Image ImageImage Image

Should we trade Deng?

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

BuLLs>LiFe
Sixth Man
And1: 76

Should we trade Deng? 

Post#1 » by BuLLs>LiFe » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:26 pm

Well, I wrote a really long post that ended up not going through so I have to rewrite this so I'll just sum it up real quick.

Deng seems to disappear late in games. It was painfully obvious yesterday against the Magic. When he did finally get a chance to do something with the ball he lost it to a horrible defender in Turkoglu. To be honest, I expected much more out of Deng by now. The more and more I see of Deng, although I like his game, I don't see him being more than a number 3 option on a championship caliber team. Although, he's still pretty young, the ceiling isn't as high as I originally though it was. With that said, I know there are still people who think Deng can still take that next step, but I just don't see it.

So what should we do with Deng? IMO, I would prefer to trade Deng, because his value is so high throughout the league and try to get a good big man (of course assuming one is available, if not then obviously keep him). Some of you undoubtedly will be against this thinking that he's our best player.

Also, a couple questions I would like to ask of this board -
What does Deng need to do in order to take the next step in his game? Should Boylan run more plays for him in late situations? Is Deng ever going to reach superstar status? Should Deng be available in a trade, more so than guys like Hinrich/Gordon?
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#2 » by Rerisen » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:32 pm

I don't think you can just say 'trade Deng' as a yes/no proposition. It depends what you have in mind. If we can get someone like Gasol for Deng+bench player and filler, then sure.

I have seen some people make the insinuation that paying Ben Gordon 50 million over 5 years would be over paying. Well if that is over paying, then paying Deng 65 million over the same, is equally or moreso over paying. Because neither of these guys appear to have taken the next step from last year, where they were about equally important players to this team.
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#3 » by jax98 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:32 pm

There's not a single player on the Bulls who haven't been disappointing this year. With that said, Deng seems to be back to normal. He's hitting the mid-range shot, rebounding and playing defense. This was his (And 6-7 other guys') first total team meltdown. It'll take some time to adjust, but when it happens Deng will once again prove his worth.

It also boggles my mind why we're interested in trading players who right now are at an all-time low in terms of trading value.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#4 » by Red Larrivee » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:33 pm

Deng can be a really good player, but he won't be a Lebron, Wade, or anyone that. Lack of athleticism and overall on impact dismisses any type of superstar potential. But he has All-Star potential, and he'll be one of the best forwards in the league.

I don't think running plays for Deng in late situations is the answer, because he just doesn't seem comfortable in closer roles and situations. It's just not natural for him, as it is for someone like Gordon. But I would like to see Deng improve on creating his own shot.

I love Deng's game and there's no question he can be a significant part on a championship team, but him being a 1st option is too questionable as he seems to play within the system alot, and can't create his own offense much yet. I would trade him for the right type of player, but I wouldn't just belt him out of Chicago.
BuLLs>LiFe
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by BuLLs>LiFe » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:36 pm

Rerisen wrote:I don't think you can just say 'trade Deng' as a yes/no proposition. It depends what you have in mind. If we can get someone like Gasol for Deng+bench player and filler, then sure.

I have seen some people make the insinuation that paying Ben Gordon 50 million over 5 years would be over paying. Well if that is over paying, then paying Deng 65 million over the same, is equally or moreso over paying. Because neither of these guys appear to have taken the next step from last year, where they were about equally important players to this team.

I agree with everything here. As I said, you don't trade Deng just for the sake of trading him, but of course for someone like Gasol, I think you have to do it. However, there are still some people who would not do this deal with Deng as the centerpiece.
BuLLs>LiFe
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by BuLLs>LiFe » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:38 pm

Morten Jensen wrote:There's not a single player on the Bulls who haven't been disappointing this year. With that said, Deng seems to be back to normal. He's hitting the mid-range shot, rebounding and playing defense. This was his (And 6-7 other guys') first total team meltdown. It'll take some time to adjust, but when it happens Deng will once again prove his worth.

