Image ImageImage Image

SI: D'Antoni accepts offer to coach Knicks

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

derf
Starter
And1: 0

Post#241 » by derf » Sat May 10, 2008 11:41 pm

girlygirl wrote:Chad Ford has a column up on espn.com saying that the Knicks won over D'Antoni in large part because they showed they wanted him...the Bulls hemmed and hawed and didn't seem convinced he was the coach they really wanted.

Gee, perhaps JR was not authorized to make a long term multi million dollar offer without a vote from the other partners.

As predicted by none other then Derf. (Me).
VinTheBarber
Sixth Man

Post#242 » by VinTheBarber » Sat May 10, 2008 11:41 pm

when tjis season ended i didnt wanna pick a paticular coach to get the job because i didnt want to get my hopes up hight than have the bulls mess things up..but some how i got caught up in th dantoni hype jus because i knew it would pretty much alow noah,tyrus,deng and sef to get a lot of minutes...now were back at the drawing board and the team i hate the most has gotten the coach i had hopes for..the owrst part is living in ny having all my friends (knick fans} givin me the buissness..o well... just another day as a bulls fan..... :roll:
derf
Starter

Post#243 » by derf » Sat May 10, 2008 11:50 pm

The main point the spin meisters among us are ignoring is that JR in a recent interview clearly stated that Paxon would submit a choice and then the choice would be aprroved or disaproved by JR ( IMO the conduit).

Clearly Paxon recomended D"Antoni. Clearly Ownership was outbid by NY.

This other crap is like saying Pau wasn't that good anyway.
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#244 » by NYKBaller » Sat May 10, 2008 11:55 pm

just gotta see what happens...everything happens for a reason
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#245 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Sat May 10, 2008 11:58 pm

NYKBaller wrote:just gotta see what happens...everything happens for a reason

Is that what Isaiah would say
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,355

Post#246 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun May 11, 2008 12:02 am

Chi Dynasty12 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Is that what Isaiah would say

No he made the best excuses ever.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,331

Post#247 » by coldfish » Sun May 11, 2008 12:06 am

I am really ticked about this, but I was only lukewarm on D'Antoni.

My issue is that there is a very good chance at this point that the Bulls end up with a really, really bad coaching staff next year. Assistants are being gobbled up with experienced coaches.

Maybe its just me, but I see the idea of hiring people with no coaching experience whatsoever, or very little, to be a complete joke. Even if its not in the NBA, there is a certain rhythm to coaching a game. A way of dealing with players that you don't learn as a player.

This Bulls team will see through a joke coach quickly. They did with Boylan and they will with the next guy. This team has no strong positive leaders. A guy like Hughes is going to run roughshod over a newbie coach.

In summary: I didn't see D'Antoni as a great fit. I just saw him as the last chance before the abyss. If the Bulls do hire a newbie (not Thibo, but a guy with truly little experience), blow the team up. Shoot for 10 wins and start trying to assemble something for the future. I thought that D'Antoni could get through to the current players. I really don't see much else that is going to work.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#248 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Sun May 11, 2008 12:11 am

Part of my disappointment with not hiring Dan Tony stems from the clout he had and the reputation he had among players.

Players want to play for him - and FA's want to go to his teams.

Seriously though, forget the head coach, what the hell kind of assistants are we going to end up with if this thing stretches out much longer? Pete Myers and Ron Adams?
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
TB#1
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#249 » by TB#1 » Sun May 11, 2008 12:15 am

The reaction is predictable, I guess, and is mostly based on pent up frustration, but the whole, "I didn't want D'Antoni and don't think he would have been a good fit but I'm upset we didn't sign him because someone else did" argument is a little bit silly.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#250 » by Ralphb07 » Sun May 11, 2008 12:16 am

coldfish wrote:I am really ticked about this, but I was only lukewarm on D'Antoni.

My issue is that there is a very good chance at this point that the Bulls end up with a really, really bad coaching staff next year. Assistants are being gobbled up with experienced coaches.

Maybe its just me, but I see the idea of hiring people with no coaching experience whatsoever, or very little, to be a complete joke. Even if its not in the NBA, there is a certain rhythm to coaching a game. A way of dealing with players that you don't learn as a player.

This Bulls team will see through a joke coach quickly. They did with Boylan and they will with the next guy. This team has no strong positive leaders. A guy like Hughes is going to run roughshod over a newbie coach.

In summary: I didn't see D'Antoni as a great fit. I just saw him as the last chance before the abyss. If the Bulls do hire a newbie (not Thibo, but a guy with truly little experience), blow the team up. Shoot for 10 wins and start trying to assemble something for the future. I thought that D'Antoni could get through to the current players. I really don't see much else that is going to work.

