Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024 4.0

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Re: Bears 2024 4.0 

Post#81 » by patryk7754 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:35 am

dice wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:
dice wrote:because he got significantly less than HE asked for?

dude's not an elite EDGE but got 2 years of franchise tag money nearly fully guaranteed for age 30-31. seems like a pret-ty, pret-ty good deal for him

He was fifth in sacks. Out of the top 4 sack leaders, he had the most tackles, the most tackles for loss, and 2nd most forced fumbles. So yeah, he's pretty good and the Texans got him on a pretty good deal. Especially considering what all the other pass rushers are getting this offseason

well, you've downgraded the deal from "great" to "pretty good", so that's something. while hunter is certainly better than pretty good, and a notch above sweat, he ain't elite:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-10-most-valuable-edge-defenders-of-the-2023-season

and what are the other pass rushers getting this offseason again?

My bad. It’s still a great deal
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,465

Post#82 » by jnrjr79 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:43 am

patryk7754 wrote:
dice wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:He was fifth in sacks. Out of the top 4 sack leaders, he had the most tackles, the most tackles for loss, and 2nd most forced fumbles. So yeah, he's pretty good and the Texans got him on a pretty good deal. Especially considering what all the other pass rushers are getting this offseason

well, you've downgraded the deal from "great" to "pretty good", so that's something. while hunter is certainly better than pretty good, and a notch above sweat, he ain't elite:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-10-most-valuable-edge-defenders-of-the-2023-season

and what are the other pass rushers getting this offseason again?

My bad. It’s still a great deal

Agreed. It'll make Hunter the 7th highest per-year salaried defensive end, which is about right, but the big win is only having to commit to 2 years for a guy who is 30. I don't understand how this would be viewed as anything other than a great contract for Houston.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#83 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:59 am

Dresden wrote:So the fact they signed a TE pretty much ends the dream of getting Bowers I suppose. I really dont' get the hesitation on the part of Poles not to trade JF if a good deal presents itself. Even if they sour on Caleb, there's still Maye and Daniels to pick from. If being this cautious cost them the chance to make a good deal for JF, I think that's pretty bad managing by Poles.

I'm guessing Poles wasn't trigger happy on a trade because the only options are (a) Williams, or (b) Fields plus the picks acquired from trading the first pick.
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,083
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#84 » by Clint Eastwood » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:06 am

heir_jordan22 wrote:
dice wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:I would love to get JPJ but i think we would have to trade down from 9 and he's probably going in the top 22. Multiple potential landong spots for him form 16-22.

We would have to sign a WR2 and a starting DE imo to warrant trading down from 9.

unless there's a clear gap between EDGE 1 and 2/3 we should absolutely be trading down if no odunze

so watch poles trade down to like 13 and overdraft JPJ there. assuming a good RAS score, of course

It's very possible that all the receicers are gone at 9 and that one of Verse or Turner or gone. In that case you take the DE and move on (unless Poles intends to trade down and draft JPJ). If both Verse and Turner are available at 9, then trading down a few spots to 11-13 would be a good move I think.

Brian thomas, or adonai mitchell in a trade down would also be acceptable.
We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton. -BrooklynBulls
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#85 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:31 am

Clint Eastwood wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:
dice wrote:unless there's a clear gap between EDGE 1 and 2/3 we should absolutely be trading down if no odunze

so watch poles trade down to like 13 and overdraft JPJ there. assuming a good RAS score, of course

It's very possible that all the receicers are gone at 9 and that one of Verse or Turner or gone. In that case you take the DE and move on (unless Poles intends to trade down and draft JPJ). If both Verse and Turner are available at 9, then trading down a few spots to 11-13 would be a good move I think.

They would be great. Some more holes might be plugged in free agency. I think Poles was active for about a week last year in free agency.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,954

Post#86 » by Dresden » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:35 am

heir_jordan22 wrote:
Clint Eastwood wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:It's very possible that all the receicers are gone at 9 and that one of Verse or Turner or gone. In that case you take the DE and move on (unless Poles intends to trade down and draft JPJ). If both Verse and Turner are available at 9, then trading down a few spots to 11-13 would be a good move I think.

They would be great. Some more holes might be plugged in free agency. I think Poles was active for about a week last year in free agency.

That would be ideal, IMO- trade down, get a guy like Thomas or Mitchell, and then with the other pick, get a D lineman, or an IOL, or even another WR, depending on where the picks are.
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 909

Post#87 » by HearshotKDS » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:38 am

I think Poles will take a run at Arik Armstead and failing that go for a plan B of Wonnum or Danna + a 3rd or 4th round pick DE like Kneeland or maybe Kamara (hes smaller than Poles normally likes but hyper athletic/high RAS). Sweat/Wonnum or Danna/Walker/Kneeland or Kamara isnt a contending DE rotation but this team isnt a Hunter away from contending, 2024 is about developing a rookie QB or surround Fields with talent if they decide to keep him and seeing what they have. You cant fix everything in an offseason and *if* Poles has to choose between fixing WR room this year and figuring out DE2 next year or fixing the DE rotation this year and figuring our WR2 next year - I think the Bears team will be in a place where figuring out WR to support whoever is QB is more important than upgrading the DE rotation up from average to good/really good. Luckily (for now) most of the desirable WR FA that fit what the Bears need are still there minus Gabe Davis, im going to stay positive until all of them are gone.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Post#88 » by patryk7754 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:39 am

Dresden wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:
Clint Eastwood wrote:Brian thomas, or adonai mitchell in a trade down would also be acceptable.

