Image ImageImage Image

Who isn't mad at Arturas?

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

PJSteven22
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Re: Who isn't mad at Arturas? 

Post#121 » by PJSteven22 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:27 pm

nekorajo wrote:
prolific passer wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

Very true that he didn't want the job but man pre Gar he wasn't bad at all. Post Gar there was a few segments of bad luck and people like to rip on the return for Butler, but it was not a bad return at all as far as things go in retrospect.

Paxson scouted, drafted, and developed players well but the trading out of Chandler and Aldridge for Wallace and Tyrus really got to him for some odd reason.

It should have gotten to him. Young Tyson Chandler for old PJ Brown was a cheapskate move. Tyrus for Aldridge was total nonsense. Aldridge clearly established himself as the better prospect in college. As much as I like Pax, I've never gotten over those 2 moves either.

Say what you want but those two moves aren’t worse than the Vuc and Lauri trade. Tyson Chandler and Scott Skiles didn’t really get along so one of them had to go. Plus that was the off-season they signed Ben Wallace. It didn’t really make sense to keep both. Plus he wasn’t the player that he became. Add in the fact that they drafted a better version of Chandler in Joakim Noah. It’s seems kind of obtuse to get stuck on a move like that especially since we ended up with a better version not too long after that. As for the Tyrus Thomas/Lamarcus Aldridge swap. They are not in that position without Pax making a terrific move to send Eddy Curry to the Knicks which landed them the second pick in 2006 and a pick swap in 2007. If they get Aldridge they probably aren’t bad enough to get D. Rose in 2008. Plus when it was time to move Tyrus Thomas, Pax did it and got a first back from the Charlotte. These two moves didn’t really hurt the Bulls in the long run because he was able to quickly pivot off of those “mistakes”. It would be like a Knicks fan being upset at the Knicks for not drafting Haliburton. Yeah they didn’t get the BPA but they still turned around and got a stud PG shortly after that.
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,293

Post#122 » by prolific passer » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:34 pm

PJSteven22 wrote:
nekorajo wrote:
prolific passer wrote:Paxson scouted, drafted, and developed players well but the trading out of Chandler and Aldridge for Wallace and Tyrus really got to him for some odd reason.

It should have gotten to him. Young Tyson Chandler for old PJ Brown was a cheapskate move. Tyrus for Aldridge was total nonsense. Aldridge clearly established himself as the better prospect in college. As much as I like Pax, I've never gotten over those 2 moves either.

Say what you want but those two moves aren’t worse than the Vuc and Lauri trade. Tyson Chandler and Scott Skiles didn’t really get along so one of them had to go. Plus that was the off-season they signed Ben Wallace. It didn’t really make sense to keep both. Plus he wasn’t the player that he became. Add in the fact that they drafted a better version of Chandler in Joakim Noah. It’s seems kind of obtuse to get stuck on a move like that especially since we ended up with a better version not too long after that. As for the Tyrus Thomas/Lamarcus Aldridge swap. They are not in that position without Pax making a terrific move to send Eddy Curry to the Knicks which landed them the second pick in 2006 and a pick swap in 2007. If they get Aldridge they probably aren’t bad enough to get D. Rose in 2008. Plus when it was time to move Tyrus Thomas, Pax did it and got a first back from the Charlotte. These two moves didn’t really hurt the Bulls in the long run because he was able to quickly pivot off of those “mistakes”. It would be like a Knicks fan being upset at the Knicks for not drafting Haliburton. Yeah they didn’t get the BPA but they still turned around and got a stud PG shortly after that.

Was Noah better than Chandler? Reason why people talk about that swap was because how much Chandler and Aldridge improved in 07-08 compared to Wallace and Tyrus. Bulls probably don't draft Rose but also maybe Kirk doesn't just lose his touch also.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,856

Post#123 » by dougthonus » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:34 pm

League Circles wrote:I know you have reason to think you're being objective with Wagner at #8. My point is that I trivially came up with something just as objective that had a far, far worse outcome than yours.

