Image ImageImage Image

OT: College FB/ Bowl Game thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

mr.ankle
Banned User
And1: 57

Post#121 » by mr.ankle » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:06 am

How did Illinois make it to a Bcs Bowl Game .
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,601

Post#122 » by BigUps » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:09 am

Turnovers killed U of I. I don't feel that the score was indicative of the game. I felt it was much closer until the 2 turnovers in the 3rd in the red zone.

U of I is young. They looked like deer in headlights to start the game, as did the coaching staff. Really poorly coached game by Ill.
House
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#123 » by House » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:19 am

Thats zook for you. the players he recruited at florida won it all, after he left.
House
Banned User

Post#124 » by House » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:23 am

Why does number two for georgia have numbers written all over his arms with a marker?
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#125 » by Posey H8er » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:44 am

mr.ankle wrote:How did Illinois make it to a Bcs Bowl Game .

9-3
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#126 » by Polynice4Pippen » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:22 am

Colt Brennan might die tonight. Hawaii's O-Line just getting dominated.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#127 » by girlygirl » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:41 am

Hawaii getting absolutely DESTROYED, showing that they probably were more a product of a weak schedule than a team that deserves to be in a BCS bowl

Most impressive today:

Missouri
Georgia
USC

Honorable mention - Texas Tech and Michigan

Least impressive:

Illinois
Arkansas
Hawaii
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#128 » by Ben » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:41 am

Hawaii outclassed completely. I don't know everything about college football, but I know this much and have been saying it all year: Hawaii football (and basketball too, for that matter) has the single biggest home field advantage of any team in college sports. Their record must always be viewed with that in mind. Teams go to Hawaii and get overwhelmed, both with the difficulty/length of the trip and with the beauty of the surroundings, and Hawaii itself does very well. But when they've got to travel and/or play a game on someone else's home turf, look out.
They never should have been in the Sugar Bowl; they played an outrageously easy schedule. But of course their undefeated record (and Boise State's recent victory over Oklahoma) compelled the voters to install them. Nonetheless, Missouri would have been a MUCH better matchup for Georgia.

Hoo boy. Another turnover for Hawaii. This is starting to get not only embarrassing but scary. How will they play for a whole 'nother quarter?
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#129 » by Posey H8er » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:02 am

Even though the Illini got completely destroyed tonight, I believe this has to do mostly with the product of the Trojans being the best team in the country. The homer announcers kept repeating this, and saying this is the best they have played all year with all of their players finally healthy.

This would look like less of a blowout if Illinois limited their turnovers and converted on critical possessions like the red zone possession after the interception. That ended up being a missed field goal.

Anyways, Illinois will be very strong next year with or without the return of Mendenhall, who would be a top Heisman candidate if he were to return.
HINrichPolice
General Manager
And1: 1,706

Post#130 » by HINrichPolice » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:14 am

treyZz wrote:I still do not know what was more impressive.. McKnight picking the ball up and running for 65 or Vontae closing in on him from so far away.

Incredible play all around.. And yes, the game is over.

I'm not the most knowledgable football fan, but why wasn't that an incomplete pass? I was livid.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#131 » by Polynice4Pippen » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:21 am

And Brennan finally gets knocked out the game. It was really just a matter of time. Just get healed up for the combine, Colt.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
The 6ft Hurdle
Lead Assistant
And1: 493

Post#132 » by The 6ft Hurdle » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:31 am

I'm glad to see Lloyd Carr and the Wolverines go out on a win.

Illini were just way overmatched, but could've made it closer. I thought they could've done so much more with such a mobile quarterback...that's how USC got beat last time in a bowl game. Illini became too predictable and conservative.

I want to like Pete Carroll, I wish he was the Bruins' head football coach. Instead we get slick Rick Neuheisel.
TLDR: Current Pulse Readings (9/2/22)
Bulls: :pray:
UCLA Basketball: :dontknow:
UCLA Football: Chip Kelly magic time
Cubs: Uh, 2016
Blackhawks: Uh, 2015
Bears: Poor Justin Fields
FC Barcelona: Economic levers :dontknow: :cheesygrin:
treyZz
Banned User

Post#133 » by treyZz » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:47 am

HINrichPolice wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm not the most knowledgable football fan, but why wasn't that an incomplete pass? I was livid.

It was thrown behind the line of scrimmage. Basically, think of it as a botched handoff.

House - If you think this game had anything to do about coaching you're just ignorant. USC had way too many athletes and played lights out.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,143

Post#134 » by CjayC » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:53 am

Congrats Illini.

They'll be a force next year with new recruits,and more experience.

Also I think I have dubbed a new curse.

"The curse of Jim Belushi"

Everytime his bandwagon self comes to any Illinois based game in the playoffs we lose,and usually we lose big or in a heartbreaker.Thankfully he wasn't at any of the Sox World Series games in 2005.
mr.ankle
Banned User
And1: 57

Post#135 » by mr.ankle » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:22 am

Posey H8er wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

9-3

There were alot of Better teams that deserved that spot over them .
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#136 » by Shill » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:52 am

mr.ankle wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

There were alot of Better teams that deserved that spot over them .

The BCS is a dumb system.

No more than 2 teams from the same conference can go to the BCS (meaning Missouri couldn't go). That means the only other eligible BCS teams were Arizona St, Boston College, and Connecticut.

They were equally weak.
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#137 » by SportsWorld » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:13 am

The BCS is stupid in the first place. Missouri should be in the Orange Bowl over Kansas.
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#138 » by DJhitek » Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:50 pm

Illini caught a few bad bounces and breaks, they were a little star-struck to begin the game but held their own until that fumble near the ten yard line. USC is really one of, if not the most talented team in the country. Nothing for Illinios to be ashamed of, they had a great season.
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#139 » by DJhitek » Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:54 pm

mr.ankle wrote:How did Illinois make it to a Bcs Bowl Game .

Same could be said for Hawaii and Kansas. It's a flawed system, any team can lose at anytime. I bet 90 percent of the country thought Boise State would have ran all over ECU.

That said what did you want, OSU playing USC in the Rose Bowl and someone else playing for the national title? You get flawed match-ups with a flawed system.

EDIT:Mendenhall is an absolute stud, kid has great hands, quickness and power to run inside and the speed to break the long run. If I'm the Bears I draft this kid ASAP if they have the chance!!!
House
Banned User

Post#140 » by House » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:15 pm

treyZz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It was thrown behind the line of scrimmage. Basically, think of it as a botched handoff.

House - If you think this game had anything to do about coaching you're just ignorant. USC had way too many athletes and played lights out.

Come on, are you serious? The offensive play calling in the first half was attrocious!! Of course USC had way better athelete, they are USC. Illinois put up a valiant fight, and could have made this a close game with better first half play calling, and a few breaks.

Return to Chicago Bulls