Image ImageImage Image

SI: D'Antoni accepts offer to coach Knicks

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

girlygirl
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#61 » by girlygirl » Sat May 10, 2008 6:17 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:The Bulls will hire Mike Dunlap at 4 years/500 K.

They might have -- luckily, he's just agreed to go to University of Arizona as associate head coach
HINrichPolice
General Manager
And1: 1,706

Post#62 » by HINrichPolice » Sat May 10, 2008 6:17 pm

coldfish wrote:Hey John: Forget about what I said about you. I'm available and I'm cheap.

C'mon Mike McGraw, Kelly Dwyer, Chuck Swirsky, and anyone else that lurks here. Let's grease the wheels on this idea!
CONTENDERS FIND A WAY
bulletbill
Bench Warmer
And1: 84

Post#63 » by bulletbill » Sat May 10, 2008 6:17 pm

fleetwood macbull wrote:Reinsdorf should sell

I wish. Thing is, baseball is JR's first love, and his White Sox aren't the cash cow the Cubs are, so... he benefits from the Bulls profits and its why I believe he operates the way he does (won't say "cheap", but some might).
Now if he sold his share of the White Sux and put his entire focus on the Bulls, I believe he'd spend more and take more chances.

If CUBan buys the Cubs, I think JR could have a heart attack. Just think of the casual Cubbie blue wearing Cub fan adopting the Maverick blue...:lol:
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,040

Post#64 » by Wingy » Sat May 10, 2008 6:17 pm

HINrichPolice wrote:Wingy, whether or not you wanted D'Antoni, I think it's obvious that he became Paxson's first choice. Assuming that's true, it speaks volumes about our organization's willingness to spend money to do what's necessary to improve our team.

Mediocrity coinciding with Profit is a-okay if you're Bulls ownership. And that simply sucks balls if you're a Bulls fan.

You're a good poster and fan HP...perhaps too good....cause if it took this for you to finally realize that...you've probably been in denial for quite some time now.

I accepted it with Pau. I'm not upset though, I think the Knicks saved us from ourselves in this case.
Bulls1983
Rookie
And1: 75

Post#65 » by Bulls1983 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:18 pm

Hell coldfish, i would even pay to coach the Bulls! Beat that!
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#66 » by SportsWorld » Sat May 10, 2008 6:18 pm

So we miss out on:
-Kevin Garnett
-Kobe Bryant (Possibly)
-Pau Gasol
-Mike D'Antoni

Not a bad year to be a Bulls fan. If this trend continues I expect the Knicks to be in the Eastern Conference Finals next year.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,494

Post#67 » by Ballings7 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:19 pm

Don't mind either way...

Be interesting to see how things go now, though - not only with the Bulls, but the Knicks, too :)
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,866

Post#68 » by dougthonus » Sat May 10, 2008 6:19 pm

No skin off my balls - unless we end up with Johnson. On principle though, I am frustrated with the role money appears to have played. The team is wealthy enough to pay the guy the identify.

But in this case they identitied the wrong man, so the non-hire doesn't bother me too much. For now. I'll reserve total judgment once the Li'l General angle is resolved.

Agreed.

As long as we don't hire Avery Johnson, I will not fret over losing Mike D'Antoni.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
RyGuy24
General Manager
And1: 107

Post#69 » by RyGuy24 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:21 pm

Kevin Love it is.
R.I.P Red , Norm, Bullsmaniac, and pdenninggolden.
El Ridda
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#70 » by El Ridda » Sat May 10, 2008 6:21 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:Never understood why anyone wanted to hire a used car salesmen as the coach.

For real. While Reinsdorf didn't leave his meeting with D'Antoni with a new head coach, he strangely did walk away with a 1994 Chevy Corsica.

Jokes aside... I am seething.
Cup of Cognac, Hidden Dime Sack.
bobsampson
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#71 » by bobsampson » Sat May 10, 2008 6:21 pm

We're not gettin Thibo either he'll go the the Suns for more money... This ish is funny, wonder how pax and jr will try to spin this.. We're gonna get a cheap ass no name, no experience coach
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Post#72 » by suckfish » Sat May 10, 2008 6:21 pm

This is pretty much why I couldn't be bothered to join in all the Pringles discussion over last few weeks. I wanted to wait until it was official before I spent a good amount of time talking about the possibilities and future the bulls would have with Pringles.