Except that I used a site that I trust more than you, and Mitchell wasn't in their next four guys and was taken later in reality, so actual draft intel and actual results would point to it being far less likely we would take him. Your "just as objective" pick at #8 is to take the worst guy available who actually went 12th. That is called cherry picking.

My point is that there is no objective truth of who teams would or should have picked at a given spot under different circumstances. And also that Franz Wagner is probably a LOT more likely to be perceived as worse in 3 years than he is now. Go look at any draft 3 years out from it, identify the guys perceived as worth something, and then fast forward 4 years and see how it compares. There are a lot more busts from year 3 to 7 (potential to prime) than there are successes.

Sure, my argument isn't hinged on Franz Wagner. As I noted, you could take the other guys too, and it'd still be better.

Yes the Rose era was great. Which is very very notable because it wasn't very talented outside of Rose, wasn't the result of a group of young guys with promise all developing together, and came unexpectedly out of the ashes of the directionless, poor to mediocre 07-09 teams. That team very very heavily relied on coaching and limited talent veteran free agents.

Yes, it was the consequence of getting lucky and already having a group of young, supporting stars coming into their own. Let's see if we had Wagner, Lauri, Coby, and then got lucky and got a star in the draft, would we have an era similar to the Rose era again? Sure seems like we would, because we'd have all the pieces ready to compete for a long time.

The Butler era as I define it (after Rose was traded) was some of the worst ball I've ever seen. Even though I love Jimmy. Talk about a team with no future. Half of our roster now is better than all but 1-3 guys on that squad. Then he was traded and we tried again at something approximating the Krause and Skiles era, with similar results.

I would generally lump together the post Rose ACL tear into one era, it wasn't all defined by Butler, but those 5 seasons before you rebuilt only in 2 of them:
2012-13: 2nd round exit (no rose)
2013-14: 1st round exit (effectively no rose)
2014-15: 2nd round exit (With Rose as ~3rd or 4th best player)
2015-16: missed playoffs (with Rose as ~3rd or 4th best player)
2016-17: 1st round exit (no rose)

The Butler as best player era is probably the final 3 seasons of that grouping, which is still a playoff series win, and two playoff appearances, which is still a hell of a lot better than what we have going on now. We also maintained cleaner books and weren't out future assets which we still are now.

Again, I'm not sure what you see in this current regime that you think is even remotely good. We are missing the playoffs regularly while making win now moves when 16/30 teams make the playoffs. Assuming we miss the playoffs this year, we are going to be out of the playoffs for three out of four years and have the worst cap situation and worst asset situation that we've had since the end of the Krause era. He loses on everything. He loses on money. He loses on success. He loses on future asset base. He has not advanced any reasonable goal that one would have for their front office. He has experienced no success and made the future worse.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,186

Post#124 » by _txchilibowl_ » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:38 pm

I think you have to factor in the improvement in organizational morale with AKME. This place was a dumpster fire under GarPax in that regard. Accusations of spying on their own players, reputations of being cheap, messy breakups with coaches (including the occasional choking).

I think it's been a major plus for the current management team and often goes overlooked by the fans.
PJSteven22
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#125 » by PJSteven22 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:47 pm

prolific passer wrote:
PJSteven22 wrote:
nekorajo wrote:

Was Noah better than Chandler? Reason why people talk about that swap was because how much Chandler and Aldridge improved in 07-08 compared to Wallace and Tyrus. Bulls probably don't draft Rose but also maybe Kirk doesn't just lose his touch also.

Noah was definitely better than Chandler. He just didn’t have as long of a career as Chandler. Kirk started to get nagging injuries (which affected his play) before Rose got there.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,666

Post#126 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:58 pm

PJSteven22 wrote:
nekorajo wrote:
prolific passer wrote:Paxson scouted, drafted, and developed players well but the trading out of Chandler and Aldridge for Wallace and Tyrus really got to him for some odd reason.

I agree with most of this. One there was a ton of pressure for the Bulls sign a high profile FA and Wallace was the guy (I mean better than ERob, if you all recall) Bulls struck out on signing all high end FA's. Yes terrible in retrospect, but at the time it was needed for public perception. Also known for drafting to conservative and took a swing with Tyrus. So you have 3 guys who basically can't score but can all be athletic defenders... one has to go for sure. Now LaMarcus would have been smarter but he was considered a high floor low ceiling guy, and Pax likely went against his better judgement and made that trade trying to find a stud. Aldridge just looks, feels and smells like a pax guy.