That would be ideal, IMO- trade down, get a guy like Thomas or Mitchell, and then with the other pick, get a D lineman, or an IOL, or even another WR, depending on where the picks are.

Considering all the free agents moves so far I think one of our best plans could look something like this..

Sign Calvin Ridley
Trade down from 9 (assuming top 3 WRs are gone) and acquire a second round pick.

Draft best available WR in the first.
Draft best available DL in the second
Draft best available OL in 3rd and 4th
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,625
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#89 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:49 am

patryk7754 wrote:
Dresden wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:They would be great. Some more holes might be plugged in free agency. I think Poles was active for about a week last year in free agency.

Considering all the free agents moves so far I think one of our best plans could look something like this..

Sign Calvin Ridley
Trade down from 9 (assuming top 3 WRs are gone) and acquire a second round pick.

Draft best available WR in the first.
Draft best available DL in the second
Draft best available OL in 3rd and 4th

I wouldn't count out Poles taking Murphy (DL from Texas). Elite RAS guy with a high motor.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#90 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:56 am

Too many holes to fill with one pick at 9.

What a rough free agency.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#91 » by nomorezorro » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:17 am

dt options: arik armstead, sheldon rankins, calais campbell
edge options: jadeveon clowney, chase young, dj wonnum, mike danna, whoever the chargers cut
wr options: hollywood brown, tyler boyd, curtis samuel, josh reynolds

sign one of each, go into the draft unencumbered by need but with a strong preference for WR @9 (or in a trade-down) and another iOL depth piece on day 2 or early on day 3. simple as that
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,063

Post#92 » by Chi town » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:03 am

nomorezorro wrote:dt options: arik armstead, sheldon rankins, calais campbell
edge options: jadeveon clowney, chase young, dj wonnum, mike danna, whoever the chargers cut
wr options: hollywood brown, tyler boyd, curtis samuel, josh reynolds

sign one of each, go into the draft unencumbered by need but with a strong preference for WR @9 (or in a trade-down) and another iOL depth piece on day 2 or early on day 3. simple as that

Yep. Trade back to early teens for Latu.

2nd round pick from trade back get McConkey.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#93 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:32 am

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Too many holes to fill with one pick at 9.

Free agency started less than 48 hours ago. You may need to crack open a beer.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,955
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#94 » by MalagaBulls » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:48 am

Give me Wonnum for DE, OBJ or Reynolds for WR3. Then we roll with that into the draft.

Maybe Reader for DT depth and another IOL depth piece.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#95 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:22 am

heir_jordan22 wrote:

Free agency started less than 48 hours ago. You may need to crack open a beer.

Free agency is actually over for signing tier 1 talent. That’s a wrap.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#96 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:23 am

Wonder if a Fields for Josh Sweat trade with the Bears sending minimal draft comp (swapping of 4th rounders) would work. Boy that would solve a lot of problems.
jmajew
Rookie
And1: 340

Post#97 » by jmajew » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:29 am

I don't feel what we have done is that bad. We improved at Safety greatly, our D-Line is basically intact from last season and after the Sweat trade we were very good. We improved the OL with the Bates (?) trade. We got another pass catching TE that fits well in this system. All we are really missing is a QB and another WR. We need some more depth in areas, but I think we will get that.
Infinity2152
Senior
And1: 282

Post#98 » by Infinity2152 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:00 pm

Bears spent considerable money re-signing Jaylon Johnson. They also acquired a swing tackle, Bates, that Poles likes. They actually got a head start to free agency, but they spent a considerable amount of money. Jaylon Johnson would have been a premier free agent. Signed Johnathan Owen, safety. Signed Gerald Everett, TE. Signed D'Andre Swift, RB. Signed Kevin Byard, safety. Extended Patrick Scales, long snapper. Meeting with Viking's DE DJ Wonnum tomorrow. Signed Tavaris Moore, safety. Made an offer to Gabe Davis and Saquon Barkley. Poles hasn't exactly been sitting still or not spending money. Most of those guys are pretty highly regarded or Pro Bowlers.

This is before a draft where we have the number 1 pick, and two picks in the top 10. We could literally be picking anywhere in the first or second rounds and have no idea who will be available. I wouldn't panic yet. We also still don't know if he trades pick 1, which would add probably add 4-5 valuable players.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,928

Post#99 » by biggestbullsfan » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:22 pm

Read on Twitter
da pmp
Senior
And1: 169

Post#100 » by da pmp » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:25 pm

The Bears are not trading the #1 pick unless there is a medical issue with Caleb. Fields could also stay as a bridge QB and let him play out for half a season or more. They will almost certainly trade pick #9 in a draft class that is the deepest in along time. Qb, WR, and OT are about as a good as it’s been - especially OT and WR

Return to Chicago Bulls