Image ImageImage Image

Blazers board: Blazers in talks with East team for PG and SF

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

RyGuy24
General Manager
And1: 107

Re: Blazers board: Blazers in talks with East team for PG and SF 

Post#361 » by RyGuy24 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:17 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:ATL wants Bayless/Webster, Portland rather give up Rudy. They are talking with more than one team asking for the same thing. And not all of them are in the Eastern Conference.

Are we any of those teams?
R.I.P Red , Norm, Bullsmaniac, and pdenninggolden.
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#362 » by MAQ » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:18 pm

RyGuy24 wrote:
nitetrain8603 wrote:ATL wants Bayless/Webster, Portland rather give up Rudy. They are talking with more than one team asking for the same thing. And not all of them are in the Eastern Conference.

why do you want bibby and marvin?
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
RyGuy24
General Manager

Post#363 » by RyGuy24 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:21 pm

maq25060 wrote:
RyGuy24 wrote:

why do you want bibby and marvin?

I thought he was talking about Portland talking with more than one team asking for a PG and a SF, isn't he?
MAQ
RealGM

Post#364 » by MAQ » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:25 pm

oh...possibly...though every time he mentions his sources in this thread they are usually about atlanta but it's likely that you're right and im wrong...
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#365 » by Red Larrivee » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:31 pm

girlygirl wrote:Has anyone gotten a good feeling about whether the Blazers management REALLY thinks Bayless will work as a PG? When I saw him in summer league, he looked like a Ben Gordon type SG, although one who was a much worse outside shooter but much better at getting to and finishing at, the rim than BG. I've seen him a few times recently (since Blake got hurt), and he's seeing decent PT. But he STILL looks like a small SG. He doesn't come across as a PG at all. I looked up his stats -- he's had 11 games in which he's played 15 or more minutes. In those 15 games he's taken 70 shots (shooting 34.3%!!!) and has just 19 assists (and 15 turnovers). Yuck.

I realize he's a rookie, he's still learning -- and it's a small sample size -- but nothing in those stats, or in what I've seen of him, suggests he's ever going to be a PG rather than a small SG. Now I know with Brandon Roy at SG the Blazers don't need a Chris Paul-type to play alongside him. But Bayless seems to dominate the ball too much -- if I were the Blazers, I wouldn't be very confident that he's the answer to be the future starting PG.

Bayless was a combo guard coming out of high school. He played PG at Arizona, but still had an SG mentality.

Long-term he'll end up playing off the ball.
girlygirl
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#366 » by girlygirl » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:37 pm

IF the Bulls actually were the team involved in this potential deal, they should try and get the rights to Petteri Koponen thrown into the trade. I believe he's struggling over in the Italian League, but he's only 20 years old, is a true PG with good size (6'5") and could be the answer as the future backup to Rose. I'm not sure what his buyout is, but if it's reasonable, the Bulls could then bring him over next season. Maybe sign a vet PG to a 1-year deal to backup Rose and break Koponen in slowly as the 3rd PG.

Of course, I really don't think the Bulls are the primary team the Blazers are talking to...
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#367 » by Leto » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:44 pm

Again, I agree w/Red and girly. I don't think the Blazers are set on Bayless or they wouldn't be looking to add a PG at all. If they were just waiting on Bayless, I think they would just ride Blake untill Bayless was ready. Instead, they're looking to trade for another PG and that would be contrary to any logical plan to install Bayless at PG. Especially, if that PG has any length on his contract (e.g., Hinrich). In my view, I think that means the Blazers do not think they have the PG they need.

Pryzbilla and LaFrentz for Hinrich, Simmons and Nocioni.
AAU Teammate
RealGM
And1: 803

Post#368 » by AAU Teammate » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:46 pm

What's interesting is JR might do the same with the Bulls that he just did with the White Sox.

Trade out some vets that were taking up cash in this time of economy anxieties.

Well I guess i meant that in relation to the Koponen post.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,822

Post#369 » by Fitz303 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:48 pm

Portland would rather give up Rudy instead of Bayless, or Webster? I would find it VERY hard to believe that they would rather give up Rudy over Webster. You sure they wouldnt rather give up SERGIO? Having Williams, Webster (cant play SG), Outlaw, and Batum is ridiculously redundant. Bayless, on the other hand, is seen as quite possibly the future running mate with Roy on this team. I just dont see them giving up Bayless to get Bibby for a short while. I could see Sergio and/or Rudy along with Webster and Raef, but I dont think Bayless will be moved. JMHO
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#370 » by Ralphb07 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:10 pm

This is when we need to swoop in if Atlanta is looking for Bayless and Webster and Portland wants it to be Rudy.

Come in with Kirk and Noc and Take Rudy and Outlaw or even Rudy and Frye or whoever.

