Image ImageImage Image

OT: College FB/ Bowl Game thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

OT: College FB/ Bowl Game thread 

Post#1 » by Ben » Tue Jan 1, 2008 8:16 pm

Lots of great action. Although it's now old news, I salute Howard Schnellenberger and Florida Atlantic on their bowl game victory. Schnellenberger is a neat story, having coached one of the greatest upsets in Bowl history (Miami over Nebraska in the early 80s), turned the Louisville football program around, but still wound up out of football and selling bonds in the late 90s. Now he's coached FAU to a bowl victory. Very cool.

I don't expect my Michigan Wolverines to beat Florida but as of right now they're actually playing with the #9 team in the country-- and darn, Tebow is actually very good. Once again, I get an opportunity to rail against the Bowl system that frequently puts one team in a home-team advantage over the other. Florida's essentially playing a home game they're getting home team reffing as well. Michigan just had a touchdown reversed and put on the 1 yard line, but there was no good video evidence to reverse it. This has been going on all day. But at least we finally got rid of Lloyd Carr and replaced him with Rich Rodriguez, so I hope that within a couple of years we can actually compete with OSU again.

Ah, UM scored from the 1. So now they're winning. I still don't expect them to pull it out, b/c Florida is quite good and UM isn't all that terrific-- and it's a home game for Florida-- but I'm cool with Rodriguez going forward.

Big 10 monitor (since I'm a big Big 10 fan): 2-3 right now.

Wisconsin loses a tough game to Tennessee. Cr*p.

Michigan State (formerly 6-6) almost beats a much more highly regarded Boston College team (formerly 10-3).

Indiana plays close with OK St. but loses.

Purdue beats Central Michigan in a great game (51-48). Anyone see it?

Penn State beats Texas A&M. Go Joe PA!

Pac 10 monitor (since I hate the Pac 10, my best friend from grad school being a huge Pac 10 homer): 3-2 right now.
But they haven't looked very good. Best performance has come from Oregon, a team that was great before their starting QB went down for the year, stomping the (formerly) ridiculously overraged USF Bulls. Cal narrowly beat Air Force, UCLA lost to BYU, a ridiculously overrated ASU team got creamed by Texas, and Oregon State beat a 6-6 Maryland team that shouldn't have been in a bowl.

Thoughts on the bowl season (other than that we should have a 4 or 8 team playoff)???
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#2 » by DJhitek » Tue Jan 1, 2008 8:30 pm

Stupid Wisconsin, I had so much faith in them beating Tenn. who has a terrible run defense...They have cost me a higher prediction rate on Bowl Mania.

That said, Mich-FLA is pissing me off as well as I had Florida winning. Not to mention Cal coming back and ruining my upset pick of Air Force. At least Mizzou whooped Ark like I figured.
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#3 » by Posey H8er » Tue Jan 1, 2008 8:33 pm

I am rooting for Michigan and the Big Ten in general. I can't wait for the Rose Bowl, everyone is throwing the Illini under the bus. I wouldn't be surprised if they shocked the Trojans.
House
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by House » Tue Jan 1, 2008 8:43 pm

Sad day for michigan football. its really a shame to see a guy like lloyd run out of town. i was hoping he would stay there for the next decade.
House
Banned User

Post#5 » by House » Tue Jan 1, 2008 8:55 pm

Fumble!
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Ben » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:03 pm

House wrote:Sad day for michigan football. its really a shame to see a guy like lloyd run out of town. i was hoping he would stay there for the next decade.

Yeah, I can see a Notre Dame fan saying that! :lol:

We Michigan fans would've liked to have seen him go several years ago.
House
Banned User

Post#7 » by House » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:05 pm

Florida comes back to tie after the fumble mu would have been up by two touch downs. we will miss you lloyd!
NLK
Head Coach
And1: 9
Location: CHICAGO is a big market with many Rings! Eat S#%T New York!

Post#8 » by NLK » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:33 pm

bad turnover by Henne!

As far as the BEARS prospects go, I like Jake Long to be one of our OL draftees. I doubt that'll happen.
-NLK: Offending Djiboutians since November 2007
"You don't truly know someone, until you fight them."
"To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very essence that makes us human."
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Ben » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:33 pm

Unbelievable. Stupid, m'f'ing turnovers. Michigan could be so comfortably out in front right now... :banghead:

No way we hold their offense for the rest of the game.
NLK
Head Coach

Post#10 » by NLK » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:34 pm

Agreed Ben B. I thought the way Henne, Hart, and Manningham were playing, up 3 with the ball, they were ready to put down the gauntlet on the game.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Ben » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:36 pm

And there you have it. TD Florida. Barring something very unexpected from a Lloyd Carr team that could be the final score. :cry:
House
Banned User

Post#12 » by House » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:38 pm

Michigan implodes again. interception results in a florida td. also they had that illegal block called on them when hart was running it down floridas throat in the red zone. luckily they still got a field goal.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#13 » by magicfan4life05 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:38 pm

is tebow expected to go to the nfl next year, if so where is he projected to go?
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Ben » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:42 pm

For anyone else who saw that last pass:

The refs should penalize the Florida coverage man even though the UM guy caught the ball. The Gator was draped all over him, playing the receiver and not the ball, and the receiver caught it with 1 hand in spite of the guy but had to go out of bounds.

Oh well, 2 plays later comes a TD pass anyway, so forget about it. ;-)
NLK
Head Coach

Post#15 » by NLK » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:42 pm

Adrian Arrington, pulling a Jerry Rice-ish catch, and then the strike by Henne to Arrington!

May we say Arrington might be making a name for himself in the NFL draft anyone????
House
Banned User

Post#16 » by House » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:44 pm

the team that has the ball last wins this game.
House
Banned User

Post#17 » by House » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:48 pm

Michigan wins.
NLK
Head Coach

Post#18 » by NLK » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:48 pm

Michigan still needs to put points on the board, because a FG is not safe, esp. with their defense.
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,601

Post#19 » by BigUps » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:50 pm

I hope the Bears target Henne in the 2nd.
House
Banned User

Post#20 » by House » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:51 pm

Jake long in the first.

Return to Chicago Bulls