Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23

othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 761

Re: Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#1721 » by othawhitemeat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:06 pm

Dresden wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
Dresden wrote:And if he had taken Stroud, you could easily say that would have been a massive stroke of luck too, since the majority of analysts felt like Bryce Young was the better choice, and no one saw Stroud having the type of rookie season he had (and most likely would not have had with the Bears).

The thing about value is theoretical. It only translates into wins if the guys you pick end up being good. With Sweat, we got a guy who already had proven himself as being pretty good, and he proved that here. So part of the premium you paid to get him is due too the fact that you're getting a proven player, instead of some theoretical value of a draft pick. It's why the bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. The odds that a second round pick would be as productive as Sweat is pretty low.

:dontknow:

It's fine.

It seems that everyone thinks when we were making win now trades when we were 3-5 and Poles didn't feel we were a terrible team but instead should add to it by vastly overpaying for a bust, and then losing every game the rest of the year and in actuality being the worst team in the NFL, that this was all part of his brilliance.

In the end some true statements:
1: He thought the team was worth adding on to and was trying to win
2: His assessment of the situation was so far off that we were the worst team in the league
3: It took a miracle of stupidity by Houston for us to get the #1 pick
4: Without all of the above (which would actually point to Poles being comically far off in his assessment and actions) we would not have had the #1 pick and none of the good things that have happened would have happened

Like I said, I'm not trying to rip Poles, but if you look at how we arrived at all the important parts of this situation that make it good, the key piece is based on a complete and utter misevaluation by Poles, happened in spite of Poles direct efforts to try to make it not happen, and were aided by a comic blunder by the Texans.

Poles made what ended up being an amazing trade out of that #1, Poles made some quality picks the next year as well.

I don't hate Poles or anything, I don't think he's awful like I would think AK or Pace were awful. I think he's fine. However, thematically, he does a lot of things that give away value, has had the most luck in the NFL in his tenure of any GM and isn't really a huge part of making that luck, but I do think strategically he is thinking the right way about timelines and big macro decisions which isn't something I would have said about Pace or AK.

No one is saying Poles is brilliant. that's a straw man argument. What I take exception to is people thinking he is ignorant- that he "doesn't understand the math" behind what constitutes a good trade or that "he doesn't have any clue as to how to build a team". I think those kinds of statements are really off base, even arrogant for the later claim.

I think Poles has done some great things (deciding to pass on a QB last year in a weak class and getting extra picks in this draft being the best) and some questionable things - spending so much on LB's last offseason while neglecting the O line and the D line.

When you look at the big picture, and compare where the Bears are today to where they were when he took over, I think he's done a fantastic job of rebuilding the team in just 3 years. He's had some luck in there, but even if we were walking away from this past draft with someone like Penix, I think we'd be in pretty good shape.

Yeah, I think overall, Poles has shown to be an above average GM so far. Yeah, he has missed on Claypool and some others such as Fields for a 6th (maybe 4th) but I feel he has nailed it in many regards and admitted mistakes for most part when messed up.

1) The tear down by trading Roquan to rebuild - took a lot of guts.
2) trading out of #1 last year to get the Haul. While I doubt many thought the Panthers would have been this bad, it was not a surprise we got a top 5-10 pick.
3) Getting assets and while we trade for Claypool/Sweat, we have continued to id for most part with mid-20's players and younger while maintaining future flexibility.
4) I mean in the last 2 offseasons, we have came away with Edmunds, Edwards, Stevenson, Wright, Dexter Jr., Everett, Swift, Allen, Moore, Billings, Byard, Rome, Williams, etc... That's more than half of our roster starting in 2 years time frame and many of those are near elite and especially if Caleb works out. I think the way Poles silenced Caleb's camp concerns and brought in the most talent of any #1 pick is pretty remarkable. Some luck played into this, but yes, I think Poles is pretty good at his job too. I would imagine next offseason, he will work on dline and oline to shore up.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,578