That way you have Rudy when Gordon leaves and you have a starting five of

Rose
Rudy
Deng
Thomas
Noah
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#371 » by Red Larrivee » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:25 pm

There's some serious undervaluing of Rudy Fernandez in here.
MAQ
RealGM

Post#372 » by MAQ » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:27 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:There's some serious undervaluing of Rudy Fernandez in here.

or possibly some overvaluing by fans? it's not just portland that would rather give him up...but it's atlanta who wants something different...
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,074

Post#373 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:29 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:This is when we need to swoop in if Atlanta is looking for Bayless and Webster and Portland wants it to be Rudy.

Come in with Kirk and Noc and Take Rudy and Outlaw or even Rudy and Frye or whoever.

That way you have Rudy when Gordon leaves and you have a starting five of

Rose
Rudy
Deng
Thomas
Noah

Why in the world would Portland ever make that trade?

Personally, I don't see why the Blazers or their fans would want Kirk when Blake seems just as good.
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#374 » by theanimal23 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:40 pm

I hope Blazers fans take notice of that. IF they believe a PG/SF combo will put them in contention, as I said before, Rudy is a small price to pay for one to be in title contention. Now we all may not agree if this move would put them in that elite category. But if one believes they are, thats a price a team would pay.
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#375 » by theanimal23 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:45 pm

nitetrain, are we involved with Portland? If we can land Rudy and LaFrentz for Noce and Kirk, we *must* take that deal. Regardless if we keep Gordon or not, it's a nice backup plan. And we will have a lot of cap space moving forward.
Mattchoo
Rookie

Post#376 » by Mattchoo » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:34 pm

I have not watched much of Rudy Fernandez. It appears that he is either over-valued by many, or he will be the next elite SG in the NBA. Even if the latter is the case, how would Portland see that to fruition when they have Brandon Roy playing SG at a true year-in year-out all-star level (who I wanted all along in the 06 draft - I wasn't a member then so I can't prove it, but if any of you knew my personal friends they could back me up that I said he was the man the Bulls had to take at #2 (my second choice was LA too).

Again, I haven't seen much of Rudy, so I'd like to hear some honest and accurate analysis and opinions on him.

If the Bulls were the team Portland was talking to, which I highly doubt, the Bulls should be asking for LaFrentz, Outlaw, and Fernandez for Hinrich and Nocioni. If Portland GM really loves Hinrich and Nocioni, but wants some salary relief for next season, he could counter that the Bulls need to take Blake back in the deal and Portland would take Sefalosha, Simmons and Ruffin. That keeps both teams under the LT. That is a lot of players, so i doubt any of that will happen. I think Portland is talking to Atlanta, Milwaukee, or Philly.
BULLHITTER
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#377 » by BULLHITTER » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:37 pm

There's some serious undervaluing of Rudy Fernandez in here.

what has he done in his career that screams "value"? he's all potential. this "over-undervaluing" mentality is the very criticism fans make regarding paxson. if portland's GM is being objective, rudy is a backup for the foreseeable future. i'm not for or against any portland trade, but it seems to me hirnich and noc (if those are the two to go) become at least a starter and sixth man, while rudy can only be PROJECTED as a starter. rudy isn't destined for big minutes on that team unless they expect to purge webster. maybe they will, but please, rudy fernandez's few good games in the olympics seems to have popped a boner in a lot of fans. getting 2 starters from the bulls (or anybody else) is a for a reserve is damn good deal for portland.

rudy hasn't done shyt to be "undervalued".
RyGuy24
General Manager

Post#378 » by RyGuy24 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:41 pm

I love how we have a 5 page longer thread on this than the Blazer's board when our name really hasn't popped up anywhere.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#379 » by DanTown8587 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:44 pm

There isn't a chance Fernandez is undervalued. The main problems with his trade value: does Portland want to keep him knowing full well that even for a lesser player at another position (say HInrich v Fernandez) their team becomes better? I don't think anyone is saying that Fernandez is some scrub, because he isn't. But what people are saying Portland might trade away from a position of wealth (SG where they technically have Roy, Webster, Bayless, Fernandez) to gain at either PG or SF. That's why Fernandez's name keeps popping up.

Now, it probably isn't smart for Portland to include Fernandez in a Kirk+Noce deal because I think the Bulls would do the deal WITHOUT him for the right guys, but I do think Paxson should try and get him. He replaces Gordon, has really good size and is already a decent shooter from the perimeter. If he can become an adequate defender and scorer, the Bulls could be back in the playoffs next year.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#380 » by BrooklynBulls » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:48 pm

I wonder what Fernandez' future role on the team would be if they managed to snag an SF.

I mean, there are no minutes for him. Even as the team as it is now, they have little role for him. What about when Bayless actually gets of drinking age?

I'm thinking they've simply got to move him for an SF or PG, otherwise his value will drop when he isn't being played.

Return to Chicago Bulls