Why you don't see Tyrone Corbin winning 50 games? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I think we can find something good out there, but it will definitely be a big big risk.

I really see us missing out on Thibo and that's what has me. From everything we know Thibo and Dantoni were Pax first two choices. Paxson had to know he would be battling Kerr for Thibo, so he should of been aware of us missing out on him.

That in mind is why I see Paxson or JR making a mistake. We go from D'Antoni to guys like Corbin and Jackson and crossing our fingers and praying for Thibo. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I'm smart enough to see that as being possible.

So is passing on Mike and waiting to hire a Jackson and Corbin worth it? If we land Thibo, then I will feel much better and say hey we dodged a bullet, but I just don't see that happening
Scott May
Head Coach
And1: 24

Post#251 » by Scott May » Sun May 11, 2008 12:18 am

TB#1 wrote:The reaction is predictable, I guess, and is mostly based on pent up frustration, but the whole, "I didn't want D'Antoni and don't think he would have been a good fit but I'm upset we didn't sign him because someone else did" argument is a little bit silly.

TB, just in case it gets lost in the shuffle, I wanted to commend you for your Dore-like love for the organization this afternoon. Well done.
bagsboy
Veteran
And1: 460

Post#252 » by bagsboy » Sun May 11, 2008 12:19 am

We got to follow Pax's plan...hire someone without experience.
sporadiclee
Sixth Man
And1: 75

Post#253 » by sporadiclee » Sun May 11, 2008 12:30 am

I agree with Ralphb07 and coldfish. There have been varying reports on money and philosophy issues, but one thing that's remained constant is Paxson's insistence of not sticking to a timetable. In the process of exploring all his options, he's letting a lot of them, both head coaches and assistant coaches, get away. This team was in a state of anarchy last year, and I can't find the logic in letting a first time or second tier coach lead the youngest, team in the league. Defense is important, but I'm not sure it outweighs the discrepancies in other areas that could exist (leadership, experience, etc). Plus, Thibo turned down a chance to be an assistant coach on this team a few years ago. Holding off your coaching search until you can talk to him is pretty risky.

This organization, from the owner to the GM, seem to operate under a "take it or leave it" mentality. It used to be baffling, but effective. Now it's just sad.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,331

Post#254 » by coldfish » Sun May 11, 2008 12:36 am

good posts Ralph, sporadiclee

Its not so much about D'Antoni as it is about the alternative. We saw with Boylan what *bad* coaching can do. The Bulls took one big step closer to completely rolling the dice on the next coach today.

I still believe that its simply not possible to be a good coach without several years sitting on the bench. I remember when Bird was hired as coach out of the blue. During timeouts, he would actually stand to the side as assistants told the players what to do. The results weren't bad, but the mechanics were ugly.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,295

Post#255 » by enigmatics » Sun May 11, 2008 12:37 am

derf wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Gee, perhaps JR was not authorized to make a long term multi million dollar offer without a vote from the other partners.

As predicted by none other then Derf. (Me).

The article doesn't say anything close to that.
Doofer
Lead Assistant
And1: 49

Post#256 » by Doofer » Sun May 11, 2008 12:37 am

Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#257 » by Ralphb07 » Sun May 11, 2008 12:41 am

coldfish wrote:good posts Ralph, sporadiclee

Its not so much about D'Antoni as it is about the alternative. We saw with Boylan what *bad* coaching can do. The Bulls took one big step closer to completely rolling the dice on the next coach today.

I still believe that its simply not possible to be a good coach without several years sitting on the bench. I remember when Bird was hired as coach out of the blue. During timeouts, he would actually stand to the side as assistants told the players what to do. The results weren't bad, but the mechanics were ugly.

My realgm dream has come true, Coldfish has actually liked something I posted :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#258 » by kyrv » Sun May 11, 2008 12:41 am

The Bulls were not going to be backed into a timetable as people tried to put the squeeze on them.

One can't really blame them.

Unless of course, someone can tell me that Pringles was/is an almost "sure thing".
Doofer
Lead Assistant
And1: 49

Post#259 » by Doofer » Sun May 11, 2008 12:43 am

Chi-TownBalla08 wrote:Money Talks Bull Sh*t Walks.....D'Antoni will regret that decision he made.

Agreed, he went were he thought he'd find fame and fortune and he'll end up getting nothing but hate in NY.
RyGuy24
General Manager
And1: 107

Post#260 » by RyGuy24 » Sun May 11, 2008 12:45 am

After blowing off a little steem, it ain't that bad. Give me a coach who gives the young guys a chance and gives us good defense, and i'll be satisfied since that's 30x better than what we were working with last season.
R.I.P Red , Norm, Bullsmaniac, and pdenninggolden.

Return to Chicago Bulls