Image ImageImage Image

Bulls want to trade up for Henderson or Johnson

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,203

Re: Bulls want to trade up for Henderson or Johnson 

Post#161 » by AirP. » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:19 pm

Ben B. wrote:Eh, I think we could still get Mullens if all of that goes down. And while Blair's my #1 and I do like Johnson, that wouldn't be the worst scenario in the world.

I don't think anyone is denying Blair's talent, he's probably a top 5 talent in this draft if it wasn't for the red flag on his knees, but with those knees it has to make you wonder how much time will they cost him in his career. I could see a top tier team making a move to take a chance on his knees if he falls out of the lottery. Even though they have the 2nd coming of Karl Malone, Cleveland could benefit greatly with a guy like that teamed up with Lebron and it may not cost them that much.
Sinistar6
Starter
And1: 125

Post#162 » by Sinistar6 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:25 pm

If teams reach for Johnson or Henderson that means someone is dropping. Coould be Jennings, could be Flynn, could be Holiday...
Next time the cult's spaceship lands we'll all be wearing black Starburys.

-mcwelk
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,528

Post#163 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:30 pm

Sinistar6 wrote:If teams reach for Johnson or Henderson that means someone is dropping. Coould be Jennings, could be Flynn, could be Holiday...

Jennings. And if it's him, I bet he slides past us and has no impact on our pick.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,841

Post#164 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:30 pm

Ben B. wrote:Are you perhaps confusing me with someone else? I just wrote a pretty long and, I thought, detailed breakdown of the red flags I see raised by Williams' offensive history. I had one clause-- a clause that, by the way, I edited and inserted after having written the original post-- saying that with all of his limitations Williams certainly couldn't be viewed as a Gordon replacement, and I inserted that clause after I realized that another poster had just referred to Williams as a potential replacement after Gordon walks. The rest of my post was all about Williams' offensive limitations. You write about "what if" Williams can just learn to shoot? Great! What if Blair just learns a mid-range jumper? He'll be unstoppable! What if Deng learns to shoot 3-pointers reliably? We'll be set! But my point was that players who shoot as badly as Williams did over FOUR YEARS of college rarely "learn" to shoot well magically AND learn how to draw fouls at a rate that'll boost his scoring average into the acceptable zone. Can you name someone who's done it? I can't, off-hand.

Tyrus is a bad comparison, b/c he had only 1 year of college ball. He already showed the ability to hit jumpers well if one watched him play in that 1 year, as I did, and he's worked on it a lot but he's still not really a jump-shooter. But he's also a power-freakin'-forward, not a guard (or 2/3 tweener). And Williams has been shooting poorly for FOUR YEARS already.

My first choice has long been DeJuan Blair, who's obviously not a big-time scorer. I'm also OK with Mullens (only b/c of his long-shot talent) and James Johnson (b/c he seems to have some interesting skill sets), but neither of them are Gordon replacements.

So, maybe you're thinking of someone else who's always looking for a Gordon replacement?

No, I didn't confuse you for anyone else. You're initial arguement from my post was that WIlliams wouldn't be a Gordon replacement because of his lack of offensive ability.

My arguement is again, so what? No one in this draft would be a replacement for Gordon on the offensive end, and quite frankly he doesn't NEED to come in a shoot a fantastic percentage. Bowen was never considered a good shooter earlier in his career, neither was Roger Mason, and someone like Williams has LOADS more talent and atheltic ability than both of those players combined. If Williams becomes even a 38% 3 point shooter, he'd be great, and yes it's a big IF, but who isn't in this draft?

You're arguement is that I'm putting a big IF on Williams potential, yes and? So is everyone else in this draft, including the other players that I want in Henderson, Blair and Tyler. What's your point? So is everyone else is past history that was picked in the draft. Yes, Williams is a 4 year player, and some players come into the league with only a year experience in college, so they are "projected" to have more potential but that doesn't mean they have a greater percentage of success in the league either. My point is that, if GMs were afraid of the "IF" factor there wouldn't be a draft, because most players coming into the draft have that big IF hanging around their neck, so I really don't see what your point is.

Additionally, the NBA is a different game some good college players faulter in the NBA, and vice versa, but my argument for Williams is that he has the tools, and the versatile player that can translate to the NBA because he does many things well and doesn't just rely on one thing - though I do and will continue to admit his shot isn't up to the NBA starting level.

