Image ImageImage Image

Who should start at SG? John Salmons or Ben Gordon

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Who should start at SG? John Salmons or Ben Gordon

John Salmons
41%
Ben Gordon
59%

Total votes: 78

ChicagoBulls1
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Who should start at SG? John Salmons or Ben Gordon 

Post#61 » by ChicagoBulls1 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:17 am

Salmons. Its time to put Kirk and Ben were they belong.
stillalive
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#62 » by stillalive » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:19 am

until salmons gets acclimated, bg. i wanna see how salmons plays with rose first before i decide. bg is a 6th man so he should feel comfortable coming off the bench. that's what the FO believes anyway. more scoring firepower off the bench is always a plus imo.
"I take it very seriously, knowing my opponent really wants to come at me. It's not just God's gifts. You have to work at this game. If not, you're just going to be average. You have to want it and do whatever you have to do to get it."-D.Rose
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#63 » by Rerisen » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:20 am

lou4gehrig wrote:Gordon still plays like this is his team.

I don't think he does, but in one way, sadly we still need him to play like that. Why? Because Derrick Rose *doesn't* play like this is his team. Hasn't learned how. Or isn't ready yet.

Did you watch the game tonight? Ben Gordon was out for large portions because Kirk was playing well. Guess who played like it was his team? That's right, Kirk Hinrich.

Gordon's importance will recede when Rose makes this his team. Its there for him to take it, but he just doesn't. He plays like a passive Chris Duhon for three quarters of many games, sprinkling in an occasional highlight play here or there. Not until the 4th quarter does he sometimes try to turn in on and take over the team as if he is the franchise guy.

I really don't think its a matter of Gordon holding him back either. Because Rose plays the same with Gordon on the floor or not. Until he is ready, we need someone like Ben stepping up. Loul Deng sure as heck is never going to do it.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#64 » by JordansBulls » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:39 pm

Gordon has the same production off the bench as he does in the starting lineup. No way should we continue to start him as our SG. We have trouble already defending in the backcourt. We need someone who will defend the wing players in the east and that is Salmons.

This is how they compare:

John Salmons
18.3 PPG / 4.2 RPG / 3.7 APG / 1.1 SPG / 0.2 BPG / 16.2 PER / 47% fg / 42% 3 PT / 82% FT

Ben Gordon

20.4 PPG / 3.4 RPG / 3.7 APG / 0.7 SPG / 0.3 BPG / 16.7 PER / 45% fg / 42% 3 PT / 86% FT

Gordon is a good 6th man. Now if we had a tall PG then Gordon could start at the SG, but we don't and it makes much more sense for Salmons to start defending guys like Joe Johnson, Ray Allen or Pierce, Lebron James, etc.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#65 » by likwitdesi » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:20 am

You guys should start Salmons without a doubt. Hollinger did a statistical breakdown on his splits and he found that Salmons is very good as a starter and a scrub off the bench.
apollocreed32
Veteran
And1: 5

Post#66 » by apollocreed32 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:25 am

likwitdesi wrote:You guys should start Salmons without a doubt. Hollinger did a statistical breakdown on his splits and he found that Salmons is very good as a starter and a scrub off the bench.

its cuz hes kind of a cry baby
how many jab steps does it take to get to milwaukee?
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#67 » by Posey H8er » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:39 am

Salmons' comments on Derrick Rose-

"I'd tell my friends he looks like LeBron James in a point guard body as far as his athletic ability," Salmons said. "He's a great talent."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... 7864.story
theagent
General Manager
And1: 508

Post#68 » by theagent » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:44 am

Salmons is going to take that spot
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,164

Post#69 » by League Circles » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:48 am

This thread is laughable.

Yeah, we should start a career journeyman who is finally averaging double figures at age 29 (FOR THE WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE) over our best player.

Ben Gordon has easily been our best player this season. When you realize how much better Gordon has been on D than Rose (to be expected - rookies usually are weak defenders - like BG was), there's not a doubt.

I'll seriously bet anyone $50 that Ben starts every game for the rest of the season unless he is injured (or coming back from an injury).

And I like John Salmons!

Oh yeah, he's taller and averages 18 a game. Does anyone here not remember Ron Mercer averaging 19-20 a game for us?
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
mcmaximus
Sixth Man
Location: Anywhere where there's food, internet access, and a bed

Post#70 » by mcmaximus » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:29 am

Gordon should start for now. After 10 games or so I'd start Salmons. He adds size to the lineup. If he plays defense, he should remain a starter.
Ben Gordon is better suited coming off the bench for instant offense, besides if BG is shooting clanks he is useless to the team. Salmons can score, rebound, and play the 2 or 3 spots.
The 6ft Hurdle
Lead Assistant
And1: 493

Post#71 » by The 6ft Hurdle » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:07 pm

Anybody who actually advocates Salmons starting is not really paying attention to winning basketball games.
TLDR: Current Pulse Readings (9/2/22)
Bulls: :pray:
UCLA Basketball: :dontknow:
UCLA Football: Chip Kelly magic time
Cubs: Uh, 2016
Blackhawks: Uh, 2015
Bears: Poor Justin Fields
FC Barcelona: Economic levers :dontknow: :cheesygrin:
t-time
RealGM
And1: 1,794

Post#72 » by t-time » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:20 pm

teamCHItown wrote:This thread is laughable.

Yeah, we should start a career journeyman who is finally averaging double figures at age 29 (FOR THE WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE) over our best player.

Ben Gordon has easily been our best player this season. When you realize how much better Gordon has been on D than Rose (to be expected - rookies usually are weak defenders - like BG was), there's not a doubt.

I'll seriously bet anyone $50 that Ben starts every game for the rest of the season unless he is injured (or coming back from an injury).

And I like John Salmons!

Oh yeah, he's taller and averages 18 a game. Does anyone here not remember Ron Mercer averaging 19-20 a game for us?

Quoted for truth.

Not that Salmons is a bad player, its just that Ben Gordon is so much better that there shouldn't even be a thread about it.
dflaschberger
Analyst

Post#73 » by dflaschberger » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:47 pm

no way salmons starts. Miller, yes. Ben has proven himself this year-he should be the long term guy next to Rose. Salmons is a 20 minute guy for now, then a trading chip next season

rose-34/kirk-14
Ben-32/Kirk-12/Salmons-4
Deng-30/Salmons-18
TT-34/Noah-8/Deng-6
Miller-26/Noah-22

TThomas is the 9th man-not needed every nite but ready to go. This lineup is scary for the East's top teams
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#74 » by JordansBulls » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:08 pm

likwitdesi wrote:You guys should start Salmons without a doubt. Hollinger did a statistical breakdown on his splits and he found that Salmons is very good as a starter and a scrub off the bench.

So basically he is like Lamar Odom? Good player when starting, but terrible off the bench.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan

Return to Chicago Bulls