Image ImageImage Image

If we must.... DENG TRADES (merging)

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

Super Mario
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: If we must.... DENG TRADES 

Post#21 » by Super Mario » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:21 pm

i say we go after phillies A.I. that would be nice
Props to .gk.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,068

Post#22 » by Chi town » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:22 pm

In any trade with POR involving Deng POR will be getting the best player HANDS DOWN.

Deng is better than Outlaw and Bayless. Bayless has proven nothing more than he can get to the FT line 15 times per game in the summer league by guys who foul 10x's per game.
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#23 » by Leto » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:23 pm

Why are we giving up Deng at all? Id rather have Deng than Gordon.
thereacharound
Banned User

Post#24 » by thereacharound » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:28 pm

The Deng negotiations aren't going good...they arent necessarily going bad either. If Deng's negotiations are...say...taxing in circles on the runway...then well let's just say its safe to say Gordon's negotiations are out of gas on 294 on the way to the airport...and we are prolly never going to see at least 1 of these guys in a Bulls uni again...and although they might be a terrible thought to consider...I will go one step further...and here's that one small step out on the cliff with the other firmly on a banana peel as they say.

We dont really need either them.

We dont!

We have what might be the best back up 3 in the entire league in Nocioni...a very capable starter...a top 15 starter easy perhaps top ten and plays both sides of the ball...He was the best player on the argentinian team that was one shot away from defending its gold medal a few years ago before the foot bug hit...and he has been resting. We also have thabo sefolosha who can play the 3 and has been a force defensively and shown flashes that he can be solid offensively. Unlike Deng, Noc can play the 4 spot effectively. Unlike deng, Thabo can play both the 1 and 2 spots and in my mind effectively. Thabo is on a rookie deal and will not sniff much more than the mle at re-up time. Noc is signed to a very very fiscally responsible contract.

We have tyrus who really should be a 3...if he ever learns how to palyh basketball that is. And I did see him hit some jumpers in the summer league. And then there is the 3 point shooter, what'shispus, we got from cleveland that is like 6'8" or so.

The Chicago Bulls have a glut of small forwards moreso than PG's or SG's that is for sure...especially when you include Deng.

So if there is a team with cap space or trade exceptions that will take deng and give us some picks back al la Joe Johnson deal I'm all for it...in fact I never really liked the 22.9' jumper anyway. I like 23' jumpers that count for 3 points much moreso. He has no post game even in the very short spurts he was at the 2 over the years he never really took advantage of any hieght advantage and got some easy buckets ro drew double teams and kicked out for easy 3 pointers. He is a reluctant slasher and i never really saw any monster dunks on any breaks or anything either...in fact Nocioni still has the best fast break dunk of any recent Bull.

As for Gordon...let me see. At SG we have Kirk, thabo, Jameson and any Juan Dixon type out of college or off another roster at any point at any time at any juncture. A small shooting guard that likes to shoot is easy to find. Sure Gordon gets hot and in past years he did heat up in many a 4th quarter but if we never have a player that is "cold" or cant defend his position 90% of the tiem on the floor to begin with in quarters 1-3 then we might not need to be so hot in the 4th.

So there it is....I said it first and meant it! let them both walk and lets get some picks back in a sign and trade or some expirings or lets get on with a consolidation trade already. lets do a 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 for 1 or 2 already. Too bad Robert Horry is too old. Next best thing is prolly a Rasheed Wallace type or the man himself. Deng for Wallace straight up!

Rose/hinrich
thabo/Hughes (if i must include him?)
Noc/tyrus
Gooden/tyrus
Wallace/ Noah/ grey

In the paint we can pound with Grey and gooden. Shoot with rasheed and Noc. Slash with tyrus...have energy with Noah. The back court can defend and play the complete floor game...thabo and Rose just need to improve their shooting as Rose gets accustomed to the NBA game.

.thereacharound
Freshman

JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#25 » by JD45 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:36 pm

How about a deal with Portland:

Bulls send:
Deng
Hughes

Blazers send:
LaFrentz
Outlaw
Frye

Or you could have Webster instead of Frye. Webster can play SG.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
ballerkingn2
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#26 » by ballerkingn2 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:41 pm

bayliss isn't going to happen. Plus he doesn't play any D and has that t rex arm thing going on. I do think he will be a good player though. Por would be dumb to trade him to us.

But Outlaw does everything deng doesn't do well,and i actually wanted him when we traded for tyrus instead of VK. If we get him though he will make us forget about Deng trust and he can play his butt off on the Def end and with he and tyrus guarding the basket teams will have a hard time trying to score on us.

