Image ImageImage Image

Bulls Converting Bitim to a Standard NBA Deal

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,331

Re: Bulls Converting Bitim to a Standard NBA Deal 

Post#21 » by kodo » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:05 pm

meekrab wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:This feels like not just a vote of confidence in Bitim but a mini white flag by AK. There’s no way we’d have used the roster spot on a prospect if we weren’t locked into the 9th or 10th seed.

RIP to the “bunched up” standings.

The trade deadline was two weeks ago, the time for white flags was then :banghead:

It was confirmed they were hoping Gallo would sign, so we did reach out to vets after the deadline.
I think the white flag is that no buyout vet is interested in playing here, one that we want at least.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#22 » by GoBlue72391 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:06 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
Yes, and this could be an attempt to seal up a roster spot next year at a number less than a vet minimum guy, given the Bulls are going to be flirting with the tax if they continue their #continuity plan.

Where did you see that it's guaranteed beyond this season? Are you just assuming or did you actually read something?

A player can't make less than the minimum, hence it being the minimum, so I'm not sure about your theory.

Read the thread. :D The initial Shams tweet said it's a multi-year deal. You can't have multiple option years on an NBA contract, so minimally this thing is guaranteed for next season.

And I didn't say they would be paying him less than the minimum, I said they'd be paying him less than the veteran minimum, just meaning that because he has 0 years of NBA service, his contract will (presumably) be for the absolute cheapest salary permitted by the CBA of about a million bucks a year.

That's not how it works. There was nothing mentioned about any option years, only that it's a multi-year deal, and the number of years hasn't even been stated. A multi-year deal does not have to be guaranteed. It can be guaranteed, but it can also be fully unguaranteed or even partially guaranteed.

My guess is that it's guaranteed for the remainder of this season and fully unguaranteed for next season unless not waived by a certain date, at which point it would become guaranteed. But that's just my pure speculation.

So again I ask: have you actually read something other than Sham's tweet or are you just assuming/making stuff up?
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#23 » by GoBlue72391 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:08 pm

Shams is conflating Bitim's stats. The G League breaks down its stats into 3 categories: Showcase, Regular Season, and Full Season.

His Full Season stats (which is Showcase+Regular Season) are as follows:

14.1 PPG
3.6 RPG
3.4 APG
.414/.363/.909
30 MPG
22 games played

Also 0.6 SPG, 0.5 BPG, and 2.0 TOPG

So a bit misleading to say he shoots 43.3% from three in the G League when he actually shoots 36%.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#24 » by GoBlue72391 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:15 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
Yes, and this could be an attempt to seal up a roster spot next year at a number less than a vet minimum guy, given the Bulls are going to be flirting with the tax if they continue their #continuity plan.

Where did you see that it's guaranteed beyond this season? Are you just assuming or did you actually read something?

A player can't make less than the minimum, hence it being the minimum, so I'm not sure about your theory.

And I didn't say they would be paying him less than the minimum, I said they'd be paying him less than the veteran minimum, just meaning that because he has 0 years of NBA service, his contract will (presumably) be for the absolute cheapest salary permitted by the CBA of about a million bucks a year.

I'm pretty sure veteran minimum contracts are half paid by the league and half by the team, so I doubt we signed Bitim to get out of singing a veteran free agent in the offseason.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#25 » by League Circles » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:15 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

Read the thread. :D The initial Shams tweet said it's a multi-year deal. You can't have multiple option years on an NBA contract, so minimally this thing is guaranteed for next season.

Yes, and this also gives us (likely) non guaranteed money for next year to possibly help in a trade. We started doing this roughly 10 years ago where we'd sign guys late in the season to guaranteed money for the rest of that season but non guaranteed money for the following year as a possible trade chip. Never used them that way that I know of, but we did it. Historically the Bulls have actually been an NBA leader in salary cap creativity.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,526

Post#26 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:21 pm

kodo wrote:
meekrab wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:This feels like not just a vote of confidence in Bitim but a mini white flag by AK. There’s no way we’d have used the roster spot on a prospect if we weren’t locked into the 9th or 10th seed.

RIP to the “bunched up” standings.

The trade deadline was two weeks ago, the time for white flags was then :banghead:

It was confirmed they were hoping Gallo would sign, so we did reach out to vets after the deadline.
I think the white flag is that no buyout vet is interested in playing here, one that we want at least.

I think that’s definitely part of the equation. But it’s a safe bet that a more reliable contributor than Bitim would’ve been available in the buyout market. At minimum they could've gotten five Javontes. I just don’t see them making this move if the 8th seed is within reach. Not with a gaping hole at PF until we get healthy.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,526

Post#27 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:22 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:Shams is conflating Bitim's stats. The G League breaks down its stats into 3 categories: Showcase, Regular Season, and Full Season.

His Full Season stats (which is Showcase+Regular Season) are as follows:

14.1 PPG
3.6 RPG
3.4 APG
.414/.363/.909
30 MPG
22 games played

Also 0.6 SPG, 0.5 BPG, and 2.0 TOPG

So a bit misleading to say he shoots 43.3% from three in the G League when he actually shoots 36%.

Geez. That’s depressing.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,938

Post#28 » by ChettheJet » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:31 pm

It sounds like something noteworthy. If he is ever allowed in a game. White, DeRozan are at the top of the league in minutes played and Vucevic is playing more than he ever has, there are guys on the bench who could get 5 minutes per half and give those 3 a break. If they get put in.

They just mentioned that they'd like to see Henry Drell, well he's under contract, could play if they would put him in.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,365

Post#29 » by DASMACKDOWN » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:31 pm

League Circles wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:Where did you see that it's guaranteed beyond this season? Are you just assuming or did you actually read something?

