Image ImageImage Image

State of the Chicago P&R

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,331

State of the Chicago P&R 

Post#1 » by kodo » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:26 pm

With 70% of the regular season done, it's as good a time as any to look at Chicago's strengths & weaknesses, in particular our P&R.

Style of Play
We are a heavy P&R team, ranking at the top of the league in shooting off the P&R and #1 in feeding the roll man off the P&R and hitting stationary Spot Up shooters off the P&R action.
P&R Roll Man Possessions: #1
P&R Ballhandler Possessions: #6
Spot Up Possessions: #2

What we do not do is any kind of off-ball movement, Off Screens, Cuts, or Hand-Offs.
Off Screen Possessions: #30
Cut Possessions: #29
Hand-Off Possessions: #29

(Contrary to popular opinion, we're average in Isolation. We probably over-index the last few minutes of close games.)

P&R Roll Man Effectiveness
The vast majority of our P&R Roll Man scoring comes from Vucevic. He is an extreme outlier in the league in how many possessions he gets on this type of play. Most of the league's centers are getting 100-170 possessions, Vuc got 355.

Unfortunately for us, Vucevic is the worst scorer of all the centers in the list above at efficiency in scoring. Vuc does shoot 3s, but even with 3s factored in with eFG%, his eFG% is the worst from the list of centers above.

P&R Roll Ballhandler Effectiveness
There are too many ballhandler scorers off the P&R to chart, but the Bulls do have two of the most frequent shooters off the P&R in Derozan #13 and White #19. I also threw Ayo's eFG% for comparison, but he doesn't have enough volume to be compared to the other players on this list.

Initially it looks like Derozan isn't that great, but Derozan is an extreme outlier in terms of drawing shooting fouls, he has a higher rate than anyone on this list and more than double the rate of some of the other players. When the points from drawn shooting fouls is thrown in, he's better than most on the list.

Overall, whether Derozan stays or goes in the summer the Bulls have very promising young ballhandlers.
However the other end of the P&R is quite literally the worst in the league and at his age Vuc is only likely to get worse, unlike Coby & Ayo who will likely get better.

What compounds the problem is that we've chosen to utilize our league worst roll man at an insane rate. We're in a situation where we take what we are the worst at, and do it more than any other team in the league. It's unfortunate because we've had some huge improvements from Coby, Ayo, and Caruso so one would expect a much better offense this year. But it all nets out to this team scoring less than last year's team (111 ppg vs 113 ppg) with almost the same offensive rating.

The logical moves for next season would be to keep our ballhandling core, and completely overhaul our big man situation.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,938

Re: State of the Chicago P&R 

Post#2 » by ChettheJet » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:08 pm

I'm not going to say I know what any of that is.

The Bulls have been playing 4 guards, including Demar. To me Vuc and Drummond are the only two who if they set a pick then roll can do much of anything because anybody else is going to run into somebody bigger, a 4 or5, some 3's, to contest their shot in the lane. The Bulls do a lot more drive and kick with their small lineups.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#3 » by FriedRise » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:28 pm

My son is in basketball, and being the tallest kid in every team he's been a part of, he always plays center by default. He never gets the ball because 2nd graders don't want / know how to pass, but that's another story.

Anyway, I was doing a mini film session with him the other night and was using a Bulls game to show him how the big man plays. I had to pause the game several times in a possession to point out every time Vooch sets a screen lol. Vooch is so involved in the offense that he sometimes sets 3-4 screens a trip.

It's great learning material, but there were times where I had to tell him to stop looking at Vooch and focus on Drummond instead lol - mainly for screen setting, rebounding, contesting shots, fighting for the ball, and finishing at the rim.

"See how he keeps missing that long shot? That's why we take a couple dribbles and get closer to the hoop."
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,958

Post#4 » by chitownsports4ever » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:35 pm

ChettheJet wrote:I'm not going to say I know what any of that is.

The Bulls have been playing 4 guards, including Demar. To me Vuc and Drummond are the only two who if they set a pick then roll can do much of anything because anybody else is going to run into somebody bigger, a 4 or5, some 3's, to contest their shot in the lane. The Bulls do a lot more drive and kick with their small lineups.

Yeah Vooch and Drummond are stretched to the limit of their abilities because of smallball lineup. The only real screeners and pretty much are battling at least 2 vs 1 every single night on the glass.

They have to run all over setting screens and Drummond is #3 in offensive rebounds while Vooch is #13 up from 27th last year so they are expending a ton of energy.

On the flip side Coby is leading the league in contested 3 while playing the 8th most mpg while the primary secondary ballhandler is #1 in mpg and our starting center is 28th in mpg while being 7th in contested threes again there is a ton of energy being expended on a daily basis by the primary guys in our pick and rolls.

The lack of a big forward even a raw young guy is catching up to us
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#5 » by FriedRise » Tue Mar 5, 2024 6:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Bruh
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,914