Image ImageImage Image

Chris Broussard on Gordon situation

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,715

Re: Chris Broussard on Gordon situation 

Post#21 » by Ctownbulls » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:12 pm

I watched this also, I don't remember him saying anything about 10 million. All I heard was that if Chicago offers anything close to what Detroit is offering he will re-sign with Chicago. I might of mis-heard though.
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#22 » by theanimal23 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:28 pm

Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#23 » by Ralphb07 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:42 pm

Hey KC do you know if the Bulls have a offer for Ben ready and will present it to him at 12:01

They will not. They will be reactive, not proactive.
theanimal23
RealGM

Post#24 » by theanimal23 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:44 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:Hey KC do you know if the Bulls have a offer for Ben ready and will present it to him at 12:01

They will not. They will be reactive, not proactive.

LMAO

If Detroit is at his door at 12:01 with an offer similar to Chicago's, Gordon will be gone.
Ralphb07
RealGM

Post#25 » by Ralphb07 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:48 pm

Do they want to re sign him? Is Ben Detroit bound

KC
Yes. And probably.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#26 » by BrooklynBulls » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:50 pm

theanimal23 wrote:
If Detroit is at his door at 12:01 with an offer similar to Chicago's, Gordon will be gone.

I'm not sure of that. Remember, a 6th year, and 10.5% raises...they count. So Detroit's offer would have to be a decent bit sweeter than ours.

And I just LOVE being reactive. Like ducking after you get punched.
theanimal23
RealGM

Post#27 » by theanimal23 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:53 pm

BrooklynBulls wrote:
theanimal23 wrote:

I'm not sure of that. Remember, a 6th year, and 10.5% raises...they count. So Detroit's offer would have to be a decent bit sweeter than ours.

And I just LOVE being reactive. Like ducking after you get punched.

I don't think that matters much because I don't see Chicago offering $11-11.5 million if Detroit is offering $10-11 million. And at that point, it may come down to respect and a feeling of appreciation.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#28 » by BrooklynBulls » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:57 pm

theanimal23 wrote:
I don't think that matters much because I don't see Chicago offering $11-11.5 million if Detroit is offering $10-11 million. And at that point, it may come down to respect and a feeling of appreciation.

Wait, you said,

So Chicago doesn't have to OUTBID Detroit, just comparably make an offer for the same, or a bit less, amount starting, and there will be extra value in the 6th year and the % raises for Gordon. So overall, more money.
BG7
Senior
And1: 0

Post#29 » by BG7 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 12:00 am

Ralphb07 wrote:Do they want to re sign him? Is Ben Detroit bound

KC
Yes. And probably.

KC doesn't have any legit sources
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#30 » by boogydown » Wed Jul 1, 2009 12:02 am

So Chicago doesn't have to OUTBID Detroit, just comparably make an offer for the same, or a bit less, amount starting, and there will be extra value in the 6th year and the % raises for Gordon. So overall, more money.

Exactly. I really believe JR is going to go over the cap resigning Ben now. As long as it's reasonable, Chicago will be spending anywhere between 73 to 75 next season (including Jerome James reduction) on players.

Every interview and article seems to pinpoint that Chicago WANTS to keep Gordon badly. If that is the case, then they should have traded someone by now to free up cap space if they wanted to remain under the cap. However since that hasn't been done my opinion is they plan to keep Hinrich and everyone currently on this team, and resign Gordon. It sounds like there has been to much salary dumping on this team that has only hurt us (JR Smith, Tyson Chandler), and I am not sure we are going to continue salary dumping players unless we get a good return again (which means Deng, Hinrich are not going anywhere).

Keeping the core intact, and then moving whoever is needed for Wade, Bosh, or Lebron seems likely the route Chicago is wanting to go as they know they are extremely close from being a contender again and for that reason I think JR is willing to pay the tax.
Ralphb07
RealGM

Post#31 » by Ralphb07 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 12:11 am

Stein was on ESPNEWS and he was saying Gordon is a top Detroit wish list and that Detroit will probably make a run at Charlie V as well

The scary thing is if all these reports are indeed true that Detroit wants him that bad, the offer might be just too high
theanimal23
RealGM

Post#32 » by theanimal23 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 12:14 am

Ralphb07 wrote:Stein was on ESPNEWS and he was saying Gordon is a top Detroit wish list and that Detroit will probably make a run at Charlie V as well

The scary thing is if all these reports are indeed true that Detroit wants him that bad, the offer might be just too high

If Gordon goes, Reinsdorf ****ed it up by taking back the 6/54 deal Gordon was ready to sign. I know it became personal between Gordon and the organization, and I do'nt think Reinsdorf ever liked Gordon that much (vs Deng and Kirk), but when you can get a player on a deal that averages to $9 million, you let him sign it.
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,661
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#33 » by waffle » Wed Jul 1, 2009 12:24 am

Yes, they overpaid Deng, but you had to think he was trending upwards.
Yes, they overpaid Kirk, but by how much? Look around the league?
Yes, Ben gives his all and I think is a victim of circumstances a bit (see above)

But

My concerns about Ben in general and more specifically on this team (partnered w/ Kirk/Now Rose) and his very real shortcomings (average defender, below average ball handling, average at best assist man) lead me to think that we may be better off without him long term. S*rew next year, I am talking over the next 5 when Rose hits his prime.