I am pretty much always been a Pax defender... not a Gar defender at all but always hgave liked Pax. His brother also got some raw deals, particularly Boozer who kinda screwed his legacy in Cleveland. Anyway John was never bad IMHO. He was burnt out no doubt but at least he was smart. I also am one that never believed that Donyell Marshall was a sticking point on Wade.... pretty sure Reilly was always getting his guy and Kirk was a fair pick where they picked granted a legendary draft but no one was trading back because of that. Just like sucky drafts no one is trading up.

We would be in a way better spot with GarPax or maybe fire Gar and replace him. AK I think was given an initiative to not be like Pax and be more aggressive, then he goes and makes a terrible trade and handcuffs himself. As Doug points out, the Bulls had way more to play with (including Zach on a team friendly deal at the point) and oddly the only 2 Pax players are arguably the best players on the team.

AK deserves his lumps. He tried a different ave, which I am fine with but like dude its not working. I also think he is not handcuffed by management at all but just his poor decisions have made everything unmovable. No one was giving anything up for any of the trade prospects sans maybe AC but well... 2 late first rounders over the next 4 years is that exciting? Only if the next Jimmy Butler is one of them... We are in a sad state, and it is AKME's fault and I understand why they did it but it was still bad. Pax always maintained flexibility if nothing else. Never amounted to much but he at least always had something to play with. Jabari was not stupid IMHO... They had the capspace and it was a one year contract that could have paid off. It didn't it ended up OPJ who was always injured but he was a potential upgrade. Still why not spend that space with a guy that was well over paid but only one year guaranteed hoping he breaks out and becomes an asset. That seems smart. Didn't work out of course.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,183

Post#127 » by League Circles » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:28 pm

dougthonus wrote:
League Circles wrote:I know you have reason to think you're being objective with Wagner at #8. My point is that I trivially came up with something just as objective that had a far, far worse outcome than yours.

Except that I used a site that I trust more than you, and Mitchell wasn't in their next four guys and was taken later in reality, so actual draft intel and actual results would point to it being far less likely we would take him. Your "just as objective" pick at #8 is to take the worst guy available who actually went 12th. That is called cherry picking.

I used NBA.com and now I've posted the 9 mainstream sites they consolidated from to make theirs. Hardly cherry picking. Mitchell went 9th, not 12th. But you were the one who swore that just taking whatever consensus mocks said to take at 8 would have absolutley crushed what we have instead. You conveniently stick to Wagner who isn't even special anyways and ignore Mitchell and James Bouknight, who NBA.com consolidated consensus mock had at #7 (went 11th). Sure it's possible that your site has a "better" methodology than nba.com to identify average/consensus mock positions, but it's obviously not an exact science either way.

Yes, it was the consequence of getting lucky and already having a group of young, supporting stars coming into their own. Let's see if we had Wagner, Lauri, Coby, and then got lucky and got a star in the draft, would we have an era similar to the Rose era again? Sure seems like we would, because we'd have all the pieces ready to compete for a long time.

Hmm, I don't think most people in 2010 would have called Noah or Deng "stars" and many NBA fans would never call them that throughout their careers. I'd say they were very borderline despite, like Drummond, Vuc, Jamal Magloire, etc etc being "all stars". As for this hypothetical, it all depends on who the "star" in question is. But considering you think the team would be better than it is now when you think we're doomed, obviously odds would be even more heavily against us drafting a star with a middling pick. Lauri is simply no where near what Rose was as a piece. Higher TS%, sure. Impact on the game the same? Absolutely not. Derrick Rose would have scored 50 points a game without teams focusing their entire defenses to stop him, because he was an all time great threat to score at the basket on every play. He was also a better defender than Lauri among other things.