I'm hardly surprised, but I'm not bothered about missing out on D'antoni specifically, instead more bothered about the fact that they wouldn't do enough to get a top coach. It's not Pringles I'm pissed about, I'm pissed at management for screwing up what seems to be everything lately.
HINrichPolice
General Manager
And1: 1,706

Post#73 » by HINrichPolice » Sat May 10, 2008 6:21 pm

Wingy wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You're a good poster and fan HP...perhaps too good....cause if it took this for you to finally realize that...you've probably been in denial for quite some time now.

I accepted it with Pau. I'm not upset though, I think the Knicks saved us from ourselves in this case.

Well, like you (or was it someone else in this thread), you said it best when you said you were numb to this news from all the dejection experienced from the past season.

Same here. Except with every chance to turn that around (paying money for the GM's first choice of coach) there exists a little glimmer of hope that things will change. Otherwise there would be no point in being a fan. Another blow taken. And yet, I'm still going to visit this board every day.
CONTENDERS FIND A WAY
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#74 » by jax98 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:23 pm

SportsWorld wrote:So we miss out on:
-Kevin Garnett
-Kobe Bryant (Possibly)
-Pau Gasol
-Mike D'Antoni

Not a bad year to be a Bulls fan. If this trend continues I expect the Knicks to be in the Eastern Conference Finals next year.

Oh please!

Do we honestly have to go through that again? KG wasn't being let go, Memphis didn't want what we offered and Kobe vetoed the deals we offered.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#75 » by SportsWorld » Sat May 10, 2008 6:23 pm

I expect the Suns to go after Thibodeau now. Do you guys think the Suns will spend more money on him than us?
El Ridda
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#76 » by El Ridda » Sat May 10, 2008 6:23 pm

HINrichPolice wrote:Wingy, whether or not you wanted D'Antoni, I think it's obvious that he became Paxson's first choice. Assuming that's true, it speaks volumes about our organization's willingness to spend money to do what's necessary to improve our team.

Mediocrity coinciding with Profit is a-okay if you're Bulls ownership. And that simply sucks balls if you're a Bulls fan.

My feelings exactly.
Cup of Cognac, Hidden Dime Sack.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 756

Post#77 » by Hold That » Sat May 10, 2008 6:24 pm

Wingy wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

+1

I don't get why everyone's so upset. I bet the Knicks have a honeymoon season next year and then after that, it's crapville again. I question this for Donnie Walsh...you take a whole cast of meatheads completely uninterested in playing defense and add a coach uninterested in teaching it....and on offense...these Knicks are a joke compared to the Suns' talent.

Exactly..

I should add this thread into my favorites.. 3 years from now when NYC media has ripped D'Antoni's coaching career to shreds. Claim that he failed with 4 All-Star calibre players in Amare,Marion,Nash and Joe Johnson in the past, and has been nothing but a failure in NYC.. Then we will see how some of you still feel about him..

NYC destroyed LB's rep in one years time. He's a Hall of Famer and Championhip coach. D'Antoni is none of those things..

D'Antoni just sold his coaching career for 24mil.. He will fail in NYC.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#78 » by Ralphb07 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:24 pm

It's not even the Suns for more money with Thibo, even if the Suns offered the same amount of money as the Bulls, Thibo is going to Phx. The Phx job is just so much better than the Bulls job. I guess Tyrone Corbin will be the new HC, seriously who else is out there. Paxson had to have in mind that Phx would be going after Thibo, I just can't believe the Bulls screwed this one up.
RyGuy24
General Manager
And1: 107

Post#79 » by RyGuy24 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:24 pm

Thib or JVG

and someone should call the Bulls to bitch and moan.
Q: How can I contact the Chicago Bulls?
A: Contact the Bulls at:
United Center
1901 West Madison Street
Chicago, IL 60612-2459
(312)455-4000
R.I.P Red , Norm, Bullsmaniac, and pdenninggolden.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,040

Post#80 » by Wingy » Sat May 10, 2008 6:24 pm

HINrichPolice wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Well, like you (or was it someone else in this thread), you said it best when you said you were numb to this news from all the dejection experienced from the past season.

Same here. Except with every chance to turn that around (paying money for the GM's first choice of coach) there exists a little glimmer of hope that things will change. Otherwise there would be no point in being a fan. Another blow taken. And yet, I'm still going to visit this board every day.

I've felt complete apathy towards the Bulls offseason. I poked my head in for some of the early coaching discussion...but with the whole D'Antoni thing lately, I haven't even had the desire to post. We're all sick, you're right...that's why fan is short for fanatic...I'll be paying attention when the draft rolls around, I'll be excited when the season starts...and I'll know that JR isn't committed to taking this team to the next level.

Return to Chicago Bulls