Image ImageImage Image

Sun-Times: Backcourt Needs Help

Moderators: HomoSapien, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23

Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Sun-Times: Backcourt Needs Help 

Post#1 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 1:02 pm

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketba ... 06.article

Noah and Gray provide size -- 6-11 and 7 feet, respectively -- to a team that was sorely lacking in that area. The Bulls have to stay patient and see just how good the youngsters can become.

But that doesn't mean general manager John Paxson should let the trading deadline next month pass without making a major move. The Bulls still have a glaring need -- in the backcourt.

By now, they were hoping Thabo Sefolosha would be ready to play a major role as a big backcourt option to team with smaller guards Kirk Hinrich and Ben Gordon. But Sefolosha hasn't improved enough offensively to warrant more than spot duty, and there's no indication that the situation will change any time soon.

The Bulls need backcourt help, and that ideally would be a big guard capable of playing a few minutes at the point. Of course, such players are difficult to find, which is why Paxson was willing to take a chance on Sefolosha in the 2006 draft in the first place.

If a trade for a big guard doesn't materialize, the Bulls should take a long look at Andre Miller of the Philadelphia 76ers. At 6-2, Miller isn't a big guard, but he's an accomplished point guard capable of breaking down a defense and finishing. With Gordon coming off the bench, Miller would be a better option in the starting lineup than Chris Duhon and would provide some much-needed creativity off the dribble in late-game situations, something that was lacking in overtime home losses to the Orlando Magic and Portland Trail Blazers.

The rebuilding 76ers certainly could be enticed into dealing Miller, who makes about $9.4 million this season and has another year left on his contract. A package built around Tyrus Thomas, along with a couple of other players for salary-cap purposes, might get it done.

No way do I trade Tyrus for Andre Miller

However, I agree that we MUST fix our backcourt problem. Duhon has made 1 shot in last 3 games (and that was called "good" due to goaltending), Kirk's play is absolutely atrocious, & Thabo has no offensive game at all (as noted in article).

Who is available besides Miller? Jason Kidd probably.
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 1:09 pm

For Kidd: Wallace & Duhon work easily. There also is that Wallace & Hinrich for Kidd & Collins deal that McGraw proposed.

Philly has Miller & Ollie to deal. We can easily work out a trade for either. Duhon = Ollie straight up.
- -- Chinese proverb
lostonbase
Starter
And1: 280

Post#3 » by lostonbase » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:00 pm

blah. If your going to trade Tyrus at least bring back something that helps. Miller isn't any taller than what we have currently. Why not trade for a tall two, if the problem with the back court is lack of height?

Tyrus is a nice trade piece. If Paxson is willing to trade him, would the Clippers bite on an offer of Duhon and Tyrus for Maggette and Dickau?
Maggette would actually solve a problem.
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#4 » by jax98 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:12 pm

Trade Tyrus Thomas for Andre Miller and I lose every single ounce of respect for our front office. You simply do not do that deal.

IMO, we shouldn't be looking at trading for a point guard. That is a position both Gordon & Hinrich can handle with Duhon getiing spot minutes. We need to acquire a 2-guard. Even if Duhon goes in a trade, we would still have enough man power at the point.

We have the following players available for trades:

Chris Duhon ($3.2M expiring. Solid back-up point guard)
Viktor Khryapa ($1.9M expiring)
Andres Nocioni (Starting material small forward. 6th man at worst)

Duhon & Khryapa combined is worth a total of $5.1M in expiring contracts. I'm sure some team would be taking a look at that. Especially if we throw in a 2nd round pick.

Bottom line:

You do not trade away your youngsters or established starters for a back-up 2-guard.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:16 pm

I doubt Nocioni gets traded now since he is worth more when the BYC expires after this season. The trading pieces should be Duhon, Khryapa, and Thabo.

Thabo could replace the SG that we obtain & would be attractive.

The article did identify the problem - but the solution of trading Tyrus is flat out insane

I think Du, VK & Thabo can bring a good player back. We can stand pat on the other players until the off-season
- -- Chinese proverb
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,485

Post#6 » by coldfish » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:21 pm

bulls6 wrote:I doubt Nocioni gets traded now since he is worth more when the BYC expires after this season. The trading pieces should be Duhon, Khryapa, and Thabo.