I would generally lump together the post Rose ACL tear into one era, it wasn't all defined by Butler, but those 5 seasons before you rebuilt only in 2 of them:
2012-13: 2nd round exit (no rose)
2013-14: 1st round exit (effectively no rose)
2014-15: 2nd round exit (With Rose as ~3rd or 4th best player)
2015-16: missed playoffs (with Rose as ~3rd or 4th best player)
2016-17: 1st round exit (no rose)

The Butler as best player era is probably the final 3 seasons of that grouping, which is still a playoff series win, and two playoff appearances, which is still a hell of a lot better than what we have going on now. We also maintained cleaner books and weren't out future assets which we still are now.

I mean, sure, we had one nice season in those three years. Which was the first one and was entirely built of old aging vets around Jimmy in Rose, Gasol, Noah, etc. But yeah, the team was better, but very very hard to argue it had a better future, as was proved in the following two years. At least now we have Caruso and maaaybe Zach and Patrick and Ayo to support him, vs having only old, peaked guys to support Butler. The results proved me correct.

Again, I'm not sure what you see in this current regime that you think is even remotely good. We are missing the playoffs regularly while making win now moves when 16/30 teams make the playoffs. Assuming we miss the playoffs this year, we are going to be out of the playoffs for three out of four years and have the worst cap situation and worst asset situation that we've had since the end of the Krause era. He loses on everything. He loses on money. He loses on success. He loses on future asset base. He has not advanced any reasonable goal that one would have for their front office. He has experienced no success and made the future worse.

When and where have I indicated that our regime is good? I've consistently said they're below average. I like aspects of their philosophy, like I did with Paxson, but disagree with many of their specific moves. I just don't buy into the fantasy that winning in the NBA is simply a matter of getting a few prospects simultaneously who are about the same age, extending them to whatever deals you have to, and then watering the garden and watching. Again, I firmly believe that MOST young players that look like they're going to be good never end up being that for the bulk of their career. That's why I'm always so hesitant to extend guys on contracts. Teams that aren't good (let's say 20/30 teams) should really never be signing guys to multiple year contracts who aren't clear long term above average starters. About 5 of those guys enter the NBA each year, and then take on average about 5 years until they achieve that for their prime. That's why draft picks outside the top 5 are laughable in expected return. The most likely outcome is that you get a guy that sucks, who you commit to for 4 years, and then overpay, who is inferior to guys you can trivially sign in free agency. Then with the cap space that those teams aren't wasting, they should be trying to absorb contracts of expiring guys and reevaluate every single summer and try to get actual good free agents. Kind of like the Jabari Parker plan but by absorbing in trade instead so that you have bird rights if they pan out.

If we don't have success this year we should probably clear some of these guys off of our books instead of pretend that we have to cling to them. Let Demar and Patrick walk or S&T them. Try to use Caruso to dump Vuc, whatever. At least then we'd have actual huge cap space to try to add to Coby and Zach in 2025. We can even have something like 20 mil in cap space this summer if we want without trading anyone, but given that it's a weak class, probably best to not stretch-waive Ball and instead position for 2025 when Coby will still be on a dream contract.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Guru
Starter
And1: 218

Post#128 » by Guru » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:31 pm

It just takes a little reframing to see the logic here. A little bit of distance from the emotion.

Imagine that you were starting next year with

A

1 White 6'5 195 23 2/-----------------------------
2 Caruso 6'5 186 29 1/Dosunmo 6'5 200 23 2
3 ---------------------/Terry 6'7 195 21 3
4 Williams 6'7 215 21 1/Phillips 6'8 198 20 3
5 Filipowski 7'0 248 20 4/----------------------

or

B

3 Saluan 6'8 203 19 4/Terry 6'7 195 21 3

With A you'd want to add
1-A veteran PG to rotate with your veterans
2-A veteran SF who can score
3-A veteran backup C
4-A veteran backup F

With B you'd want to add
2-A veteran C who can score
3-A veteran SF
4-A veteran backup F

Veteran backup PG: Carter 6'1 200 27 2
Veteran backup F: Craig 6'7 221 32 1

A:
Veteran SF who can score: DeRozan
Veteran backup C: Drummond

B:
Veteran C Who can score: Vuc
Veteran backup SF/Rotational: DeRozan or someone else

Essentially it doesn't take to much squinting to see that we are already rebuilding and the scaffolding is there for a quick bounce back.

