Image ImageImage Image

SI: D'Antoni accepts offer to coach Knicks

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#161 » by BR0D1E86 » Sat May 10, 2008 8:55 pm

Raptors90102 wrote:You guys need Sam Mitchell!

If he's fired, would you guys consider it over Thibideau (sp?) and Avery Johnson??

Does he work cheap and love Pete Myers, Ron Adams and the White Sox?
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#162 » by BR0D1E86 » Sat May 10, 2008 8:57 pm

My read on this is that it was money, and about 1 million bucks a year, that prevented Paxson from getting the guy he ID'd as his choice.

I really want to give up on this stupid franchise.
JOHN
General Manager
And1: 90

Post#163 » by JOHN » Sat May 10, 2008 9:01 pm

BR0D1E86 wrote:My read on this is that it was money, and about 1 million bucks a year, that prevented Paxson from getting the guy he ID'd as his choice.

I really want to give up on this stupid franchise.

I think i wont watch the nBA in general..just liek i quit baseball.

I will go to Chicago in December.Stand outside the united Center and look at Jordans statue.then head off for a bears game at Soldier Field.
Remember remember the 1st of April.......
BullSoxChicago'sFinest
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#164 » by BullSoxChicago'sFinest » Sat May 10, 2008 9:01 pm

Yes! NY helps our franchise again. What a waste of money for NY. Sweet, even less defense, similar problem they had before, except on hook for 6 mill a year for it now! Awesome!

Now go get Avery
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#165 » by Polynice4Pippen » Sat May 10, 2008 9:05 pm

Thank God. 6 million a year for the basketball version of Mike Martz. No thanks. Disaster averted.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,163

Post#166 » by League Circles » Sat May 10, 2008 9:06 pm

Honestly I'm happy that we're not getting D'Antoni. And although I know my sig says to get him (I'll change it in a moment), I now know someone about MD that I didn't know before.

I know that he'd rather coach the effing NY Knicks for some extra cash rather than stay in Phoenix and try for a title. Of course I thought he shoudl come here, but aparently we didn't offer him a contract, so I can't blame him for that. But my opinion of him is substantially changed by finding out that he indeed wants to coach the effing Knicks. To me it says he's more about ego and money than winning. His ego is what made him want out of Phoenix.

So good riddance. I will go back to hoping to God that we sign JVG, no matter how ignorant that may be. The reason is that I know enough about him to know that he was always my #1 choice, and I don't know much about the other candidates.

For the record, I predict that MD will not get NY into the playoffs (although I may very well change my mind if they make personnel moves), and will either quit or be fired after 2-3 seasons, and that NY will be his last NBA head coaching job.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#167 » by Ralphb07 » Sat May 10, 2008 9:10 pm

BullSoxChicago'sFinest wrote:Yes! NY helps our franchise again. What a waste of money for NY. Sweet, even less defense, similar problem they had before, except on hook for 6 mill a year for it now! Awesome!

Now go get Avery

Unless Avery is going to take 4 mil per yr, I don't see him being hired.

I see Paxson waiting for Thibodeau and once the Celts season is over and Phx hires Thibo, Paxson will say oh crap and hire Mark Jackson.

So not only will we not hire a coach until mid June and give them no time to evaluate our team, we will hire choice 10 on Paxson list. Boy I can't wait for the 08-09 season :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 465

Post#168 » by step » Sat May 10, 2008 9:11 pm

If only we didn't take so long chasing an obvious pipe dream that we had to miss out on Casey too...

Now go get Avery
I cringe at the though of Skiles redux, but the pickings is getting quite slim now.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#169 » by League Circles » Sat May 10, 2008 9:18 pm

You guys, as the ultimate Pax/Bulls apologist, I'd just like to say that I'm still not convinced that the Bulls let "their guy" get away. Almost everything I've read stresses how much MD wanted the job, but perhaps nothing about how much the Bulls wanted MD. The only thing we do know is that Pax wanted to interview other candidates after interviewing MD twice. I think the fact that they didn't even offer him a contract means that they will still having their doubts. I don't blame them. I had my doubts, I just didn't listen to them in my mind because I thought Pax wanted him and I'm a Pax apologist.

Oh well, let's get an effing coach who knows that D wins championships. BTW, I never believed otherwise while I wanted MD, I just tried to convince myself that he really did value D, and just had a less is more theory about coaching D.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,295

Post#170 » by enigmatics » Sat May 10, 2008 9:21 pm

teamCHItown wrote: To me it says he's more about ego and money than winning. His ego is what made him want out of Phoenix.

