Image ImageImage Image

Bulls signing all 5 Javonte Greens

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,754

Re: Bulls signing all 5 Javonte Greens 

Post#61 » by DuckIII » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:38 pm

dougthonus wrote:
DuckIII wrote:Signing Javonte does not help this team now because all there is now is the postseason, and his impact whatever it is will fall dramatically short of elevating this team to being able to win a series against any one.

I think it's quite possible that Javonte could be a difference maker in the play-in tournament or helping them get home court for the play-in tournament.

You can argue whether that matters or not, but I think it's value is not absolutely zero.

And we differ there. It is zero. The play in tournament is created out of nothing purely for financial purposes. They are make believe postseason games tacked onto a real postseason that was already inviting 16 out of 30 teams to the party. Now it’s 20! :lol:

But it worked. Look how many people attribute value to it. It’s the pet rock of professional sports.

We're not giving up anything here.

We’re probably not giving up anything here. There are less than 500 players in the NBA. The talent pool is every other eligible man on Earth. And many of them are capable of playing interior defense with height at an NBA level. They exist. Given the upside to signing Javonte is at most between zero and very little, these are the types of things our FO should do if competent.

It even help us with matchups, which is one of our biggest weaknesses for postseason play, if we are trying to win. Javonte may well add depth in a redundant way, which on some minor level is helpful, but he actually makes our matchup problem even worse.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,236

Post#62 » by HomoSapien » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:18 am

I’ve always liked Javonte as an end of the bench energy guy that you put in when you need a change of pace. I also like him when he’s playing guard or small forward. I don’t like him at the 4 and I don’t like that Torrey Craig’s minutes have suddenly been cut in half. Not sure if that’s because of Javonte or an injury, but we all know how much BD loves Green.

All that said, Green makes this current roster better. Not necessarily because he’s fantastic, but because Terry, Carter, and Taylor aren’t good and Bitim isn’t ready. I also think that Green could be a difference maker in the play-in-tournament. He eliminates those guys from the rotation (assuming he’s on the team) and can be a spark plug. Not hard to envision that being the difference in a close game between fairly evenly matched opponents.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,681

Post#63 » by sco » Mon Apr 1, 2024 12:37 pm

HomoSapien wrote:I’ve always like Javonte as an end of the bench energy guy that you put in when you need a change of pace. I also like him when he’s playing guard or small forward. I don’t like him at the 4 and I don’t like that Torrey Craig’s minutes have suddenly been cut in half. Not sure if that’s because of Javonte or an injury, but we all know how much BD loves Green.

All that said, Green makes this current roster better. Not necessarily because he’s fantastic, but because Terry, Carter, and Taylor aren’t good and Bitim isn’t ready. I also think that Green could be a difference maker in the play-in-tournament. He eliminates those guys from the rotation (assuming he’s on the team) and can be a spark plug. Not hard to envision that being the difference in a close game between fairly evenly matched opponents.

Brilliantly put!

IMO our biggest problem over the past few years hasn't been about the Zach's and Demar's of the world, it's been that we've had 3-4 guys in our rotation who aren't rotation-level talents. I think this is a key reason that young teams (not us per se) struggle for so long. You can probably get away with one, maybe two, guys who suck but are "developing" in the rotation, but 3+ hurts both through additional mistakes and missed shots, but also the additional wear and tear on other guys playing big minutes. I certainly want Terry to improve, but he's a hustle guy with a very limited skillset that doesn't include shooting. Javante Green is an elite defender and makes few mistakes offensively. I didn't want him back, like you said, because Billy can't help but play him at PF, but being as depleted as we are, he gives the same sort of lift that Pat Bev gave us last season...addition through subtraction.
:clap:
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#64 » by FriedRise » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:35 pm

Today is Day 10 of that 10-day contract. They have to sign him to another 10-day, don't they? He's just too good and impactful for this team.