From a monetary standpoint, the Bulls have a big incentive to move BYC players since the terms virtually guarantee that Chicago sheds salary in the exchange.

Another note, Philly is tryin to get under the salary cap. I bet that they would move Miller for that package. However, it puts Chicago in a bad place next year when they try to extend Gordon and Deng.

If the Bulls make a move for a big money player, its almost guaranteed that one of Nocioni, Hinrich, Deng, Gordon or Wallace have to leave.
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 468

Post#7 » by step » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:30 pm

The rebuilding 76ers certainly could be enticed into dealing Miller, who makes about $9.4 million this season and has another year left on his contract. A package built around Tyrus Thomas, along with a couple of other players for salary-cap purposes, might get it done.
John Jackson should be shot.

Chris Duhon ($3.2M expiring. Solid back-up point guard)
Viktor Khryapa ($1.9M expiring)
Andres Nocioni (Starting material small forward. 6th man at worst)

Duhon & Khryapa combined is worth a total of $5.1M in expiring contracts. I'm sure some team would be taking a look at that.

Duhon, Khryapa, Griffin and Nocioni for Maggette and ET works.
jax98
RealGM

Post#8 » by jax98 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:33 pm

Yes, but Cassell would eat up minutes at the point. So we'd end up clogging the back-court. An ideal back-court these days would be have a 3-guard rotation all of which are capable offensively, and have a few extra bench-warming guards who can play spot-minutes if necessary.
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 468

Post#9 » by step » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:39 pm

Yes, but Cassell would eat up minutes at the point.
Well if the team is truly worried about the minutes spread after the deal, they can consider trying to get him to play a reduced role as a backup PG, or just simply buy him out. He expires this season anyways, it won't be that big of a loss.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#10 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:41 pm

[quote="coldfish"][/quote]

We can easily work out a deal with Philly involving Duhon, VK, Thabo &/or Griffin for Miller & filler

I have no problem with that at all

Clippers may also be interested in our declining contracts or expiring contracts

Either one would be an ideal trading partner.
- -- Chinese proverb
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#11 » by coldfish » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:48 pm

bulls6 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We can easily work out a deal with Philly involving Duhon, VK, Thabo &/or Griffin for Miller & filler

I have no problem with that at all

Clippers may also be interested in our declining contracts or expiring contracts

Either one would be an ideal trading partner.

Yeah, that's what I was saying.

However, look at the $$$$. Miller is on the hook for $10M per year next year. When you add Nocioni, Wallace and Hinrich plus the other deals, the Bulls simply can't extend Gordon and Deng and stay under the luxury tax barrier. The team couldn't even do a sign and trade, because the salary coming back would put them over the tax limit.

Essentially, the Bulls would have to let Gordon walk for nothing this offseason if they did your trade. Given that Miller would be unrestricted after that year, the trade would become Gordon + filler for a 1.5 year rental of 6'2" 32 year old Miller.
jax98
RealGM

Post#12 » by jax98 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:48 pm

step wrote:
Yes, but Cassell would eat up minutes at the point.
Well if the team is truly worried about the minutes spread after the deal, they can consider trying to get him to play a reduced role as a backup PG, or just simply buy him out. He expires this season anyways, it won't be that big of a loss.

I thought Sam had another year on his deal. Well, that changes everything. If he's an expiring contract, Los Angeles probably won't trade him. They might lose Brand & Maggette, so I suspect they go into rebuilding mode by clearing cap-space if that happens.
eierluke
Lead Assistant
And1: 87

Post#13 » by eierluke » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:04 pm

All those trades won't help really us.
We're on the brink to become a rebuilding, or at least reloading team, let's just face it!
All we need to do is somehow to acquire a top 5 pick - everything else is just tinkering around.
And Hinrichs trade value is at an absolute low point, why should we trade him right now? Let's better stay patient, even if he has an offseason. Maybe he'll be back at his old level next season and his decreasing salary will even make him more and more attractive for trades.

