Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024 3.0

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Re: Bears 2024 3.0 

Post#1901 » by patryk7754 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:07 pm

Dresden wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Atlanta signing Mooney is great for the Bears, probably takes them off the board for a WR at 8.

I was thinking that too.

Idk about that. Mooney is probably best as a WR3. London, Odunze, Mooney, Pitts, Robinson, Cousin, and an elite OL could be the best offense (assuming Cousins fully comes back from his injury)
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,522

Post#1902 » by panthermark » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:11 pm

I forgot Ryan Pace is in the Atlanta FO ...Pace drafted Mooney. Ok, makes a bit more sense. I still like Mooney regardless.

----------------------------
Darnell Mooney, WR
Mooney agreed to a three-year, $39 million deal with $26 million guaranteed, Mooney's agents David Mulugheta and AJ Stevens told ESPN Insider Adam Schefter.

What it means: Atlanta needed a starting-caliber receiver to line up opposite Drake London, and in Mooney it got a talented player with a 1,000-yard season in his past (81 catches, 1,055 yards in 2021). He has versatility, too, with 757 routes run from the slot and 928 run from outside, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Figure Atlanta isn't done adding to the receiver room, but there's familiarity here, too. Former Bears GM Ryan Pace, who drafted Mooney in 2020, is a front office executive in Atlanta.

What's the risk: Expecting Mooney to be a star. This shouldn't be too much of an issue considering Atlanta has London, tight end Kyle Pitts and running back Bijan Robinson, but Mooney hasn't had a season over 500 yards receiving since 2021. Atlanta is paying him like a No. 2 receiver, so there is some pressure for him to produce more than he did in 2022 (40 catches, 493 yards) or last season (31 catches, 414 yards). Drops shouldn't be a concern, either. He has had only one year with more than one credited dropped pass, according to ESPN Stats and Information.
----
Not so sure about that last line.
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#1903 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Bears twitter is good for a laugh now and then.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,954

Post#1904 » by Dresden » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:14 pm

The Bears definitely need 2 more WR's now. It seems like this sort of limits their flexibility. OTH, if they had had to pay Mooney 13 mil a year that would have put a dent in their cap situation. I thought the Bears might be able to keep him at a bargain price given his lack of production, but apparently the WR market is just very thin, so he got paid more than the Bears wanted to pay him.

To me, this makes it even more likely we'll trade back if one of the WR's is not there at 9.

I wonder how the Bears view Tyler Scott- if they envision as a possible WR3? If we went into the season with DJ, Odunze, and Scott, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
El Ridda
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#1905 » by El Ridda » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:15 pm

Good for Mooney. Someone posted the article last week about him turning down a three year deal from the Bears before last season. I made a 'when keeping it real goes wrong' crack. Seems that Mooney and his agent were right after all! I'm happy to eat crow and hope he does well in ATL.
Cup of Cognac, Hidden Dime Sack.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#1906 » by patryk7754 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:17 pm

The bears are not nearly as active as I thought they'd be
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,958

Post#1907 » by chitownsports4ever » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:17 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
chitownsports4ever wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
I don't know what to tell you. I think your take here is pretty crazy and runs counter to all recent reporting on what's happening. You don't seem to have any backup for your opinion and are just making an unsupported assertion that if they wanted to trade Fields, they would have already done it, based on just your feelings or whatever.

So if I understand correctly, you believe the Bears want to keep Justin, but refuse to say that they're going to keep him?

My opinion backed by Poles comments is at the combine as well as he end of the season presser but what is your opinion backed by recent reports but not one actual quote from anyone within the Bears organization but take is crazy

I dont know what the Bears want to do all I can say that if I go by what they SAY and WHAT THEY DO it sure as heck hasnt been established at this point to be moving on from Fields.

