Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024 4.0

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Re: Bears 2024 4.0 

Post#21 » by patryk7754 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:35 pm

Just read a quote from Justin Jefferson that seemed liked he really wants fields.

"WE HAVE TO BUILD ON FOR AFTER KIRK...
HAVING JUSTIN FIELDS BRINGS A LITTLE MORE PRESSURE TO OTHER TEAMS BY HAVING A
DOMINANT OUARTERBACK LIKE WE IS:”*

Another player with high praise of fields but what do they know
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,528

Post#22 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:36 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:
Mindcrime wrote:
Read on Twitter

If this is true this is interesting.

Bears are primarily there for Jackson Powers-Johnson.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#23 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:38 pm

fleet wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:Everyone wants a homerun with every at bat, but just not realistic (well maybe if I am pitching to juiced Barry Bonds that might happen if I don't hit him lol) Still... seems Poles is smartly plugging holes and upgrading. Do I love Swift? nope, but better value than Jacobs or Barkley was and I don't even like the money spent on Swift. Oddly that signing makes me think they are more on Caleb because of his ability to catch.

I don't think reading what is going on with JF1 means much of anything. I mean we love it. We ALL do. It is more interesting than the Bulls. The Bulls are so milquetoast to talk about so this is fun fun fun. I just don't think anyone has any read on it and if a person did, they would be inside circle and surely not posting on these boards and or twitter (X). We are all kinda pissing in the wind a bit but I doth love the fun of it.

One might wonder if the small signings set the next big salary add on offense. Was hoping it would be on the top center in free agency. I don't know who else is on the board. But I wouldn't mind a scenario of bringing Tee Higgins over here. Then they can just draft Dallas Turner or whoever else edge and a lot has happened to set things up well. They have spent a ton of money on defense already.

Speaking of the Bulls, If Poles is keeping the cap flexible for a future splash, that's cool too. I imagine he was telling a lot of truth when he said he always wanted to stay cap healthy. The Bears don't have to max out the cap in 2024. And the top teams are most always built through the draft, not free agency. Folks talk about all the holes like it all has to be finished up this year.

Was Higgins tagged? I think we'd have to give up two first rounders but I'm not sure.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,546

Post#24 » by fleet » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:45 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:
fleet wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:Everyone wants a homerun with every at bat, but just not realistic (well maybe if I am pitching to juiced Barry Bonds that might happen if I don't hit him lol) Still... seems Poles is smartly plugging holes and upgrading. Do I love Swift? nope, but better value than Jacobs or Barkley was and I don't even like the money spent on Swift. Oddly that signing makes me think they are more on Caleb because of his ability to catch.

I don't think reading what is going on with JF1 means much of anything. I mean we love it. We ALL do. It is more interesting than the Bulls. The Bulls are so milquetoast to talk about so this is fun fun fun. I just don't think anyone has any read on it and if a person did, they would be inside circle and surely not posting on these boards and or twitter (X). We are all kinda pissing in the wind a bit but I doth love the fun of it.

One might wonder if the small signings set the next big salary add on offense. Was hoping it would be on the top center in free agency. I don't know who else is on the board. But I wouldn't mind a scenario of bringing Tee Higgins over here. Then they can just draft Dallas Turner or whoever else edge and a lot has happened to set things up well. They have spent a ton of money on defense already.

Speaking of the Bulls, If Poles is keeping the cap flexible for a future splash, that's cool too. I imagine he was telling a lot of truth when he said he always wanted to stay cap healthy. The Bears don't have to max out the cap in 2024. And the top teams are most always built through the draft, not free agency. Folks talk about all the holes like it all has to be finished up this year.

Was Higgins tagged? I think we'd have to give up two first rounders but I'm not sure.

The 25-year-old was franchise-tagged by the Bengals after being unable to reach an agreement on a long-term deal this offseason and is now requesting a trade. The availability of the former first-round pick out of Clemson will surely draw interest from several teams around the league.....

Not only would a chance at trading for a receiver of Higgins' quality be enticing, but according to a new report from Bleacher Report's Jordan Schultz, the asking price of the Bengals may even make him a bargain.

"It's my understanding that it would take about a [second], maybe a [third-round pick], to get him," Schultz said in a recent interview on FS1's Speak. "So, if you're a Carolina or Tennessee, those are the two best fits for me if I'm trading for Tee Higgins. Not only do you have to trade a two or three, but then you have to pay him; that's a big ask, and that's why I don't believe Tee Higgins ultimately gets traded this year."

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/news/new-england-patriots-tee-higgins-cincinnati-bengals-trade-asking-price-revealed-worth-it-value
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Mindcrime
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#25 » by Mindcrime » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:46 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Mindcrime wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sure.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Post#26 » by patryk7754 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:49 pm

We signed Simone biles boyfriend
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#27 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:49 pm

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

Simone Biles boyfriend. Pretty arrogant dude.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#28 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:53 pm

“It’s really how she pulled me, man. That’s the question,” the Green Bay Packers safety, 28, said on “The Pivot” podcast on Tuesday,

“I always say that the men are the catch,” Owens replied. “She did [pull me], though, because I was fighting it. … At the time, I was afraid to commit. I was like, ‘This is my third year [in the NFL], I’m trying … it’s kind of early, but, you know, it happens when you least expect it.”

Good thing he won’t be playing much. I won’t have to root for him, lol
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 756

Post#29 » by Hold That » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:54 pm

Mindcrime wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

Sure.