Post#1722 » by fleet » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:12 pm

What happened with the Bears was a series of fortunate events on top of fortunate events. As much a perfect storm as GM engineered. A couple events here and there going differently, the Bears would be in a lot more uncertain of a situation. And the Bears succeeded on top of some questionable decisions such as not drafting Stroud and gambling on Fields. And if they drafted Stroud they wouldn’t be in the catbird seat they are in today as well. It’s not gonna matter to history. Poles is going to be lauded regardless, and that’s fair. But this will never happen ever again if anyone thinks there is a genius template.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 761

Post#1723 » by othawhitemeat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:40 pm

fleet wrote:What happened with the Bears was a series of fortunate events on top of fortunate events. As much a perfect storm as GM engineered. A couple events here and there going differently, the Bears would be in a lot more uncertain of a situation. And the Bears succeeded on top of some questionable decisions such as not drafting Stroud and gambling on Fields. And if they drafted Stroud they wouldn’t be in the catbird seat they are in today as well. It’s not gonna matter to history. Poles is going to be lauded regardless, and that’s fair. But this will never happen ever again if anyone thinks there is a genius template.

I think fortunate on top of calculated personally. Do I think Poles is a genius like Ainge/Riley of basketball - no. I do think however, he had both luck and very good moves. I think Poles is like if Krause's rebuild post-Jordan worked out perfectly assuming Williams/Odunze work out.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,522

Post#1724 » by panthermark » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:42 pm

fleet wrote:What happened with the Bears was a series of fortunate events on top of fortunate events. As much a perfect storm as GM engineered. A couple events here and there going differently, the Bears would be in a lot more uncertain of a situation. And the Bears succeeded on top of some questionable decisions such as not drafting Stroud and gambling on Fields. And if they drafted Stroud they wouldn’t be in the catbird seat they are in today as well. It’s not gonna matter to history. Poles is going to be lauded regardless, and that’s fair. But this will never happen ever again if anyone thinks there is a genius template.

Yeah, it is perfect storm on perfect storm.

What happens if Lovie does not go for it, or the 2pt conversion fails?
We draft #2.
Do the Texans still go Stroud #1? If so, do we pass on Young (and at that point Carter) to take Anderson or do we trade down?

If we would have taken Anderson at #2 last spring, last season would have been quite different. No DJ Moore.....do we stick the year out with Clayfool? I assume we don't trade for Sweat because Anderson is here...or maybe we do anyway? With just Mooney and Clayfool at WR, do we win any games? Maybe we end up with CW anyway because we lost our way into the #1 pick? :P
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,578

Post#1725 » by fleet » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:57 pm

Yep. All I know is that nobody last year besides the Bears went for the plan last year, and nobody went for the plan this year. It’s just not done. Too many downside scenarios. And just going in, you need to be sitting with a puzzling quarterback with perceived large upside intact that you can’t figure out yet for sure.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,896

Post#1726 » by dougthonus » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:00 pm

Ice Man wrote:
dougthonus wrote:You can make a trade that is good mathematically and get your ass kicked if your evaluation isn't also good.

Such as trading up your 16th and 19th picks for the 9th selection, then to pick Doug McDermott? :wink:

I think that was a mathematically terrible trade that also had terrible talent evaluation :lol: :lol:
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,625
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#1727 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:19 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Ice Man wrote:
dougthonus wrote:You can make a trade that is good mathematically and get your ass kicked if your evaluation isn't also good.

Such as trading up your 16th and 19th picks for the 9th selection, then to pick Doug McDermott? :wink:

I think that was a mathematically terrible trade that also had terrible talent evaluation :lol: :lol:

Dougie McBuckets? I don't know what you're talking about.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,135

Post#1728 » by NecessaryEvil » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,984

Post#1729 » by Dominator83 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:58 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:All GM success relies on luck. The Nuggets passed on Jokic in the first round. The Patriots passed on Brady in the first 5 rounds. Krause didn’t want to sign Rodman.

