Image ImageImage Image

Blazers board: Blazers in talks with East team for PG and SF

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,399

Re: Blazers board: Blazers in talks with East team for PG and SF 

Post#341 » by coldfish » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:04 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:I probably missed it, but why would Atlanta want to give up Bibby and Williams, when they're sitting at #4 in the East? There's really not much reason for them to make a trade like this.

I was wondering that. For a franchise like Atlanta, I would be shocked if they gave up big expirings of productive players on a good team for scraps.

I take that back. No team is going to do that.

One interesting note to this, if Portland trades Raef for salary, that's one less team with cap room. They may not have been interested in Gordon, but now you have the same number of free agents chasing a lot less money.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#342 » by Ralphb07 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:11 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:I probably missed it, but why would Atlanta want to give up Bibby and Williams, when they're sitting at #4 in the East? There's really not much reason for them to make a trade like this.

That's what I was saying a couple of pages ago. The only way it makes sense is if the two guys going to Atlanta are Rudy and Bayless. Other than that it's completely pointless. That is why I really think the team is the Bulls.

Also isn't the whole point for the Blazers to make a trade with Raef is to get players since Miles screws up there FA money? I guess they could re sign Williams and Bibby and that would work but still Atlanta would be so dumb to trade two productive expirings for one can't play expiring
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#343 » by MAQ » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:12 pm

theanimal23 wrote:

No one that is a non-Blazers fan understands the incentive for Altanta. It's not like someone is going to pay Marvin Williams a lot of money. And Bibby won't get more than the MLE. They are on cap for $40 million next year. They can resign both.

Especially with them doing well two years in a row after not having fans attend their games for ages....

i think atlanta feels they have no chance at resigning bibby despite being a very respectable team

i also guess they feel marvin has no place there for what he brings
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#344 » by Red Larrivee » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:15 pm

maq25060 wrote:i think atlanta feels they have no chance at resigning bibby despite being a very respectable team

I'm not seeing how they have no chance. Bibby and Marvin aren't going to pan out to highly lucrative deals, and the Hawks still want to be a good team or risk losing Joe Johnson in FA. Bibby/Joe-Joe seems to work, Marvin's done well at the 3, so why lose it?
MAQ
RealGM

Post#345 » by MAQ » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:21 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
maq25060 wrote:i think atlanta feels they have no chance at resigning bibby despite being a very respectable team

I'm not seeing how they have no chance. Bibby and Marvin aren't going to pan out to highly lucrative deals, and the Hawks still want to be a good team or risk losing Joe Johnson in FA. Bibby/Joe-Joe seems to work, Marvin's done well at the 3, so why lose it?

well, bibby was asked on NBATV if he thought he would resign in atlanta and while he didnt just flat out say "Hell No"...he didnt even try to make an attempt like he would resign a la ben gordon
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#346 » by BrooklynBulls » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:23 pm

What exactly did he say?
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#347 » by Red Larrivee » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:26 pm

maq25060 wrote:well, bibby was asked on NBATV if he thought he would resign in atlanta and while he didnt just flat out say "Hell No"...he didnt even try to make an attempt like he would resign a la ben gordon

I wouldn't take much from that, it's not like Bibby is getting treated badly there.

The market for him isn't going to be another 10M deal, so there's a good chance he's back in ATL next season. But either way, the Hawks probably aren't going to trade him unless it's a clear upgrade. They're #4, and they want to make a playoff run. And Bibby's been playing some great ball this year, and will help that cause.
MAQ
RealGM

Post#348 » by MAQ » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:26 pm

BrooklynBulls wrote:What exactly did he say?

i think it was webber that asked him (you know how players feel comfortable amongst each other) and bibby just sat there laughing then payton drops his usual loud annoying 2 cents (you know he's not going back there)...and that's when bibby finally speaks up and doesnt even attempt to answer the question and just says he's having fun there despite him being older he feels like he's just one of the young guys...
MAQ
RealGM

Post#349 » by MAQ » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:28 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
maq25060 wrote:well, bibby was asked on NBATV if he thought he would resign in atlanta and while he didnt just flat out say "Hell No"...he didnt even try to make an attempt like he would resign a la ben gordon

I wouldn't take much from that, it's not like Bibby is getting treated badly there.

The market for him isn't going to be another 10M deal, so there's a good chance he's back in ATL next season. But either way, the Hawks probably aren't going to trade him unless it's a clear upgrade. They're #4, and they want to make a playoff run. And Bibby's been playing some great ball this year, and will help that cause.

ehhh...if a player doesnt want to be some where he can go and be stuck in mediocrity to good some place else while being paid 6 mil a year...and it really sounded like bibby didnt want to be there

if he's not going to stay, and atlanta's well aware, i'd try to get something for him too
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#350 » by BrooklynBulls » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Was it an NBATV interview with Bibby wearing one of those big headsets? TONS of players don't answer questions because they often don't hear them well. I don't know if it was different with Bibby, but I've seen like 10 of those things where the player answers a question entirely nonsensically until you understand that they misheard it.
MAQ
RealGM

Post#351 » by MAQ » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:34 pm

yeah, it was one of those...bibby heard him though...thus the laughing, plus he dropped the good ole "we'll have to wait and see" line...but hey, we'll believe what we want to...

im not saying i know what's going on...but i never got the feeling that bibby wanted to be with the hawks...and if that is the basis of their trade, then it makes sense to try and get something for him instead of just letting him him walk
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#352 » by BrooklynBulls » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:36 pm

Webber: You going to resign with Atlanta?

