back to 4th big essentially). Pat's at 52% TS, 11 PER, 10/4 averages. I get that he's an effective defender (net neutral, for the record), but come on now. It would be absurd to pay him more than $15m. Craig has perfectly demonstrated that Pat's production is replaceable with the vet. min.

Demar should get 60/2, as his production is still amongst the elite. No idea where they go with this one. The other option is just giving him a 2y max (so like, 80/2 or something?), and only partially guaranteeing next year.

Drummond should get MLE money (20/2), or else he'll walk.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#57 » by dougthonus » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:26 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:I assume they didn't apply for medical retirement because it was unlikely to be granted. Lonzo had just had a surgery and I doubt an independent physician would have been willing to declare his career over before Lonzo made it through the anticipated rehab period. In that case, you might as well apply for the DPE, even though it appears the Bulls will not end up using it.

I think they'd have had a fair chance of having it granted. He was already expected to be out the entire season which would mark 2.5 seasons from the same injury and the 3rd surgery, and the surgery was described as experimental and no one ever had it and came back to play again.

I think probably it's more likely they wanted to see if he could come back and are legitimately holding out hope for him this year, but who knows. In some ways, the reasons don't matter. Where we are at this moment is we can apply next after July 1st, so it won't be granted in time to use the money, but if it is granted it would free up breathing room for trades.
@doug_thonus on twitter
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach

Post#58 » by jnrjr79 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:43 pm

dougthonus wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:I assume they didn't apply for medical retirement because it was unlikely to be granted. Lonzo had just had a surgery and I doubt an independent physician would have been willing to declare his career over before Lonzo made it through the anticipated rehab period. In that case, you might as well apply for the DPE, even though it appears the Bulls will not end up using it.

I think they'd have had a fair chance of having it granted. He was already expected to be out the entire season which would mark 2.5 seasons from the same injury and the 3rd surgery, and the surgery was described as experimental and no one ever had it and came back to play again.

I think probably it's more likely they wanted to see if he could come back and are legitimately holding out hope for him this year, but who knows. In some ways, the reasons don't matter. Where we are at this moment is we can apply next after July 1st, so it won't be granted in time to use the money, but if it is granted it would free up breathing room for trades.

Agree to disagree, I guess, but I think there's basically a 0% chance it would have been granted. The prior missed time is basically medically irrelevant. The question really comes down to "does this last surgery have a chance of allowing Lonzo to play again," and the experimental nature of the surgery actually makes it harder to answer that question definitively in the negative.

Here's the relevant section of the CBA:

The determination of whether a player has suffered a
career-ending injury or illness shall be made by a physician selected
jointly by the NBA and the Players Association or, upon agreement
of the NBA and the Players Association, a Fitness-to-Play Panel
established under Article XXII. A player shall be deemed to have
suffered a career-ending injury or illness if it is determined (i) by such
a physician or Fitness-to-Play Panel that the player has an injury or
illness that (x) prevents him from playing skilled professional
basketball at an NBA level for the duration of his career,
or
(y) substantially impairs his ability to play skilled professional
basketball at an NBA level and is of such severity that continuing to
play professional basketball at an NBA level would subject the player
to medically unacceptable risk of suffering a life-threatening or
permanently disabling injury or illness, or (ii) by such Fitness-to-Play
Panel that the player has an injury or illness that would create a
materially elevated risk of death, paralysis, or other permanent spinal
injury for the player under the procedures set forth in Article XXII,
Section 11.

Applying this standard, I just don't see how you can take the current state of play (Lonzo has surgery, the anticipated recovery time is a year, and after that, there isn't a lot of history with this particular procedure to let you know if he could return to the NBA) and expect that an independent doctor is going to determine that Lonzo's career is over. But, fast forward to next year, when Lonzo's anticipated rehab time will be over, and it would seem a lot more likely you could make that determination.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#59 » by dougthonus » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:00 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:Agree to disagree, I guess, but I think there's basically a 0% chance it would have been granted. The prior missed time is basically medically irrelevant. The question really comes down to "does this last surgery have a chance of allowing Lonzo to play again," and the experimental nature of the surgery actually makes it harder to answer that question definitively in the negative.

or
Section 11.

Applying this standard, I just don't see how you can take the current state of play (Lonzo has surgery, the anticipated recovery time is a year, and after that, there isn't a lot of history with this particular procedure to let you know if he could return to the NBA) and expect that an independent doctor is going to determine that Lonzo's career is over. But, fast forward to next year, when Lonzo's anticipated rehab time will be over, and it would seem a lot more likely you could make that determination.

I don't know if it would have been granted, but applying last year wouldn't have stopped you from applying again this year.

I would tend to think "anticipated recovery" is somewhat meaningless in this context, as it's never happened in the history of the NBA. There is nothing to say that he will ever be able to return to a pro-athlete level after this procedure, no one has ever done so after this procedure. The fact that he'll recover in a year doesn't really mean anything given that no one has ever recovered from this and played in the NBA.