Sure. I agree completely.

I'm concerned with the parts of his job that aren't based on luck. As an example, on three occasions he's given up significant draft capital to acquire a player on an expiring deal that will then soon be paid at market value. That doesn't bring excess value to your franchise, it subtracts it. You are now paying the same money and out the high value draft pick.

IMO, this is obviously untrue. Sure, you can’t make a huge habit of this, but the thing about trading for a player like Sweat is you’re removing the uncertainty that goes into a 2nd round pick, which is probably going to hit less than half of the time. When you know you’re going to have a rookie QB on a cost-controlled contract, that’s precisely when moves like these are savvy. But if Caleb is a hit and signs a huge deal some years down the line, you’re not going to have the financial luxury of that sort of thing anymore (and team-building will get a lot harder).

People are whining and complaining WAY too much about the Sweat trade. I heard on one of those talk shows that after the Sweat trade... the Bears were NUMBER ONE in defensive points allowed. The trade clearly made the defense alot better. And people just assume these picks are automatic hits. They're not. The bust rate is pretty high.

Also, I don't buy at all that this team now can't be a win-now team. Last year the Texans were the 2nd worst team in football, and a Lovie miracle away from being THE worst. One CJ Stroud pick took them all the way from worst team in the league to winning a playoff game. **** can turn around FAST in this league. Strap in for the ride!
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#1730 » by Dominator83 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:43 pm

NesimLE wrote:
CBS7 wrote:
greenwing wrote:I'm a Bears fan but I will be the first to admit that I do not know NFL history nearly as intimately as I know the NBA. For any who believe that guys like Mahomes or Stroud would not have had success here had we drafted them, can anyone name an example of a stud quarterback who went from a bad situation to a good one that showed massive growth when they went for a change of scenery? I can understand with a bad O-line it will make the best of quarterbacks look pedestrian. But great QB's IMO tend to make the most of what they have and still look good. I see that argument a lot that guys like Mahomes and Stroud would have been bad in Chicago but I'm not so sure. I would be very curious to see if anyone can name some examples of QB's doing fantastic in new situations when they were poor performing QB's initially.

Its hard to say because those first 2-3 seasons are massive for QB development. You can coach good habits and coach out bad habits. But if they play for 2-3 seasons in bad situations with bad coaching they can easily build habits that will stick with them the rest of their careers.

IMO a great QB coach and situation can change the trajectory of a player's career in the first 2-3 years. Its one of those things you can just never have the real answer to though.

Jay Cutler is an example of the inverse though? A pro bowl QB who declined when he went to a worse situation. There probably aren’t many examples like that though, since good QBs are rarely on the market. Watson has declined since leaving, but he’s got extenuating circumstances I guess.
Geno Smith and Baker Mayfield are recent guys who’ve improved in new situations.

Cutler's 2nd full season as a starter in Denver he threw for 4500 yards. Never sniffed that here.

Drew Brees blew up to an elite QB when he went to New Orleans with Payton. Though he did start to show improvement tords the end of his San Diego run. But Payton really unlocked him with the Saints

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#1731 » by Dominator83 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:54 pm

Ice Man wrote:

Perfect example. If only they had drafted Lavine instead of later trading Butler for him!

Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,604

Post#1732 » by Jimako10 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:10 am

There's no doubt Sweat made an impact on the defense, but people are forgetting that the 2nd half of the season was really soft and was most likely the bigger reason for the defensive turnaround.

At Saints (L), good def game, points given up mostly from having 5 Bagent turnovers
Carolina (W)...no explanation needed
At Detroit (L)...gave up 31 pts
At Minny (W) against Dobbs, only been on the team for 10 days

Detroit (W) ...solid win/defensive game
At Cle (L)...against grandpa Flacco who threw for 374 yards

AZ (W)...Kylers 3rd game back from ACL.
ATL (W)...reeling team that started Heinicki
GB (L)...even though GB scored only 17 pts, Love was an efficient 27-32, 314 yards 2 TDs.

