Image ImageImage Image

Boylan: TT should be near the basket, not on the perimeter

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#21 » by Cliff Levingston » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:47 pm

newskoolbulls wrote:We drafted TT to be a PF who is around the basket blocking shots and rebounding and getting some shots around the basket

Actually, Pax drafted Tyrus because he was an elite athlete with great potential. Pax's intention wasn't to pigeon hole him into the Ben Wallace role. If that was his intention then Pax never would've said anything about more PT for the young guys; specifically Tyrus.

newskoolbulls wrote:You will all refute this saying he does not get anytime to show what he has but if he is not getting any time that means he doesnt diserve it and is not working toward improving i practice.

How many times does this have to be definitively proven wrong? Apparently Noah, Gray and Sefolosha all don't deserve big minutes either cause they're not getting nor have they got consistent minutes. But Duhon and his 18% shooting over the last 2 games is doing plenty to deserve 20+ minutes per game... or Nocioni and his wildly inconsistent shooting, propensity to freelance in the offense and uncanny ability to give up wide open jump shots is exactly what the doctor ordered.

C'mon. The "the guys who perform are the ones who'll play" explanation is an obvious crock of sh*t; Boylan even said so. He's going to lean on his veterans right now in effort to get the team turned around and try to work the young guys in later. The current coaching staff has given absolutely no indication that Tyrus' lack of PT is due to him being lazy.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#22 » by kyrv » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:51 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

How many times does this have to be definitively proven wrong? Apparently Noah, Gray and Sefolosha all don't deserve big minutes either cause they're not getting nor have they got consistent minutes. But Duhon and his 18% shooting over the last 2 games is doing plenty to deserve 20+ minutes per game... or Nocioni and his wildly inconsistent shooting, propensity to freelance in the offense and uncanny ability to give up wide open jump shots is exactly what the doctor ordered.

C'mon. The "the guys who perform are the ones who'll play" explanation is an obvious crock of sh*t; Boylan even said so. He's going to lean on his veterans right now in effort to get the team turned around and try to work the young guys in later. The current coaching staff has given absolutely no indication that Tyrus' lack of PT is due to him being lazy.

Lol, so true. Sig worthy. One of those, funny but sad things. :clap: :bowdown:

And Kyrv is clapping at Cliff, not clapping the fact that we have veteran entitlements that would make Skiles blush.
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#23 » by sonny » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:51 pm

newskoolbulls wrote:he has some good games but then goes back to his lazy self.

You think that's related to him starting then being moved to the bench because of the other four starter's play.

I mean it's hard to do much in 3 minutes of play or 24 minutes over 5-6 games.

I mean the last time he got more than 10 minutes he put up 7/9.

The game before that he put up 14/6/2/2/3 including some jumpers that gave us the win.

That was before we started playing the vets because they were vets.

If you noticed he is always the last one up the court

The majority of the time he's the one taking the ball out.

The fact is he is still way immature for this league, Skiles figured this out

By naming him starter at the beginning of the season?

You will all refute this saying he does not get anytime to show what he has but if he is not getting any time that means he doesnt diserve it and is not working toward improving i practice.

So all of our young guys are lazy?

Gray went from getting no tick to getting 15+ for about 4-5 games including some with more than 25mpg. He's played 10 combined the last two, does that mean he started off the season not working hard to busting his butt, and spent the last few practices goofing off?

Tyrus worked hard to be a starter but now since he isn't playing he's some (Please Use More Appropriate Word) that results in a loss if he steps on the court?
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#24 » by Shill » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:52 pm

If Boylan wants Tyrus in the post, then perhaps he should put him in the game first.

If Boylan wants Tyrus in the post, then perhaps shouldn't design the offense to have Tyrus incessantly set high screens.

WTF???

Is Tyrus supposed to camp out in the paint irrespective of our offensive set?
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
BULLHITTER
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#25 » by BULLHITTER » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:52 pm

seems lost in all this tyrus/ben BS is some interesting takes noted by doug collins last night with respect to one of the blazers, young travis outlaw. seems as though when the PBP mentioned him in comparison to thomas, collins noted the 5 YEAR COMMITTMENT the blazers made in the young man and he (after years of being on the bench for a lousy team) is finally showing why they picked him from high school.

with the flashes that thomas has shown, i'm of the opinion that his mistakes would lessen given proper amounts of playing time without the pigeon-holeing, and allow him to adapt his talent to the team to help get to the end result faster; either way, the bulls would be well served to notice that giving up on young players in less than 5 years is a lose-lose proposition. hell, they gave curry and chandler that long.....

i'm hopeful that paxson is wiser than some of the "fast-track to the finals" group here.
Shill
RealGM

Post#26 » by Shill » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:58 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:I don't understand the man crush everybody has for Tyrus.