Let me get this straight - so Javonte CAN play in the play-in / playoffs because he wasn't waived by an NBA team prior to this signing? Googling the subject and it seems to be the case that NBA playoff eligibility mostly applies to players who were waived.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#65 » by HomoSapien » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:45 pm

FriedRise wrote:Today is Day 10 of that 10-day contract. They have to sign him to another 10-day, don't they? He's just too good and impactful for this team.

Let me get this straight - so Javonte CAN play in the play-in / playoffs because he wasn't waived by an NBA team prior to this signing? Googling the subject and it seems to be the case that NBA playoff eligibility mostly applies to players who were waived.

I don’t think any of us know for sure (in regards to the hardship exception), as the rules about this aren’t clearly spelled out online. It seems likely that he’s eligible simply because he was never waived. Plus, you have to assume that it’d be a waste of time to play Javonte like this if there were no plans to have him available for the playoffs/play-in. There are two big questions: 1.) Is Julian Phillips going to actually return this season? 2.) If he does, who will we waive to keep Green?
FriedRise
RealGM

Post#66 » by FriedRise » Mon Apr 1, 2024 11:51 pm

Read on Twitter
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#67 » by HomoSapien » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:04 am

Read on Twitter
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,455

Post#68 » by LateNight » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:47 pm

“ladies and gentlemen… we got him”

Read on Twitter
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,231

Post#69 » by Red8911 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:54 pm

Terry Taylor was also waived…
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,563

Post#70 » by Andi Obst » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:37 pm

Fully guaranteed Terry Taylor for no reason at all in January only to release him now.

AK has a new fan!
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,681

Post#71 » by sco » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:46 pm

LateNight wrote:“ladies and gentlemen… we got him”

Read on Twitter

That's good news!

I feel like if you have guys like Caruso and Green, you need two of them due to higher than average injury rates for tough defenders.
:clap:
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,754

Post#72 » by DuckIII » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:04 pm

sco wrote:

Read on Twitter

That's good news!

I feel like if you have guys like Caruso and Green, you need two of them due to higher than average injury rates for tough defenders.

And now with this signing we have 6.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
FriedRise
RealGM

Post#73 » by FriedRise » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:46 pm

Look, I don't see any other team signing 5 players this late in the season. AK Executive of the Year!
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,154

Post#74 » by MrSparkle » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:26 pm

Andi Obst wrote:Fully guaranteed Terry Taylor for no reason at all in January only to release him now.

AK has a new fan!

I really don’t get it.
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,148

Post#75 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:45 pm

talk about a proto-meme. in fact, this may have actually been the first meme.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#76 » by HomoSapien » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:09 am

I’d rather have Green than Taylor, but we didn’t have to waive him just yet. We still have access to the hardship exception. At this point are we sure Philips even returns this season?
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,391

Post#77 » by drosestruts » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:29 pm

Bulls are undefeated when Green plays 16 minutes or more in a game (please don't check that this has only happened once).

I do wonder if we would have won that Washington game (which we lost by 2 points) if we had given some of Terry and Carter's minutes to Green.

Is it a problem that our success could be influenced so much by a guy signed in April? Probably, but here we are.

6-game win streak incoming to finish 42-40 and then lose the play-in game.
FriedRise
RealGM

Post#78 » by FriedRise » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:21 pm

Andi Obst wrote:Fully guaranteed Terry Taylor for no reason at all in January only to release him now.

AK has a new fan!

Also turning Bitim into a regular contract instead of keeping him as a 2-way.

AK is a weird dude lol.
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#79 » by R3AL1TY » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:07 am

Can't go wrong with an energy/hustle guy
nekorajo
Bench Warmer
And1: 580

Post#80 » by nekorajo » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:36 am

R3AL1TY wrote:Can't go wrong with an energy/hustle guy

Dalen Terry anyone?

Javonte is also skilled, athletic and a natural PF albeit undersized.

Return to Chicago Bulls