Yes, we may have been the best defensive team in the 2nd half, but I think the schedule/bad QBs was more of a factor in that turnaround. I wouldn't get my hopes up that their defensive dominance would carry over unless they pick up an elite pass rusher to go opposite Sweat. I'm going to guess that the defense will be about average overall.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,135

Post#1733 » by NecessaryEvil » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:16 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#1734 » by Charlesareed » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:27 am

Dominator83 wrote:
Ice Man wrote:

Perfect example. If only they had drafted Lavine instead of later trading Butler for him!

That would’ve been a great pick up for bulls jimmy & zach would have been great in Chicago

Also that’s the same draft the nuggets got jokic right with Gary Harris & nurkic
Chicago Raised me
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,591

Post#1735 » by dice » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:34 am

jnrjr79 wrote:
dice wrote:
Dresden wrote:
That's pretty much the value of a 5th this year- a 4th next year. So he got equal value, and just accelerated the process by a year. What's to complain about?

nonsensical statement. total fallacy. there is no "time value of draft pick" like there is a time value of money. GMs do that **** when their jobs are on the line. THAT's when this year's pick becomes more valuable

It’s universally understood that you discount a next-year pick by one round for trade value purposes.

which is as nonsensical as many accepted ideas in sports valuation, including "the blind side" theory that LT is more important than RT

and p.s.: it's not universal. some discount by half a round, some i'd assume not at all

the idea is strictly linked to the "better now than later" mentality. it is devoid of intellectual value
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
moorhosj
Junior
And1: 368

Post#1736 » by moorhosj » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:54 am

dice wrote:the idea is strictly linked to the "better now than later" mentality. it is devoid of intellectual value

The difference in value of present assets versus future assets is well accepted fact. The discount rate one uses is up for debate, but not the concept. Arguing against it without providing any supporting analysis is the argument devoid of intellectual value.
dice
RealGM

Post#1737 » by dice » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:54 am

Dominator83 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
Sure. I agree completely.

I'm concerned with the parts of his job that aren't based on luck. As an example, on three occasions he's given up significant draft capital to acquire a player on an expiring deal that will then soon be paid at market value. That doesn't bring excess value to your franchise, it subtracts it. You are now paying the same money and out the high value draft pick.

IMO, this is obviously untrue. Sure, you can’t make a huge habit of this, but the thing about trading for a player like Sweat is you’re removing the uncertainty that goes into a 2nd round pick, which is probably going to hit less than half of the time. When you know you’re going to have a rookie QB on a cost-controlled contract, that’s precisely when moves like these are savvy. But if Caleb is a hit and signs a huge deal some years down the line, you’re not going to have the financial luxury of that sort of thing anymore (and team-building will get a lot harder).

People are whining and complaining WAY too much about the Sweat trade. I heard on one of those talk shows that after the Sweat trade... the Bears were NUMBER ONE in defensive points allowed. The trade clearly made the defense alot better. And people just assume these picks are automatic hits. They're not. The bust rate is pretty high.

people were iffy on the sweat trade at the time. in part due to getting stung on the claypool trade, in part because sweat's defenses in washington were inconsistent

i am one of the few detractors now. because nothing has changed. he was a very good to excellent EDGE in washington and remained that in chicago. that was never the issue. it was and is a bad valuation move in a league that is by and large about valuation). if he had 2-3 years remaining on a fair contract it would've been bad. but that he was on an expiring deal made it worse. usually when a guy signs an extension early he takes a discount so he doesn't have to worry about an injury destroying his value. sweat got MORE than his worth, DESPITE signing early, because he had poles's balls in a vice

it's not just about the valuable draft pick. because the pick is obviously but a fraction of the total cost of the trade! the bears could have refrained from trading for sweat and instead:

