Image ImageImage Image

The Official: Draw on Ben Wallace Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

bulls6pack
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#21 » by bulls6pack » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:41 pm

bulls6pack
Sixth Man

Post#22 » by bulls6pack » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:51 pm

bulls6pack
Sixth Man

Post#23 » by bulls6pack » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:57 pm

bulls6pack
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by bulls6pack » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:08 pm

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,756

Post#25 » by DuckIII » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:13 pm

The thought balloon with the headband is classic. Good stuff, 6pack.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
SherronShabazz
Assistant Coach
And1: 127

Post#26 » by SherronShabazz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:24 pm

TB#1 wrote:(picture)

childhood photo

racist bull. chuckle it up.
TB#1
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#27 » by TB#1 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:12 pm

SherronShabazz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

racist bull. chuckle it up.

You think the joking suggestion that Ben Wallace, with his wild hair, might have looked like Buckwheat from the Our Gang movies as a child is racist?

Now the character of Buckwheat in and of itself clearly has racist overtones which would never fly today, but come on...the Ben/Buckwheat comparison is really no different than Hinrich/Harry Potter.

Were you equally outraged when Eddie Murphy did his grownup Buckwheat character?
SherronShabazz
Assistant Coach

Post#28 » by SherronShabazz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:16 pm

TB#1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You think the joking suggestion that Ben Wallace, with his wild hair, might have looked like Buckwheat from the Our Gang movies as a child is racist?

Now the character of Buckwheat in and of itself clearly has racist overtones which would never fly today, but come on...the Ben/Buckwheat comparison is really no different than Hinrich/Harry Potter.

Were you equally outraged when Eddie Murphy did his grownup Buckwheat character?

i was a child when eddie murphy did his buckwheat character. i also watched bugs bunny, tom and jerry, and the 3 stooges which was equally as racist as the little rascals. i wouldnt watch any of that today. some things are just wrong.

yes i think its racist.
TB#1
Banned User

Post#29 » by TB#1 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:18 pm

yes i think its racist.

OK. How so?
bulls6pack
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by bulls6pack » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:22 pm

Its not racist! If someone thought it was racist, then chances are it wouldn't have been put up at all! BTW, how is Tom and Jerry and The 3 Stooges racist? :crazy:
SherronShabazz
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by SherronShabazz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:25 pm

OK. How so?

you are comparing this guy to a racist caricature. this aint 1920. its equal to saying oprah looks like aunt jemima which is another racist image. to YOU she may very well look like aunt jemima... but you just dont say that. its wrong.
SherronShabazz
Assistant Coach

Post#32 » by SherronShabazz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:29 pm

bulls6pack wrote:Its not racist! If someone thought it was racist, then chances are it wouldn't have been put up at all! BTW, how is Tom and Jerry and The 3 Stooges racist? :crazy:

you cant be serious?

who has control of this site? nevermind...

the 3 stooges, tom and jerry. they all had racist images of black people.
TB#1
Banned User

Post#33 » by TB#1 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:30 pm

bulls6pack wrote:Its not racist! If someone thought it was racist, then chances are it wouldn't have been put up at all! BTW, how is Tom and Jerry and The 3 Stooges racist? :crazy:

Tom and Jerry most certainly -- there is a recurring character of a "mammie" type maid that is horribly inappropriate.

I can't recall anything in the Stooges particularly racist, but I've never been a big Stooges fan. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if there were some shuffling step'n'fetchit type background characters in some skits, given the overall lowbrow nature of the humor.

And if the accusation of racism is the mere invocation of an admittedly race-based character like Buckwheat, I guess I'm guilty as charged.

However, the point of the comparison is just the similarity of the wild hair, which I don't particulary consider to be racially charged in the context used. As I said, it is taking a feature and comparing it to someone with a similar look -- like Kirk and Harry Potter.