It's all about who fits w/ Rose. All other concerns are distant seconds.
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#34 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 12:31 am

I'd love to see Detroit overpay for our little person shooting guard. They're on a train headed nowhere if they add BG and Villa :lol: Oh wait, I forgot they drafted Daye :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
theanimal23
RealGM

Post#35 » by theanimal23 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 12:34 am

waffle wrote:Yes, they overpaid Deng, but you had to think he was trending upwards.
Yes, Ben gives his all and I think is a victim of circumstances a bit (see above)

But

My concerns about Ben in general and more specifically on this team (partnered w/ Kirk/Now Rose) and his very real shortcomings (average defender, below average ball handling, average at best assist man) lead me to think that we may be better off without him long term. S*rew next year, I am talking over the next 5 when Rose hits his prime.

Paxson said that the point of an extension (their 4th year in the league) was to gain financial security. Otherwise, if you don't take it, you enter the risk of making/losing money. Makes sense to me. Its the way I always saw it. The team sucked. They sucked. Yet they make more money. On top of that, no other teams were offering deals. We outbid ourselves for the lone threat that Deng may take the QO. I doubt he had the balls to take the QO like Gordon. This is a guy who is made out of glass physicall and mentally (Kobe rumors, the pressure of not taking the extension, the pressure of living up to his deal this year as reported).

Kirk made fine money the time he was signed, heading into that 49 win season. But since then, he does not warrant his deal. Kirk is paid fine if he was a started. He isn't anymore. Hence his deal is not needed.

People claim all these issues with Gordon, ie Ball-movement, etc. I just find it funny. The other two players who are more 'complete' hvae more serious flaws IMO in their game, more injury prone, more inconsistent, and definitely less clutch.

Enjoy Detroit Gordon. Hope you flourish.
girlygirl
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#36 » by girlygirl » Wed Jul 1, 2009 12:37 am

If Detroit offers him $11 million per, I don't know if the Bulls will match. Didn't they only offer him around $9 million per last summer?

$11 million/year is more than I'd want to pay BG, although considering what Kirk and Luol are making, it's not necessarily out of line.
t-time
RealGM
And1: 1,794

Post#37 » by t-time » Wed Jul 1, 2009 1:41 am

BG7 wrote:Chris Broussard was just on ESPN and was asked whether the Bulls will keep Gordon. He said Gordon wants to come back and the Bulls want him back very badly. He also Detroit will offer him 10 million a year and if the Bulls can offer somewhere in that area he will come back to the Bulls

I really hope this is true. If it is, I will glady never abuse Broussard again :lol:
t-time
RealGM
And1: 1,794

Post#38 » by t-time » Wed Jul 1, 2009 1:44 am

girlygirl wrote:If Detroit offers him $11 million per, I don't know if the Bulls will match. Didn't they only offer him around $9 million per last summer?

$11 million/year is more than I'd want to pay BG, although considering what Kirk and Luol are making, it's not necessarily out of line.

I'd be happy giving him 6/63, which is 10.5 mil a year. Thats pretty good value for a guy that will give you 20-23 PPG for the next 6 years.

After getting it done, hopefully we can swing a trade for Amare and become a contender in the next 1-2 years :wink:
Mapelgleaf
Assistant Coach
And1: 280

Post#39 » by Mapelgleaf » Wed Jul 1, 2009 1:48 am

waffle wrote:Yes, they overpaid Deng, but you had to think he was trending upwards.

But

couldn't have said it better myself.

Now, in a year or two if the situation turns into Gordon as a super 6th man backing up Rose and a big defensive SG I'll be pretty happy.
Websites • SEO • Graphic Design
http://www.AstuteWebGroup.com
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#40 » by boogydown » Wed Jul 1, 2009 1:57 am

Ralphb07 wrote:Stein was on ESPNEWS and he was saying Gordon is a top Detroit wish list and that Detroit will probably make a run at Charlie V as well

Can only pay so much before you look towards taking on players by eating their current contracts.

Return to Chicago Bulls