Image ImageImage Image

PM the mods! Courtesy of doughnuts!

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

PM the mods! Courtesy of doughnuts! 

Post#1 » by suckfish » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:56 am

While the PM function is currently available, you can contact the mods on the following email address:

PM US

Hopefully, PM's will be back sometime in the RIGHT NOW, but in the meanwhile this should make communication between you guys and us moderators that much easier.

dougthonus can be reached by leaving a comment on the bullsbeat.com comment form on the front page. He's also magical and can fly.

Edits by Brooklyn
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Re: Contact the mods. 

Post#2 » by jax98 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:32 am

Not to rant, but I think it's completely unacceptable that RealGM has not fixed the PM function. It's been months now. The site is realy beginning to look half-arsed, which is really a shame.

That respective team moderators has to create an e-mail account to keep in touch with posters is something that shouldn't happen. Period!
lou4gehrig
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#3 » by lou4gehrig » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:18 pm

Yeah, those mods are really ripping you off of that subscription fee you're paying. You're right to complain Morton. :roll:
jax98
RealGM

Post#4 » by jax98 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:30 pm

The mods are ripping me off?

What the hell are you talking about?

You do realise I have zero issues with the mod staff but I have major issues with the new RealGM. Seriously, read before you post.
Bullsville
Banned User

Post#5 » by Bullsville » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:01 pm

Morten Jensen wrote:The mods are ripping me off?

What the hell are you talking about?

You do realise I have zero issues with the mod staff but I have major issues with the new RealGM. Seriously, read before you post.

I think what he was trying to say is that we don't really have any room to complain about any feature that isn't working, since the site is completely free to us.

Besides, all the really important posters on the Bulls board are supplied with the private e-mail addresses of all of our mods- sorry to hear that you apparently didn't make the list. :wink:
jax98
RealGM

Post#6 » by jax98 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:14 pm

The forum was fine as it was. It was changed and we're not allowed to be upset that it doesn't work? Unless I'm mistaken, RealGM tried this new design because they thought it would upgrade the enjoyment of our visit here. For a lot of people, it did quite the opposite.

This site has well over 10,000 regular posters. None of whom can send PM's. You would at least expect them to fix that over a span of two-three months.

They also haven't fixed the bug that deletes posts.

IIRC, I think even our own mods TB & Coldfish have been on the feedback thread voicing their opinion strongly to the higher powers.

Edit: I saved this post before I hit submit. Good thing I did.
Bullsville
Banned User

Post#7 » by Bullsville » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:25 pm

I agree, I liked the old forums better, and it's a pain in the ass to have to copy each and every one of my posts before I hit 'submit'- but I don't bother getting upset about it, since it's a free site.

I save my "upsetness" for stuff that I pay for- i.e., if my cable goes out for 5 minutes, I'm on the phone or online chat with Comcast demanding a credit for the day for my trouble. And they have to listen, because I can always go elsewhere for my cable and phone and internet service.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to be upset about it, go right ahead, it's certainly your right and it's no skin off my back. JMSO that when something is free, you get what you pay for.

I'm just grateful that we have such a great forum where we can discuss the Bulls, and of course the world's greatest mods in the history of the internet. And it doesn't cost us a penny.
jax98
RealGM

Post#8 » by jax98 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Well, you've never seen me complain about the mods, I believe. I think it's unacceptable that it's taken RGM this long to adjust the PM service that our own mods have to go out and make some kind of reach out on their own.IMO, that shouldn't be necessary.

Don't get me wrong, I also appreciate it's free. But the amount of posters here is what makes RealGM popular in the first place. If the quality of the board goes down, it's common sense that some posters would switch boards. So while I agree that 'you get what you pay for' that line also works the other way. If RGM doesn't fix their bugs, they'll be losing posters.

Now, I have confidence in RGM to fix these bugs. I understand a new system takes time to understand. But I don't see how it can take months to fix a PM problem. Isn't there phpBB support somewhere?
Bullsville
Banned User

Post#9 » by Bullsville » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:43 pm

So while I agree that 'you get what you pay for' that line also works the other way. If RGM doesn't fix their bugs, they'll be losing posters.

Now, I have confidence in RGM to fix these bugs. I understand a new system takes time to understand. But I don't see how it can take months to fix a PM problem. Isn't there phpBB support somewhere?

Agreed, I would think they would want to fix the bugs as to not lose posters. But who knows, maybe with so many people using Firefox to block their ads anyway, it doesn't matter if they lose posters? :dontknow:
jax98
RealGM

Post#10 » by jax98 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:51 pm

That's kind of a double-egded sword. Using firefox apparently limits the bugs. On FF, you can hit the back button and the post you've written will re-appear. This does not work with IE.

I don't know. I just think it's taking a long time to fix things on a forum that really didn't need fixing. If they had to make the switch due to server restrictions, then I at least understand it some. But you would think they would have done their research on the new design so they could jump right into it?
TyrusRose2425
Head Coach
And1: 4,591

Post#11 » by TyrusRose2425 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:57 pm

Morten Jensen wrote:That's kind of a double-egded sword. Using firefox apparently limits the bugs. On FF, you can hit the back button and the post you've written will re-appear. This does not work with IE.

