Image ImageImage Image

Potential Zach Trade Partners? Playoff Edition.

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,490

Re: Potential Zach Trade Partners? Playoff Edition. 

Post#181 » by jnrjr79 » Fri May 3, 2024 2:27 pm

DuckIII wrote:I have been holding out hope that the 76ers losing might generate a suitor for Lavine, and I love the fit for the 76ers. I continue to believe that if Zach lands on a solid team with an established hierarchy as the third scorer, he’s absolutely a championship caliber contributor.

But I just watched a breakdown of the 76ers offseason and I didn’t realize they had $60 million in cap space. They are going to have quite a few options.

Probably wasn’t very realistic anyway.

Are they?

They can get Zach for cheap, as they could absorb him into cap space, so he could effectively be a FA signing. Who are they going to get that would be more appealing than Zach? Paul George? You'd have to imagine Indy will give a bag to Siakim, as Weill NY and Anunoby.

Heck, the biggest risk might be DeMar walking and going there.

EDIT: Doug said it before me and better than me.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,238

Post#182 » by Red8911 » Fri May 3, 2024 3:17 pm

PaKii94 wrote:Poor Zach he's so misunderstood and no one wants him

Billy obviously benched him and told him GTFO the team leaving lavine no other option but to slowly trudge over to AKs office, sigh and say "if you truly don't want me here then I'm ok with moving to a different team"

Darn you Billy D!!!!!

Poor Zach made a lot of money this year by doing nothing for most of the season but rehabbing in his LA mansion. Poor guy lol. He pretty much robbed the Reinsdorfs and did it while not even showing up to work.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,067

Post#183 » by Chi town » Fri May 3, 2024 3:22 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:I have been holding out hope that the 76ers losing might generate a suitor for Lavine, and I love the fit for the 76ers. I continue to believe that if Zach lands on a solid team with an established hierarchy as the third scorer, he’s absolutely a championship caliber contributor.

But I just watched a breakdown of the 76ers offseason and I didn’t realize they had $60 million in cap space. They are going to have quite a few options.

Are they?

They can get Zach for cheap, as they could absorb him into cap space, so he could effectively be a FA signing. Who are they going to get that would be more appealing than Zach? Paul George? You'd have to imagine Indy will give a bag to Siakim, as Weill NY and Anunoby.

I don’t think the Sixers have a better option than Zach. Embiid Zach Maxey would take down the Knicks and probably get to the ECF.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,067

Post#184 » by Chi town » Fri May 3, 2024 3:25 pm

It’s going to be crazy when AK looks like a genius when injured Zach has a bidding war for his services.

AK is an absolute fool. What he calls patience is stubborn pride and blind incompetence.

And he may just get rewarded for it.
Red8911
RealGM

Post#185 » by Red8911 » Fri May 3, 2024 3:29 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:

Are they?

Maybe Philly becomes interested in trading for Zach but the problem is they don’t really have much to offer back to the bulls.

AK wants at least a solid player in return and surely they aren’t giving up Embiid or Maxey, also let’s not forget salaries need to somewhat match. I don’t see them being in the mix for Zach.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach

Post#186 » by jnrjr79 » Fri May 3, 2024 3:38 pm

Red8911 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

Are they?

Maybe Philly becomes interested in trading for Zach but the problem is they don’t really have much to offer back to the bulls.

AK wants at least a solid player in return and surely they aren’t giving up Embiid or Maxey, also let’s not forget salaries need to somewhat match. I don’t see them being in the mix for Zach.

Salaries do not need to match at all because Philly is a cap space team. That's why this will be so desirable to Chicago, presumably, because they've got luxury tax issues if they try to run it back.

So, the most likely scenario here is that you pick a player from Philly that is expiring (Hield, Mo Bambi, Oubre, whatever), do a S&T with that player, throw in draft capital, and call it a day.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,765

Post#187 » by DuckIII » Fri May 3, 2024 3:50 pm

Red8911 wrote:

Billy obviously benched him and told him GTFO the team leaving lavine no other option but to slowly trudge over to AKs office, sigh and say "if you truly don't want me here then I'm ok with moving to a different team"

Darn you Billy D!!!!!

