Image ImageImage Image

2024 NBA Draft - DA BULLS Edition Pick #11

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,291

Re: 2024 NBA Draft - DA BULLS Edition 

Post#161 » by Dan Z » Sun May 5, 2024 10:26 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Repeat 3-peat wrote:Finally got around to the tankathon simulator as we are a week away from the lottery. Bulls got 3rd and 4th by the sixth sim, 10 total. Drafting Reed Sheppard twice.

Reed was such an efficient player his freshman year. Plus posting a BPM of 11.4, elite stuff.

Which is why he’s not currently expected to be available when we pick. But things will change a ton between now and then.

If somehow the Bulls are able to get Reed Sheppard then what happens to the guard rotation (not that it needs to be figured out right away)?
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,777

Post#162 » by DuckIII » Sun May 5, 2024 10:32 pm

Dan Z wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Repeat 3-peat wrote:Finally got around to the tankathon simulator as we are a week away from the lottery. Bulls got 3rd and 4th by the sixth sim, 10 total. Drafting Reed Sheppard twice.

Reed was such an efficient player his freshman year. Plus posting a BPM of 11.4, elite stuff.

Which is why he’s not currently expected to be available when we pick. But things will change a ton between now and then.

If somehow the Bulls are able to get Reed Sheppard then what happens to the guard rotation (not that it needs to be figured out right away)?

It’s a good question but I don’t care what the answer is. If one of the better talents slides, take him. If not, draft more for need since we’re trying to “stay competitive.”

We’ll see, but right now I’m placing my bet on the Bulls trading out for a veteran. Because that’s how stupid we are.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#163 » by Dan Z » Sun May 5, 2024 10:36 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

It’s a good question but I don’t care what the answer is. If one of the better talents slides, take him. If not, draft more for need since we’re trying to “stay competitive.”

We’ll see, but right now I’m placing my bet on the Bulls trading out for a veteran. Because that’s how stupid we are.

That would be terrible. I hope you're wrong about that. My prediction is that they pick a center (instead of BPA) and let Drummond walk.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#164 » by DuckIII » Sun May 5, 2024 10:43 pm

Dan Z wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

That would be terrible. I hope you're wrong about that. My prediction is that they pick a center (instead of BPA) and let Drummond walk.

Or trade the pick for a veteran center to let Drummond walk.

Please, DDR, leave the Bulls for a contender. It would be your final clutch move for the franchise.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,197

Post#165 » by League Circles » Sun May 5, 2024 11:18 pm

How would people feel about the possibility of our pick (likely #11) not being in the rotation next year? Like, would that upset you?

On a team this mediocre without much really young good talent, I think I would be. I'm not saying whoever we draft should be given an entitlement rotation role, nor that we should draft for need. But I am saying we should make it a priority that whoever that is gets a good shot at a rotation role, which is another reason we need to try to approach the FA period and the draft having already decreased our rotation lock guys at the 1-2-3 spots.

I like to presume that we'll get boxed into a decision to have to pay Demar and/or Patrick a bit more than we want to avoid losing then for nothing, which we'll likely avoid. So with those 2 assumed in the fold, we have 6 guys already at the 1-3 spots in Patrick, Demar, Caruso, Zach, Ayo and Coby. That means if BPA at #11 is a 1, 2 or 3, we're already putting ourselves in a poor asset-management position if we need to draft a 3rd stringer at #11. Only really good teams should/could have the luxury of waiting to see what a #11 can do. I'm just talking a consistent 10-20 mpg role.

And I didn't mention Ball or Carter. But Ball stands a pretty good chance of at least giving it a try. Carter has a bad contract that will become highly negative if he's indefinitely benched.

So how do you guys feel about the prospect of seeing a #11 pick rot in a 3rd string role next season? Problem or not.

Zach, Caruso, Coby or Ayo simply gotta go in a deal before the draft.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
chitowndish
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#166 » by chitowndish » Mon May 6, 2024 12:52 am

Almost Retired wrote:
I mentioned Filipowski a while back. Not that I think he'll be a star, but I think he'd make a solid starter with some height. We have too many guys between 6'4" and 6'7". Too many tweeners with questionable shooting abilities.

I like him he has an effective skillset. He reminds me a bit of Vuc which may be what hurts him but the difference is Filipowski can defend in space and put the ball on the floor he's like a modern version of Vuc. He'd fit in well with our young guys age wise and we need size and he has good ability for his size. I think he has a good floor he seems like he can be a solid contributor as a big probably not a star but like you say a good player and at this point in this draft IMO getting a solid starter PF/C is a great result.
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#167 » by Dan Z » Mon May 6, 2024 1:10 am

League Circles wrote:How would people feel about the possibility of our pick (likely #11) not being in the rotation next year? Like, would that upset you?

On a team this mediocre without much really young good talent, I think I would be. I'm not saying whoever we draft should be given an entitlement rotation role, nor that we should draft for need. But I am saying we should make it a priority that whoever that is gets a good shot at a rotation role, which is another reason we need to try to approach the FA period and the draft having already decreased our rotation lock guys at the 1-2-3 spots.

I like to presume that we'll get boxed into a decision to have to pay Demar and/or Patrick a bit more than we want to avoid losing then for nothing, which we'll likely avoid. So with those 2 assumed in the fold, we have 6 guys already at the 1-3 spots in Patrick, Demar, Caruso, Zach, Ayo and Coby. That means if BPA at #11 is a 1, 2 or 3, we're already putting ourselves in a poor asset-management position if we need to draft a 3rd stringer at #11. Only really good teams should/could have the luxury of waiting to see what a #11 can do. I'm just talking a consistent 10-20 mpg role.