Still though i wouldn't give in to deng i just don't think he worth it. Will we maybe take a step back, sure. It not like we where going to be much better in a much improved east. So if portland comes up with a great offer,bye bye deng i say.
The ROY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#27 » by The ROY » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:42 pm

Outlaw would be a great compliment to Rose.

He plays above the rim, he's quick and he has range.

That kid's a beast
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,096

Post#28 » by MGB8 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:43 pm

I don't think Portland is shipping Bayless anywhere. Deng and Hughes for LaFrentz, one of Outlaw/Webster and, say, Sergio Rodriquez (who now lacks a role on that team) would be a livable return. I'd prefer getting Rudy Fernandez in such a trade (over Rodriquez), but given Portland's efforts to get Rudy, I doubt he's being put on the move. Then again, for Deng... It's better than losing Deng for nothing, certainly.
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#29 » by Jack wore plaid » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:44 pm

I guess I just have one question.

1. Why in the world would Portland give up players like Fernandez, Bayless or Outlaw to get Deng when they can just sign him next year without giving up anything?

Don't get me wrong, it's not that he isn't worth players like that or anything. I just don't think our GM would want to give up those particular players in order to get a player he could get for free the following season.

The Blazers need to thin their roster out, so I would imagine players like Webster, Przybilla, Frye, Rodriguez, Koponen, Diogu, Blake are more likely to be mentioned in trades for players that we could outright sign anyway the following year

In any case, good luck next year Bulls fans, and I hope management re-signs Deng. It always sucks to lose good players because of money.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,659

Post#30 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Portland will not give up any great value for Deng.Portland is happy with its roster as is.If Portland wants Deng they will lowball offer them this year(LaFrentz and next years first in a S&T) or wait until next season and sign him as a UFA.It would not make sense for Portland to do otherwise.
Bayless, especially after the summer league and Portlands desire to improve Roys backcourt running mate(whether Bayless plays the pg or is the sg with Roy as pg),is off limits.
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#31 » by Leto » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:51 pm

Jack wore plaid wrote:I guess I just have one question.

1. Why in the world would Portland give up players like Fernandez, Bayless or Outlaw to get Deng when they can just sign him next year without giving up anything?

Don't get me wrong, it's not that he isn't worth players like that or anything. I just don't think our GM would want to give up those particular players in order to get a player he could get for free the following season.

The Blazers need to thin their roster out, so I would imagine players like Webster, Przybilla, Frye, Rodriguez, Koponen, Diogu, Blake are more likely to be mentioned in trades for players that we could outright sign anyway the following year

In any case, good luck next year Bulls fans, and I hope management re-signs Deng. It always sucks to lose good players because of money.

Why? Because there's no way the Bulls are going to sign Gordon instead of Deng. We've got plenty of money for one of them and I can't see Paxson giving Gordon precedence over Deng. Most likely, it will be Deng signing a contract and Gordon on the QO.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,931

Post#32 » by biggestbullsfan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:51 pm

I would want Bayless but it woldnt work since him and Rose have similiar games.

The concept of an attacking two PG tadnom seems axciting with an outlaw, TT and Noah running with the team as well.

I dont know who we will trade if we trade deng, but I just hope we can package him as well as Hughes or him as well as Gordon for a good player or a contract that will come of the books so we can get a good free agent. If we can trade for Reaf Lafrentz contract next year, that seems good to me.
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Post#33 » by Joe Jackson » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:06 pm

Jack wore plaid wrote:I guess I just have one question.

Well, you are pretty wrong, Plaid, if you think the trailers are a cinch to sign Deng next year.

First of all Portland will not have that much cap room if they don't unload or renounce a bunch of their depth. Particularly if they were interested in trying to tie up LA or Roy or others with some early extentions. They have a bunch of people who they have team options on, but they also have some going on QO which will give them a big caphold problem on the salary cap unless they renounce them.

And there will be other bidders, probably including the Bulls who could actually outbid them if they were so inclined I guess.

Also, they get in a bidding war and overpay Deng then when LA, Roy, Oden and others have to be paid they will be in luxury tax penalties so deep their little small market team will never make it.

If they thought they even possibly wanted Deng, it would be far, far better for them to try to do a S&T for him to clear out some salary room and do a little roster consolidation which they need to do at the same time.

I am sure KP is on top of all those considerations although you seem to have no awareness of them, so actually it would behoove the Bulls for sadsack Pax to not get involved with Pritchard. That would be a mismatch of gargantuan proportions.
BballFanAddict
Analyst
And1: 36
Location: "The face of a child says a lot, especially the mouth part."

Post#34 » by BballFanAddict » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:22 pm

Coming from another Blazer fan, I think the value in most of the trades offered in this thread are fair; and, I am rather surprised by that being most are not equitable for both sides on RealGM. Kudos to Bulls fans.