We spent weeks making fun of Skiles' balding head. If we can't make fun of Ben's hair without offending, this thread isn't going to go far.
SherronShabazz
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by SherronShabazz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:30 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_and_Jerry

Beginning in 1965, the Hanna and Barbera Tom and Jerry shorts began to appear on television in heavily edited form: the Jones team was required to take Saturday Evening Puss, which featured Mammy, rotoscope her out, and replace her with a thin white woman, with Lillian Randolph's original voice tracks replaced by June Foray performing in an Irish accent. However, in local telecasts of the cartoons, and in the ones shown on Boomerang, Mammy, featured in the other shorts, could once again be seen, and more recently, with a new, less stereotypical black voice supplied. Much of the extreme violence in the cartoons were also edited out. Starting out on CBS' Saturday Morning schedule on September 25, 1965, Tom and Jerry moved to CBS Sundays two years later and remained there until September 17, 1972.

Like a number of other animated cartoons in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s, Tom and Jerry was not considered politically correct in later years. Some cartoons featured either Tom or Jerry in blackface following an explosion, which are subsequently cut when shown on television today, although The Yankee Doodle Mouse blackface gag is still shown in other countries. The black maid, mammy two shoes is often considered racist because she is depicted as a poor black woman who has a rodent problem. Other ethnic stereotypes are also omitted, particularly the black maid, Mammy Two-Shoes, whose voice was redubbed by Turner in the mid-1990s in hopes of making the character sound less stereotypical. One cartoon in particular, His Mouse Friday, is often banned from television due to the cannibals being seen as racist stereotypes. If shown, the cannibals' dialogue is edited out, although their mouths can be seen moving.

In 2006, United Kingdom channel Boomerang made plans to edit Tom and Jerry cartoons being aired in the UK where the characters were seen to be smoking in a manner that was "condoned, acceptable or glamorised." This followed a complaint from a viewer that the cartoons were not appropriate for younger viewers, and a subsequent investigation by UK media watchdog Ofcom.[3] It has also taken the U.S. approach by editing out blackface gags, though this seems to be random as not all scenes of this type are cut.
SherronShabazz
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by SherronShabazz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:37 pm

Tom and Jerry most certainly -- there is a recurring character of a "mammie" type maid that is horribly inappropriate.

I can't recall anything in the Stooges particularly racist, but I've never been a big Stooges fan. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if there were some shuffling step'n'fetchit type background characters in some skits, given the overall lowbrow nature of the humor.

And if the accusation of racism is the mere invocation of an admittedly race-based character like Buckwheat, I guess I'm guilty as charged.

However, the point of the comparison is just the similarity of the wild hair, which I don't particulary consider to be racially charged. As I said, it is taking a feature and comparing it to someone with a similar look -- like Kirk and Harry Potter.

We spent weeks making fun of Skiles' balding head. If we can't make fun of Ben's hair without offending, this thread isn't going to go far.

hey. i dont think your intent was bad. i just think its wrong. its my opinion. sorry to slow down the thread. i laughed at a couple things here. just not buckwheat.

im done.
Addicted123
Starter
And1: 22

Post#36 » by Addicted123 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:16 pm

lol, all of these images are great.....
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#37 » by Rerisen » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:20 pm

I can't get motivated to even make fun of Wallace in pictures. That's how much I want him gone. :evil:

Skiles was fun because he had some redeeming qualities and helped turn the team around.

Wallace is just... :puke:
Grand Champ
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#38 » by Grand Champ » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:41 pm

hey. i dont think your intent was bad. i just think its wrong. its my opinion. sorry to slow down the thread. i laughed at a couple things here. just not buckwheat.

im done.

Hey if you're so mad about it why don't you just march down to the REALGM server headquarters and start a rally.

Give me a frickin break. Calling something that nobody else sees as racist, almost makes you a racist for getting offended by it, does it not? That's like saying your avatar is sexist... two sides to every story, now be quiet and post more Wallace hate pictures!
TB#1
Banned User

Post#39 » by TB#1 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:43 pm

SherronShabazz deserves more respect than that. He makes valid points.
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Post#40 » by Three34 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:56 pm

Return to Chicago Bulls