If Gordon leaves, will slot Salmons into the starting two spot who wouldn't be a massive drop from Gordon anyhow, and then you have Williams coming off the bench playing spot minutes at 2, 3 and maybe occasionally even 1, and to have versatile player is a great asset to have.
Why so serious?
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#165 » by boogydown » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:44 pm

I said it I will say it again

If Flynn, DeRozan, or Hill are available select them. After that,

1a). Blair
1b). Mullins
2). Johnson
3). Henderson

I do not support getting Henderson, and think he is going to be a bust.
boogydown
Banned User

Post#166 » by boogydown » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:46 pm

Is it just me, or is this one of the first times I fully am satisified if Chicago makes no trades during draft day unless it nets us a big man?

Just continue as course, the worst case scenario seems we get one of Mullins, Johnson and Blair.
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,601

Post#167 » by BigUps » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:59 pm

I still can't get the mere thought of trading up for Henderson out of my mind. Its a HUGE mistake in my opinion.

At this point, my board at 16 is:

1. Mullens
2. Johnson
3. Blair
4. Hansbrough

In this draft, I'm moving all of my chips into the middle of the table. I'd grab my nuts like Ben Gordon and take the player with the upside and hope he turns out to be something special. We need help down low, its time to address that, a SG is a waste of a pick IMO.

The reports on Mullens have been positive. He's been hitting jumpers during his workouts (I read he was shooting a few NBA 3's recently) and we've all seen what a Brad Miller type of center can do for our team. Take Brad Miller and give him the athleticism he needs to attack off a pick and roll and I'm hoping that's what Mullens can grow into. A worse jumpshot, but quicker to the rim to make up for it. I'll take that at 16 all day long.
Benedict Miller
General Manager
And1: 2,076

Post#168 » by Benedict Miller » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:00 pm

I'd rather have Henderson over Williams. He has a nice set of offensive skills that he's still improving upon.... He's has the ability to post guys up and score, shoot the midrange jumper, and basically has the ability to create his own shot. I like him in the post a whole lot, because it just shows how versatile his game is, and if he works hard and polishes his skill set, he'll be able to score in a variety of ways. Also... he may not get alot of steals, but he plays awesome one on one defense...he's very intelligent defensively, he's very quick laterally and for some reason can guard guys that try to post him up...this guy will be a good shooting guard in the league. And WILL be one of the great one on one defenders in the league......
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#169 » by Ben » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:03 pm

Well, if Toronto takes Johnson at #9 and we're still able to trade up, we should try for Earl Clark. I know that he's not been part of our discussions, but if we can get him we should try.
boogydown
Banned User

Post#170 » by boogydown » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:03 pm

I'd rather trade the pick for cap relief than draft Henderson seriously

Send #16 + Jerome James to New Jersey for a 2nd round pick.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,841

Post#171 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:03 pm

boogydown wrote:I said it I will say it again

1a). Blair
1b). Mullins
2). Johnson
3). Henderson

Big men usually have a great chance of being a bust then small forward or shooting guards. I think Mullens has the biggest upside to not be in the league in 4 years time then anyone else in the draft, he has a high bust probability.

I just can't see how getting beat up in work outs by a 'potential' second rebounder and then sobbing like a baby afterwards shows any indication that he'll be ready to live an adults life in this league. I definitely see the upside in his physical ability, but I have seen too many players come into the league with great physical gifts, but not having the mental capacity to fulfill that potential.
Why so serious?
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#172 » by nomorezorro » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:07 pm

slightly off topic, but i feel like draft express might want to go a little bit more out on a limb than they do with their player forecasts. their best case comparison for james johnson is ryan gomes. a player does not get consideration in the lottery of any draft if the line of thought is "well if everything goes right he'll be as good as ryan gomes is"
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#173 » by Ralphb07 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:07 pm

Ben B. wrote:Well, if Toronto takes Johnson at #9 and we're still able to trade up, we should try for Earl Clark. I know that he's not been part of our discussions, but if we can get him we should try.

I actually like Clark as well
boogydown
Banned User

Post#174 » by boogydown » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:07 pm

Ben B. wrote:Well, if Toronto takes Johnson at #9 and we're still able to trade up, we should try for Earl Clark. I know that he's not been part of our discussions, but if we can get him we should try.

Clark is not going to fit. I think Johnson has potential to be a starter, Mullins could as well, Blair could be an injured bust, or a steal, but the rest are absolute JUNK. I cannot believe we're thinking about getting another guard when we have done that how many years in a row! We have 4 potential big man available, select the best one and be done with it or get cap relief.

Don't believe me though, I have been right every year.

