Image ImageImage Image

Chris Broussard on Gordon situation

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Re: Chris Broussard on Gordon situation 

Post#41 » by boogydown » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:01 am

I love how people THINK Gordon wants out when he clearly said he wants to remain in Chicago and Chicago has said the same.

If Gordon is offered the same amount, he will stay in Chicago, 100% sure.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#42 » by Ralphb07 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:04 am

boogydown wrote:I love how people THINK Gordon wants out when he clearly said he wants to remain in Chicago and Chicago has said the same.

Will we offer that and will we act quickly, that's the questions I'm asking

Ben being a RFA and Ben being a UFA is a big thing and difference. If Detroit comes in with a offer we can't mess around we gotta be prepared and match it. We don't have to be overly aggressive but at the same time we gotta act quickly if that makes any sense

Unless Detroit doesn't make a offer this thing will be done quickly. It's not going to be a long drawn out thing
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,661
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#43 » by waffle » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:04 am

BUT

What price will the Bulls match?

IF he gets an offer of 5/55? Do they match? Do they intend to?

It's tough
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#44 » by theanimal23 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:06 am

To our benefit, nothing can be signed till July 8th I believe. But if Gordon gives a handshake agreement, then it's likely a done deal unless he takes back his word.
boogydown
Banned User

Post#45 » by boogydown » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:06 am

Ralphb07 wrote:
boogydown wrote:I love how people THINK Gordon wants out when he clearly said he wants to remain in Chicago and Chicago has said the same.

Ben being a RFA and Ben being a UFA is a big thing and difference. If Detroit comes in with a offer we can't mess around we gotta be prepared and match it. We don't have to be overly aggressive but at the same time we gotta act quickly if that makes any sense

Unless Detroit doesn't make a offer this thing will be done quickly. It's not going to be a long drawn out thing

It will go like this.

1). Detroit makes an offer
2). Bulls decide if they want to match IMMEDIATELY. If they don't, he is gone.
3). Detroit makes one last offer.
4). Bulls decide if they want to match once again during the week. If they don't, he is gone.

I say Detroit makes an offer of 5/50. Bulls will match that. Detroit comes back and offers 5/55. Bulls offer 6/65ish, and he signs.

Gordon will likely not be signed until at least July but could drag out to September.
theanimal23
RealGM

Post#46 » by theanimal23 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:16 am

Even if we lose Gordon, I think we'll win a similar amount of games next season (or a handful more) *if* we do not have bad luck with injuries (Kirk and Deng). However, a Gordon added to a healthy squad will be huge. But until we fix the front-court, I don't think we'll take that step.

I'd love to add Gortat to Gordon if we were willing to pay the tax.
Padawan
Junior
And1: 2

Post#47 » by Padawan » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:17 am

I think the Bulls should sign him for anything close to reasonable.

I thought otherwise until late in the season and the playoffs. He's just too important right now... The Bulls need to find a big and defensively reliable SG to complement him imo ( as a starter or 6th man ). The thing is, the Bulls have some assets right now that they should use to make a trade and if a trade isn't available maybe trading Kirk along with Salmons or something and target 2010 should be the goal.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#48 » by Ralphb07 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:20 am

boogydown wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:

It will go like this.

1). Detroit makes an offer
2). Bulls decide if they want to match IMMEDIATELY. If they don't, he is gone.
3). Detroit makes one last offer.
4). Bulls decide if they want to match once again during the week. If they don't, he is gone.

I say Detroit makes an offer of 5/50. Bulls will match that. Detroit comes back and offers 5/55. Bulls offer 6/65ish, and he signs.

Gordon will likely not be signed until at least July but could drag out to September.

If this drags out til Sept Ben Gordon will be making the MLE.

The past two years the Bulls had the rights to him which made things very difficult, that's not the case right now...

Ben will be signed by the July 14th
theanimal23
RealGM

Post#49 » by theanimal23 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:25 am

http://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI
NBA source tells me that OKC is a potential landing spot for Ben Gordon
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#50 » by kyrv » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:27 am

theanimal23 wrote:http://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI

The Memphis janitor is his NBA source.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#51 » by BrooklynBulls » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:27 am

kyrv wrote:

The Memphis janitor is his NBA source.