AND we weren't dumb enough to take just anything for LaVine.

AND we didn't have to watch garbage basketball to get there. We didn't have to be the Pistons.
Guru
Starter
And1: 218

Post#129 » by Guru » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:44 pm

Guru wrote:It just takes a little reframing to see the logic here. A little bit of distance from the emotion.

Imagine that you were starting next year with

A

3 ---------------------/Terry 6'7 195 21 3
5 Filipowski 7'0 248 20 4/----------------------

or

B

3 Saluan 6'8 203 19 4/Terry 6'7 195 21 3

With A you'd want to add
2-A veteran SF who can score
3-A veteran backup C
4-A veteran backup F

With B you'd want to add
2-A veteran C who can score
3-A veteran SF
4-A veteran backup F

Veteran backup PG: Carter 6'1 200 27 2
Veteran backup F: Craig 6'7 221 32 1

A:
Veteran SF who can score: DeRozan
Veteran backup C: Drummond

B:
Veteran C Who can score: Vuc
Veteran backup SF/Rotational: DeRozan or someone else

Essentially it doesn't take to much squinting to see that we are already rebuilding and the scaffolding is there for a quick bounce back.

AND we weren't dumb enough to take just anything for LaVine.

AND we didn't have to watch garbage basketball to get there. We didn't have to be the Pistons.

It seems, and It's possible that I am ignorant on some timelines, that you can pretty easily decide if you want Drummond or DeRozan back after the draft dependant on what you add.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 16,434

Post#130 » by Mk0 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:20 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
Mk0 wrote:Bolded is why the Bucks had to fire Griffin. It was obvious that they were screwed in a playoff series with him at the helm.
The alternative being Doc Rivers isn't what I would want, but they had to rip that band-aid now and try to re-establish themselves asap.

Same reason the Clippers didn't wait until the deadline for Harden. Those extra 30ish games let them stumble out of the gate and now they are a top seed.

This is why I liked the reporter asking AK what he though he was "competing" for. You have won one playoff (game) win in 2.5 years. What do you consider a success?

I don't think AK has a real plan anymore. His idea of trading for Vooch, sign Lonzo, and then S+T for DeMar made sense when his goal was to "Make the Bulls relevant" but that team wasn't going to do much in the playoffs. Which was fine. Step one was to get out of the gutter.

The issue is that after 35 games Lonzo fell apart and he never adjusted. Just kept riding things out. The guy had no plan B and it makes me worry that even had Lonzo stayed healthy AK would have never pulled the trigger on another move to help the team level up. He was basically like, 'Welp, job is done!" after that offseason.

*I do appreciate AC falling into our laps though. Thank God Jeanie and the Bussfund babies wouldn't sign him on the cheap for fear that they couldn't get under the tax by the deadline.

AK got the Bulls out of the gutter, but barely. It hasn't lasted. People in the media blasted the Bulls for not making moves and most people realize this is a team going nowhere.

Getting out of the gutter to reach mediocrity by sacrificing our future was not worth it.

No argument there. I feel like his plan was to get Zach help, make noise in the playoffs (either a win or showing that the team was on the come up) and then court a disgruntled superstar. We just lost all of that when Lonzo went out and the guy never made another move.

Part of that is he used all his assets on bringing in Vooch/DeMar/Lonzo, but could you imagine how bleak things would be right now if Coby hadn't leveled up?

Seriously. Imagine if Coby was the same player as two years ago. Fans would be showing up with bags over their heads and wielding pitch forks.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,287

Post#131 » by Dan Z » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:27 pm

Mk0 wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
AK got the Bulls out of the gutter, but barely. It hasn't lasted. People in the media blasted the Bulls for not making moves and most people realize this is a team going nowhere.

Getting out of the gutter to reach mediocrity by sacrificing our future was not worth it.

No argument there. I feel like his plan was to get Zach help, make noise in the playoffs (either a win or showing that the team was on the come up) and then court a disgruntled superstar. We just lost all of that when Lonzo went out and the guy never made another move.

