Image ImageImage Image

Your offseason plans for the Bulls

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

burlydee
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Re: Your offseason plans for the Bulls 

Post#181 » by burlydee » Fri May 3, 2024 11:38 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
burlydee wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
I agree DeMar will have suitors, but for him to end up in NY or Miami, they have to be willing to pay more than the Bulls are willing to pay and they have to be willing to make a trade for him. Philly is easier since they'll have cap space, but he seems to be a less great fit there than some of their other potential options, though still a plausible match.

I think Demar would go to NY for less money. Not sure how much less. I think he really wants to be competitive next season.

He doesn't have the option to go to NY for less money, because NY isn't going to have any cap space to sign him. Unless you're suggesting that DeMar, who has been insisting on a huge 3-year deal with the Bulls to re-sign, by all reports, is going to sign there on the MLE or whatever.

I'm saying Demar, who has been insisting on a huge 3 year with the Bulls, may be willing to take a 2 year deal to chase a championship. In which case it may be better for the Bulls to look for a trade partner.
burlydee
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#182 » by burlydee » Fri May 3, 2024 11:41 pm

Red8911 wrote:
burlydee wrote:I'm surprised so many people think Demar is guaranteed to come back. I think that is the biggest chip to fall, even before Lavine.

I think Demar is going to have suitors. Everyone kind of chuckled when he said he wanted to play in NY, Miami or Philly, but I think it's a real possibility he ends up in one of those places. If Demar wants to leave, I wonder how much that shifts focus on Zach and a full rebuild.

Plan is to keep Demar and are offering him really good money. It is also known that Demar would prefer to stay in Chicago as well. Bulls will make changes to the roster this offseason to try to get better and that should satisfy him.

Can things fall apart during negotiations ? Ofcourse he’s a FA but as far as we know it looks like Demar will resign. In the end money talks, is another team going to give him 40 mil or anything close ? If not then it’s a lock. No way Demar is taking a pay cut on his last big contract as a pro.

As for Zach he’s getting traded whether Demar stays or leaves. Bulls and Zach relationship is over and both sides are ready to move on.

Do we want the Bulls to give Demar $40 million? Is that good team building? I don't want to meet him at that number.

I think the Bulls / Lavine relationship is basically over. I just wonder if they'd be more inclined to try and rebuild his value if he has a credible chance to be a 1st option here.
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,321

Post#183 » by d boy gentleman » Sat May 4, 2024 12:07 am

League Circles wrote:
d boy gentleman wrote:
Andi Obst wrote:
None of that makes any sense to me, I'm sorry.

Dumping a good young player on a good deal is simply bad. Always.

A rebuild is necessary. As stated, Ayo is not a franchise player and probably won’t stick around for the duration of the rebuild as he’s only on a three year deal. I’m not saying to sell low, but if you can get a late 1st or 2 2nds for Ayo, you do it.

You do the same with Coby; sell high as well.

Love both as players but, if you rebuild, you got to tear it all down and start from scratch. That involves sinking to the bottom and losing as many games as possible to be in the bottom 3. That way, we can draft our franchise player and build around him.

It's EXTREMELY unlikely that just "being in the bottom 3" will yield a franchise player worth building around. Even if we do it for several years in a row. I mean, we've had all these top 3 picks in the last quarter century:

Brand
Chandler
JWill
Tyrus
Gordon
Rose

Only 1 of those 6 guys was close to worthy of "building a team" around. And if we extend it to top 4 picks, we add Curry, Fizer, and Patrick Williams.

Meanwhile, 6 of 8 top seeds in the playoffs this are led by guys drafted outside the top 10 lol. It's hard to understand why people still have this mentality.