It also boggles my mind why we're interested in trading players who right now are at an all-time low in terms of trading value.

This is one of the reasons why I don't think it makes sense to trade Hinrich/Gordon now or even in the near future. They're much more valuable to us than other teams, and we're almost never going to get good value for them. However, Deng is still pretty highly regarded throughout the league. Any type of Bulls' trade rumors we hear, it seems to be the general consensus for GMs that Deng needs to be a centerpiece to get a good player in return.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Rerisen » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:40 pm

As far as Deng taking the next step.

Deng is shooting 4-9 (.444) on threes this year. It's a small sample size but I would not be averse to seeing Deng expand his game out in this area if he feels he has brought up his ability there. I actually think it is one of the most realistic ways for him to be a larger threat and help this offense out immensely by spacing the floor more to compensate for guys like Duhon and Wallace.

It's not realistic that Deng is going to attain great handles, or even a Carmelo like post game. But he has already shown to be a good shooter with very consistent form. There is no reason he shouldn't be able to push that range and become a more multi dimensional threat.
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Post#8 » by Red Larrivee » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:41 pm

There was a point where alot of people here would trade Deng for Gasol, me being one, but I think that passed. Gasol is a good player, but he's even quieter than Deng, and he is way too un-stable when you put him in any type of leadership role (0-12 in the playoffs).

If it was Deng for someone like Boozer. I'd do it.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Rerisen » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:44 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:There was a point where alot of people here would trade Deng for Gasol, me being one, but I think that passed. Gasol is a good player, but he's even quieter than Deng, and he is way too un-stable when you put him in any type of leadership role (0-12 in the playoffs).

Even so, I think Gasol can affect an offense far more not scoring a ton than Deng. Gasol is a guy you can start the offense with and work around him. Deng is a guy that you finish the offense with, either when he is slashing or when he is wide open through the defense rotating away from him. But if he gets the ball and is not in an immediate position to where the pass would count as an assist, then the ball pretty much dies at him. Nor does he command a double team at that point.

The Gasol playoff thing is so oversold. He got a team with less help than the Bulls have had to 47 and 50 wins in the West. Those teams his Grizzlies faced would have beat the Bulls as well. Dallas, Suns, Spurs. And even if we would have gotten 1 win instead of being swept or something, that is hardly conclusive evidence that our guys are great winners and he is nothing but a loser.
mr.ankle
Banned User
And1: 57

Post#10 » by mr.ankle » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:47 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:There was a point where alot of people here would trade Deng for Gasol, me being one, but I think that passed. Gasol is a good player, but he's even quieter than Deng, and he is way too un-stable when you put him in any type of leadership role (0-12 in the playoffs).

If it was Deng for someone like Boozer. I'd do it.

Why would Utah do that trade ?
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Post#11 » by Red Larrivee » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:48 pm

mr.ankle wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Why would Utah do that trade ?

I was just using it as an example.

Rerisen wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Even so, I think Gasol can affect an offense far more not scoring a ton than Deng. Gasol is a guy you can start the offense with and work around him. Deng is a guy that you finish the offense with, either when he is slashing or when he is wide open through the defense rotating away from him. But if he gets the ball and is not in an immediate position to where the pass would count as an assist, then the ball pretty much dies at him. Nor does he command a double team at that point.

The Gasol playoff thing is so oversold. He got a team with less help than the Bulls have had to 47 and 50 wins in the West. Those teams his Grizzlies faced would have beat the Bulls as well. Dallas, Suns, Spurs. And even if we would have gotten 1 win instead of being swept or something, that is hardly conclusive evidence that our guys are great winners and he is nothing but a loser.

