Image ImageImage Image

OT: College FB/ Bowl Game thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,143

Post#141 » by CjayC » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:23 pm

I hope they draft Mendenhall as well.Dude just toughs,and you can see how hard he tries.

He isn't running behind world beaters either,unlike Benson who since his days at Midland Lee has been running behind NFL players
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,144

Post#142 » by molepharmer » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:56 pm

girlygirl wrote:Hawaii getting absolutely DESTROYED, showing that they probably were more a product of a weak schedule than a team that deserves to be in a BCS bowl

Most impressive today:

Missouri
Georgia
USC....

Being a Missouri alum it was good see. Unfortunately anybody turning in to watch MU and their vaunted pass attack led by Chase Daniel (or even a McFadden showcase) was sorely disappointed. Tony Temple, second most rushing yards in (any) bowl history (281 yds). :clap:
House
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#143 » by House » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:39 am

big guy for west virginia with a huge run. the guy on tv says hes a run away beer truck lol
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#144 » by DJhitek » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:06 am

If West Virginia played half this good against Pitt they would be in the national title game. Oklahoma lost all the momentum it had from it's late season play.
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#145 » by girlygirl » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:22 am

SportsWorld wrote:The BCS is stupid in the first place. Missouri should be in the Orange Bowl over Kansas.

Hey! Don't rip on my Jayhawks -- 11-1, 2nd in the nation in scoring, 5th in the nation in scoring defense. They deserve their bid

The BCS has a STUPID rule that limits each conference to no more than 2 bids. The Big 12 should have gotten THREE bids -- Missouri over Illinois (who the Tigers ALSO beat this season) -- a 3-loss Illini team that had no business being in a BCS bowl
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#146 » by girlygirl » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:24 am

Wasn't Oklahoma supposed to make up for losing to Boise State last year? Maybe they should just stay away from the Fiesta Bowl -- because they aren't looking very good tonight

PS - That was an interesting piece on the 1951 San Francisco Dons -- but it wasn't very in-depth.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#147 » by SportsWorld » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:56 am

girlygirl wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Hey! Don't rip on my Jayhawks -- 11-1, 2nd in the nation in scoring, 5th in the nation in scoring defense. They deserve their bid
l

Missouri beat the Jayhawks didn't they? The Jayhawks also had an incredibly easy schedule. The BCS penalized Virginia Tech for losing to LSU. Va Tech should be in the National Championship over LSU but they put that into account. Why be hypocrites?
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#148 » by SportsWorld » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:57 am

And another great Fiesta Bowl as always but why would Oklahoma kick the onside kick in the 3rd quarter. Stupid call.
IlliniNRG
Rookie

Post#149 » by IlliniNRG » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:00 am

Just got back from the Rose Bowl.

Ugh.

USC was more talented, but damn did they catch EVERY break, and damn did Illinois make too many mistakes. After that fumble, weird broken play 'backward pass' and pass interference call, we were done. It's a pretty young team still, and in that type of a game they just can't survive that kind of a turn.

Illinois would have had a chance if they had the mental edge, like I had hoped. The intangibles turned completely the other way...it was 28-10 when Illinois threw in the towel, and USC kept their foot on the gas. It was a decisive victory, but by no means a blowout.

In a few years Illinois will have comparable talent, and hopefully they'll get another chance in a big bowl game.

Assuming he leaves, Mendenhall will be a stud on Sundays. He may have been the best player on either team yesterday.

Go Illini!
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#150 » by SportsWorld » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:19 am

Big TD for Oklahoma!
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#151 » by SportsWorld » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:24 am

And Pat White comes back with a TD. Wow.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#152 » by Polynice4Pippen » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:28 am

Vaskergian quoting Eddie Murphy "Delirious". Wow, how good is that?
:bowdown:
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#153 » by Polynice4Pippen » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:54 am

Jim Ross? Where's Jerry the King Lawler?
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#154 » by SportsWorld » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:56 am

Wow did you just see that catch? Dude caught it with his legs and brought it in. Challenging it right now.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#155 » by Ben » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:41 am

Polynice4Pippen wrote:Vaskergian quoting Eddie Murphy "Delirious". Wow, how good is that?
:bowdown:

