Image ImageImage Image

Luol Deng ready to defy trainer by fulfilling national duty

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,756

Re: Luol Deng ready to defy trainer by fulfilling national duty 

Post#121 » by DuckIII » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:48 pm

dougthonus wrote:
There is no "morally".

Why not?

Are you arguing that all legal obligations and moral obligations in this world are harmonious with each other and the two never separate? I think what is legal and what is right frequently diverge. Often times by extraordinary amounts.

I'm not making a grandiose statement about all laws. I'm making a statement about a negotiated employment contract within a particular industry. The contract defines what the Bulls owe Deng and what Deng owes the Bulls. The contract creates the moral and legal reality of the relationship. Yes, the notions converge here. If Deng had gone off for 27 and 9 this year, should the Bulls have done the "morally" correct thing and up the contract value or add in new benefits like a no-trade clause similar to that held by Kobe? Of course not.

Deng owes nothing to the Bulls that the contract doesn't say he owes. Just as the converse is true. Luol's a great guy, but the Bulls can trade him to an NBA wasteland like Sacramento if they want to.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#122 » by DanTown8587 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:51 pm

For the Americans (which includes me) in this discussion: what were your thoughts when Dwyane Wade was playing on the national team last summer? He missed a ton of his games, his team was basically out right tanking and Wade had missed time for two straight years then Wade plays with the best in the world, raises his game and is now the third best player in the league all of the sudden. Was everyone clamoring Wade wasn't doing enough for Miami and shouldn't play for team USA? No. Deng is in the EXACT SAME SITUATION except if he doesn't play GB is god awful and if Wade didn't play, the three guards off the Team USA bench would have been Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Michael Redd.

And how does Luol preparing for international competition NOT help the Bulls? Its not like if he stretches out his jump shot or adds a post game that he all of the sudden will fail to do so for the NBA. I actually PREFER my guys to work hard all summer with something like Eurobasket to influence them.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#123 » by DanTown8587 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:54 pm

7thringsoon wrote:Wait cant the bulls force him not to play? don't some MLB teams force there players not to play in the WBC?

The NBA has a group insurance policy for the richest contracts in the league and Metlife gets to cherry pick a few of them and not insure players and their certain body parts. If Deng is fully insured by Metlife (something that isn't impossible), than Deng can play wherever he wants in any FIBA tournament.

IF Deng isn't 100% fully insured by the NBA policy (and even if he buys insurance to cover himself) he can be denied access by the Bulls.
ShadowDweller
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#124 » by ShadowDweller » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:54 pm

Sham wrote:
Rerisen wrote:So what would Great Britain's chances look like if Deng didn't play this offseason? Would it be a total embarrassment?

Basically. It would be Pops Mensah-Bonsu, Joel Freeland, and a whole host of nobody, assuming (as I will) that Gordon won't play without Deng.

Ever heard of Nate Reinking? Andrew Sullivan? Richard Midgeley? They'll be our horses. Yeehaw. :blank:

What is the significance of the Eurobasket competition if you've already qualified for the Olympics? Not to be funny but I'm just trying to understand what the benefit to his participation would be. I'm sure the team wouldn't be as competitive without him but that's what happens when your best player is injured. It's only one tournament and not the biggest at that unless I'm underestimating its value. I honestly don't know it's the first time I've ever heard of the European National Basketball Championships.

I just feel as though his summers spent playing for the national team have negatively affected his NBA game. I think he would benefit from taking the summer off to concentrate on his conditioning and if their Olympic bid is not affected what's the harm.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#125 » by Rerisen » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:56 pm

DuckIII wrote:That entire post is a load of unsupportable, speculative hogwash without a shred of evidence to support any of it. And the underlined part is priceless. Luol Deng is probably one of the most "grown up" 23 year old professional athletes I've ever seen in my entire life.

Duh. None of us can get inside Luol's head, but we can try to figure him out, and try to square away why his play has dropped off so suddenly these last two years. Is it all injuries? We can say that as an excuse for him, but it is not supported anymore than what I just wrote. Why do you think it is? Let's not act like Loul Deng would be the first player ever to land a big contract and then fall off or stop working and playing as hard as he once did.