Poles said at his presser that he would have to be wowed by a player to move on from Fields

Poles said at the combine that IF he were to decide to draft a QB #1 and Fields would be traded that he would move him quickly so precisely this time uncertainty would be avoided . But you follow some reporters and they are never wrong so at this point I should simply ignore all of that.

I mean, yes, if on the one hand you have all of the well-connected news-breaker types saying one thing and an NFL GM (whose interest is in improving the team, not being candid) saying another, you should believe the news-breakers and not the GM.

Adam Schefter is reporting today that the Bears have been unable to move Fields because no NFL team with a starting QB slot available wants him and that all interested teams view him only as a backup. This seems more likely to be the reason Fields hasn't been traded.

Thats not what the question is ...

Who cares if they view him as backup or not its not our problem if we are moving on unless you are now saying hat Poles plan is to hold onto Fields until other teams change their minds ? You even know that doesnt make any sense .

We didnt care if Miami wanted to start Claypool or not we are moving on give us something for him and take him we are out so if we have identified Williams ,Daniels ,or Maye as for sure what we will come out of the draft with we would not care what opposing wanted to do with him

Schefter did not say no one would trade for Fields he said that what other teams view him as but it100% has no impact on our desire and willingness to move on from him and if you are not trading him you really dont care what other teams view him as. Its the NFL there are of lots of players who start for Team A while team B would say they dont view him as a starter.
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
panthermark
RealGM

Post#1908 » by panthermark » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:18 pm

Dresden wrote:The Bears definitely need 2 more WR's now. It seems like this sort of limits their flexibility. OTH, if they had had to pay Mooney 13 mil a year that would have put a dent in their cap situation. I thought the Bears might be able to keep him at a bargain price given his lack of production, but apparently the WR market is just very thin, so he got paid more than the Bears wanted to pay him.

To me, this makes it even more likely we'll trade back if one of the WR's is not there at 9.

I wonder how the Bears view Tyler Scott- if they envision as a possible WR3? If we went into the season with DJ, Odunze, and Scott, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Well....he might be available.....

LOL!!
J/k
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,545

Post#1909 » by fleet » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:18 pm

El Ridda wrote:Good for Mooney. Someone posted the article last week about him turning down a three year deal from the Bears before last season. I made a 'when keeping it real goes wrong' crack. Seems that Mooney and his agent were right after all! I'm happy to eat crow and hope he does well in ATL.

It was apparently just like Getsy. Other teams understood what went on in Chicago and acted accordingly.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 417

Post#1910 » by Bulls69 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:19 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
HoopsterJones wrote:
Cousins should be able to throw the ball to Mooney better than Fields has the past 2 seasons. Hope all the best for him.

Was that really necessary?

Justin's limited ability to process was a big reason why Mooney was mostly ignored all year. You disagree?

Horse Hockey Mooney dropped plenty of passes 12 mill a year for a number 3 Wr Atlanta you can have him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Knicksgod wrote: I know LeBron won't go to Chicago. There could be another surprise team, but if he leaves Cleveland, then teaming with Bosh and Gallo in NYC is a likely scenario.
Bulls69
Head Coach

Post#1911 » by Bulls69 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:22 pm

patryk7754 wrote:Looks like Fields will be on the bears regardless of whats done with the 1st pick.

I have been saying this since they brought back Flus. I really don’t think Fields was ever made available they would have traded him before the start of free agency.

Knicksgod wrote: I know LeBron won't go to Chicago. There could be another surprise team, but if he leaves Cleveland, then teaming with Bosh and Gallo in NYC is a likely scenario.
Bulls69
Head Coach

Post#1912 » by Bulls69 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:25 pm

fleet wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:.

So if I understand correctly, you believe the Bears want to keep Justin, but refuse to say that they're going to keep him?

That’s what it boils down to. If Fields was Poles’ quarterback, he would say so, and save Justin all this drama. There’s no strategic payoff that is believable. Last season being exhibit A.

I disagree Poles was doing his due diligence in which he said before the start of free agency.