Part of that is he used all his assets on bringing in Vooch/DeMar/Lonzo, but could you imagine how bleak things would be right now if Coby hadn't leveled up?

Seriously. Imagine if Coby was the same player as two years ago. Fans would be showing up with bags over their heads and wielding pitch forks.

Courting a superstar was never a good plan (if that was even part of his plan).
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,856

Post#132 » by dougthonus » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:32 pm

When and where have I indicated that our regime is good? I've consistently said they're below average. I like aspects of their philosophy, like I did with Paxson, but disagree with many of their specific moves. I just don't buy into the fantasy that winning in the NBA is simply a matter of getting a few prospects simultaneously who are about the same age, extending them to whatever deals you have to, and then watering the garden and watching.

There are many ways to win in the NBA. The strategy we are employing presently is not one of them. No one wins by doing what we did.

The strategy I would have employed would probably not get us a championship in the same sense that any strategy you employ would probably not get us a championship, but it would keep us much better positioned to win more games, have some upside, and to pivot to something else later.

That's why AKME is the super loser. He's implemented a strategy that just sucks regardless of what perspective you look at it.

Do we have a good present? No.
Have we enjoyed a good recent past? No.
Do we have a good short term future? No.
Are we positioned for a good long term future? No.

Lose, lose, lose, and lose some more. That's our front office.

Lauri, Coby, Zach WCJ, Gafford, and 3 lottery picks and a non lottery pick is better than what you have today even if you drafted 4 busts, but odds are you'd get at least one starting caliber player, probably two, and you'd have some shot at getting a star.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,287

Post#133 » by Dan Z » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:44 pm

dougthonus wrote:
When and where have I indicated that our regime is good? I've consistently said they're below average. I like aspects of their philosophy, like I did with Paxson, but disagree with many of their specific moves. I just don't buy into the fantasy that winning in the NBA is simply a matter of getting a few prospects simultaneously who are about the same age, extending them to whatever deals you have to, and then watering the garden and watching.

There are many ways to win in the NBA. The strategy we are employing presently is not one of them. No one wins by doing what we did.

The strategy I would have employed would probably not get us a championship in the same sense that any strategy you employ would probably not get us a championship, but it would keep us much better positioned to win more games, have some upside, and to pivot to something else later.

That's why AKME is the super loser. He's implemented a strategy that just sucks regardless of what perspective you look at it.

Lauri, Coby, Zach WCJ, Gafford, and 3 lottery picks and a non lottery pick is better than what you have today even if you drafted 4 busts, but odds are you'd get at least one starting caliber player, probably two, and you'd have some shot at getting a star.

AK likes to point out winning streaks during any given season and how continuity with this roster is important. It's lead to a team that finished in 10th last year and will most likely finish with a similar record this year. His "win now" strategy hasn't been winning.
prolific passer
Analyst

Post#134 » by prolific passer » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:47 pm

dougthonus wrote:

Lauri and Gafford would be a good combo as a stretch big and a defensive big who can get rebounds and score off tip-ins and dunks

Gafford this year is shooting 69% from the field and 71% from the line. He might be able to shoot 70 and 70 this season if not be pretty close. Probably a first in NBA history.
prolific passer
Analyst

Post#135 » by prolific passer » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:52 pm

Bulls are probably in a better position if they trade Zach early in the season to the sixers after they got that package for Harden. Could have possibly gotten Tobias Harris's expiring with those clippers picks. Allow Coby to get off early as a scorer for the team and Harris can be a combo forward off the bench for the bulls for a rental year. Also a possible trade piece later in the season.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,183

Post#136 » by League Circles » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:57 pm

dougthonus wrote:

All of the "no" and "lose" binaries to is defining goal posts in exactly the precise spot to make your argument sound obvious. We've been almost as average as you can be in the AK era.

You've already clearly stated that your plan which you see as obvious wouldn't have yielded better results for the 3 previous years, so you're relying on this year and the future.