Ha ha, that was exactly my response. Hurray for us old guys!!! :lol:

Sportsworld, I could have told you not to diss Kansas until they lose to Va Tech, or girlygirl will take to the warpath. ;-) If the Jayhawks do manage to beat Va Tech I will offer her my props, but to my eyes this season the Big 12 has looked average throughout. And the Jayhawks' division has looked worse than that. Again, if Kansas joins Mizzou as bowl winners they'll look better than I would have expected, but if not then even girlygirl will have to concede something. (Having to concede it and actually doing it are often 2 different things... ;-) )
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#156 » by Shill » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:56 am

SportsWorld wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Missouri beat the Jayhawks didn't they? The Jayhawks also had an incredibly easy schedule. The BCS penalized Virginia Tech for losing to LSU. Va Tech should be in the National Championship over LSU but they put that into account. Why be hypocrites?

The difference is Missouri lost 2 games and Kansas lost 1.

The BCS should've been imploded if VTech got in over LSU after LSU destroyed them 48-7 (it should be imploded anyway).

I watched every minute of that game. VTech was vastly inferior on both sides of the ball.

Both Mizzou and Kansas deserved to be in, but the BCS guidelines are moronic.
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#157 » by girlygirl » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:10 am

Ben B. wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ha ha, that was exactly my response. Hurray for us old guys!!! :lol:

Sportsworld, I could have told you not to diss Kansas until they lose to Va Tech, or girlygirl will take to the warpath. ;-) If the Jayhawks do manage to beat Va Tech I will offer her my props, but to my eyes this season the Big 12 has looked average throughout. And the Jayhawks' division has looked worse than that. Again, if Kansas joins Mizzou as bowl winners they'll look better than I would have expected, but if not then even girlygirl will have to concede something. (Having to concede it and actually doing it are often 2 different things... ;-) )

If KU loses badly to Va Tech, then I'll have to concede that its record had to do in large part with the schedule (much like Hawaii, which proved in the Sugar Bowl they were very overrated). I don't expect the Jayhawks to lose badly however. I don't know for sure that they'll win, but I expect the Orange Bowl to be very competitive.

As for the Big 12 Conference as a whole, Oklahoma is the only one of the the TOP teams in the league (OU, Missouri, KU, Texas, Texas Tech) to lose its bowl game. Texas clobbered Arizona State in its bowl game, Missouri clobbered Arkansas and Texas Tech came back from 14 points down against Virginia to win its bowl game.

But what I want to know is...have you even seen KU play this year?

KU's starting QB, Todd Reesing, had 32 TD passes and just 6 INT

KU had TWO RBs run for more than 750 yards, and they combined for 23 rushing TD

KU had FOUR players catch at least 40 passes, and FIVE had at least 4 TD catches

KU had a turnover margin of + 19 (KU had 13 turnovers, opponents had 32)

In 12 games, KU got called for just 48 penalties -- tied for FEWEST in the nation.

So, if the Jayhawks are able to play the way they usually do -- that is, without turning the ball over and not committing a bunch of penalties, I see no reason why they can't win this game. As I say, I can't say for sure if they will, but I'm pretty confident that they will play a good game.

KU outscored its opponents by 340 (!!!) points --- 532 to 192. Even playing a weak schedule, that's pretty hard to do.

But if they get manhandled, I'm perfectly willing to accept that and say that on this thread. (I won't like it, but I'd do it)
Shill
RealGM

Post#158 » by Shill » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:32 am

Virginia Tech's suspect offense might keep the game close.

Don't expect a track meet. Kansas hasn't seen a defense anywhere near Tech.
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,144

Post#159 » by molepharmer » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:10 pm

The Oklahoma team that beat Missouri in the Big 12 Championship wasn't the same team that played last night. Against MU they played, arguably, their best game of the season. Last night , not so much.

As much as I agree with others than Kansas played a soft schedule, I was impressed with them in their losing effort to MU. It wouldn't surprise me if they beat Va Tech by three touchdowns.
Shill
RealGM

Post#160 » by Shill » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:00 pm

molepharmer wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if they beat Va Tech by three touchdowns.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kansas didn't even score 3 TDs.

Return to Chicago Bulls