Bingo. After four years of not getting over the hump, tension and pressure were mounting. It had become ever so clear that D'Antoni's philosophy was lacking in certain areas and needed tweaking. Kerr preached this (a guy who's been a part of many championship teams). At the same time I'm sure D'Antoni was fishing for more of a committment from the Suns for his long term future, all the while stubbornly denying his shortcomings. Kerr and Co. wouldn't give it to him unless he made some concessions.......... but to take some of the things Kerr wanted him to work on as an affront was absurd.

Regardless, D'Antoni knew he was at a crossroad. Ride it out with the Suns and risk tainting his image if they failed miserably or get out now when his name has never been more recognized and toss his name into one of the weakest coaching market we'll ever see. Hmmmmm ...... he took the money behind door 2. I personally think it's a bunch of horse dung. He kept staunchly defending the Suns, claiming our window wasn't closing and the moment he has to answer to his bosses and they ask just a little bit of him - he scattered like a cockroach when the lights turn on.

Seriously, if he thought the criticisms from the Phoenix fans and media were bad, just wait until he's a couple of years into his NY contract.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#171 » by enigmatics » Sat May 10, 2008 9:21 pm

teamCHItown wrote:You guys, as the ultimate Pax/Bulls apologist, I'd just like to say that I'm still not convinced that the Bulls let "their guy" get away. Almost everything I've read stresses how much MD wanted the job, but perhaps nothing about how much the Bulls wanted MD. The only thing we do know is that Pax wanted to interview other candidates after interviewing MD twice. I think the fact that they didn't even offer him a contract means that they will still having their doubts. I don't blame them. I had my doubts, I just didn't listen to them in my mind because I thought Pax wanted him and I'm a Pax apologist.

Oh well, let's get an effing coach who knows that D wins championships. BTW, I never believed otherwise while I wanted MD, I just tried to convince myself that he really did value D, and just had a less is more theory about coaching D.

It came down to which franchise was going to remain hands-off and let Mike do his thing, along with setting up his own coaching staff. Apparently the Knicks were the ones to concede ......and naively so......
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#172 » by StutterStep » Sat May 10, 2008 9:22 pm

teamCHItown wrote:

I know that he'd rather coach the effing NY Knicks for some extra cash rather than stay in Phoenix and try for a title. Of course I thought he shoudl come here, but aparently we didn't offer him a contract, so I can't blame him for that. But my opinion of him is substantially changed by finding out that he indeed wants to coach the effing Knicks. To me it says he's more about ego and money than winning. His ego is what made him want out of Phoenix.

So good riddance. I will go back to hoping to God that we sign JVG, no matter how ignorant that may be. The reason is that I know enough about him to know that he was always my #1 choice, and I don't know much about the other candidates.

For the record, I predict that MD will not get NY into the playoffs (although I may very well change my mind if they make personnel moves), and will either quit or be fired after 2-3 seasons, and that NY will be his last NBA head coaching job.

See, that's not the scope of it. Pax went and had to go back to get his boss' approval. Right?

Donnie Walsh went and made the decision. Right?

Which job would you take? The one where your boss makes decisions? Or, the one where your boss is essentially an errand boy?

D'Antoni knows that whatever he asks Walsh, he will get the final answer right then and there.

Also, a good coach is challenged by winning in NY. Haven't you ever heard that Sinatra song... "if you can make it...."
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,706

Post#173 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Sat May 10, 2008 9:25 pm

I am TOTALLY disappointed.

I just don't get why JR is so cheap. How do you go from being willing to pay Jordan 30 MILLION BUCKS PER YEAR for his last three years here, to being unwilling to pay anybody anything significant for any period of time?

It's like he will only pay big money once the team has already won one or more championships.

I say Reinsdorf is responsible for Gasol not happening(the second time) and for this not happening, Pax is responsible for KG not happening and for Gasol not happening(the first time), and Kobe is responsible for Kobe not happening.

The first time with Gasol, Memphis wanted too much and Pax said no.

The second time with Gasol, we didn't have the expirings Memphis wanted except for PJ and JR didn't want to pay the lux tax.

With KG, when the time came that he was actually available(let's not kid ourselves, earlier in the decade when we fantasized about Tyson+Jay+Rose+whatever for KG deals, he was never really available at all), we gave a lowball offer of Deng+Chandler+pick because Pax didn't want to gut the team for KG.

As far as Kobe is concerned...I will never, ever believe Pax and Mitch Kupcheck when say 'Kobe was never available'. I believe that he was VERY available before the season, I believe that Chicago and LA had INTENSE talks, I believe that Chicago even succumbed towards the end and offered LA what they wanted, I believe the two franchises may even have agreed to a deal, and I believe Kobe vetoed any deal that may have been brought to him, because I believe that Kobe never truly was 100% committed to wanting to leave LA. I think he was very torn, and frustrated with LA's lack of improvement. I think in the end, when the two teams actually showed him a real deal, and the possibility of it being REAL was suddenly in front of him, he couldn't go through with it. That's how I read the whole Kobe situation. I think for once, Reinsdorf was completely on board with it.

