Image ImageImage Image

AK has “green light” to rebuild - doesn’t wanna

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,755

AK has “green light” to rebuild - doesn’t wanna 

Post#1 » by DuckIII » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:41 am

From ESPN and AK’s very own and very stupid mouth:

"I'm always going to look at how to improve the team. For now, what makes us more competitive and for the future. We didn't have those options available."

Karnisovas stated that he has the green light from ownership to enter a full rebuild, but he continues to double down on his faith in the core of LaVine, DeRozan and Vucevic. The Bulls have been to one playoff series and won one playoff game in the past three seasons. And furthermore, since Lonzo Ball -- who Karnisovas said "hopefully in a perfect world" will be ready to play next season -- was injured in January 2022, the Bulls are 84-93 in the regular season.

"A shakeup doesn't guarantee your success," Karnisovas said. "Words like rebuild and all this stuff is thrown around, I think this group gives you the best chance to compete."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39486456/bulls-stand-pat-nba-trade-deadline-3rd-straight-year

The tail is wagging the dog. Please put to rest the defenses of AK that try to portray him as trapped by ownership dictates. The opposite is true.

I’ve been posting here for decades. I consider myself, generally speaking, pro management. Or at least very patient and understanding of management and avoid hindsight analysis, etc.

But the hell with this guy. I’ve never seen delusional incompetence like this in any FO of any team I have ever rooted for in my entire life.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,551

Re: AK has “green light” to rebuild - doesn’t wanna 

Post#2 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:48 am

Best chane to compete for 8th place....7th when healthy!
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,455

Post#3 » by LateNight » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:55 am

Fair enough for not wanting to rebuild. I want them to trade Zach but I can understand that it might not be worth doing right now. That’s fair - I just worry all these decisions will continue to compound. They won’t get off Zach’s contract, then they’ll end up unable to make some other move later on or have to give up picks to do it if it gets worse. Just nightmarish situation
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,135

Post#4 » by NecessaryEvil » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:56 am

I thought we had the next Morey when AK came here. I was sold a dream.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,154

Post#5 » by MrSparkle » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:01 am

I kind of feel like Paxson may come out of retirement to get the franchise back on track if next year looks stale.
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,186

Post#6 » by _txchilibowl_ » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:24 am

Why do we continually take the bait on these nothing burgers? It's word salad. It's GM speak. It's what they all do.

He's working behind closed doors. I'm thankful he's not out there bemoaning his roster and simultaneously devaluing them league wide.

The odds are pretty good that there wasn't a deal that was beneficial to the Bulls. So we wait. Better than going backwards.
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 978

Post#7 » by ScrantonBulls » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:24 am

MrSparkle wrote:I kind of feel like Paxson may come out of retirement to get the franchise back on track if next year looks stale.

That's so ****ing hilarious, because it is so on point. I never thought about it. Just like when Jerry hired his old buddy TLR as the manager of the Sox. I can totally see him stepping in and hiring a trusted friend/employee.
ScrantonBulls
Senior

Post#8 » by ScrantonBulls » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:26 am

_txchilibowl_ wrote:Why do we continually take the bait on these nothing burgers? It's word salad. It's GM speak. It's what they all do.

He's working behind closed doors. I'm thankful he's not out there bemoaning his roster and simultaneously devaluing them league wide.

The odds are pretty good that there wasn't a deal that was beneficial to the Bulls. So we wait. Better than going backwards.

Make sure to work your core muscles with all that water you're carrying for AK.
_txchilibowl_
Starter

Post#9 » by _txchilibowl_ » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:26 am

ScrantonBulls wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:Why do we continually take the bait on these nothing burgers? It's word salad. It's GM speak. It's what they all do.

Make sure to work your core muscles with all that water your carrying for AK.

Sorry I don't hate my favorite team. I'll get to work on that.
ScrantonBulls
Senior

Post#10 » by ScrantonBulls » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:29 am

_txchilibowl_ wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:

Make sure to work your core muscles with all that water your carrying for AK.

Does liking them mean giving your undivided loyalty to the front office, despite their performance?
_txchilibowl_
Starter

Post#11 » by _txchilibowl_ » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:30 am

ScrantonBulls wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:Make sure to work your core muscles with all that water your carrying for AK.

Does liking them mean giving your undivided loyalty to the front office, despite their performance?

No. But that's not what's happening here. Not that you care. But hey it's the internet, right?
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,755

Post#12 » by DuckIII » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:27 am

No, it’s not. And we’ve had two GMs in a row who have been unusually frank and transparent. Though AK very rarely speaks in public, history has shown that he is frank and telegraphic.