As for this year, I think it's a hard case to make that Lauri and Coby would be the same players they currently are here in this fictional scenario you describe. Again, roles can make or break a player. Hell, look at Vuc.

You use "lottery picks" in a way that implies that a #14 pick is more appropriately categorized with a #1 pick than a #15 pick. If there is a dividing line to be made in categorizing draft picks, it's at #5, not #14. Because there are never more than about 5 players in a draft that actually end up as actual long term winning building blocks, and they're obviously always projected to go in order.

The "3 lottery picks" obviously wouldn't have had much of an opportunity to play and shine here, what with the "mid 3" of Lauri, Zach and Carter or whoever being the Demar, Vuc and Zach to the (actual much higher) draft picks of Coby, Patrick and Drummond. Lauri and Coby and Zach and Demar and Drummond and Vuc and practically every other "good" NBA player only blossoms into that typically when conditions are ideal. For a lot of guys (Carter, Mitchell, Patrick, Gafford etc etc etc) those ideal conditions never happen or happen too late for it to matter. Of course we might be better off under your alternate scenario. But you said "absolutely crush". To absolutely crush what we have, that team would have to be REALLY good, which is hard to justify based on two years of Lauri putting up great numbers for a very meh team.

We're a mediocre team with mediocre recent past and mediocre future projections. Sure we could be a different mediocre group (one that would effectively be more locked into long term than we are now) but there is nothing remotely close to a sure path to desirable success that we've squandered. Especially outside Lauri, who himself is probably going to be a LOT more like Kevin Love than Kevin Durant.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#137 » by donaldtrump_00 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:35 pm

I'm not mad at all with arturas. Some teams go through the middle of the pack stage. We just went through a rebuild recently. It sucked. Who did they hit a homerun on. It happens. I wouldn't give up on my team either. Yall just going to get mad.but I would let one of zach or demar go. No need to have 3 offense only star players. I'm ok with lonzo ball being back with the group. There misusing Patrick Williams. He should be in the post alot more. Ayo is growing. I like the progress he's made. I'm wondering about dalen terry. Will his hustle and tenacity turn the corner for him by adding at least one legit offensive skill to his game. But instead of the bulls adding to the roster by position they should overload at sf/pf. That's the only one they need more of a all around player at. AK is hoping for someone to break out. Basically that jordan poole type player when gs won and looks like coby has that talent. Now need pat will to be our Wiggins. Lonzo would put them in contender mode. I'm one of the people giving him the full benefit of doubt that he will make a full recovery and be the same player. I'll give AK a high grade if he keeps drummond and Caruso this summer.
nekorajo
Bench Warmer
And1: 580

Post#138 » by nekorajo » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:18 pm

PJSteven22 wrote:
nekorajo wrote:

Why point at AK's mistakes to validate Pax's? They both screwed some things up. But let's go there.

Lauri wasn't very good and wasn't going to sign an extension, because he wanted more money than he had earned at the time. AK was between a rock and a hard place. He chose to rid himself of a petulant attitude, and I don't blame him. Even Greg Popovich didn't want to deal with Lauri's temperament. I guess he sucks at evaluating players too.

Vuc and Aminu for 2 picks was a terrible idea. They should have given us a pick for taking Aminu. I disliked that trade, but hoped I was underestimating Vuc considering I had no idea who he was at the time. I did know that Aminu didn't belong in the NBA. Just like Tyrus Thomas.

Pax and AK both screwed up, but at least Vuc belongs in the league. Trading away Aldridge because Pax didn't like his demeanor was a much greater mistake.

Also, giving Pax credit for getting D Rose as a result of screwing up the Aldridge trade is totally illogical. That was dumb luck. And this is coming from a Pax guy.
chefo
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,393

Post#139 » by chefo » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:31 pm

Ultimately, they decided on a vision, realized Zach was the only incumbent who kinda' fit (but not really), so they shipped everybody off who they thought didn't fit, regardless of talent or usefulness. I'm not shedding any tears about WCJ, but WCJ and two firsts + taking on a bad contract probably gets you something much more impactful than a late-prime Vuc. Hell, it probably gets you Gobert and I'd much rather have him than Vuc.