I wouldn't say our guys are great winners, but I just don't think Gasol is good in a leadership role, and we'd probably look to him for that if he came here. He's just too unstable with it. He did a good job of getting them there, but it's just funny that with each team he got there, they amounted to nothing. Not one win. And he was the guy they were loking to. Stat-wise if you look at it, you'd think he had a great series. But he had 0 overall impact, and was quiet as a mouse.

I'd love for Gasol to be on our team, but I really don't think that I'd trade Deng for him anymore.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,792

Post#12 » by DuckIII » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:50 pm

Clearly the question is, for whom? Barring a really impressive answer to that question, no.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#13 » by sonny » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:50 pm

Unless we face Phoenix, Dallas, or SA in the first round like Memphis did, we don't have to worry about going 0-12
newskoolbulls
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#14 » by newskoolbulls » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:52 pm

You know what I hate about Deng, Say he is open at the 3 pt line he takes a dribble or two moves forward for a mid-range jumper which causes the defender to atleast get a hand in his face. Why doesnt he attempt the 3 ball? I dont say he should chuck them up but dont be a pansy and avoid it all together. Plus I am worried that Kirk and Minny gave him their inconsistency bug since he never puts up a solid string of performances anymore. He went from untouchable to he can be had for the right price. I for one will say i was an idiot this summer when I said he was untouchble for Kobe, more of you posters have to come forward and admit that you were wrong as well lol.
AAU Teammate
RealGM
And1: 803

Post#15 » by AAU Teammate » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:04 am

Deng is who Memphis would want. A Deng/Gay/Darko frontline gives them a very varied offensive attack.

However, I dont know that I trade Deng for Gasol right now. Deng is a player who appears to still be getting better in certain areas.

Gasol is, if anything, believed to be falling off, and getting injury prone.

Deng+Smith is getting more done than Gasol (who would replace Smith). We dont have a low post threat out of that, but the talent difference is enough to make us want to look elsewhere for that type of scoring.

I would personally love to move Noc for some sort of low post guy...even if he's middle tier. Getting tired of Noc's game. And SF is our deepest position.
BuLLs>LiFe
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by BuLLs>LiFe » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:07 am

DuckIII wrote:Clearly the question is, for whom? Barring a really impressive answer to that question, no.

Duck, when I started this thread I was actually thinking about something that you wrote in another thread where you said that you still expect Deng to take another step in his game? So specifically I would like your input in what you have seen that makes you think Deng will indeed take that next step.

Also, would a Deng for Gasol deal as the centerpieces be a deal that you would do? If not, what type of players would you be willing to deal Deng. It doesn't even have to be players that are specifically available but what types of players. Is anything less than a superstar not worth trading Deng, etc.?
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Post#17 » by Red Larrivee » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:10 am

I think you do atleast want to get a Superstar out of Deng. That should be the idea of it. Everyone knows this kid is good right now, and will be better.
mr.ankle
Banned User
And1: 57

Post#18 » by mr.ankle » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:15 am

Red Larrivee wrote:I think you do atleast want to get a Superstar out of Deng. That should be the idea of it. Everyone knows this kid is good right now, and will be better.

I think he can be good but not great . I think he will be a Caron Butler type of player . But I do think fans overrrated him in the Kobe Bryant rumors .
BuLLs>LiFe
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by BuLLs>LiFe » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:15 am

Let me ask people this. What does Deng do this year that he does better than last year, and when I say better, I mean something noticeable better. Also, what can Deng do to become better? Someone already mentioned extending his range to 3 point land. I think that's a very realistic option. Improving his one on one skills is another option, but I honestly don't know how realistic that is.
BuLLs>LiFe
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by BuLLs>LiFe » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:17 am

mr.ankle wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think he can be good but not great . I think he will be a Caron Butler type of player .

I think this might have been accurate maybe a year or two ago. The Butler that I saw against us this year was a great playmaker as well as at times flat out unstoppable one on one. These are two things where I really don't think Deng is ever going to be great at, maybe not even good at.

Return to Chicago Bulls