1) spent the same money in free agency (not like there weren't decent options - could've taken a swing on 2 for the similar money)
2) potentially improved their draft position
3) retained the pick (JPJ come on down)
4) increased their cap space by several million (sweat's cap hit last year reduced their cap space by the same amount for THIS year)

but hey, the defense improved a lot in the short term, right? sweat was a beast for a 4 game stretch. and so he gets all the credit, though he was only partially responsible for the turnaround

Also, I don't buy at all that this team now can't be a win-now team.

of course they can win now. they're 40:1 in vegas right now, which is fringe contender (2018 bears were 60:1). and i think those odds are longer than they should be. but that's not an excuse to favor next year over future years. this is an ascending team, not one on the decline that needs to take one last shot
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#1738 » by dice » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:59 am

moorhosj wrote:
dice wrote:the idea is strictly linked to the "better now than later" mentality. it is devoid of intellectual value

The difference in value of present assets versus future assets is well accepted fact.

that's not what a fact is. it used to be a "well accepted fact" that the earth was flat. and football thinking is even more rooted in antiquated thinking than society as a whole. there was a damn book/movie made about it

The discount rate one uses is up for debate, but not the concept. Arguing against it without providing any supporting analysis is the argument devoid of intellectual value.

you haven't provided anything in FAVOR of it other than it's what other people told you. that is a childlike acceptance. it is faith, not science

i assume you also believe in the "blind side", which is also "accepted fact"?

at the risk of repeating myself, the "fact" that present draft picks are worth more is mostly a function of a GM valuing his job over the next guy's job. and also in part because human beings have a tough time with delayed gratification. so they make up excuses for acting in the present ("tomorrow isn't guaranteed!", etc.). that is not team serving. it is self serving. there IS no evidence to back up the "fact" that the current pick is worth more. because it's a totally made up "fact." you cannot invest a 5th round pick this year such that it accumulates in value to a 4th round pick next year. because...wait for it...draft picks are not money! but when enough GMs tell the owner "uh yeah, well...draft picks decrease in value over time, so i'm actually making a good move, boss"...it eventually becomes an "accepted fact" in the industry

more likely than not, a year from now fans will be wishing poles hadn't done what he did. because they'll want their increased draft day entertainment value. which is more important to them in the moment than the team's fortunes on the field that fall and beyond...there's that whole delayed gratification thing again
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,069

Post#1739 » by NZB2323 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:02 am

Jimako10 wrote:There's no doubt Sweat made an impact on the defense, but people are forgetting that the 2nd half of the season was really soft and was most likely the bigger reason for the defensive turnaround.

At Saints (L), good def game, points given up mostly from having 5 Bagent turnovers
Carolina (W)...no explanation needed
At Detroit (L)...gave up 31 pts
At Minny (W) against Dobbs, only been on the team for 10 days

Detroit (W) ...solid win/defensive game
At Cle (L)...against grandpa Flacco who threw for 374 yards

AZ (W)...Kylers 3rd game back from ACL.
ATL (W)...reeling team that started Heinicki
GB (L)...even though GB scored only 17 pts, Love was an efficient 27-32, 314 yards 2 TDs.

Yes, we may have been the best defensive team in the 2nd half, but I think the schedule/bad QBs was more of a factor in that turnaround. I wouldn't get my hopes up that their defensive dominance would carry over unless they pick up an elite pass rusher to go opposite Sweat. I'm going to guess that the defense will be about average overall.

Our defense got 3 interceptions against Flacco and last year was somewhat of a comeback year for him. He had the 4th highest rating of his career and played way better than he did in 2022. I’m okay with the defense giving away 374 yards if they get 3 interceptions.

Do we have a harder schedule this year?
moorhosj
Junior
And1: 368

Post#1740 » by moorhosj » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:23 am

dice wrote: you cannot invest a 5th round pick this year such that it accumulates in value to a 4th round pick next year. because...wait for it...draft picks are not money!

No, they are assets, as I said in my comment. Assets have the value that the market applies to them. Hundreds of trades over decades shows us how teams value draft picks.

Return to Chicago Bulls