He doesn’t want to rebuild. Has never wanted to. Has made statements for years to that effect. And now we know he’s the one driving the bus.

My hope is that since he’s calling the shots, perhaps it’s the owners giving him enough rope to hang himself with.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#13 » by kyrv » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:57 am

DuckIII wrote:

No, it’s not. And we’ve had two GMs in a row who have been unusually frank and transparent. Though AK very rarely speaks in public, history has shown that he is frank and telegraphic.

He doesn’t want to rebuild. Has never wanted to. Has made statements for years to that effect. And now we know he’s the one driving the bus.

My hope is that since he’s calling the shots, perhaps it’s the owners giving him enough rope to hang himself with.

Right, some believe if DD or Lavine or player X leave, they'll be "forced" to rebuild. As you note, they have never wanted to rebuild and their words and deeds are crystal clear and transparent.

Honestly if I had to guess, it's more likely they are replaced than waking up one day in full tank mode
Peelboy
Starter
And1: 1,014

Post#14 » by Peelboy » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:11 am

DuckIII wrote:From ESPN and AK’s very own and very stupid mouth:

"I'm always going to look at how to improve the team. For now, what makes us more competitive and for the future. We didn't have those options available."

Karnisovas stated that he has the green light from ownership to enter a full rebuild, but he continues to double down on his faith in the core of LaVine, DeRozan and Vucevic. The Bulls have been to one playoff series and won one playoff game in the past three seasons. And furthermore, since Lonzo Ball -- who Karnisovas said "hopefully in a perfect world" will be ready to play next season -- was injured in January 2022, the Bulls are 84-93 in the regular season.

"A shakeup doesn't guarantee your success," Karnisovas said. "Words like rebuild and all this stuff is thrown around, I think this group gives you the best chance to compete."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39486456/bulls-stand-pat-nba-trade-deadline-3rd-straight-year

The tail is wagging the dog. Please put to rest the defenses of AK that try to portray him as trapped by ownership dictates. The opposite is true.

I’ve been posting here for decades. I consider myself, generally speaking, pro management. Or at least very patient and understanding of management and avoid hindsight analysis, etc.

But the hell with this guy. I’ve never seen delusional incompetence like this in any FO of any team I have ever rooted for in my entire life.

This is the best phrase to describe the current regime. Add in arrogance and it’s 100%.

So the stated goal is constantly being 6-10, and that’s better than being lower to enhance the chance of being top 3? And the fallback is ‘nothing is guaranteed?’

The only thing guaranteed here is mediocrity or worse as long as these clowns are in charge.
Peelboy
Starter
And1: 1,014

Post#15 » by Peelboy » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:14 am

kyrv wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Right, some believe if DD or Lavine or player X leave, they'll be "forced" to rebuild. As you note, they have never wanted to rebuild and their words and deeds are crystal clear and transparent.

Honestly if I had to guess, it's more likely they are replaced than waking up one day in full tank mode

Problem is if DD/Zach or whoever leave, this crew seems more likely to trade lottery picks to get to their favorite 6-10 slot versus rebuilding. At least that’s what the actions and words both say.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#16 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:19 am

No Akne(intentional). The city deserves a winner. No one is really proud of the Bulls now. Indifference at best.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#17 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:21 am

Peelboy wrote:
kyrv wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Problem is if DD/Zach or whoever leave, this crew seems more likely to trade lottery picks to get to their favorite 6-10 slot versus rebuilding. At least that’s what the actions and words both say.

Reinsdorf hired an arrogant idiot. It’s over.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#18 » by Dan Z » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:33 am

AK: "I'm always going to look at how to improve the team. For now, what makes us more competitive and for the future. We didn't have those options available."

It's funny that he said "and for the future". What future is he talking about? One with an aging DDR and Vucevic? A roster that has a limited ceiling that won't go very far?
kyrv
RealGM

Post#19 » by kyrv » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:47 am

Peelboy wrote:
kyrv wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

I agree, and they can even use previous non-moves to support it. Kind of frustrating.
kyrv
RealGM

Post#20 » by kyrv » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:49 am

Dan Z wrote:AK: "I'm always going to look at how to improve the team. For now, what makes us more competitive and for the future. We didn't have those options available."

It's funny that he said "and for the future". What future is he talking about? One with an aging DDR and Vucevic? A roster that has a limited ceiling that won't go very far?

That's the future he's talking about! Ever feel like they living a different reality than the rest of us?

Return to Chicago Bulls