Gafford, on the other hand, was under contract for 2.5 more years at $1M per. He was already about the perfect 15-20 min backup C as a 20-something old kid. Trading him away was stupid no matter how you look at it. He just netted a first and will be playing on a playoff team come the postseason.

To those posters who remember my 3-page long missives on Lauri, I think history has been very kind on my take and ideas. The fact the FO tested him, saw him kick posterior on 40-effin touches per game (half of Vuc's) and thought--darn, I'll ship him out because he doesn't fit the desired narrative (play D and hustle next to the C hub), should be a career-killer. It's that simple. The signs were there his last season as a Bull. I don't care that many fans here didn't see it. AKME are paid millions to see it, and they struck out on a pitch in the dirt. To lose an all-NBA-level player that was willing to play for like $18M per season, and not even try to see what he looks like with an actual PG and/or increased usage is beyond idiotic.

The fact that they somehow missed that over the window they were planning on competing, Vuc would be in his 30s, where most NBA bigs start slowing down a lot, or completely breaking down, is another absolute oversight. The fact that they again, saw his decline first-hand, and decided to re-up him until his MID-30s, is double idiotic. A non-D playing, low 50s TS% C sounds like somebody who should be in China or chilling back in Europe, not making $60M over his next contract playing for the Bulls. Vuc currently has a -81 "TS add", over only 48 games, which is effin' horrendous for any player, but is purgatory-level hellacious for a C.

Because I don't want to use hindsight, but rather what I've written here before said events:
--I heavily advocated keeping Lauri and increasing his usage, but more importantly, changing how he was used.

--As soon as I saw how they're planning to use Vuc, just several games in, I wrote that the trade will end in tears. Quickly.

--I was against signing Lonzo for $80M because of his health risks. He wasn't enough of a game-changer and this is the Uncle Jerry Bulls we're talking about here. If he went down, the insurance $ was going to go to the bottom line, not in the on-the-court product. Wrote about it here before they did it. Not a good move from a risk management perspective

--I was a fan of Gafford, because as limited as he is, he's still very, very productive within his limitations.

--Wrote a lot that they need a PG real bad. There are a ton of reasons why. Won't go into them. Quality vets were available in trade. Haliburton was on the board when they picked. You guys realize Zach has never really played with a quality PG as a Bull? Who did Lauri play with? Dun? Grant? Payne? Denzel? Sato? Rookie Coby? Arci? Lonzo is not a traditional PG who can move guys around in the half-court either. They decided they don't need one because... of the SYSTEM. Yeah, but that system only works with an MVP-level caliber C like Jokic running it.

Yeah, I've played organized hoops, but if a random Bulls fan like me is better at evaluating the talent on your team, as well as your strengths and weaknesses, you should really look for another occupation. AKME seem so intent on delivering on their vision, and did it so clumsily by chasing older "stars", that if that level of suckage in terms of decision-making has not shown them the error of their ways already, I don't know what will.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#140 » by WindyCityBorn » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:38 am

donaldtrump_00 wrote:I'm not mad at all with arturas. Some teams go through the middle of the pack stage. We just went through a rebuild recently. It sucked. Who did they hit a homerun on. It happens. I wouldn't give up on my team either. Yall just going to get mad.but I would let one of zach or demar go. No need to have 3 offense only star players. I'm ok with lonzo ball being back with the group. There misusing Patrick Williams. He should be in the post alot more. Ayo is growing. I like the progress he's made. I'm wondering about dalen terry. Will his hustle and tenacity turn the corner for him by adding at least one legit offensive skill to his game. But instead of the bulls adding to the roster by position they should overload at sf/pf. That's the only one they need more of an all around player at. AK is hoping for someone to break out. Basically that jordan poole type player when gs won and looks like coby has that talent. Now need pat will to be our Wiggins. Lonzo would put them in contender mode. I'm one of the people giving him the full benefit of doubt that he will make a full recovery and be the same player. I'll give AK a high grade if he keeps drummond and Caruso this summer.

Letting Zach go and giving 35 year old DeMar a big new deal is peak Bulls stupidity.

Return to Chicago Bulls