I don't know that this is an exhaustive list, but it seems pretty well researched:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/k5f8ws/longest_time_off_due_to_injury_in_the_nba/

Not a single player has ever missed 2.5 years with the same injury and come back successfully.

Greg Oden (knee) came back and played 23 games one season then retired and basically wasn't an NBA caliber player when he came back but some team hoped he might continue to improve but didn't.

Magic Johnson missed 4 years with HIV, but that's a totally unrelated type of thing.

Roberson, Embiid, and Thompson missed the same amount of time, but both had multiple major injuries during a recovery from their 1st injury not one injury they treated over and over again and those injuries all had defined recovery times that outside of stacking on top of each other players had returned from in the past.

If Lonzo is to come back and be an NBA player, he will be only the 2nd after Oden to miss so much time with a single injury and return at all, and the 1st to ever do so after this procedure.

No idea if that's enough to clear the hurdle of medical retirement. Maybe it wouldn't be. I'm definitely not trying to say they'd have gotten it for sure, but I think the case is stronger than you are giving it credit for. If they were willing to be done with Lonzo, it wouldn't have mattered to try though as they could try again this year.

The reasons against trying last year are:
1: They think he might come back and want him on the roster
2: They want his contract on the books to trade as a cheap deal due to insurance
3: They want the option waive/stretch him this year rather than having to stretch him last year in the case they lose the medical retirement claim and aren't granted relief (not 100%, but I believe if they went for it last year they'd have had to make teh decision to stretch last year)
@doug_thonus on twitter
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach

Post#60 » by jnrjr79 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:23 pm

dougthonus wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:Agree to disagree, I guess, but I think there's basically a 0% chance it would have been granted. The prior missed time is basically medically irrelevant. The question really comes down to "does this last surgery have a chance of allowing Lonzo to play again," and the experimental nature of the surgery actually makes it harder to answer that question definitively in the negative.

or
Section 11.

I don't know if it would have been granted, but applying last year wouldn't have stopped you from applying again this year.

I would tend to think "anticipated recovery" is somewhat meaningless in this context, as it's never happened in the history of the NBA. There is nothing to say that he will ever be able to return to a pro-athlete level after this procedure, no one has ever done so after this procedure. The fact that he'll recover in a year doesn't really mean anything given that no one has ever recovered from this and played in the NBA.

I don't know that this is an exhaustive list, but it seems pretty well researched:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/k5f8ws/longest_time_off_due_to_injury_in_the_nba/

Not a single player has ever missed 2.5 years with the same injury and come back successfully.

Greg Oden (knee) came back and played 23 games one season then retired and basically wasn't an NBA caliber player when he came back but some team hoped he might continue to improve but didn't.

Magic Johnson missed 4 years with HIV, but that's a totally unrelated type of thing.

Roberson, Embiid, and Thompson missed the same amount of time, but both had multiple major injuries during a recovery from their 1st injury not one injury they treated over and over again and those injuries all had defined recovery times that outside of stacking on top of each other players had returned from in the past.

If Lonzo is to come back and be an NBA player, he will be only the 2nd after Oden to miss so much time with a single injury and return at all, and the 1st to ever do so after this procedure.

No idea if that's enough to clear the hurdle of medical retirement. Maybe it wouldn't be. I'm definitely not trying to say they'd have gotten it for sure, but I think the case is stronger than you are giving it credit for. If they were willing to be done with Lonzo, it wouldn't have mattered to try though as they could try again this year.

The reasons against trying last year are:
1: They think he might come back and want him on the roster
2: They want his contract on the books to trade as a cheap deal due to insurance
3: They want the option waive/stretch him this year rather than having to stretch him last year in the case they lose the medical retirement claim and aren't granted relief (not 100%, but I believe if they went for it last year they'd have had to make teh decision to stretch last year)

I'd be with you here if it were as simple as "he's been out 2.5 years as a result of a single injury," but I think some of the issue here is there seems to have been a ton of diagnostic confusion about what was actually wrong and then sort of just going in and cleaning up what they could find without really knowing if the conditions being treated were the actual cause of his pain. Supposedly this last surgery was done as a result of finally figuring out what was wrong and doing the procedure that is appropriate in response to it. If true, you can kind of throw the first 1.5 years and procedures out the window, because they don't appear to have actually been treatments for the injury he suffered.

Interestingly, it looks like the Bulls can waive/stretch Lonzo and then subsequently still get medical retirement, as long as they apply for the medical retirement during the original term of the contract.

A Team may only apply to have a player’s Salary
excluded from its Team Salary pursuant to this Section 4(h) during
the term covered by the player’s Contract. For clarity, if a player’s
Salary is excluded from Team Salary pursuant to this Section 4(h), if,
at the time of such exclusion, the Team has previously elected to
stretch any Salary in respect of one or more current or future Salary
Cap Years pursuant to Section 7(d)(6), such stretched Salary shall
also be excluded.

Return to Chicago Bulls