Bulls69
Head Coach

Post#1913 » by Bulls69 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:29 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
I don't know what to tell you. I think your take here is pretty crazy and runs counter to all recent reporting on what's happening. You don't seem to have any backup for your opinion and are just making an unsupported assertion that if they wanted to trade Fields, they would have already done it, based on just your feelings or whatever.

My opinion backed by Poles comments is at the combine as well as he end of the season presser but what is your opinion backed by recent reports but not one actual quote from anyone within the Bears organization but take is crazy

I dont know what the Bears want to do all I can say that if I go by what they SAY and WHAT THEY DO it sure as heck hasnt been established at this point to be moving on from Fields.

Poles said at his presser that he would have to be wowed by a player to move on from Fields

Poles said at the combine that IF he were to decide to draft a QB #1 and Fields would be traded that he would move him quickly so precisely this time uncertainty would be avoided . But you follow some reporters and they are never wrong so at this point I should simply ignore all of that.

I mean, yes, if on the one hand you have all of the well-connected news-breaker types saying one thing and an NFL GM (whose interest is in improving the team, not being candid) saying another, you should believe the news-breakers and not the GM.

Adam Schefter is reporting today that the Bears have been unable to move Fields because no NFL team with a starting QB slot available wants him and that all interested teams view him only as a backup. This seems more likely to be the reason Fields hasn't been traded.

Please show me where Adam said that.

patryk7754
General Manager

Post#1914 » by patryk7754 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:35 pm

Bulls69 wrote:
fleet wrote:

That’s what it boils down to. If Fields was Poles’ quarterback, he would say so, and save Justin all this drama. There’s no strategic payoff that is believable. Last season being exhibit A.

I disagree Poles was doing his due diligence in which he said before the start of free agency.

A lot of people took Poles saying "IF" as Fields is definitely gone. Like you said, Poles has been consistent in one thing, he'll do his due diligence before making a decision. Logically, you cant fully cover all your bases until you meet with Williams at his pro day
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,958

Post#1915 » by chitownsports4ever » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:37 pm

fleet wrote:

It would be if you ignored everything the man says

from the end of the season presser

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/poles-staying-open-minded-about-no-1-pick-in-draft-2024-quarterback-justin-fields

"I've got to stay open-minded about it," Poles said. "Not to use the same quote, but when I say, 'I need to be blown away,' it's the same setup because seeing the things that Justin did this year, his ability to make plays … keeping his eyes down the field, taking less sacks, you see a lot of growth there where he can continue to get better. So I'll have the same mindset."

Poles revealed that the Bears are in "information gathering mode right now."

"We are going to turn every stone to make sure that we are going to make a sound decision for our organization," Poles said. "I did think Justin got better. I think he can lead this team. But at the same time, there is a unique situation. I have to look and our staff has to look at everything, and that's exactly what we're going to do."

Poles was asked if he'll allow the unwavering belief that Bears teammates have in Fields influence the GM's decision concerning the quarterback position.

"I have to separate it a little bit, but I absolutely love it," Poles said. "I mean, when you talk about building a team, I want that type of support in the locker room. I want those guys, when they go take the field, I want them to believe in the player that they have at that quarterback position. I want them to believe in the person to the right and to the left, so I absolutely love that. With any decision, I've got to take the emotion out of it and look at the whole deal there."

Poles understands that his evaluation of quarterbacks in the draft must extend beyond how they perform on the field.

"The person; that's the biggest part," he said. "I've got a lot of confidence in our ability to see talent on the field. The human being we've got to figure out, especially to be a quarterback in this city. You've got to have it right. You've got to have toughness to you. You've got to have mental toughness. You've got to be able to block things out."

Asked if the No. 1 pick is for sale, Poles said: "Again, I'm wide open to anything. If somebody wants to call me with an idea, that's fine. I'm open to it."