Poles isn’t drafting “Bo Nix”.. I’d bet my last dollar on that.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,144

Post#30 » by molepharmer » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:55 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Mindcrime wrote:
Read on Twitter

Troy Franklin (WR), projected mid-2nd round, was there as well. But JPJ was probably the main draw.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,522

Post#31 » by panthermark » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:55 pm

fleet wrote:Nothing is for sure other than death, and Jerry Reinsdorf's tone deafness. A key obstacle to teams adding Fields this week has been said to be his contract status, the May 2 deadline for picking up that expensive option. If that's true. the Bears are not an exception to that emotion. An unnamed AFC GM in a December Charles Robinson article seemed like he knew. But as you have previously stated, one can believe what one chooses.

“The fact that we’re in Year 3 and [they] don’t want to exercise the fifth-year option tells me what I need to know.”

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2023/12/14/24002147/unnamed-afc-gm-the-chicago-bears-arent-planning-to-pick-up-justin-fields-5th-year-option

Wait, an AFC GM knows for sure what Ryan Poles "wants" to do with Justin Fields in December of 2023? The prices of the options were not even set yet.

It is mid March of 2024, how many 5th year options have been picked up so far? Does that mean no GM's WANT to pick up 5th year options on their players and that tells us all we need to know?

The Bears were in the lead for the #1 pick in the draft. Of course they would have decisions to make.
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
The Evidence
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,621

Post#32 » by The Evidence » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:00 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Off topic but the market is clearly going up right now. This is such a wild conversation :lol:

if i were Cincy, i would consider that counter.

supposedly Burrow’s injury is pretty bad, and hard to come back from.

easier to find starter QBs than WR1s.
Mindcrime
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#33 » by Mindcrime » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:03 pm

Hold That wrote:
Mindcrime wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

Sure.

Poles isn’t drafting “Bo Nix”.. I’d bet my last dollar on that.

Most probably, but still teling in the grand scheme of things, checking every corner does not suggest they are sold on the "generational" stuff. Bears at least are doing their due deligence like they should be doing.

Edit: I mean "who led a sizable Chicago contingent" suggest to me that it is more than a checkdown on a C.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,958

Post#34 » by chitownsports4ever » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:08 pm

panthermark wrote:
fleet wrote:Nothing is for sure other than death, and Jerry Reinsdorf's tone deafness. A key obstacle to teams adding Fields this week has been said to be his contract status, the May 2 deadline for picking up that expensive option. If that's true. the Bears are not an exception to that emotion. An unnamed AFC GM in a December Charles Robinson article seemed like he knew. But as you have previously stated, one can believe what one chooses.

“The fact that we’re in Year 3 and [they] don’t want to exercise the fifth-year option tells me what I need to know.”

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2023/12/14/24002147/unnamed-afc-gm-the-chicago-bears-arent-planning-to-pick-up-justin-fields-5th-year-option

Wait, an AFC GM knows for sure what Ryan Poles "wants" to do with Justin Fields in December of 2023? The prices of the options were not even set yet.

It is mid March of 2024, how many 5th year options have been picked up so far? Does that mean no GM's WANT to pick up 5th year options on their players and that tells us all we need to know?

The Bears were in the lead for the #1 pick in the draft. Of course they would have decisions to make.

The 5th year option would not even be top 15 in salary it would put him around 17th its basically a non starter as a reason they wouldn't keep him .
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#35 » by fleet » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:18 pm

chitownsports4ever wrote:
panthermark wrote:

The 5th year option would not even be top 15 in salary it would put him around 17th its basically a non starter as a reason they wouldn't keep him .

At this point in time, aside from the imo unlikely event he is a starter in Chicago, he is a ticketed backup in the NFL by all appearances. That's the problem with NFL teams paying it. As well as the particular problem in Chicago of a commitment to extending him long term because you again just bypassed the last top quarterback class you will see. Huge, expensive risk/comittment.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,468

Post#36 » by jnrjr79 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:30 pm

fleet wrote:
panthermark wrote:Wait, an AFC GM knows for sure what Ryan Poles "wants" to do with Justin Fields in December of 2023? The prices of the options were not even set yet.

At this point in time, aside from the imo unlikely event he is a starter in Chicago, he is a ticketed backup in the NFL by all appearances. That's the problem with NFL teams paying it. As well as the particular problem in Chicago of a commitment to extending him long term because you again just bypassed the last top quarterback class you will see. Huge, expensive risk/comittment.

Yeah, you wonder to what extent the contract timing here is really driving down Fields' value. You have to decide on the 5th year option before he takes a snap for your team. The 5th year option isn't *that* much, but it's sure way too much for a backup.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,468

Post#37 » by jnrjr79 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:38 pm

Hunter to the Texans for 2 years, $49 million.

Ugh. Seems like a pretty reasonable deal for him.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#38 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:39 pm

fleet wrote:
panthermark wrote:Wait, an AFC GM knows for sure what Ryan Poles "wants" to do with Justin Fields in December of 2023? The prices of the options were not even set yet.

The Bears haven't picked up the 5th year option because they definitely dont want to pick up the 5th year option.

That Bears haven't traded Fields because they definitely don't want to trade Fields.

Those are the two polar opposites of the spectrum. Getting to either conclusion because the scenario hasn't occurred yet is equally ridiculous.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#39 » by fleet » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:42 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

Simone Biles boyfriend. Pretty arrogant dude.

84 tackles, hmm. I honestly don't know the first thing about him other than his odd couple pictures. But Poles is having an impressive early focus so far on first building quality depth, laying down the connective tissue of the team with his money/efforts. How many vital organs we will add is obviously very important. But those vital organs will only go as far as the depth of this roster. How much of this approach would be done by other GMs, don't know. I think big splashes are more the norm.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#40 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:46 pm

Hunter signed elsewhere on a reasonable contract.

Offseason so far

Retain HC with an abysmal record
Keep JF as of today
Big signing in FA is Deandre Swift
All major defensive lineman are gone in FA
Traded for a backup guard
Aging Safety
Depth signings.

What’s this grade thus far? C- ?

Return to Chicago Bulls