I had no idea Joey Dorsey had picked up a side gig.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#52 » by Ben » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:34 am

They just drafted James Harden. They're in no great hurry to be great, or at least they shouldn't be. They can give Westbrook, Harden and Durant major minutes if they want and they can put on a big push for Paul Millsap, who would be great for them. They would be potentially really good at 4 positions. Why would they want to spend their wad on another SG?
boogydown
Banned User

Post#53 » by boogydown » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:34 am

If this drags out til Sept Ben Gordon will be making the MLE.

The past two years the Bulls had the rights to him which made things very difficult, that's not the case right now...

Ben will be signed by the July 14th

I said it COULD drag out, not saying it will. I mentioned he'd be signed in July, and I think that is a realistic date. He is going to get the best offer, and will talk to multiple teams as well as possibly some EURO teams. Once that is all done, he should make a decision. Until then the Bulls need to be patient, and see what other teams offer.

As for Oklahoma City, they just drafted Harden, and have Sefolasha. What they desperately need a PF/C. I say they try to get someone like Chris Kaman. Still young, a force down low, possibly absorbing his contract is the route that they likely may go. If not that, they may try to upgrade the PF spot with Milisap which is very likely to happen.
boogydown
Banned User

Post#54 » by boogydown » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:38 am

theanimal23 wrote:Even if we lose Gordon, I think we'll win a similar amount of games next season (or a handful more) *if* we do not have bad luck with injuries (Kirk and Deng). However, a Gordon added to a healthy squad will be huge. But until we fix the front-court, I don't think we'll take that step.

I'd love to add Gortat to Gordon if we were willing to pay the tax.

Still a shot we get Bosh this summer, but if we lose him and make no changes, with a healthy Deng we should be a 50 win team still. We still are deep in the back court, and we added help in the front court.

2006-2007 - Sweetney, PJ, Harrington, Wallace
2008-2009 - Tyrus, Johnson, Noah, Miller

Our front court is finally looking better.
theanimal23
RealGM

Post#55 » by theanimal23 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:38 am

Ben B. wrote:

They just drafted James Harden. They're in no great hurry to be great, or at least they shouldn't be. They can give Westbrook, Harden and Durant major minutes if they want and they can put on a big push for Paul Millsap, who would be great for them. They would be potentially really good at 4 positions. Why would they want to spend their wad on another SG?

I don't know. But I see them ending up with Milsap.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#56 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:43 am

This will be settled in July

Ben wants to play for Great Britain so they will not draw out the negotiations.

Detroit isnt going to offer 5/$50. They know the Bulls will beat that offer easily.

Detroit has to offer at least 5 years/$60 million......
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#57 » by Ben » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:51 am

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:This will be settled in July

Ben wants to play for Great Britain so they will not draw out the negotiations.

Detroit isnt going to offer 5/$50. They know the Bulls will beat that offer easily.

Detroit has to offer at least 5 years/$60 million......

Dumars is a very good GM. But if he can't get Boozer, and if Millsap chooses OKC, I could see Dumars possibly throwing a lot of money at Gordon simply to show that he could get one of his top priorities (after all of the media/fan buzz). That would suck for us, and while Detroit would be overpaying Ben they could afford it. Kind of the way that a lot of us reasoned in the Ben Wallace scenario. Except that in their case, this won't be their only chance to acquire FAs; they should still have a lot of cap space next year even if they DO overpay Gordon.
theanimal23
RealGM

Post#58 » by theanimal23 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 2:54 am

IMO, Gordon will have a destination within the next 24 hours. Detroit will knock on his door at midnight. The Bulls, if serious, will have the same offer or better soon after. If not, Good Luck.
Bullsville
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#59 » by Bullsville » Wed Jul 1, 2009 3:55 am

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Gordon's management is already well-known for floating out false offers and/or interest from other teams.

If they come to JR and say "we have an offer from DET for 5/60", do you really think the Bulls believe them?

The Bulls have a figure in mind, they'll offer that, and if Ben doesn't take it, they'll let him go.

Does anyone really believe that JR would get into a bidding war over Gordon?
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,331

Post#60 » by coldfish » Wed Jul 1, 2009 4:01 am

Bullsville wrote:I think a lot of people are forgetting that Gordon's management is already well-known for floating out false offers and/or interest from other teams.

If they come to JR and say "we have an offer from DET for 5/60", do you really think the Bulls believe them?

The Bulls have a figure in mind, they'll offer that, and if Ben doesn't take it, they'll let him go.

Does anyone really believe that JR would get into a bidding war over Gordon?

Personally, I wonder how much of all of the BG hype has been Brothers going around to the media and making stuff up. I guess I'll find out in a few hours.

Return to Chicago Bulls