Deng was said to be confused and almost hurt by how the Bulls negotiations went with him back when the first attempt at his extension was made. Then he further admitted to being affected by the trade rumors, and what other reason would he have to be affected unless he somehow saw it as something unexpected from management? So no I don't see how its hogwash that he might not trust management or have as much dewy eyed faith in the Bulls and what the business of the NBA is all about as he once did.

Loyalty is a word that seems to come up a lot about Luol Deng with regard of his desire to play for Great Britain and give something back to the country. Does Luol feel the Bulls have been loyal to him?

And when I say Luol should "grow up", I mean directly in relation to his career in the NBA and the things I talked about above, not his life away from basketball, where he is obviously a serious and mature person.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#126 » by DuckIII » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:07 pm

Rerisen wrote:
DuckIII wrote:That entire post is a load of unsupportable, speculative hogwash without a shred of evidence to support any of it. And the underlined part is priceless. Luol Deng is probably one of the most "grown up" 23 year old professional athletes I've ever seen in my entire life.

Duh. None of us can get inside Luol's head, but we can try to figure him out, and try to square away why his play has dropped off so suddenly these last two years. Is it all injuries? We can say that as an excuse for him, but it is not supported anymore than what I just wrote.

It most certainly is. Wanna know why? Because we know that his injuries in fact happened and that they were important (back, hamstring, stress fracture).

Why do you think it is? Let's not act like Loul Deng would be the first player ever to land a big contract and then fall off or stop working and playing as hard as he once did.

I know he wouldn't be. But there is no evidence, at all, anywhere, that this is actually what happened. So why say it? What we know is that Deng continues to be injury prone and that his production has suffered.

Deng was said to be confused and almost hurt by how the Bulls negotiations went with him back when the first attempt at his extension was made. Then he further admitted to being affected by the trade rumors, and what other reason would he have to be affected unless he somehow saw it as something unexpected from management? So no I don't see how its hogwash that he might not trust management or have as much dewy eyed faith in the Bulls and what the business of the NBA is all about as he once did.

All players are upset when teams reject their contract demands and are potentially trying to trade them. All players except the ones who want out. Some will admit it frankly, some will repeat the canned line that their agent taught them: "I understand that the NBA is a business." (insert robotic monotone voice here)

There were reports this preseason that Gordon was upset with the team and deliberately sitting out practice to prove a point. Do you honestly think that this is evidence that Gordon now devalues the significance of his NBA career?

Loyalty is a word that seems to come up a lot about Luol Deng with regard of his desire to play for Great Britain and give something back to the country. Does Luol feel the Bulls have been loyal to him?

I don't know, does he? They did give him the largest contract in franchise history, so I think the circumstantial evidence supports a yes. And at the very least, doesn't even remotely support a no.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#127 » by DuckIII » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:10 pm

Rerisen wrote:And when I say Luol should "grow up", I mean directly in relation to his career in the NBA and the things I talked about above, not his life away from basketball, where he is obviously a serious and mature person.

His approach to his NBA career appears to have always been serious as well, as he's been routinely commended as being a very hard worker and excellent, team oriented player. If you mean "grow up" because after the fact he answered a question honestly as to whether he felt oddly about the Kobe trade rumors, then you definition of "grow up" is "lie more often like the mindless drones who recite quote and verse what their agents tell them to say."
SSUBluesman
Assistant Coach
And1: 810

Post#128 » by SSUBluesman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:14 pm

Mindless nationalism FTW.

The Wade/Deng comparison is off base. Instead of playing in the qualifying tourney Wade sat out to get himself ready for the season. Of course Wade was clearly never healthy last season and continued to play while he should have been healing/rehabbing. Finally he shuts it down and rehabs so he can get completely healthy. He comes out and tears up the Olympics prior to having an MVP-caliber season. Oh yea, he's completely healthy. It strikes me as presumptuous to tell a Bulls fan about Deng, but as an outsider I can't help but laugh at the idea that Deng's injury and performance issues are a result of a commitment level similar to Wade's. I also can't help but draw the obvious comparison to Wade's international participation only upon being completely healthy while Deng is basically promising participation irregardless of, and probably in spite of his health.
Naz Reid.
Grand Champ
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#129 » by Grand Champ » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:18 pm

What a load of crap. Wow!
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#130 » by DuckIII » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:19 pm

SSUBluesman wrote:It strikes me as presumptuous to tell a Bulls fan about Deng, but as an outsider I can't help but laugh at the idea that Deng's injury and performance issues are a result of a commitment level similar to Wade's. I also can't help but draw the obvious comparison to Wade's international participation only upon being completely healthy while Deng is basically promising participation irregardless of, and probably in spite of his health.