And I didn't mention Ball or Carter. But Ball stands a pretty good chance of at least giving it a try. Carter has a bad contract that will become highly negative if he's indefinitely benched.

So how do you guys feel about the prospect of seeing a #11 pick rot in a 3rd string role next season? Problem or not.

I'd be ok with that as long as the player they draft shows potential (more than Terry/Phillps). If he looks like someone who can be a future starter (maybe more) then thats good for #11.

I'm also someone who would like them to pick Dalton Knecht if he's available, so take my two cents for whatever its worth.

I definitely don't want them to draft another guy who spends most of his time in the G League and looks like he might not even be an NBA player for very long (I guess Denzel is an example).
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#168 » by DuckIII » Mon May 6, 2024 3:17 am

League Circles wrote:How would people feel about the possibility of our pick (likely #11) not being in the rotation next year? Like, would that upset you?

It would depend on the player and the reason.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,838

Post#169 » by Jcool0 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:20 pm

DuckIII wrote:

I assume he is thinking about another Dalen Terry situation.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#170 » by League Circles » Mon May 6, 2024 12:40 pm

DuckIII wrote:

Assume it's just due to drafting a BPA at #11 that happens to be a 1, 2, or 3 positionally while simultaneously not moving enough existing quality guys at those spots to open up a legit non-entitlement role. This could be the case even if we let Demar walk for example. It's very plausible that Billy (and us as fans) look at the 1-3 positions and don't see #11 as being worthy of unseating any of Coby, Ayo, Zach, Caruso or Patrick.

That's why I want to make sure we trade at least one of these guys before/at the draft ideally or at least definitely before FA.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#171 » by League Circles » Mon May 6, 2024 12:41 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

No, I'm thinking of a better prospect than him for sure. God I hope we get someone better than Terry at #11. Terry always felt like a second round talent.
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#172 » by Jcool0 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:58 pm

League Circles wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

No, I'm thinking of a better prospect than him for sure. God I hope we get someone better than Terry at #11. Terry always felt like a second round talent.

I would agree he did scream 2nd round pick. But they also never really played him so maybe the Bulls weren't interested in trying to develop a rookie. Maybe after this season that has changed? But despite being a successful college coach Billy doesn't strike me as a lets see what the rookie can do kind of coach.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 609

Post#173 » by Almost Retired » Mon May 6, 2024 1:43 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
League Circles wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:

I would agree he did scream 2nd round pick. But they also never really played him so maybe the Bulls weren't interested in trying to develop a rookie. Maybe after this season that has changed? But despite being a successful college coach Billy doesn't strike me as a lets see what the rookie can do kind of coach.

He was one of those "hustle" type guys that could defend well at the college level but had no translatable offensive game. By the age of 20 you can either shoot or not. I think there are more examples of great college offensive players that eventually learned to be better than average defenders then they have been great defensive players who later effectively added an offensive game (Jimmy Butler being one of the few). If it were in the NFL a Dalen Terry level of player would be a special teams contributor at best.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,491

Post#174 » by jnrjr79 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:18 pm

It's reportedly a weak draft. Assuming the Bulls don't move up, I have zero expectation that whoever they draft will meaningfully contribute in year 1.
CROBulls
Junior
And1: 163

Post#175 » by CROBulls » Mon May 6, 2024 3:32 pm

Very very much. Because we have no talent on our roster.
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#176 » by Jcool0 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:16 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:

It's reportedly a weak draft. Assuming the Bulls don't move up, I have zero expectation that whoever they draft will meaningfully contribute in year 1.

Usually an All Star talent falls in these kind of drafts. One of the super talented but flawed guys like Ron Holland that early on was in the running for the #1 pick but now seems to be in the 10-12 range. Now is AK able to find that guy... i have my doubts.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#177 » by DuckIII » Mon May 6, 2024 7:24 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Oh, you mean if we reach for a raw and redundant second round player with a questionable floor and extremely limited ceiling in skills and athleticism while passing on significantly better talents who fill glaring holes on the roster for a team that keeps trying to “win now” and then it turns out the drafted player will only get minutes when the mediocre players ahead of him are devastated by injuries?

Yeah, that would bother me.
2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#178 » by 2weekswithpay » Mon May 6, 2024 7:55 pm

League Circles wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Assume it's just due to drafting a BPA at #11 that happens to be a 1, 2, or 3 positionally while simultaneously not moving enough existing quality guys at those spots to open up a legit non-entitlement role. This could be the case even if we let Demar walk for example. It's very plausible that Billy (and us as fans) look at the 1-3 positions and don't see #11 as being worthy of unseating any of Coby, Ayo, Zach, Caruso or Patrick.

That's why I want to make sure we trade at least one of these guys before/at the draft ideally or at least definitely before FA.

So either Ron Holland, Knecht, Cody Williams, or Collier. Knowing what all 3 prospects bring they should be in the rotation if we draft them. So yes I'd be upset if they were out of the rotation.
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#179 » by Jcool0 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:01 pm

Above the rim athletes with questionable shooting coming out.

Anthony Edwards at Georgia (32 games) 6'4" 225: 19.1 pgg on 40/29/77. 5.2 rebounds and 2.8 assists. 247 Sports #1 high school prospect

Ron Holland in G-League (15 games) 6'8" 205: 20.6 ppg on 44/24/75. 6.6 rebounds and 3.2 assists. 247 Sports #1 high school prospect
Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 660

Post#180 » by Rose2Boozer » Tue May 7, 2024 3:18 pm

It'll be interesting to see how well Holland measurements out. I have a feeling he'll be a tad over 6'6 in shoes.
ROLES & HOLES

Return to Chicago Bulls