Image ImageImage Image

Blazers board: Blazers in talks with East team for PG and SF

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Re: Blazers board: Blazers in talks with East team for PG and SF 

Post#81 » by theanimal23 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:50 am

I think its Milwaukee honestly. IIRC, PTL was rumored to like Jefferson in the past. Its rumored that Kohl might want to sell the Bucks. Clearing salary would help.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,759

Post#82 » by dougthonus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:50 am

DanTown8587 wrote:You know if we do Hinrich+Noce for Outlaw+Rodriguez+LaFrentz

we could send LaFrentz+#1 2009 to Philly for Brand (if they want expiring+first round)

and Thomas+Gooden for Camby

Rose/Rodriguez
Gordon/Sefalosha
Deng/Outlaw
Brand/Noah
Camby/Noah

That'd be a happy deadline.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#83 » by SportsWorld » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:53 am

:pray:

I won't believe a rumor until Tech N9ne posts something though.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#84 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:56 am

Morten Jensen wrote:Arh.

Regardless, the fact that Portland isn't giving up a starter definitely doesn't scream Deng or Gerald Wallace. Or even Felton. It's a very valid point we're both raising ;)

But Outlaw/Bayless could definitely be starters or Bayless at the least, a future starter in time.

Their other 2 starters not named Roy, Aldridge, and Oden are Steve Blake and Nicolas Batum, so I don't think it's a worry that they aren't giving 2 of their starters up.
jStuNNa
Head Coach
And1: 548

Post#85 » by jStuNNa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:57 am

I don't see it being the Bobcats. Wallace's health has to be a big concern and is Felton that much of an upgrade over Blake? Seems a bit Risky.

Maybe it's the Bucks for Jefferson and Ridnour or Sessions. Could be the Bulls, but I don't see us giving up Deng and I can't see the Blazers doing it for Hinrich and Noc.

What about a blockbuster for Iverson and Prince??

EDIT: Maybe not Prince as it would become extremely difficult to make such a deal work financially. But possibly Iverson and Hermann or Afflalo.
theanimal23
RealGM

Post#86 » by theanimal23 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:03 am

Correction, it won't be Blake. He's a starter.

IMO, it would be: Raef, Sergio, Rudy or Outlaw, likely Outlaw. We save about $400k (not using pro-rated salaries).

This deal provides us with cap-relief, a young PG who can play spot minutes the next two seasons, and a SF to replace Noce for two seasons effectively. If Pax is sincere re: his goal of acquiring a second star to place next to Rose, a deal such as this needs to get done.
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#87 » by jax98 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:04 am

Red Larrivee wrote:
But Outlaw/Bayless could definitely be starters or Bayless at the least, a future starter in time.

Their other 2 starters not named Roy, Aldridge, and Oden are Steve Blake and Nicolas Batum, so I don't think it's a worry that they aren't giving 2 of their starters up.

Still. Those players do not currently match up to the value of Hinrich & Deng, IMO.

Outlaw is a 6th man and Bayless a project who hasn't shown much. So you'd have to go into such a trade with a ton of optimism.
Sonny_D1
Lead Assistant
And1: 218

Post#88 » by Sonny_D1 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:05 am

boogydown wrote:I forgot about the Bucks. That is a likely deal, but can Portland really have Sessions bring the ball down the court. I'd think Roy would be better than Sessions.

Check out Sessions assist numbers from last year. Also look at the last 7 games he started. Better yet, here:

10, 7, 10, 14, 13, 24, 14

Finsihed the year with a ridiculous 3.6/1 asst to turnover ratio (7.5/2.1). The kid is a very, very good PG and very underrated. Of course they have Skiles so they don't see that.
TyrusRose2425
Head Coach
And1: 4,591

Post#89 » by TyrusRose2425 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:11 am

SportsWorld wrote::pray:

I contacted him and asked him if he could get inside that info and see if the Bulls are involved.
McBulls
General Manager
And1: 3,564

Post#90 » by McBulls » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:13 am

Whatever happened to the well-worn NBA saw that the way to judge the winner of a trade is by asking who got the best player in the deal?

In this case, folks seem to be conceeding that the Bulls would get absolutely raped, since none of the players being offered are nearly as good as either Hinrich or Deng.

But of course JR's wallet would get thicker. Odd that so many folks seem to think that's a great thing.
theanimal23
RealGM

Post#91 » by theanimal23 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:13 am

TyrusRose2425 wrote:
SportsWorld wrote::pray:

I contacted him and asked him if he could get inside that info and see if the Bulls are involved.

Thank you. I actually thought you'd be the one getting in touch with him while we all waited. Haha.

I think we are a candidate but I'm thinking it's Milwaukee (Jefferson and Sessions).

This gives me hope (http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=266283&src=150):
A lot of our guys fit teams that have an established star or two," Paxson said. "We'd obviously like to get another guy with Derrick where every night you can say to yourself, 'We've got these two guys we can go to all the time,' and fill around them."

"The goal is to improve today, but 2010's a long way off and there are always avenues you can go down to get off contracts," Paxson said. "Teams are always looking for good players.

"One thing I do know is teams like a lot of our pieces. That's not to say they want to give us a lot of players in return, but I know they like a lot of our pieces."
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Post#92 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:14 am

Morten Jensen wrote:Still. Those players do not currently match up to the value of Hinrich & Deng, IMO.