Assuming you read the article, I think you misread it. This report doesn't say that Deng will play in these games in September if he's still injured. And I don't think any of us think that is what he'll do, nor is it what we are discussing. The idea here is that he shouldn't play simply so he can have a full summer of rest since he's shown a tendency to suffer a number of nagging injuries in-season the last two years.

And as a Bulls fan, I support that approach. I don't want him playing. But I understand why he will, and won't hold it against him.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,849

Post#131 » by dougthonus » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:21 pm

I'm not making a grandiose statement about all laws. I'm making a statement about a negotiated employment contract within a particular industry. The contract defines what the Bulls owe Deng and what Deng owes the Bulls. The contract creates the moral and legal reality of the relationship. Yes, the notions converge here. If Deng had gone off for 27 and 9 this year, should the Bulls have done the "morally" correct thing and up the contract value or add in new benefits like a no-trade clause similar to that held by Kobe? Of course not.

Deng owes nothing to the Bulls that the contract doesn't say he owes. Just as the converse is true. Luol's a great guy, but the Bulls can trade him to an NBA wasteland like Sacramento if they want to.

The contract does not create a "moral" obligation. It creates a legal one. Vince Carter was fulfilling his contract in Toronto legally, but he certainly wasn't fulfilling it morally. There are many players who get the big pay day and then don't continue to work enough to earn it. You can't write and enforce effort into a contract.

So I acknowledge, again for maybe the fourth time in the thread, that Luol's seems to be within his contractual rights to play for GB (as long as he's insured). I don't think it makes it "right" for him to do so given how his last season has gone for the Bulls.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
clancy
Senior
And1: 1

Post#132 » by clancy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:25 pm

So here's a thought in a bit of a different direction.

PR is a huge part of this whole fan-relations thing, right? Which players are getting the "good" press and the "bad" press seems to be a fairly frequent discussion around here, anyway. IIRC, there were no quotes from Lu in the article - the appearance of greater loyalty to GB and the whole "screw how it impacts the Bulls" sentiment is basically established by the headline the paper has opted for, that he plans to "defy" his trainer and medical advice.

If you just take the quotes from Thorpe without the article context, it honestly doesn't sound nearly as "defiant" as I first took the article. Try to imagine it with a headline instead of "Luol Deng hopes to recover from injuries in time to play for GB." Throw in the same Thorpe quotes - he feels a duty, he enjoys it, blah, blah, blah. The only thing left then is Thorpe's quote that taking the whole summer off is not acceptable - and he goes on to talk about what adjustments to schedule/games he will make to safeguard his health as much as possible, that he will be there in some capacity.

Then remember that this article is in a GB paper - so for its primary audience, the whole idea of defying his trainer and US team for national glory is an entirely positive message. Why would they care about his success on the Bulls any more than most here care about his success with the British team? They just happen to be painting a picture of Lu that, while hugely appealing there, is hugely unappealing here.

This doesn't change much of the discussion here, since there is still obviously concern about how hopes to play this summer will impact his health and availability next year - but it sure puts Lu in a different light, no? He's getting the Tyrus edit instead of what used to be known as the Luol edit.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#133 » by DuckIII » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:26 pm

dougthonus wrote:
The contract does not create a "moral" obligation. It creates a legal one. Vince Carter was fulfilling his contract in Toronto legally, but he certainly wasn't fulfilling it morally. There are many players who get the big pay day and then don't continue to work enough to earn it. You can't write and enforce effort into a contract.

So I acknowledge, again for maybe the fourth time in the thread, that Luol's seems to be within his contractual rights to play for GB (as long as he's insured). I don't think it makes it "right" for him to do so given how his last season has gone for the Bulls.

