Image ImageImage Image

If we must.... DENG TRADES (merging)

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Re: If we must.... DENG TRADES 

Post#41 » by bullzman23 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:49 pm

Any way you could give us an inside scoop on the Bulls? :)
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#42 » by Jack wore plaid » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:03 pm

Joe Jackson wrote:
Jack wore plaid wrote:I guess I just have one question.

1. Why in the world would Portland give up players like Fernandez, Bayless or Outlaw to get Deng when they can just sign him next year without giving up anything?

Don't get me wrong, it's not that he isn't worth players like that or anything. I just don't think our GM would want to give up those particular players in order to get a player he could get for free the following season.

The Blazers need to thin their roster out, so I would imagine players like Webster, Przybilla, Frye, Rodriguez, Koponen, Diogu, Blake are more likely to be mentioned in trades for players that we could outright sign anyway the following year

In any case, good luck next year Bulls fans, and I hope management re-signs Deng. It always sucks to lose good players because of money.

Well, you are pretty wrong, Plaid, if you think the trailers are a cinch to sign Deng next year.

First of all Portland will not have that much cap room if they don't unload or renounce a bunch of their depth. Particularly if they were interested in trying to tie up LA or Roy or others with some early extentions. They have a bunch of people who they have team options on, but they also have some going on QO which will give them a big caphold problem on the salary cap unless they renounce them.

And there will be other bidders, probably including the Bulls who could actually outbid them if they were so inclined I guess.

Also, they get in a bidding war and overpay Deng then when LA, Roy, Oden and others have to be paid they will be in luxury tax penalties so deep their little small market team will never make it.

If they thought they even possibly wanted Deng, it would be far, far better for them to try to do a S&T for him to clear out some salary room and do a little roster consolidation which they need to do at the same time.

I am sure KP is on top of all those considerations although you seem to have no awareness of them, so actually it would behoove the Bulls for sadsack Pax to not get involved with Pritchard. That would be a mismatch of gargantuan proportions.

Renouncing Blake, Webster, and Diogu (Webster and Diogu are the cap hold players) along with the expiring contracts of Lafrentz and Francis would give Portland somewhere around 14 million...assuming they can sign Frye to a QO and he accepts it. And that's only if Miles returns. If he doesn't Portland wouldn't really need to renounce anyone if they all accepted extensions.

It's not like Portland would have to renounce a ton pf players.

I also understand that Portland would not be the only suiter for Deng, but assuming the money would be the same....and if they want him it would be, why wouldn't he want to come to Portland? Young team, great owner, good city, sellouts.
BballFanAddict
Analyst
And1: 36
Location: "The face of a child says a lot, especially the mouth part."

Post#43 » by BballFanAddict » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:07 pm

Jack wore plaid wrote:
Joe Jackson wrote:
Jack wore plaid wrote:I guess I just have one question.

1. Why in the world would Portland give up players like Fernandez, Bayless or Outlaw to get Deng when they can just sign him next year without giving up anything?

Don't get me wrong, it's not that he isn't worth players like that or anything. I just don't think our GM would want to give up those particular players in order to get a player he could get for free the following season.

The Blazers need to thin their roster out, so I would imagine players like Webster, Przybilla, Frye, Rodriguez, Koponen, Diogu, Blake are more likely to be mentioned in trades for players that we could outright sign anyway the following year

In any case, good luck next year Bulls fans, and I hope management re-signs Deng. It always sucks to lose good players because of money.

Well, you are pretty wrong, Plaid, if you think the trailers are a cinch to sign Deng next year.

First of all Portland will not have that much cap room if they don't unload or renounce a bunch of their depth. Particularly if they were interested in trying to tie up LA or Roy or others with some early extentions. They have a bunch of people who they have team options on, but they also have some going on QO which will give them a big caphold problem on the salary cap unless they renounce them.

And there will be other bidders, probably including the Bulls who could actually outbid them if they were so inclined I guess.

Also, they get in a bidding war and overpay Deng then when LA, Roy, Oden and others have to be paid they will be in luxury tax penalties so deep their little small market team will never make it.

If they thought they even possibly wanted Deng, it would be far, far better for them to try to do a S&T for him to clear out some salary room and do a little roster consolidation which they need to do at the same time.

I am sure KP is on top of all those considerations although you seem to have no awareness of them, so actually it would behoove the Bulls for sadsack Pax to not get involved with Pritchard. That would be a mismatch of gargantuan proportions.

Renouncing Blake, Webster, and Diogu (Webster and Diogu are the cap hold players) along with the expiring contracts of Lafrentz and Francis would give Portland somewhere around 14 million...assuming they can sign Frye to a QO and he accepts it. And that's only if Miles returns. If he doesn't Portland wouldn't really need to renounce anyone if they all accepted extensions.

It's not like Portland would have to renounce a ton pf players.

I also understand that Portland would not be the only suiter for Deng, but assuming the money would be the same....and if they want him it would be, why wouldn't he want to come to Portland? Young team, great owner, good city, sellouts.