While Poles was motivated to deal the No. 1 selection in March last year, he plans to hold onto the 2024 top choice a little bit longer, telling reporters: "In my mind right now, I'm going to take this all the way to April."
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#1916 » by patryk7754 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:42 pm

fleet wrote:

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/poles-staying-open-minded-about-no-1-pick-in-draft-2024-quarterback-justin-fields

"I've got to stay open-minded about it," Poles said. "Not to use the same quote, but when I say, 'I need to be blown away,' it's the same setup because seeing the things that Justin did this year, his ability to make plays … keeping his eyes down the field, taking less sacks, you see a lot of growth there where he can continue to get better. So I'll have the same mindset."

"We are going to turn every stone to make sure that we are going to make a sound decision for our organization," Poles said. "I did think Justin got better. I think he can lead this team. But at the same time, there is a unique situation. I have to look and our staff has to look at everything, and that's exactly what we're going to do."

Poles was asked if he'll allow the unwavering belief that Bears teammates have in Fields influence the GM's decision concerning the quarterback position.

"I have to separate it a little bit, but I absolutely love it," Poles said. "I mean, when you talk about building a team, I want that type of support in the locker room. I want those guys, when they go take the field, I want them to believe in the player that they have at that quarterback position. I want them to believe in the person to the right and to the left, so I absolutely love that. With any decision, I've got to take the emotion out of it and look at the whole deal there."

Poles understands that his evaluation of quarterbacks in the draft must extend beyond how they perform on the field.

"The person; that's the biggest part," he said. "I've got a lot of confidence in our ability to see talent on the field. The human being we've got to figure out, especially to be a quarterback in this city. You've got to have it right. You've got to have toughness to you. You've got to have mental toughness. You've got to be able to block things out."

Asked if the No. 1 pick is for sale, Poles said: "Again, I'm wide open to anything. If somebody wants to call me with an idea, that's fine. I'm open to it."

While Poles was motivated to deal the No. 1 selection in March last year, he plans to hold onto the 2024 top choice a little bit longer, telling reporters: "In my mind right now, I'm going to take this all the way to April."

I think it's a pointless conversation. People will let their bias (regardless of what position they hold) influence what or how they read things. People are questioning why Fields hasn't been trade, then are report comes that Poles hasn't been really shopping him and all of sudden they are just saving face. Or you can look at like I do and see it as evidence that the Bears aren't leaning towards trading him.

Some people want him gone and everything they will read will confirm he's gone and vice versa
panthermark
RealGM

Post#1917 » by panthermark » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:44 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
CROBulls wrote:Bears need now two WR's signings. Draft or FA doesnt matter. Team is shallow already on offensive weapons. If Caleb is here tommorow he has less options to throw than Fields had.

If this team continues doing nothing, what’s stopping Caleb from just saying “nah I’m good, don’t draft me”. Maybe he wanted to wait until the 20th to see how their free agency went.

When Caleb was asked what questions he had for the Bears when they meet, his response was “Do you want to win”. I don’t think he was complimenting himself as adding him would equal winning, I think he was actually wondering if the franchise is committed to winning.

I would hope not.
If so, dude can F off.
But I'm pretty sure he was referencing himself in terms of his leadership style.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,528

Post#1918 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:45 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Howe is with The Athletic. I know nothing of his track record.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#1919 » by patryk7754 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:46 pm

I think if you were to read too much into a quote its from when Poles said he'd be willing to shut it down for the right prospect. I think that applies to a prospect and fields and it feels pretty clear, that Poles isn't there yet. We probably have to wait until a couple days after the 20th.

One thing is for sure, he has not shut it all down.
panthermark
RealGM

Post#1920 » by panthermark » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:47 pm

fleet wrote:

Damn, the last line says it all.
"In my mind right now, I'm going to take this all the way to April".

Sounds like we should all probably just chill instead of trying to read the tea leaves and injecting bias.

Whatever happens happens.

Return to Chicago Bulls