You cannot equate the unique circumstance of a player deliberately dogging it in actual NBA games, and telling plays to the opposition, to force a trade to this situation. Yes, you've found a "bad faith" exception to my general proposition. By my proposition is based on the assumption - especially since it applies to this situation - that the parties are acting in good faith. If they act in good faith, then the concepts and legality and morality verge within the terms of the contract.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#134 » by Rerisen » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:26 pm

DuckIII wrote:Because we know that his injuries in fact happened and that they were important (back, hamstring, stress fracture).

The injuries support the games he did miss, not the depressed play he has put forth for 2 whole seasons now, when he was supposedly healed, and in many cases weeks and months after he has returned from injuries. If his injuries were so long lasting and severe as to make him damaged goods, then we need a new assessment of his value.

I know he wouldn't be. But there is no evidence, at all, anywhere, that this is actually what happened. So why say it? What we know is that Deng continues to be injury prone and that his production has suffered.

I have said in other posts that he has played poorly perhaps due to nagging injuries. But maybe its because the Chicago Bulls aren't the be all and end all to Luol Deng's life. I never said that is the fact of the matter, in fact, I think I made the speculation pretty darn clear in my post in numerous places. But if it were to be true that Deng isn't super passionate about NBA basketball that's not a crime, I think a lot of players in the NBA have different levels of commitment, not everyone lives and dies competition like Michael Jordan. But that is up to Paxson to measure and take stock of and make the appropriate decisions for the team's future.

All players are upset when teams reject their contract demands and are potentially trying to trade them. All players except the ones who want out. Some will admit it frankly, some will repeat the canned line that their agent taught them: "I understand that the NBA is a business." (insert robotic monotone voice here)

But all players aren't affected in the way Deng's play was affected. And he seemingly tied the two things together after the terrible start to last season, unless we think he was just making an excuse for subpar play with it.

There were reports this preseason that Gordon was upset with the team and deliberately sitting out practice to prove a point. Do you honestly think that this is evidence that Gordon now devalues the significance of his NBA career?

Gordon could have been pouting. But since then, this year kind of puts the latter question to bed, because he has obviously rededicated himself, put up perhaps his best and most consistent season and is said to still be working as hard as ever on his game. Maybe Deng is as well, I simply said that we don't have any recent reports like we do with Ben that he still is. And it always stood out to me that Ben and Luol were mentioned in the past as the two young guys that were always putting in extra time.

I don't know, does he? They did give him the largest contract in franchise history, so I think the circumstantial evidence supports a yes. And at the very least, doesn't even remotely support a no.

I would agree with you that he should feel that the team values him, but I'm not sure he does with the way some of the reports have talked about his mindset and reaction to his contract negotiations and then also the trade rumors. As was brought up earlier in the thread, before Luol was so graciously rewarded with his deal, things were not going so smoothly at all. Only after Luol put his deadline on the situation, did the Bulls finally come to the table with something he was happy with.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#135 » by Rerisen » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:28 pm

clancy wrote:PR is a huge part of this whole fan-relations thing, right? Which players are getting the "good" press and the "bad" press seems to be a fairly frequent discussion around here, anyway.

That's another reason Luol has to be unhappy with the Bulls and stubborn about his desire to play for GB. Look how quickly the articles about him essentially needing to *toughen up* came out in the papers about his recent injury. Don't tell me Luol Deng didn't see or know about that.

I believe there is some level of friction between Deng and the team. How can there not be when Paxson used to go on the radio and trumpet Deng as a tremendously talented young player that he expected to continue to improve and get better? He had to defend Deng against these bozo radio guys that would ask him about not trading Loul. And that meant Paxson going out and justifying this guy's value to the team. Those expectations were obvious at least to me, part of giving him that contract. But he hasn't gotten better or improved, and consequently the whole of the Chicago media apparatus, and perhaps even the Bulls armed extension of it (vis this injury-gate) has turned rather against him. This would cause any player to feel uneasy.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#136 » by DuckIII » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:33 pm

Rerisen wrote:The injuries support the games he did miss, not the depressed play he has put forth for 2 whole seasons now, when he was supposedly healed, and in many cases weeks and months after he has returned from injuries. If his injuries were so long lasting and severe as to make him damaged goods, then we need a new assessment of his value.