Assuming it is likely Miles does sign with another team, and that we will have to renounce players to free cap space to lure a player like Deng, would it not behoove us to eliminate all competition and do a sign and trade for him instead? If we have to renounce players, why not trade them instead; and, if it is for Deng, would it not relegate Webster and or Outlaw to bench duty?

In my opinion, Portland needs to consolidate some of this talent. But, I do not think it has to be right now. However, if Deng was on Prithcard's radar all along, I would not be surprised to see him make a move instead of waiting for FA.
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,160

Post#44 » by SHO'NUFF » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:19 pm

What's so special about Outlaw? 27mpg .433 FG% 13.3ppg. Who cares about potential right now....half the players in the NBA have potential.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man

Post#45 » by Jack wore plaid » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:21 pm

Yes we should try and trade for him.

No we shouldn't give up one of our main pieces for him

I mean it's not like Deng is going to come in and be the best player on the team or anything. He is a piece, and that's it. If we can't get him then go after someone else. Deng is better than any SF on our roster, but Outlaw is close enough that Deng probably wouldn't be the difference in getting to the playoffs if you exchanged him for Outlaw and other pieces.
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man

Post#46 » by Jack wore plaid » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:24 pm

SHO'NUFF wrote:What's so special about Outlaw? 27mpg .433 FG% 13.3ppg. Who cares about potential right now....half the players in the NBA have potential.

If you project him out to the same minutes that Deng has his numbers are similar. (Deng's are better) He's a lot younger, and Deng's minutes would go down as well on our team.

Outlaw hasn't reached his full potential, but he has reached some of it. He is one of the best clutch scorers in the league as well.

Per 48 cause it's easier

Deng 24.1 ppg Outlaw 24.0
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#47 » by JD45 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:25 pm

Bayless has signed his rookie contract, so can't be traded until December. So he is not a possible trading chip for Deng.

http://www.nba.com/news/baylesssigns_080709.html

Blazers Sign First-Round Pick Bayless
Posted Jul 9 2008 8:50PM
Print E-mail RSS Feeds E-News Sign Up Share on Facebook
Get a Taste of the NBA Draft for Yourself

* Trail Blazers Home

PORTLAND, Ore., July 9 – The Portland Trail Blazers signed rookie guard Jerryd Bayless, it was announced today by general manager Kevin Pritchard. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

The Trail Blazers acquired Bayless, along with Ike Diogu, from Indiana in a Draft Day trade that sent Jarrett Jack, Josh McRoberts, the draft rights to Brandon Rush and cash considerations to the Pacers.

Bayless, 19, posted averages of 19.7 points (third in Pac-10), 2.7 rebounds and 4.0 assists while shooting 83.9 percent from the free throw line and 40.7 percent from 3-point range in his lone collegiate season at the University of Arizona. The 6-3, 200-pound guard earned Second Team All-Pac-10 and All-Freshman Team honors, was an Associated Press All-American Honorable Mention and was a finalist for the Wooden Award.

He will begin practicing this evening with the Trail Blazers’ NBA Summer League team, which opens up play in Las Vegas Monday, July 14, against the Washington Wizards.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,142

Post#48 » by cucad8 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:29 pm

Bayless has signed a contract already with portland, thus making a sign and trade for Deng, including Bayless impossible.
Yoda77
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#49 » by Yoda77 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:34 pm

I'd do that trade in a Portland minute, long before giving Deng $60 mil even. Then shop Gordon and see what turns up. That trade picture becomes much clearer with the roster more set.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,142

Post#50 » by cucad8 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:35 pm

Jack wore plaid wrote:He's a lot younger, and Deng's minutes would go down as well on our team.

Actually, Deng is younger than outlaw, believe it or not.
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man

Post#51 » by Jack wore plaid » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:37 pm

cucad8 wrote:
Jack wore plaid wrote:He's a lot younger, and Deng's minutes would go down as well on our team.

Actually, Deng is younger than outlaw, believe it or not.

I actually knew that. I have no idea what I was thinking. LOL :lol:
BullsIn20Ten
Freshman

Post#52 » by BullsIn20Ten » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:08 pm

I Never thought id say this but i almost wish we had beasley....

Hinrich
Hughes
Beasley
Gooden
Noah

Then sign and trade Deng/Gordon and get a Great SG or C
Rose is the next big thing. Just wait...
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,881

Post#53 » by dougthonus » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:20 pm

Bayless has signed his rookie contract, so can't be traded until December. So he is not a possible trading chip for Deng.

For free agent's it's december.

For rookies it's 30 days. So Bayless can't be traded until August 8th. However, a trade could easily be agreed to and made official on that day.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
bagsboy
Veteran
And1: 460

Post#54 » by bagsboy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:35 pm

BullsIn20Ten wrote:I Never thought id say this but i almost wish we had beasley....