Bibby: HAHAAHAHAHAHAHA.

This is the picture you're painting. I'm not saying you're wrong, but this is what I'm seeing in my head, and it's not making sense.
MAQ
RealGM

Post#353 » by MAQ » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:37 pm

it was more like

Webber: Are you going to resign in wrong city name...opps i mean atlanta
Bibby: Well...Uhhh....
Payton: U know he's not going back there
Bibby: Hahahahaha...well uhh...blah blah blah, we'll have to wait and see
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#354 » by Leto » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:43 pm

I agree with Red. The Hawks won't trade Bibby unless its a clear upgrade. No one on the Blazers fits that criterion. In my mind, the only way Bibby goes to the Blazers is if another team is involved that sends the Hawks a comparable PG.

Edit: Dont tell that to Blazer fans, though. They think they can get Deng and Hinrich for bench players and an expiring. :lol:
Sonny_D1
Lead Assistant
And1: 218

Post#355 » by Sonny_D1 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:48 pm

If anyone has watched much of the Hawks this year, they really aren't as good as their record would seem to indicate. For one, JJ has been playing very frustrsted lately, and it seems like it's been that way ever since they lost that tough game to Boston at home. Granted Horford's been out for some time, but as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the team just doesn't seem "right."

Again, that's my observation from watching probably every game but 3 or 4 this year. JJ is the face of that franchise and if he's not happy, whether it's because he's not getting along with some of his teammates or he doesn't feel they have the right mix, I would suspect management will do whatever they can to appease him. AGAIN, THIS IS JUST PURELY SPECULATION ON MY PART. But watching the games, that's the sense I get.

I could be wrong, but I just never got the feeling that Bibby fit in well with those guys. I'm not talking about on the court play, rather his relationship with JJ. If you're not happy playing with someone, sooner or later things will start to get out of control. I sense management sees this and they'd rather do something now. That and the impending signing of Marvin is probably enough to at least get them to think about it.
cocktailswith_2short
Head Coach
And1: 78

Post#356 » by cocktailswith_2short » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:58 pm

Deng is the best player out of all the guys being discussed in these trades . Why all of you want to throw him away for an overhyped Rudy Fernandez is beyond me .
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,700

Post#357 » by nitetrain8603 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:01 pm

ATL wants Bayless/Webster, Portland rather give up Rudy. They are talking with more than one team asking for the same thing. And not all of them are in the Eastern Conference.
girlygirl
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#358 » by girlygirl » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:08 pm

Has anyone gotten a good feeling about whether the Blazers management REALLY thinks Bayless will work as a PG? When I saw him in summer league, he looked like a Ben Gordon type SG, although one who was a much worse outside shooter but much better at getting to and finishing at, the rim than BG. I've seen him a few times recently (since Blake got hurt), and he's seeing decent PT. But he STILL looks like a small SG. He doesn't come across as a PG at all. I looked up his stats -- he's had 11 games in which he's played 15 or more minutes. In those 15 games he's taken 70 shots (shooting 34.3%!!!) and has just 19 assists (and 15 turnovers). Yuck.

I realize he's a rookie, he's still learning -- and it's a small sample size -- but nothing in those stats, or in what I've seen of him, suggests he's ever going to be a PG rather than a small SG. Now I know with Brandon Roy at SG the Blazers don't need a Chris Paul-type to play alongside him. But Bayless seems to dominate the ball too much -- if I were the Blazers, I wouldn't be very confident that he's the answer to be the future starting PG.
RyGuy24
General Manager
And1: 107

Post#359 » by RyGuy24 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:14 pm

Clint Eastwood wrote:
RyGuy24 wrote:Blazers insider guy hinted that Webster might be involved and the receiving team could waive the right to the physical since he's injured.

i read that thread, and i didnt see any hint that webster might be involved. also, i didnt see a blazers insider guy.

tbpup..
R.I.P Red , Norm, Bullsmaniac, and pdenninggolden.
Sonny_D1
Lead Assistant
And1: 218

Post#360 » by Sonny_D1 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:15 pm

girlygirl wrote:Has anyone gotten a good feeling about whether the Blazers management REALLY thinks Bayless will work as a PG? When I saw him in summer league, he looked like a Ben Gordon type SG, although one who was a much worse outside shooter but much better at getting to and finishing at, the rim than BG. I've seen him a few times recently (since Blake got hurt), and he's seeing decent PT. But he STILL looks like a small SG. He doesn't come across as a PG at all. I looked up his stats -- he's had 11 games in which he's played 15 or more minutes. In those 15 games he's taken 70 shots (shooting 34.3%!!!) and has just 19 assists (and 15 turnovers). Yuck.

I realize he's a rookie, he's still learning -- and it's a small sample size -- but nothing in those stats, or in what I've seen of him, suggests he's ever going to be a PG rather than a small SG. Now I know with Brandon Roy at SG the Blazers don't need a Chris Paul-type to play alongside him. But Bayless seems to dominate the ball too much -- if I were the Blazers, I wouldn't be very confident that he's the answer to be the future starting PG.

I was going to mention his "chucking" tendencies too, because he definitely isn't afraid to shoot. Watching the Blazers this year and Bayless, I suspect he'll be very much like Monta Ellis, a bit less of a finisher but a bit better of an outside shooter.

He MIGHT develop into a pure PG but I have my reservations. I just don't think he's a good enough passer and I don't think he sees the floor well enough. He'll be more of a scoring point or combo guard much like Monta. I think another very good comparison is Mo Williams of the Cavs. Very similar in terms of style of play.

Return to Chicago Bulls