Outlaw is a 6th man and Bayless a project who hasn't shown much. So you'd have to go into such a trade with a ton of optimism.

You also have to consider though that Hinrich has regressed, and that Deng is still rebuilding value, while playing well as of late.

Hinrich for LaFrentz/Bayless, sounds like a fair deal. Deng for Outlaw also depends, though it isn't the most preferable deal for our best trading piece. Deng is clearly the better player right now, but I wouldn't restrict Outlaw to a 6th man category. He's an explosive scorer and shooter, with a ton of athleticism and length. I wouldn't put it past Outlaw to be a pretty good SF with starter minutes.
Sonny_D1
Lead Assistant
And1: 218

Post#93 » by Sonny_D1 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:16 am

theanimal23 wrote:I think its Milwaukee honestly. IIRC, PTL was rumored to like Jefferson in the past. Its rumored that Kohl might want to sell the Bucks. Clearing salary would help.

After giving it more thought, I think you're absolutely right.

They desperately want to get rid of Jefferson and Sessions for Conley was a done deal, waiting for the Senator to sign off until he apparently pulled out. Now that Redd is out, I'm sure they're in a semi-rebuild mode and will take back cheap pieces or filler.

Sergio = Sessions (similar to Conley but not as much upside)
Jefferson = Raef and Webster

Plus whatever filler is necessary.

OR, maybe they value Ridnour? Wasn't Portland rumored to be interested in Ridnour in the past? Jefferson and Ridnour for Sergio, Raef and Webster works. Whatever the deal is, it looks like Milwaukee is likely the team being rumored.
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Post#94 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:20 am

The Bucks though, while Redd's injury has their playoff chances looking limited, are still tied for the 8th seed and were streaking with Redd in the lineup. If anything, they'd probably be looking for a deal that can fill a hole for Redd's injury in the short-term and keep them in the playoffs.

And I'm not sure Sessions is the best fit next to Roy, although Sessions does seem to have some game to him.
othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 757

Post#95 » by othawhitemeat » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:21 am

I told mike at Daily Herald that the bulls should trade deng/hinrich for fernandez/webster/ and LaFrentz and see if you can get one of their many firsts. He said they will never give up Fernandez and I know Webster is hurt, but to pair him and Fernandez with Rose would really open up the floor. Webster can shoot/can post up and can defend; all for a solid salary.
girlygirl
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#96 » by girlygirl » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:25 am

we could send LaFrentz+#1 2009 to Philly for Brand (if they want expiring+first round)

Rose/Rodriguez
Gordon/Sefalosha
Deng/Outlaw
Brand/Noah
Camby/Noah

Isn't there a rule about turning right around and trading players you just traded for? I don't know if your suggestion would be allowable under the rules...
theanimal23
RealGM

Post#97 » by theanimal23 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:25 am

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=875977

Rumblings that three or four teams interested in Jefferson. "Obviously they could get a pretty good piece back."
theanimal23
RealGM

Post#98 » by theanimal23 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:26 am

girlygirl wrote:

Rose/Rodriguez
Gordon/Sefalosha
Deng/Outlaw
Brand/Noah
Camby/Noah

Isn't there a rule about turning right around and trading players you just traded for? I don't know if your suggestion would be allowable under the rules...

The player must be traded alone. Meaning the only player being traded away from the team that just received him.
girlygirl
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#99 » by girlygirl » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:27 am

othawhitemeat wrote:I told mike at Daily Herald that the bulls should trade deng/hinrich for fernandez/webster/ and LaFrentz and see if you can get one of their many firsts. He said they will never give up Fernandez and I know Webster is hurt, but to pair him and Fernandez with Rose would really open up the floor. Webster can shoot/can post up and can defend; all for a solid salary.

I agree with Mike at the Daily Herald -- Blazers are not trading Fernandez -- not for a deal that brings them back Hinrich + Noc or Wallace + Felton or Richard Jefferson + whoever. The Bulls' fans really need to try and get that into their head. The Blazers LOVE Fernandez
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,846

Post#100 » by Ben » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:28 am

Red Larrivee wrote:
Morten Jensen wrote:Still. Those players do not currently match up to the value of Hinrich & Deng, IMO.

You also have to consider though that Hinrich has regressed, and that Deng is still rebuilding value, while playing well as of late.

Hinrich for LaFrentz/Bayless, sounds like a fair deal. Deng for Outlaw also depends, though it isn't the most preferable deal for our best trading piece. Deng is clearly the better player right now, but I wouldn't restrict Outlaw to a 6th man category. He's an explosive scorer and shooter, with a ton of athleticism and length. I wouldn't put it past Outlaw to be a pretty good SF with starter minutes.

Deng for Outlaw does not depend. Deng is much, much better. Much. He had a bad couple of months when playing through an injury and how he's back to an 18/7 or 17/9 type of player, which Outlaw will never be.

The only way we even THINK about trading Deng to Portland is if we get back Rudy, who (as I've said before) has gotten WAY overly hyped but could be a cheap replacement for Gordon if we stupidly let him walk, AND if we really think that we can get Bosh or Amare in 2009/10. Przybilla coming back would be nice as well, but whatever.

Pax will NOT dump Deng just to be rid of his salary. He loves Deng too much, has invested too much in him, AND he's right in thinking that Deng is worth more than a salary dump. Only if we can get a cheap and pretty good SG and also clear major capspace for a premiere 2010 FA does Pax even THINK about trading Deng right now.

Return to Chicago Bulls