You just don't know your facts. Deng and the training staff both openly acknowledged last year that Deng played the vast majority of the season with pain in his hamstring and back. It wasn't boxed in to just the games he missed. He was walking wounded all year, and he has been for stretches his year as well.

I have said in other posts that he has played poorly perhaps due to nagging injuries. But maybe its because the Chicago Bulls aren't the be all and end all to Luol Deng's life. I never said that is the fact of the matter, in fact, I think I made the speculation pretty darn clear in my post in numerous places. But if it were to be true that Deng isn't super passionate about NBA basketball that's not a crime, I think a lot of players in the NBA have different levels of commitment, not everyone lives and dies competition like Michael Jordan. But that is up to Paxson to measure and take stock of and make the appropriate decisions for the team's future.

He might also be a child molester. Its possible. Nothing suggests that its likely to be true, but it could perhaps be true. Joe McCarthy would be proud.

If you want to participate in the rank speculation game about Bulls players in the guise of an actual argument, feel free. It doesn't interest me in the least.
The Evidence
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,621

Post#137 » by The Evidence » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:40 pm

I don't even understand the allegiance to GB....hes hopped around the world his whole life.

America has been better to him than GB has, in the sense that he wouldn't be making $72 M a year in GB.

Just knock it off Luol.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#138 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:43 pm

The Evidence wrote:I don't even understand the allegiance to GB....hes hopped around the world his whole life.

America has been better to him than GB has, in the sense that he wouldn't be making $72 M a year in GB.

Just knock it off Luol.

GB is where his family finally settled after being ousted from the Sudan. I can certainly understand his loyalty.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#139 » by Rerisen » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:45 pm

DuckIII wrote:He might also be a child molester. Its possible. Nothing suggests that its likely to be true, but it could perhaps be true. Joe McCarthy would be proud.

If you want to participate in the rank speculation game about Bulls players in the guise of an actual argument, feel free. It doesn't interest me in the least.

Right, the chances that Deng is a child molester are about equal to those of a guy who simply got a fat contract and now isn't as hungry as he once might have been. Because the latter has never happened in the history of the NBA.

For not being interested, you sure like to argue speculation. This is a message board and not a courtroom. I find it interesting putting these various bits of information together to see what kind of arguments they might suggest, even if we might never be able to get something proved to a 100% fact. Until then, it is just something to kick around.

I remember speculating on Ben Wallace being a cancer and loafer, not least from watching his sorry butt play every night, and I remember some at the time being offended by those suggestions because 'how could we possibly know' any of that stuff not being in the locker room. Hmm well, a year later he is traded off the team and we find out hey, there was fire behind all that smoke.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#140 » by League Circles » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:49 pm

I haven't read the whole thread but I'm surprised people give a rats ass about this. Why do we care so much that our at-best 5th best player this year (after BG, Rose, Salmons, Kirk, etc) wants to play for his non-county, non-basketball team. I actually admire his devotion and desire to "repay" Britain with his skills, but didn't he only live in Britain for 5 years?

It seems odd that he's so commited to the country. I'm very anti-nationalistic so I could care less about the olympics or who plays in them. I certainly think if there's a moral obligation issue here it is that Deng sucks, is always injured, and should sit it out in good faith to the people (the Bulls), and not the faceless country, that has ensured that he and all of his decendants will never have to work a day in their lives after he's done playing ball.

I think te maturity issue is a reasonable thing to bring up with Deng. He disappears when games get tough (4th quarter), he was admittedly intimidated by the trade/contract issues he faced, and he now is opening his mouth like a boy without thinking of the big picture.

After seeing Deng and Salmons play for this team, it's clear to me that if Deng has a future here, it's as the backup 3/4 playing 30-35 minutes a night. I just don't really care about him anymore. It's fine if he plays for GB, but it shows where his heart and mind are (not with the Bulls). Further, he will probably have a yeast infection during the Euro tournament andd not be able to play anyway so this is a non-issue.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear

Return to Chicago Bulls