Image ImageImage Image

Pax Doesn't want to develop youth

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Jello Biafra
Analyst
And1: 348

Pax Doesn't want to develop youth 

Post#1 » by Jello Biafra » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:06 pm

Despite what he said after the Skiles firing, his actions are completely antagonistic to developing TT, Thabo and Noah.

Look at how he chose his coach, and I'm not talking "right hand man stuff".

Instead of getting a new coach with a multiyear deal and saying "this is your team for the next three years", like he did with Skiles 5 years ago, he picks a longtime assistant, gives him a modest deal through the end of the year and says, "this is your audition to see if you will be our head coach".

Boylan, knowing he has to win a lot to keep the job does the rational thing. He plays the players he believes gives him the best chance to win, the vets. Undeniably, Joe Smith is coming through. That leaves little chance for the youngsters to get some burn unless they are spectacular consistently in practice.

Pax has put himself in a position where he won't get to develop his draft picks due to his strategy on naming a coach.
Dieselbound&Down
Lead Assistant
And1: 420

Post#2 » by Dieselbound&Down » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:30 pm

I don't think Pax had any choice in coaches. He could either name Pete Myers or Boylan as Reinsdorf would never greenlight having two head coaching salaries on the payroll for any longer than he can help it.

The only way around it would be to somehow convince Boylan that his legacy will be made not in how many wins he gets but in how he develops the youth. That is a hard sell given that Boylan has been an assistant for 20 years and he knows how the coaching game is played.
Kneepad
Sixth Man
And1: 39

Post#3 » by Kneepad » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:09 pm

Dieselbound&Down wrote:I don't think Pax had any choice in coaches. He could either name Pete Myers or Boylan as Reinsdorf would never greenlight having two head coaching salaries on the payroll for any longer than he can help it.

I really don't think that had anything to do with it. JR has taken on multiple head coach salaries before e.g. when Pax fired Cartwright and hired Skiles.

I don't know how many here realize how critical the decision is on who will be the next permanent head coach of this team. Assuming Pax gives the new guy 3 years, at the end of that run Kirk Hinrich will be 30.

I think Pax went with an interim guy from the existing staff primarily for 2 reasons: 1) the pool of available coaches is surely smaller now that it will be during the summer, and 2) bringing in an outside guy would be a considerably larger disruption, and Pax isn't ready to completely give up on this season. With Boylan, you can have a fresh attitude and perspective while at the same time having a guy who is familiar with the players and with the sets the team is running. It's the best compromise for an interim guy.
p_s
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#4 » by p_s » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:16 pm

Kneepad wrote:I don't know how many here realize how critical the decision is on who will be the next permanent head coach of this team. Assuming Pax gives the new guy 3 years, at the end of that run Kirk Hinrich will be 30.

Why does this matter. Kirk Hinrich shouldn't be the PG on this team anyway. I think along with a new coach, new players who are not tweeners at their position should be brought in anyway.

Regarding the initial post, I think Pax has been lying for a different reason. Following the Skiles firing, we were told that he would be more hands on. I could be wrong, but I thought that he would see to the youth on this team would get their fair shake. I think that has not happened -- not for Thabo and Tyrus.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,331

Post#5 » by AirP. » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:23 pm

I think Paxson is very interested in developing the young guys but he's been putting faith in his coaches... to a fault. Skiles' only give me energy and rebounding is seriously causing our young bigs to lose focus... if you did that to Gordon or Nocioni they might spontaneously combust out there.

I think Paxson has given Boylan a set amount of time to get this team back on track and if that doesn't happen you'll see the young guys come in. Funny thing is... once that time happens, I think we'll take a dip in quality for a week or so but after that, I expect us to be playing better then we are now.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#6 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:55 pm

Sounds eerily familiar to another thread...

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=746594
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
JGeils
Assistant Coach
And1: 31

Post#7 » by JGeils » Sat Jan 5, 2008 11:15 pm

Jesus, Kneepad, not Dave Hollander ...
derf
Starter
And1: 0

Post#8 » by derf » Sat Jan 5, 2008 11:32 pm

Kneepad wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I really don't think that had anything to do with it. JR has taken on multiple head coach salaries before e.g. when Pax fired Cartwright and hired Skiles.

I disagree on this. As I recall there was a breakdown in contract negoations with Skiles and SS turned down Pax's (final?) extension offer and was ready to walk. After about 24 hours of typical Real GM hysteria, JR came in and OK'd the deal SS Agent was demanding.

I have always suspected that the other stockholders were consulted before SS demands were met. It is entirely possible that there is no money allocated in the budget for additional coaching saleries. I have never believed that JR operates with carte blanche, who knows? Perhaps that is why we can't get a big man coach.

Remember when we lost Adrian Griffin to the Mavs because Pax wouldn't or couldn't guaruntee a league minimum deal? (lux tax was not an issue).

Never underestimate the Bulls desire to pinch pennies.
ericwill
Junior

Post#9 » by ericwill » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:38 am

ALL Chicago franchises are the CHEAPEST in professional sports. The Cubs, Bears, Bulls, Hawks, & Sox. I cannot think of a city that has more franchises with tight a** owners, especially out of the big market cities. Our franchises are reluctant to pay anybody.
I am the Don of NBA Knowledge!
ericwill
Junior

Post#10 » by ericwill » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:39 am

Oh yea....Goodbye Lance Briggs!!!
I am the Don of NBA Knowledge!

Return to Chicago Bulls