I don't know. I just think it's taking a long time to fix things on a forum that really didn't need fixing. If they had to make the switch due to server restrictions, then I at least understand it some. But you would think they would have done their research on the new design so they could jump right into it?

lol man these new boards don't allow me to login on my laptop

thats why i'm almost never on here
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,860

Post#12 » by dougthonus » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:00 pm

The forum was fine as it was. It was changed and we're not allowed to be upset that it doesn't work? Unless I'm mistaken, RealGM tried this new design because they thought it would upgrade the enjoyment of our visit here. For a lot of people, it did quite the opposite.

The old site really wasn't fine. There were a lot of speed issues that they could never fix, ever, on the old site. The new site allowed them do do things that would fix a lot of the issues going on, but it also caused a lot of issues.

There are a lot of things I disagree with about how things get run, but the concept of moving to the new PHP isn't one of them. We'd all have appreciated somewhat better execution though.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Post#13 » by Three34 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:11 pm

Put an R in this thread title and I'm down.
jax98
RealGM

Post#14 » by jax98 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:11 pm

dougthonus wrote:
The old site really wasn't fine. There were a lot of speed issues that they could never fix, ever, on the old site. The new site allowed them do do things that would fix a lot of the issues going on, but it also caused a lot of issues.

There are a lot of things I disagree with about how things get run, but the concept of moving to the new PHP isn't one of them. We'd all have appreciated somewhat better execution though.

I wrote:If they had to make the switch due to server restrictions, then I at least understand it some. But you would think they would have done their research on the new design so they could jump right into it?

I understand why they made the switch. But can't you upgrade the software and maintain the same skins, PM settings and general settings?
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,860

Post#15 » by dougthonus » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:05 pm

I understand why they made the switch. But can't you upgrade the software and maintain the same skins, PM settings and general settings?

The skin thing I agree with.

The rest, well, realgm made craploads of customizations for phpbb, and they need to remake every single one of them for the new phpbb. It's not a matter of just plugging in something, all the work needs to be redone.

I hear what you are saying. I think the goal was that if they switched in the off season the bugs would be worked out by the time the NBA season starts and it really matters the most.

However, I agree that it's odd that there were features that weren't converted, since you knew about those ahead of time. I mean bugs come up, so you can't fix those until after you switch while features should just work all the time and should have been fixed first. That being said, there are a lot of trade offs from them as well. Who is going to do the work to fix everything and when do they have time to do it?

You have to remember, the people out there making decisions are doing so because they WANT to deliver the best product they can to you. Not all information on why certain choices are made is inherently obvious, but the goal is to deliver to you, the end user. It doesn't mean mistakes or bad decisions aren't ever made, but it's not that fair to criticize them without really knowing the different obstacles in front of the people doing the work.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
jax98
RealGM

Post#16 » by jax98 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:09 pm

Fair point.

I don't feel I really am criticizing their dedication to improving the site, but moreso their inability to not fix these bugs after a few months. I understand bugs comes up, and I understand this is a new format they need to get used to. But I really feel you should go all-in and not do it half-arsed. Now, I'll gladly take that comment back if I learned they had sever issues with the PM function and the deleting bug. But since there has no been no big announcement about it, I'm enclined to view it as not being done as well as it could.

Unless I'm mistaken, the users also gives RealGM the hits and publicity they want. We are 10,000 (I think a lot more, actually) regular posters. So I look at it as a two-way street. RealGM gives us a place to have great discussions and we pay them back by visiting several times each day and clicking their ads.

As a complete side-note; I thought they had a web-developer handling the forums. If it is someone who's doing this out of interest and his own willingness, then I am definitely more acceptable to this.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the forum (otherwise I wouldn't be returning) but I do feel there are some cracks in the concrete that makes the site less attractive as before. Perhaps I'm just being impatient, but if I ran a popular web-site I'd likely do whatever's necessary to fix the bugs ASAP. If this is what they're doing, I won't complain.

But I'd appreciate updates from the RGM team. No hearing anything about the lack of major keys such as the PM function is a tad unprofessional.
Grand Champ
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#17 » by Grand Champ » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:20 pm

What happened to the search function? :(
bulls4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 571

Post#18 » by bulls4ever » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:01 pm

hey guys, send a email requesting an information. Hope you guys can answer that to me.
seya
Call 911, the tank is dying alive, tank you very much

WindyCityBorn wrote:If JJJ and Bamba end up better barring injuries I'll eat a piece of a shoe!
Sk23
Banned User

Post#19 » by Sk23 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:11 pm

Some idiot mod threaten to suspend me for saying **** Utah,While there some Jazz fan wishing Rose dead or pratically doing the same thing..Talk about being fair.
JackFinn
RealGM
And1: 1,605

Post#20 » by JackFinn » Thu Dec 4, 2008 4:26 pm

Can a mod check the email? Thanks.

Return to Chicago Bulls