It would depend on the draft class, but if you can get some building blocks with some of those picks. I know that they wouldn't hit in every draft, but if they can get an Asuar or Amen Thompson with the 4th or 5th pick, that adds to the core. This team isn't winning anything, so why not hit the reset button?
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
bullskokie
Senior
And1: 242

Post#184 » by bullskokie » Sat May 4, 2024 12:16 am

TBH, I would like to see the Bulls let go DDR.. use cap space and sign 3&D vets, let a motivated Zach play at least through the deadline.. if that does not work, then we rebuild.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,448

Post#185 » by Muzbar » Sat May 4, 2024 2:31 am

bullskokie wrote:TBH, I would like to see the Bulls let go DDR.. use cap space and sign 3&D vets, let a motivated Zach play at least through the deadline.. if that does not work, then we rebuild.

If DDR walks, the Bulls still have to resign Pat and sign their draft pick, they won't have capspace.

I'm ok with letting DDR walk and letting Zach pad his stats a bit, but then he takes minutes away from Ayo or Coby, I'd rather just rip off that band-aid off and just get something in return earlier rather than later.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,330

Post#186 » by Stratmaster » Sun May 5, 2024 8:57 pm

DuckIII wrote:
drosestruts wrote:I think the idea of trading Coby and Ayo isn't without merit.

It is at the value you are putting on those trades. If you can package them together or with others to get even better value in return, you do it. But a late first for Coby and 2 seconds for Ayo is massively below their value.

Coby is now playing like a 7th pick, and Ayo is playing like a late lottery pick. And by that I mean they are playing like that even for 7th and late lotto picks who in fact do succeed. I’m not even calculating all of the players drafted at those positions who fail.

Moreover, a team led by Coby and Ayo as its two main players is going to suck. It’s not an anti-tank move to keep them. At their age, quality, and contracts they are basically the two guys on the team at the absolute bottom of the “trade to rebuild” list.
I agree on Ayo. Don't agree that Coby played like a #7 pick in his fifth season. After the way the season ended, I would be inclined to put more value on Ayo.

Ayo actually impacted the way the team played the way he pushed the tempo. With the right players around him, and if the Bulls ever get serious about moving into the 21st century, that could be valuable.

White simply stepped into Zach's role and played the role less efficiently (than Zach in previous seasons), but admirably.

Sent from my SM-S911U using RealGM mobile app
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#187 » by Stratmaster » Sun May 5, 2024 8:58 pm

burlydee wrote:I'm surprised so many people think Demar is guaranteed to come back. I think that is the biggest chip to fall, even before Lavine.

I think Demar is going to have suitors. Everyone kind of chuckled when he said he wanted to play in NY, Miami or Philly, but I think it's a real possibility he ends up in one of those places. If Demar wants to leave, I wonder how much that shifts focus on Zach and a full rebuild.
I hope you are correct, but I doubt it.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#188 » by Stratmaster » Sun May 5, 2024 9:02 pm

League Circles wrote:
d boy gentleman wrote:
Andi Obst wrote:
None of that makes any sense to me, I'm sorry.

Dumping a good young player on a good deal is simply bad. Always.

A rebuild is necessary. As stated, Ayo is not a franchise player and probably won’t stick around for the duration of the rebuild as he’s only on a three year deal. I’m not saying to sell low, but if you can get a late 1st or 2 2nds for Ayo, you do it.

Love both as players but, if you rebuild, you got to tear it all down and start from scratch. That involves sinking to the bottom and losing as many games as possible to be in the bottom 3. That way, we can draft our franchise player and build around him.

It's EXTREMELY unlikely that just "being in the bottom 3" will yield a franchise player worth building around. Even if we do it for several years in a row. I mean, we've had all these top 3 picks in the last quarter century:

Brand
Chandler
JWill
Tyrus
Gordon
Rose

Only 1 of those 6 guys was close to worthy of "building a team" around. And if we extend it to top 4 picks, we add Curry, Fizer, and Patrick Williams.

Meanwhile, 6 of 8 top seeds in the playoffs this are led by guys drafted outside the top 10 lol. It's hard to understand why people still have this mentality.
I agree. Trying to be bad for higher picks was already just a hope and a prayer. With the new lotto system and odds, it is complete folly.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#189 » by Stratmaster » Sun May 5, 2024 9:09 pm

Muzbar wrote:
bullskokie wrote:TBH, I would like to see the Bulls let go DDR.. use cap space and sign 3&D vets, let a motivated Zach play at least through the deadline.. if that does not work, then we rebuild.

If DDR walks, the Bulls still have to resign Pat and sign their draft pick, they won't have capspace.

I'm ok with letting DDR walk and letting Zach pad his stats a bit, but then he takes minutes away from Ayo or Coby, I'd rather just rip off that band-aid off and just get something in return earlier rather than later.
If Demar is gone, you open up 36 minutes at the 3. You play Zach a good number of minutes there, and you run...run...run. You have 144 minutes to split between Ayo, Coby, Zach and Caruso. Caruso is only going to play 25 and is going to miss a bunch of games. There is plenty of playing time if Demar walks.

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,687

Post#190 » by sco » Sun May 5, 2024 9:12 pm

dougthonus wrote:
DuckIII wrote:Moreover, a team led by Coby and Ayo as its two main players is going to suck. It’s not an anti-tank move to keep them. At their age, quality, and contracts they are basically the two guys on the team at the absolute bottom of the “trade to rebuild” list.

They're both going to be UFAs in 2 years.

At that point, who knows what their contracts will look like as two years is a long time, but I will throw out two scenarios:

1: They continue with iterative improvements and also get lots of shots Coby is a 20/7 guy around 39% from 3 and Ayo is a 17/5/5 guy with good defense and a good 3. Neither are starts, but both are clear starting caliber players with possibly some room to grow still.

In this scenario, both guys probably get at least the 25% max.

2: They do not make improvements and in fact regress over time, and are maybe MLE type players that are best suited for playing 20 minutes off the bench. At this point, they are not really relevant to our plan.

In either of those scenarios, I would trade them for decent first round picks right now to foster a rebuild starting in 2+ years. I'd be looking for 1sts that have a shot at being in the lottery (even if protected from the top 5 or so) and seem highly likely to be in the top 20. Maybe two slightly worse picks vs 1 better pick depending.

If the offer is what you say (late 1st for Coby and a couple 2nd for Ayo), then I'd hang on to them. I think the offer would be closer to what I just said though. If I'm SA, I would consider giving the Bulls back their 2025 pick and maybe a lotto protected 1st to pair Coby with Wemby (unless a different team would give me a better player for the same deal). That said, who knows, you might be right, I might be wrong in terms of offers.

I don't view either as "critical" to trade in a rebuild, but they aren't at the bottom, because their contract situation is going to stink in 2 years, and we aren't going to be any good the next 2 years. They are unlikely to be meaningful assets on their next deals for a rebuilding team, and it's hard to imagine any scenario we aren't a rebuilding team in 2 years.

Obviously if you can get anything for Vuc or DeMar or Zach in a rebuild scenario you should do it, but you probably have to pay to get Vuc off the roster (that obviously does not help a rebuild), you might have to pay to get Zach off the roster (would not help the rebuild), and trading DeMar would only be a S&T and thus unlikely to bring back anything meaningful (which would also not help the rebuild except perhaps making you worse to get a better pick of your own).

No one else has a long enough deal or enough value to warrant discussing in a trade except Caruso, whom probably is by far the most obvious trade candidate in a rebuild scenario, but Coby / Ayo are probably the next two best candidates if you actually want to rebuild and realize you're going to need two gap years.

That said, all moot, as we aren't going to rebuild.

Good points.

I have come around a bit on the "not rebuilding" strategy. Not that it matters. The merit there is that a decent percentage of all stars don't become allstars with the team that drafted them. Moreover many of them weren't top 10 picks. Beyond that teams that rebuild often do so in concert with starting 4 or 5 recent draft picks to develop them, and they will also do so with inexperienced coaches. I am a big believer that many very good players become that way through watching the habits of very good vets and also have experienced good coaches.

Coby and Ayo have made strides forward being in that latter sort of environment, and even if we move on from Demar and Caruso, I think those 2 can become the sorts of vets that will help the future development of young guys added to our team, the way that Deng helped the development of Jimmy and Taj.
:clap:
d boy gentleman
Analyst

Post#191 » by d boy gentleman » Sun May 5, 2024 10:46 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
League Circles wrote:
d boy gentleman wrote:

Brand
Chandler
JWill
Tyrus
Gordon
Rose

I agree. Trying to be bad for higher picks was already just a hope and a prayer. With the new lotto system and odds, it is complete folly.