If Pax wants to make a trade now let's go for a minor one, involving Kryhapka for a veteran backup SG.
sven petersson
NoahISmyNinja
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#14 » by NoahISmyNinja » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:32 pm

I actually think that Thabo is going to turn it around now that skiles is gone.

He was +7 last night which was encouraging. With Deng ailing, Thabo should see a little more time by default. The guy really just needs some consistent run and to not be looking over his shoulder. Obviously we don't need him to score that much. If we can pair Duhon with Hinrich, then why not Thabo?

As poorly as Duhon has shot, I just can't see how giving Thabo big minues or even starting him is going to be a worse scenario than with Duhon. Thabo is also a better rebounder than Duhon and obviously adds more length to the Backcourt.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,871

Post#15 » by DuckIII » Sun Jan 6, 2008 4:29 pm

I don't want to trade Tyrus Thomas at all. Period. If it brought back a player like Gasol, I'd learn to live with it.

If it brought back Andre Miller, I honestly don't know what I'd do as a fan.

Tyrus Thomas is the best prospect on the entire team and the only player with any chance to be a legit dominant force in this league. You just don't trade players like that for old point guards.

I'm stunned that this was ever written and published.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#16 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Sun Jan 6, 2008 4:34 pm

DuckIII wrote:I don't want to trade Tyrus Thomas at all. Period. If it brought back a player like Gasol, I'd learn to live with it.

For Gasol, if TT was the main piece, I could handle that. But I wouldn't want to part with anyone else unless their name is Duhon.

If it brought back Andre Miller, I honestly don't know what I'd do as a fan.

I do. I'd drive to the Berto and forcibly remove John Paxson from his chair.

Tyrus Thomas is the best prospect on the entire team and the only player with any chance to be a legit dominant force in this league. You just don't trade players like that for old point guards.

I'm stunned that this was ever written and published.

I agree 100%
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
girlygirl
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#17 » by girlygirl » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:30 pm

There have also been several articles in the Philly papers lately quoting Ed Stefanski that he's not shopping Miller around the league. With the Korver deal, the Sixers are going to be under the salary cap in the summer even without moving Miller. The most recent article suggested they could go after a needed big man (Elton Brand was the suggestion of the writer), sign Iguodala AND still keep Miller.

Now, this writer might simply be blowing smoke, but if what he's saying is true it sounds like Stefanski would have to be blown away by an offer to move Miller. After all, the PG's deal expires after next season -- so Philly might be better off waiting and moving him sometime in the 2008-09 campaign.

On the Bulls' side of things, Miller wouldn't address the team's biggest weakness in the backcourt, which is size. He's 6'2" (maybe) and isn't a good enough defender to guard th Redds, McGradys, Bryants, etc. of the world. He also isn't a bigtime scorer, putting up about 16 PPG, although he's capable of having big scoring games on occasion. He' a better true PG than anyone on the Bulls' roster, but looking at his assist and turnover numbers this season, they really aren't any different from what Hinrich is putting up (Miller is averaging 6.3 APG and 2.7 TO/G in 35.9 MPG, Hinrich 6.1 APG and 2.5 TO/G in 33.6 MPG), so I wonder how much of an upgrade Miller would really be in that area? Like Philly, the Bulls don't have a bunch of bigtime scoring threats, so I doubt Miller's numbers would suddenly jump if he did land here.
basghetti80
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#18 » by basghetti80 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:39 pm

Thomas for Miller is absurd. His points about needing help in backcourt are obviously true though. What about a Duhon,Thabo,Khryapa for Watson, Wilkins deal? Watson gives us an upgrade over Duhon. Very creative point guard who is an excellent passer and good defender of the quicker guards around the league. Wilkins is a big 6'7 SG who can defend, slash to the basket is versatile.
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Re: Sun-Times: Backcourt Needs Help 

Post#19 » by Shill » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:40 pm

How does someone at such a highly regarded newspaper write something so exceedingly stupid?

I mean...this is awful on so many levels.

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#20 » by coldfish » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:07 pm

What's funny is that he used the word "might", as in, the 76'er's probably would not trade Miller for Thomas, but there is a chance.

A package built around Tyrus Thomas, along with a couple of other players for salary-cap purposes, might get it done.

Return to Chicago Bulls