Poor Zach made a lot of money this year by doing nothing for most of the season but rehabbing in his LA mansion. Poor guy lol. He pretty much robbed the Reinsdorfs and did it while not even showing up to work.

First, I think he and the team both decided collectively to sit out longer than his initial injury required in an effort to trade him. Second, he did really get surgery, so there is no doubt he had or later developed a legitimate injury.

Plus, he’s gutted it out through injuries numerous times over the years for the Bulls. Calling him a quitter and taking a dump on him like this is nonsense.

The only thing fishy here was the announcement to get the surgery coming so close to the trade deadline.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#188 » by DuckIII » Fri May 3, 2024 3:52 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:

Are they?

God bless you and Doug for trying to make me feel better, but I’m of the mind that capspace is for Paul George. Philly fans want blood and a big name. No way Morey actually targets Lavine. Zach will be their version of Kentucky signing Mark Pope. Might be the perfect signing, but not one real high on the list of options.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach

Post#189 » by jnrjr79 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:26 pm

DuckIII wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

Are they?

God bless you and Doug for trying to make me feel better, but I’m of the mind that capspace is for Paul George. Philly fans want blood and a big name. No way Morey actually targets Lavine. Zach will be their version of Kentucky signing Mark Pope. Might be the perfect signing, but not one real high on the list of options.

You may be right, but it's also possible the Clippers just throw a max at him and he stays. I don't know if George would prefer to ring chase in Philly or just keep on living in L.A. playing for a team that may yet contend if it could ever get healthy. I mean, relying on the health of Joel Embiid is also not a safe bet.

Also, George is 34 and would make more $$ than Zach if Philly maxed him. Does their front office really want to do that just because his name has more sizzle?

L.A. should honestly blow it up at this point, but are they going to do that when they have their debut season in their new splashy stadium next year?
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,417

Post#190 » by Indomitable » Fri May 3, 2024 5:36 pm

dougthonus wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:This is why DeRozan makes sense for them.

DeRozan doesn't fit any team needs. They need shooting, perimeter defense, and off-ball player. DeRozan is none of those things. They do not need an isolation pound the ball, mid range player. He'll cramp the spacing for both Embiid and Maxey, and he will rarely have the ball in his hands.

If DeMar is available cheap enough, maybe they'd go that route, but DeMar reportedly already turned down 2/80 from the Bulls, so he's not going to be a "cheap" option. He's also discussed pretty openly in the pats about wanting the most money on his deals. You would probably have to pay DeMar close to as much money as Zach over the same years to get him. In that scenario, if I'm Philly and I can just do a straight Zach into cap space swap, I'd take that.

If I'm the Bulls, I'd also rather have Zach than DeMar at the same price, though perhaps the personal relationships there are beyond repair.

Paying for this team is moronic
:banghead:
burlydee
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#191 » by burlydee » Fri May 3, 2024 5:52 pm

Zach Lavine has never been reliable for any competitive NBA team. There is no way he has more value than Demar to any team that wants to win. They do different things. What Demar does I'd more valuable, reliable and harder to replicate.
Red8911
RealGM

Post#192 » by Red8911 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:21 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
Red8911 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
Are they?

Salaries do not need to match at all because Philly is a cap space team. That's why this will be so desirable to Chicago, presumably, because they've got luxury tax issues if they try to run it back.

So, the most likely scenario here is that you pick a player from Philly that is expiring (Hield, Mo Bambi, Oubre, whatever), do a S&T with that player, throw in draft capital, and call it a day.

Since Philly has so much space Zach will probably be option D for them but even if they do want him would their draft capital and a player like let’s say Hield or Harris be enough ? I’m sure the Bulls can find something better than that. Hopefully.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach

Post#193 » by jnrjr79 » Fri May 3, 2024 8:00 pm

Red8911 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
Red8911 wrote:

Since Philly has so much space Zach will probably be option D for them but even if they do want him would their draft capital and a player like let’s say Hield or Harris be enough ? I’m sure the Bulls can find something better than that. Hopefully.