It’s not “trying to be bad”, it’s actually being bad I order to attain a high draft pick in the top 3-5. You might not get the number one pick, but 2 or 3 isn’t bad either and the Bulls still can get their player.

This current team isn’t good nor is it bad. It is “middling play-in” and that’s no position that the team nor its fans want to be in. Tear it down and start the rebuild. This team is not going to leapfrog any of the teams ahead of them any time soon. Why not do what the Orlando Magic or Oklahoma City Thunder did. Look at where they are now. Heck, I’d prefer to be the Pistons right now with Cunningham, Duren, Ivy and Thompson and whatever draft pick they’re going to select in draft. AND they have cap space. Losing sucks, but so does what this team has going on now. This had its 4 year run and now it’s time to hit that button
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,195

Post#192 » by League Circles » Sun May 5, 2024 10:56 pm

d boy gentleman wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
League Circles wrote:It's EXTREMELY unlikely that just "being in the bottom 3" will yield a franchise player worth building around. Even if we do it for several years in a row. I mean, we've had all these top 3 picks in the last quarter century:

Brand
Chandler
JWill
Tyrus
Gordon
Rose

It’s not “trying to be bad”, it’s actually being bad I order to attain a high draft pick in the top 3-5. You might not get the number one pick, but 2 or 3 isn’t bad either and the Bulls still can get their player.

This current team isn’t good nor is it bad. It is “middling play-in” and that’s no position that the team nor its fans want to be in. Tear it down and start the rebuild. This team is not going to leapfrog any of the teams ahead of them any time soon. Why not do what the Orlando Magic or Oklahoma City Thunder did. Look at where they are now. Heck, I’d prefer to be the Pistons right now with Cunningham, Duren, Ivy and Thompson and whatever draft pick they’re going to select in draft. AND they have cap space. Losing sucks, but so does what this team has going on now. This had its 4 year run and now it’s time to hit that button

There aren't any teams expected to pick in the top 3. At 4 and later you're projected to get guys like Demar, Coby, Zach etc IF they pan out once they're in their primes 5 years down the road.

What 4 year run have we had? This group has been together for 3 seasons. During which we do happen to still have a winning record.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
prolific passer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,294

Post#193 » by prolific passer » Sun May 5, 2024 11:28 pm

d boy gentleman wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
League Circles wrote:It's EXTREMELY unlikely that just "being in the bottom 3" will yield a franchise player worth building around. Even if we do it for several years in a row. I mean, we've had all these top 3 picks in the last quarter century:

Brand
Chandler
JWill
Tyrus
Gordon
Rose

It'd be nice to be like the thunder and magic but have you seen the bulls front office when it comes to building through the draft? Closest time we had like that was Paxson's time from 03-08 when he drafted guys from winning situations in college and overseas.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,403

Post#194 » by coldfish » Sun May 5, 2024 11:46 pm

burlydee wrote:
Red8911 wrote:

Plan is to keep Demar and are offering him really good money. It is also known that Demar would prefer to stay in Chicago as well. Bulls will make changes to the roster this offseason to try to get better and that should satisfy him.

Can things fall apart during negotiations ? Ofcourse he’s a FA but as far as we know it looks like Demar will resign. In the end money talks, is another team going to give him 40 mil or anything close ? If not then it’s a lock. No way Demar is taking a pay cut on his last big contract as a pro.

As for Zach he’s getting traded whether Demar stays or leaves. Bulls and Zach relationship is over and both sides are ready to move on.

Do we want the Bulls to give Demar $40 million? Is that good team building? I don't want to meet him at that number.

I think the Bulls / Lavine relationship is basically over. I just wonder if they'd be more inclined to try and rebuild his value if he has a credible chance to be a 1st option here.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but the reports are that the Bulls already offered Demar 2/80. The hang up is that he wants 3 years.

