Image ImageImage Image

Reggie Theus Remembers Chicago Days

Moderators: HomoSapien, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, Ice Man, dougthonus

TB#1
Banned User
And1: 9

Reggie Theus Remembers Chicago Days 

Post#1 » by TB#1 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:49 pm

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... -headlines

Theus gets 'sappy' on way back home
Kings coach fondly recalls days as Bull

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

January 5, 2008, 10:24 PM CST

Asked if he ever thought he would return to Chicago as an NBA head coach, Rush Street Reggie got right to the point.

"No," Reggie Theus said. "I was too busy hanging out."

Theus long ago shed his penchant for late-night carousing for late-night film work and parlayed his surprising collegiate success at New Mexico State into an equally surprising gig as the Kings' coach.

The longtime popular Bull talked eloquently and emotionally about what it meant to return to Chicago.

"I actually felt a little sappy driving up because I said, 'Wow, my first time back to Chicago as an NBA head coach,' " Theus said. "It was a nice feeling, really.

"As a rookie, I have a memory of going to a Michael Jackson concert, and I got a standing ovation. Those were pretty incredible things for a young guy.

"Fans here have always made me feel like this is home. We've always had that kind of affair. How many times in a person's life are you in a stadium where they're chanting your name?"

Then Theus, in a nod to the Chicago Stadium crowds that watched many of the lean teams for which he toiled in the late '70s and early '80s, delivered the punch line: "All 6,000 of them."

Theus grew serious, though, when asked about the spate of injuries that has affected the Kings, as well as his coaching philosophy.

"In terms of on-the-job training, I don't know any first-year coaches who have had to go through some of the things I've had to in terms of personnel issues and injuries," Theus said.

"I respect my guys, but I coach them hard. And I believe that I have to have more energy than they do. With all the other pressures, it's a battle sometimes. But I think that's important because if I'm asking them to come out and put it on the line every night, then they have to see me put it on the line also."
newskoolbulls
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#2 » by newskoolbulls » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:00 am

I wish I was alive to see him play, I herd he wasnt great but herd he could really score. When I was younger 10 am every saturday watching him on Hangtime was the higlight of my week.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#3 » by BrooklynBulls » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:27 am

Theus coached a GREAT game. I wish we could have picked him up. He really, really, played Gordon well.
TB#1
Banned User

Post#4 » by TB#1 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:00 pm

newskoolbulls wrote:I wish I was alive to see him play, I herd he wasnt great but herd he could really score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AS_Y9z0doQ

herd

Moo.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,502

Post#5 » by Ballings7 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:40 pm

Theus averaged like 6-7 APG, as well
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Reggie! 

Post#6 » by ATRAIN53 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:19 pm

very hard to root agaist Reggie in that game saturday.

Reggie and A-Train are the reason i became a Bulls fan as a kid. check this story out, i would say it was the day i became a rabid bulls fan after listening to that game on the AM radio.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/history/theus_810403.html

everytime he came back to play against the Bulls after they foolishly traded him for a bag of peanuts - the only player that received a bigger ovation then him was MJ.

i hope he got a standing o on saturday.
TB#1
Banned User

Post#7 » by TB#1 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:57 pm

Iloved that whole "My Most Memorable Game" series and hope someday Bulls.com publishes some more.

Of course, the Boerwinkle feature was my favorite. :wink:

Return to Chicago Bulls