Hinrich
Hughes
Beasley
Gooden
Noah

I wanted Rose too but.....
Without Deng and Gordon's offense, Beasley would have been a better pick.
Deng.....17ppg
Gordon....19ppg
(Added numbers to avoid a PM)
BullsIn20Ten
Freshman

Post#55 » by BullsIn20Ten » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:57 pm

bagsboy wrote:
BullsIn20Ten wrote:I Never thought id say this but i almost wish we had beasley....

Hinrich
Hughes
Beasley
Gooden
Noah

I wanted Rose too but.....
Without Deng and Gordon's offense, Beasley would have been a better pick.
Deng.....17ppg
Gordon....19ppg
(Added numbers to avoid a PM)

exactly what i was saying... this talk isnt looking good and i think deng is going to be unhappy in chicago if he takes the QO or signs a longer contract because our management is horrible right now

there are alot of great SF's on the market right now that could be attainable depending on what we are willing to give up (IMO, everyone but rose) my first three would be
Rudy Gay
Andre Iguodala
Josh Smith
Rose is the next big thing. Just wait...
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#56 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:34 pm

As a blazer fan, I can't help but participate here...

First, I'd think the Bulls would be making a mistake by not bending a little and extending Deng, even if it's for a couple million more then their 'final offer'.

But if they do decide that Deng needs to be in a S & T, I'd add some observations based on posts in this thread.

First, the cap-space numbers here are off by quite a bit for portland next summer. If Miles is still off the books (and I think there's a good chance he would be even if he does play next season) then the Blazers will have well over 20 million in cap space(maybe as much as 25 million), and that's with either webster or frye re-signed for 5 million a year. And they would still have other options to develop more. (this assumes diogu and rodriguez are renounced)

Portland, IMO, won't be adding either Bayless or Fernandez to the package, but would possibly be willing to take Hughes as the BYC differential filler.

Something like lafrentz, one of outlaw/webster, Diogu and a future 1st for Deng and Hughes may be the best the Bulls could do. But I don't know that Portland's GM would agree with the leverage he'll have next summer with all that cap-space.

Deng would be a good fit on portland but he wouldn't be a great fit, at least on the offensive end. His weakness from the 3pt line is a glaring deficiency as far as portland is concerned. With Oden and Aldridge in a double post, and Roy's dribble penetration, portland's SF really needs to be able to stretch defenses and keep them honest. Deng isn't ideal for that.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#57 » by Rerisen » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:38 pm

Deng does seem like possible overkill for Portland. They need a defender and a shooter there I would think, more like a Battier type than a Deng that wants 12 million.

The Bulls return on these deals are no better than what we were talking about for Hinrich not so long ago. I don't know how any Bulls fan could find solace in them.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#58 » by Hangtime84 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:38 pm

good post wizenheimer

But it won't end this Deng to Portland disscussions :nonono:
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Bully6Chicago
Sophomore

Post#59 » by Bully6Chicago » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:53 am

Chi town wrote:If JR won't budge, I agree with McGraw that it is better to trade Deng now then watch him walk to POR next year for nothing.

In that case....

Deng and Noc for Bayless, Outlaw, LaFrentz

This gives the Bulls a replacement for Deng in Outlaw that is young, still improving, can shoot the 3 ball and can get his own shot IMO better than Deng. Although Deng is the better player. The Bulls also get Bayless who seems to be a MORE SLASHING LESS 3 SHOOTING version of Gordon with a handle.

This also gives the Bulls cap room moving forward. IMO the Bulls won't get better value than that for Deng. Bayless could end up being the best player in the deal too and Outlaw if given 35mpg could probably put up Deng's 18 and 7 numbers as last year he put up 14 and 5 in 26mins.

The Bulls could then S&T Gordon in a package or elect to ship out Kirk. Either way the Bulls get more assets on cheaper contracts.

The only question is whether or not KP will give up Bayless. IMO he would be stupid to not give him up considering he lucked out in the draft getting him anyway.

We shall see.....

yes we shall why would we trade for bayless , outlaw and frenchie? I dont see how that is helping the Bulls? In fact we give up a starter and our one of our better bench players for a rookie , a half ass player and a nobody? I dont see that at all why not deng for Aldridge straight up and keep Noc
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,068

Post#60 » by Chi town » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:02 am

1. Bayless would be used for future trade bait or as a replacement for Gordon if he is sent packing

2. Deng is better than Outlaw and I don't care what the PER says either. There is a reason that Outlaw only played 26mpg on a non playoff team at SF with another SF not even as good as Noc.

My personal preference is.....

Noc, Hughes, Deng For LaFrentz, Bayless, Outlaw and Rudy

That won't happen but that is what I would be looking for. The above trade probably would work if you pulled out Noc and replaced him with Kirk.

If I'm KP I'd take Kirk and Deng along with Hughes for one year and then expiring to have a starting lineup of

Kirk
Roy
Deng
Aldridge
Oden

That's the best 5 in the league hands down.

Return to Chicago Bulls