His potential is exciting. Will he reach it? I don't know, but it's there nonetheless.

You're shocked when people are enthusiastic about a #2 over pick that our GM proclaimed "far and away the best talent in the draft"?
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
Shill
RealGM

Post#27 » by Shill » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:00 pm

BULLHITTER wrote:seems lost in all this tyrus/ben BS is some interesting takes noted by doug collins last night with respect to one of the blazers, young travis outlaw. seems as though when the PBP mentioned him in comparison to thomas, collins noted the 5 YEAR COMMITTMENT the blazers made in the young man and he (after years of being on the bench for a lousy team) is finally showing why they picked him from high school.

with the flashes that thomas has shown, i'm of the opinion that his mistakes would lessen given proper amounts of playing time without the pigeon-holeing, and allow him to adapt his talent to the team to help get to the end result faster; either way, the bulls would be well served to notice that giving up on young players in less than 5 years is a lose-lose proposition. hell, they gave curry and chandler that long.....

i'm hopeful that paxson is wiser than some of the "fast-track to the finals" group here.

That's a very good point.

Outlaw was rawer than raw when he entered the league.

I was amazed at how functional a shooter he has become.
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#28 » by theanimal23 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:03 pm

Shill4Tyrus24 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

His potential is exciting. Will he reach it? I don't know, but it's there nonetheless.

You're shocked when people are enthusiastic about a #2 over pick that our GM proclaimed "far and away the best talent in the draft"?

I feel that a good chunk of this board rather 'develop' and ride Joe Smith than the "#2" pick who could be our starting PF for the next decade.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#29 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:07 pm

kyrv wrote:
We drafted TT to be a PF who is around the basket blocking shots and rebounding and getting some shots around the basket

Paxson never assigned Tyrus a position or gave any specifics to what his roles would be. I think this is what most of the board 'assumed' he would end up doing.

How dare you insult Tyrus Thomas, don't you realize he is our Franchise Player?

No, he has no star potential at all. Ben Gordon is the franchise player.

See what I did there?

Not really, because I don't think Ben Gordon is a franchise player. :-?
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#30 » by kyrv » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:09 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Not really, because I don't think Ben Gordon is a franchise player. :-?

And can you quote anyone who believes that Tyrus Thomas is (meaning current) our franchise player? (Hint: no)
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#31 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:11 pm

kyrv wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And can you quote anyone who believes that Tyrus Thomas is (meaning current) our franchise player? (Hint: no)

Probably not anymore because I can't remember the threads.
Shill
RealGM

Post#32 » by Shill » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:14 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Probably not anymore because I can't remember the threads.

Nary a person on this board has said Tyrus is our franchise player.

However, many think he has that type of POTENTIAL.

Being and potentially being are two different things.

If you think Tyrus is a dud, fine. But it's pretty silly to condescend to people who think he isn't (including our GM).
JeremyB0001
General Manager
And1: 810

Post#33 » by JeremyB0001 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:27 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:I don't understand the man crush everybody has for Tyrus.

I don't understand why people post in threads when they don't want to discuss the relevant subject matter. The issue is "Has Tyrus had ample opportunity to play close to the basket, where Boylan wants him to play?" If you don't want to discuss that then maybe we can set you up with your own post where you and your allies just talk about Tyrus being terrible all day.

waffle wrote:I doubt this came out of left field... I kinda suspect that this is what they have told TT they want from him.. and then... there he is roaming around. Face it, this team NEEDS a baseline stopper.

This is the third time, I've asked people to respond to points in the OP. Do you think he has the opportunity to play closer to the basket and yet fails to do so? I don't, if you disagree with my points then it'd be constructive for you to explain how you think he can better play near the basket while guarding his man on defense and without clogging the paint on offense.
girlygirl
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#34 » by girlygirl » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:15 am

On Chicago Tribune Live, KC Johnson again talked about Tyrus' inabiliy to learn the game plan and his difficulty in focusing from one series to the next.

My question is -- if this is indeed a real problem and not just an excuse for him not geting PT -- maybe the Bulls should test him to see if this lack of focus and inability to learn the game plans is something more than simply youth and/or laziness. Maybe they hould think about testing him to see if he has some sort of attention deficit disorder?
305bullsfan
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#35 » by 305bullsfan » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:30 am

i agree ty should be near the basket for the most part but he did hit his j last night and he would be better pick and roll option than lets say ben freakin wallace . . .
Polynice4Pippen wrote:Only way this crowd could be more pro Bulls would be to boo for the lack of Big Macs at 100.

Return to Chicago Bulls