2003 - Wanted to badly trade up for Wade, selected my choice though Hinrich
2004 - Gordon, Deng or Iggy
2006 - I wanted Aldridge or Gay
2007 - I wanted either Hawes or Noah.
2008 - I wanted Rose
2009 - I want to trade our pick for a big man, but if that is not the case, then either trade for cap relief or select best available Flynn, DeRozan, Hill or go with Blair, Mullins or Johnson.
WAYSA
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#175 » by WAYSA » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:11 pm

1a). Blair
1b). Mullins
2). Johnson
3). Henderson

What the hell are we going to do with Johnny Flynn? Play him 10 minutes a game? Play Rose at the 2 when he's in the game? That would have to be frustrating to watch defensively.

Flynn would be like the Blazers taking Bayless last year and having his value crushed while he hardly ever played and sat at the end of the bench.

I don't see any purpose for Johnny Flynn unless he is immediately moved which we all know isn't likely.
boogydown
Banned User

Post#176 » by boogydown » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:21 pm

WAYSA wrote:

1a). Blair
1b). Mullins
2). Johnson
3). Henderson

What the hell are we going to do with Johnny Flynn? Play him 10 minutes a game? Play Rose at the 2 when he's in the game? That would have to be frustrating to watch defensively.

Flynn would be like the Blazers taking Bayless last year and having his value crushed while he hardly ever played and sat at the end of the bench.

I don't see any purpose for Johnny Flynn unless he is immediately moved which we all know isn't likely.

If Flynn is available which he will not be. Do we need a point guard? No. He is the best talent available though at that pick, you take him regardless.
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#177 » by Posey H8er » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:22 pm

If we pick James Johnson isn't it much more likely Tyrus will be traded? I don't want to trade up for Henderson but if he falls to 16 I would be open to picking him.
RyGuy24
General Manager
And1: 107

Post#178 » by RyGuy24 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:27 pm

boogydown wrote:
WAYSA wrote:

1a). Blair
1b). Mullins
2). Johnson
3). Henderson

If Flynn is available which he will not be. Do we need a point guard? No. He is the best talent available though at that pick, you take him regardless.

Agreed 100%. I think Flynn will easily be one of the top 5 players from this draft. I don't care if he's a PG, if you ge that kind of talent, take it.
R.I.P Red , Norm, Bullsmaniac, and pdenninggolden.
boogydown
Banned User

Post#179 » by boogydown » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:31 am

Posey H8er wrote:If we pick James Johnson isn't it much more likely Tyrus will be traded? I don't want to trade up for Henderson but if he falls to 16 I would be open to picking him.

No. Johnson is 6'8 235. I am not 100% sure he can even play the PF spot. I see him more as a combo forward, which is exactly what we don't need. Also Johnson is 22 years old already.

Here you guys go though

Dejuan Blair 6'6 288, Wingspan 7'2, Just Turned 20.
Freshman - 11.6 PPG - 9.1 RPG - 54% FG - 26.0 MPG
Sophomore - 15.7 PPG - 12.3 RPG - 59% FG - 27.3 MPG

James Johnson 6'8 235 22 Years Old
Freshman - 14.6 PPG - 8.1 RPG - 49% FG - 29.1 MPG
Sophomore - 15.0 PPG - 8.5 RPG - 54% FG - 30.5 MPG

BJ Mullins
Freshman - 8.8 PPG - 4.7 RPG. Second half the season, he slightly improved putting 10.0 PPG - 5.5 RPG in 21 MPG.

I am still supporting drafting Dejuan Blair even though he seems a tad bit overweight. How far did Johnson take his team WITH Teague into March Madness? Same with BJ. They both did nothing.
23-7
Veteran
And1: 466

Post#180 » by 23-7 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:33 am

boogydown wrote:
Posey H8er wrote:If we pick James Johnson isn't it much more likely Tyrus will be traded? I don't want to trade up for Henderson but if he falls to 16 I would be open to picking him.

No. Johnson is 6'8 235. I am not 100% sure he can even play the PF spot. I see him more as a combo forward, which is exactly what we don't need. Also Johnson is 22 years old already.

Here you guys go though

Dejuan Blair 6'6 288, Wingspan 7'2
Freshman - 11.6 PPG - 9.1 RPG - 54% FG - 26.0 MPG
Sophomore - 15.7 PPG - 12.3 RPG - 59% FG - 27.3 MPG

James Johnson 6'8 235 22 Years Old
Freshman - 14.6 PPG - 8.1 RPG - 49% FG - 29.1 MPG
Sophomore - 15.0 PPG - 8.5 RPG - 54% FG - 30.5 MPG

BJ Mullins
Freshman - 8.8 PPG - 4.7 RPG. Second half the season, he slightly improved putting 10.0 PPG - 5.5 RPG in 21 MPG.

I am still supporting drafting Dejuan Blair even though he seems a tad bit overweight. How far did Johnson take his team WITH Teague into March Madness? Same with BJ. They both did nothing.

The dudes 257

Return to Chicago Bulls