With THIS, it is clearly about money and clearly on JR's head.
girlygirl
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#174 » by girlygirl » Sat May 10, 2008 9:25 pm

Just wondering...why doesn't realgm.com have this breaking news on their front page?
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#175 » by enigmatics » Sat May 10, 2008 9:27 pm

girlygirl wrote:Just wondering...why doesn't realgm.com have this breaking news on their front page?

.......... you're not implying what I think you are ....are you?
League Circles
RealGM

Post#176 » by League Circles » Sat May 10, 2008 9:27 pm

enigmatics wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Bingo. After four years of not getting over the hump, tension and pressure were mounting. It had become ever so clear that D'Antoni's philosophy was lacking in certain areas and needed tweaking. Kerr preached this (a guy who's been a part of many championship teams). At the same time I'm sure D'Antoni was fishing for more of a committment from the Suns for his long term future, all the while stubbornly denying his shortcomings. Kerr and Co. wouldn't give it to him unless he made some concessions.......... but to take some of the things Kerr wanted him to work on as an affront was absurd.

Regardless, D'Antoni knew he was at a crossroad. Ride it out with the Suns and risk tainting his image if they failed miserably or get out now when his name has never been more recognized and toss his name into one of the weakest coaching market we'll ever see. Hmmmmm ...... he took the money behind door 2. I personally think it's a bunch of horse dung. He kept staunchly defending the Suns, claiming our window wasn't closing and the moment he has to answer to his bosses and they ask just a little bit of him - he scattered like a cockroach when the lights turn on.

Seriously, if he thought the criticisms from the Phoenix fans and media were bad, just wait until he's a couple of years into his NY contract.

Yeah you're right on. I can now see why the Suns were OK with him leaving, especially if he didn't want to hear anything about IMPROVING. Also, he will be eaten alive in NY. Absolutely alive. I don't think he has any idea what he's up against. Trying to get that team to win with his style.... I actually think he may be the worst fit for the Knicks and vice versa. Especially since I can't see them getting rid of Zach and Eddy very easily. Yes, Craford and others may be good or OK for MD's system, but Zach and Eddy will SUCK. Which would be OK if they had someone to replace them, but they really don't. Man trading for Zach may have been their worst all time move. I really though tAvery would have been a decent fit for them. I don't know.
85Bears
Pro Prospect
And1: 135

Post#177 » by 85Bears » Sat May 10, 2008 9:27 pm

Im upset we didnt get Mike D. I still think coaching the Knicks is one of the top jobs in the NBA. Now that IT is out, they could be ok in a couple of years. There is now way NY doesnt land one of the top free agents in the 2010. Tell me Mike D wont be successful with Lebron there. Tell me Ny doesnt look more attractive with Mike D there. I hate the Knicks and if this breaks the way it can I am going to Really hate them.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#178 » by kyrv » Sat May 10, 2008 9:28 pm

Also, a good coach is challenged by winning in NY. Haven't you ever heard that Sinatra song... "if you can make it...."

Song lyrics are factual and we all need to live our lives by them.

Basically, because of Frank Sinatra, D'Antoni took the NY job. Flat out.

-----------------------------

Before people jump out of their windows, does anyone think not getting D'Antoni is costing the Bulls a title? I don't think so.

In fact one could argue, there is no point to spending $6 million on a coach when you aren't going to pay the luxury cap for a contender.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,463

Post#179 » by fleet » Sat May 10, 2008 9:28 pm

have the Bulls come out with a statement about how smart and financially responsible they were yet? Or that D'Antoni was great except for being supported by Hamas?
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant

Post#180 » by enigmatics » Sat May 10, 2008 9:29 pm

teamCHItown wrote:Yeah you're right on. I can now see why the Suns were OK with him leaving, especially if he didn't want to hear anything about IMPROVING. Also, he will be eaten alive in NY. Absolutely alive. I don't think he has any idea what he's up against. Trying to get that team to win with his style.... I actually think he may be the worst fit for the Knicks and vice versa. Especially since I can't see them getting rid of Zach and Eddy very easily. Yes, Craford and others may be good or OK for MD's system, but Zach and Eddy will SUCK. Which would be OK if they had someone to replace them, but they really don't. Man trading for Zach may have been their worst all time move. I really though tAvery would have been a decent fit for them. I don't know.

He'll get a pass in Year 1 ...........but after that, the honeymoon is over. There's a lot to be said about the kinds of players he had with the Suns in order to fully realize his vision of SSOL (Seven Seconds or Less) ...... For one to exist, the other had to as well ......... Just watch, now you're going to find the Knicks fishing for the next Steve Nash to run his offense. I cannot state enough just how important it is to have a PG like that run his offense.

Return to Chicago Bulls