I am just not sure why Chicago would want Bayless, except maybe as trade bait. In my opinion, it would seem Bayless is more a 2 than a 1, and therefore would best fit on a team that utilizes a large PG on offense that Defends the 2, while Bayless plays some PG, and plays even more off the ball, while defending the 1. This is why he is ideal in Portland, because Roy will handle a lot of the PG duties, as will Blake (who can reasonably guard the 2 spot). However, I could see Bayless and Hinrich playing together really well.

I personally value Deng a lot, and would be willing to part with significant assets to get him in a Sign and Trade. I guess it is possible to wait and see if he will be available in FA, but I think it is unlikely. Also, Portland really needs to consolidate talent. They do not need to do it now, because it may be best to stand pat and see who fits in this team, but, if a player like Deng comes on the trade market it may behoove KP to act now.

I like this type of speculation because there is not much else to do in the offseason, but I fully expect the Bulls to re-sign Deng and make this thread a moot point

Good luck Bulls fans.
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#35 » by bullzman23 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:22 pm

Travis Outlaw on his own has a lot of potential. I can't see them giving Outlaw + Bayless.

LaFrentz + Outlaw is probably as good as it'll get. This is a S&T. We're not going to get anything close to equal value.

There's a case to be made that Outlaw has more potential than Deng, and seems on the surface like he'd be a good fit next to Rose. As we've witnessed first hand, unlike Deng, Outlaw is willing to take big shots.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 756

Post#36 » by Hold That » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:28 pm

Jerryd Bayless is a GUN, too the fullest extent and stops any ball movement this team might have. Probably one of the worst players you would pair with Rose. Not that he's a bad player but the kid is a ball hog if I've ever seen one, even his 'Zona teammates complained about this.

Allen Iverson 2.0
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#37 » by bullzman23 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:33 pm

If we've decided to let both Gordon and Deng go (which would be dumb), then we could do a helluva lost worse than getting Webster and Outlaw

Gooden/Gray
Thomas/Noah
Outlaw/Thabo
Webster/Hughes
Rose/Hinrich

That's not terrible...
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,881

Post#38 » by dougthonus » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:33 pm

You don't know you'll get him next year, and you already have too crowded a roster. You're going to need to give up some players anyway, and while your owner probably has among the deepest pockets in the league, even he will likely have some limits. You aren't going to be able to pay everyone big money. Once you had Deng how good is Outlaw to you anyway really? It's also worth noting that Outlaw will be an unrestricted free agent soon and could just bolt for nothing which also limits his value at least somewhat.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#39 » by girlygirl » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:46 pm

Chi town wrote:Bayless could be better than Deng in the future. It would give the Bulls a strength at position of weakness around the league... PG.

I would not do any other trade with POR, Bayless is the center piece or no deal.

WHY Because Bayless is the greatest asset. He could be combined with other assets moving forward to get a superstar.

Bayless showed at the Vegas Summer league that he is an off-guard, NOT a PG. That said, he looks like a very good prospect -- and one that the Blazers are highly unlikely to trade anytime soon.

The Bulls would be better off, and likely have a more receptive trade partner, if they asked for Rodriguez or Kopenen -- two intriguing young PG prospects who arent likely to play much for Portland this year but who have some real upside. So LaFrentz, Outlaw (or Webster) & either Kopenen or Rodriguez for Deng.

That might now seem like great value, but both Outlaw and Webster improved last season and could fill the SF spot. Both are athletic and better outside shooters than Deng. They are also similar in age range. The Bulls would also get LaFrentz's expiring deal and a young PG prospect to try and groom who could eventually be Rose's primary backup.
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Post#40 » by TBpup » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:47 pm

In full disclosure, I'm a Blazer fan with a contact or two both here in Portland and also in Chicago...but that is another story.

I saw that Portland's name had come up a lot in trade scenarios with Chicago in regards to Deng and that Outlaw and Bayless were most often mentioned. So for comparisons sake, I ran Outlaw and Deng's per 40 minute averages. I was surprised with what came up:

..............PPG....REB...Asst....Blk.....FG%.....FT%....3Pt%
Outlaw.....19.9...6.89...1.95..1.12.. .433 .. .741 .. .396
L. Deng.....20.1...7.45...2.95.. .59.. .479 .. .770 .. .364

For all the money Deng will want, that doesn't seem to be a very big upgrade. Those are Deng's numbers as a main part of the Bull's offense, Outlaw is picking up his on the 2nd unit. What Pritchard would or would not include, who knows. I can tell you from here, Travis is close to being an untouchable based on his ability, youth, production and inexpensive contract.

:starwars

Return to Chicago Bulls