Yes, and this also gives us (likely) non guaranteed money for next year to possibly help in a trade. We started doing this roughly 10 years ago where we'd sign guys late in the season to guaranteed money for the rest of that season but non guaranteed money for the following year as a possible trade chip. Never used them that way that I know of, but we did it. Historically the Bulls have actually been an NBA leader in salary cap creativity.

The Carik Jones rule :D
The Cult of Personality
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,465

Post#30 » by jnrjr79 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:34 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:Where did you see that it's guaranteed beyond this season? Are you just assuming or did you actually read something?

That's not how it works. There was nothing mentioned about any option years, only that it's a multi-year deal, and the number of years hasn't even been stated. A multi-year deal does not have to be guaranteed. It can be guaranteed, but it can also be fully unguaranteed or even partially guaranteed.

My guess is that it's guaranteed for the remainder of this season and fully unguaranteed for next season unless not waived by a certain date, at which point it would become guaranteed. But that's just my pure speculation.

So again I ask: have you actually read something other than Sham's tweet or are you just assuming/making stuff up?

Fair point on the distinction between guarantees and options. It may not be guaranteed, but the broader point I was making stands - this is a way to lock up a roster spot for next season for the cheapest potential number.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,232

Post#31 » by Red8911 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:39 pm

What an odd move. They don’t play him at all but then decide to give him a regular contract to take up the last roster spot ?

So now what’s next they just sign another 2 way player and that’s it ? Or can they make another move like waive Taylor in order to sign a buy out player ?
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,708

Post#32 » by BullChit » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:56 pm

FriedRise wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
FriedRise wrote:They could've let him play the rest of the season on his 2-way contract AND sign a buyout guy.

I don't get this move at all.

Yeah, it's curious, but at the end of the day I'm happy to see the minutes go to a developmental guy rather than a veteran band-aid, so in that sense I guess it's good.

Yeah that's probably the main reason. They might've had a guy or two they liked from the buyout market (like Gallo), but couldn't get a deal done. Nobody else is really worth taking a flyer on, and they may have already made up their mind that they wanna keep Bitim beyond this season.

I mean, I'm not mad at more developmental minutes to see what we have. It's what I've been asking for because you never know if you're gonna get another Coby or Ayo if we never play them. I've always been intrigued by Bitim so hopefully we'll get to see more of him.

Bitim is 6'6, so I'm sure he'll play PF here lol. He's a 43% shooter with the WCB at 7.5 attempts in just 32 minutes. A very efficient player at 61% TS and can pass a little too (2.5 A/TO ratio, 18% AST%). A former dunk contest winner who averages 4 rebounds, 4 assists, shoots a lot of 3s at a high clip, and not much of a defender. Kinda reminds you of someone lmao.

Onurlap Bitim!
Zach Lavine!

The stadium announcer could even use the same cadence after he hits a 3...
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#33 » by FriedRise » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:29 pm

BullChit wrote:
FriedRise wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
Yeah, it's curious, but at the end of the day I'm happy to see the minutes go to a developmental guy rather than a veteran band-aid, so in that sense I guess it's good.

Yeah that's probably the main reason. They might've had a guy or two they liked from the buyout market (like Gallo), but couldn't get a deal done. Nobody else is really worth taking a flyer on, and they may have already made up their mind that they wanna keep Bitim beyond this season.

I mean, I'm not mad at more developmental minutes to see what we have. It's what I've been asking for because you never know if you're gonna get another Coby or Ayo if we never play them. I've always been intrigued by Bitim so hopefully we'll get to see more of him.

Bitim is 6'6, so I'm sure he'll play PF here lol. He's a 43% shooter with the WCB at 7.5 attempts in just 32 minutes. A very efficient player at 61% TS and can pass a little too (2.5 A/TO ratio, 18% AST%). A former dunk contest winner who averages 4 rebounds, 4 assists, shoots a lot of 3s at a high clip, and not much of a defender. Kinda reminds you of someone lmao.

Onurlap Bitim!
Zach Lavine!

You know what that's called?

Continuity!
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,446

Post#34 » by Muzbar » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:00 pm

Ah yes, the team is without a PF currently, so they sign a 6'5" SG/SF.

Makes perfect sense.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,708

Post#35 » by BullChit » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:02 pm

FriedRise wrote:
BullChit wrote:
FriedRise wrote:

Onurlap Bitim!
Zach Lavine!

You know what that's called?

Continuity!

Hahaha YES!

I had my finger over the submit button to complete my joke but I had a feeling you or Muzbar would finish it for me.
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,236

Post#36 » by HomoSapien » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:53 pm

I think Bitim has the most potential of our end of the bench young guys, so I'm happy he's getting a chance to prove himself. That said, it's underwhelming given our desire to make the playoffs.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,682

Post#37 » by sco » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:58 pm

HomoSapien wrote:I think Bitim has the most potential of our end of the bench young guys, so I'm happy he's getting a chance to prove himself. That said, it's underwhelming given our desire to make the playoffs.

You're right. IMO, the FO has quiet quit on the season after the Craig and Williams injuries. My bet is that we see more developmental minutes for the rest of the season, with the goal of keeping guys like AC and Demar healthy.
:clap:
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,236

Post#38 » by HomoSapien » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:59 pm

ChettheJet wrote:They just mentioned that they'd like to see Henry Drell, well he's under contract, could play if they would put him in.

Who is they?
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
kristov
Junior
And1: 80

Post#39 » by kristov » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:07 pm

Arcidiacono has been assigned to the windy city bulls so maybe he is taking up the other two-way
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#40 » by Dan Z » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:09 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

It's odd that he got a multi-year deal, but your post makes sense.

Do we even know if he's an NBA level player?

Return to Chicago Bulls