I agree with burlydee that the logical thing here is to just let Demar walk and keep Zach as a #1 option. Let him fill the box score and see if you can get better trade offers later.

Sadly, the real Bulls don't think like this.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,155

Post#195 » by MrSparkle » Mon May 6, 2024 12:05 am

Honestly, Demar's an excellent player, but Bulls need to run younger at the wings... that's that.

If it's a -9 wins next year, so be it. If AK wants another depressing press conference next April, talking about how the team expected to be better, then he can **** right off. This team's ceiling with the same cast (and better luck), at this point, is 41 wins.

I didn't bother reading it but there was some Yahoo article about a DFS/Bulls interest. Uhm, what? Pay for another Torrey Craig?

It pays to be patient when you're 3-5 years in with your prospects, cause a complete development cycle lasts 6-8 years for some guys. But we also know that their ceiling isn't championship contending. Atleast not with the parts the Bulls have.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,068

Post#196 » by Chi town » Mon May 6, 2024 12:23 am

MrSparkle wrote:Honestly, Demar's an excellent player, but Bulls need to run younger at the wings... that's that.

If it's a -9 wins next year, so be it. If AK wants another depressing press conference next April, talking about how the team expected to be better, then he can **** right off. This team's ceiling with the same cast (and better luck), at this point, is 41 wins.

I didn't bother reading it but there was some Yahoo article about a DFS/Bulls interest. Uhm, what? Pay for another Torrey Craig?

It pays to be patient when you're 3-5 years in with your prospects, cause a complete development cycle lasts 6-8 years for some guys. But we also know that their ceiling isn't championship contending. Atleast not with the parts the Bulls have.

Vuc and DDR are declining. Def not improving. If we bring everyone back we will be even worse due improving impact Coby and Ayo could have but won’t fully realize due to usage of Vuc and DDR
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#197 » by Stratmaster » Mon May 6, 2024 12:58 am

League Circles wrote:
d boy gentleman wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:I agree. Trying to be bad for higher picks was already just a hope and a prayer. With the new lotto system and odds, it is complete folly.

There aren't any teams expected to pick in the top 3. At 4 and later you're projected to get guys like Demar, Coby, Zach etc IF they pan out once they're in their primes 5 years down the road.

What 4 year run have we had? This group has been together for 3 seasons. During which we do happen to still have a winning record.
Yep. And I just mentioned in another thread; I don't think people remember how bad this team was when Lavine first got here. As frustrated as we are, the Bulls before Vuc, DDR and Lonzo got here were a one man band.

Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,448

Post#198 » by Muzbar » Mon May 6, 2024 1:36 am

Stratmaster wrote:
Muzbar wrote:

If Demar is gone, you open up 36 minutes at the 3. You play Zach a good number of minutes there, and you run...run...run. You have 144 minutes to split between Ayo, Coby, Zach and Caruso. Caruso is only going to play 25 and is going to miss a bunch of games. There is plenty of playing time if Demar walks.

If they don't replace DeRozan with another SF or move Pat there and pick up an actual PF (Haha, funny joke).

Zach will probably miss a bunch of games anyways, so there'll probably be minutes there also.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
d boy gentleman
Analyst

Post#199 » by d boy gentleman » Mon May 6, 2024 2:24 am

League Circles wrote:
d boy gentleman wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:I agree. Trying to be bad for higher picks was already just a hope and a prayer. With the new lotto system and odds, it is complete folly.

Ok, 3 years heading into year 4. One playoff win and two play-in wins and everyone wanting Zach gone as he's been the scapegoat. That's a horrible 3 years and it's time to reset

SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,700

Post#200 » by SfBull » Mon May 6, 2024 12:01 pm

What I'd do?
Firstly I'd fire Donovan.We won't go nowhere with him.
I'd try to resign DeMar.He was our best player last season and should stay.
I wouldn't resign Pat,I'd let him test his RFA situation and if he played poorly or get another injury I'd just release him as UFA.
I'd try to trade Zach for the best package I could get

Return to Chicago Bulls