The Bulls *might* be able to do better than, say, Hield and a 1st in pure return terms, but that's ignoring the fact that the Bulls are going to be highly motivated to avoid their inevitable luxury tax problem if they keep DDR and Pat Williams. So, I assume trading Zach to a team with cap space that can give them relief is going to be highly appealing vs. trading to a team where you have to salary match. Just my guess.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,810

Post#194 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri May 3, 2024 9:20 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:I think Paul George to the Sixers is fait accompli.

But failing that? I imagine they’ll target DeMar despite the imperfect fit. Compounding Embiid’s injury and steadiness issues with Zach’s seems like a complete non-starter.

Why would George leave Los Angeles? It’s not like Ballmer won’t pay him. Gotta remember he is home.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#195 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri May 3, 2024 9:22 pm

Red8911 wrote:

Darn you Billy D!!!!!

Players being injured isn’t robbery. He didn’t pull a Ben Simmons.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#196 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri May 3, 2024 9:24 pm

Red8911 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

Are they?

Salaries don’t need to match at all. Philly could completely absorb his contract. They have an insane amount of cap space this offseason.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,528

Post#197 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri May 3, 2024 9:28 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:

But failing that? I imagine they’ll target DeMar despite the imperfect fit. Compounding Embiid’s injury and steadiness issues with Zach’s seems like a complete non-starter.

Why would George leave Los Angeles? It’s not like Ballmer won’t pay him. Gotta remember he is home.

He leaves because that team is broken and they don’t have a way to meaningfully upgrade it. This is a comically weak FA class and their picks are leveraged through 2029.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Bulliever2020
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,997

Post#198 » by Bulliever2020 » Fri May 3, 2024 9:45 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

He leaves because that team is broken and they don’t have a way to meaningfully upgrade it. This is a comically weak FA class and their picks are leveraged through 2029.

He's going to leave his home AND take less money? I don't see that happening. Secure the bag and ask for a trade later if you're not happy. That's how it's done these days for better or for worse.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#199 » by DuckIII » Fri May 3, 2024 10:00 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:

He's home and if that matters most to him then he'll stay. But this is his last chance to compete for a title before he ages out into a an old ring chaser. And he might be totally fine with being an old ring chaser. Lots of greats without rings went out like that. I happen to think he wants a ring as a key player to cement his legacy. If I'm right, going to Philly is the logical move and he's a perfect fit for them.

I've seen some say why trade playing with an always injured Kawhi for playing with an always injured Embiid. Two reasons: (a) Maxey; and (b) Eastern Conference. George and Maxey can carry an Embiid-less 76ers team to the ECF. Point being, it could survive and advance to at least some degree without Embiid while buying time for his return if he's got one of his frequent short term injuries. I'm not saying they'd be favored to do that, but they certainly could do that and it would not be a shock at all.

The Clippers? George cannot do that in the Western Conference if Kawhi can't play. They have a nice roster out there, but they don't have a Maxey. And Minny, Denver and OKC are all clearly better now and will only keep getting better. And before PG's next deal is up Wemby and the Spurs gonna be a problem too.

We'll see. He's gonna get the money and years either way because both teams desperately need him. So is it sweet-home-LA or is it all about the ring? If its all about the ring, Philly is clearly the better spot.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,879

Post#200 » by dougthonus » Fri May 3, 2024 10:30 pm

DuckIII wrote:God bless you and Doug for trying to make me feel better, but I’m of the mind that capspace is for Paul George. Philly fans want blood and a big name. No way Morey actually targets Lavine. Zach will be their version of Kentucky signing Mark Pope. Might be the perfect signing, but not one real high on the list of options.

I agree that it's likely George is their #1 option.

That said, here me out:
LAC can pay George more.
LAC may very well pay him more.
George probably would prefer to live in LAC and make more money.

I'm not saying George to Philly can't happen, it clearly can. However, it's definitely no where near a lock and boy do the options thin out REAL fast after that.

Even if they do go the trade route, it's not hard to envision them targeting someone with picks vs trying to buy cheap on LaVine. If I were Philly, and I could get LaVine by absorbing him into cap room and paying nothing else, I would view it as a reasonable option though. I don't know that I'd be in "give up 4 1sts" for a guy phase with Embiid right now.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls