Image ImageImage Image

OT: pdenninggolden has passed away (1 year)

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Re: OT: pdenninggolden has passed away 

Post#81 » by suckfish » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Shocker. I didn't have a huge online relationship with Pat, in fact we rarely interracted with one and other during my time here, but she would always catch my attention with her cheerful and positive posts. I will echo Brooklyn's comments in that she truly was the big cuddly grandma figure here in our online Bulls community. No matter what the circumstances, she always continued with her positive and cheery ways. Something that will really be missed here.

This is the only message board that I've really been a consistent contributor to. I've signed up to various boards and may have a dropped a post or two, but there really isn't anywhere else online that can match the type of close knit community that we have here. It might sound sad, uncool, or nerdy, but this is like one huge family to me. Each and every one of you has your different personalities and qualities that you bring to the table, and over the two and a bit years that I have been here, I have developed a relationship with this online community that I would have never imagined myself doing prior to joining. My purpose of joining this board was to fill some of my spare time, but it's spiraled out of control (for the good), and I now find myself trying to create more time to come here, and it's all down to the great posters that contribute to this community every single day.

We often have longtime members go AWOL. Most return at some point, but some others do not. For those people who strangely disappear of the face of cyberspace, we automatically fear the worst, although in reality they are probably just living their lives. If there is anything fortunate about this sad sad news, it's that Pat didn't just disappear and leave us all wondering. We were contacted, so therefore can pay to tribute to Pat here on the forums.

RIP pdenninggolden (Pat).
Scott May
Head Coach
And1: 24

Post#82 » by Scott May » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:02 pm

I do -- it's a great article and worth the $3.95.

But some brief highlights:.

One of the 30 (!) other applicants for the UIC assistant's job was none other than Norm Van Lier (!).

She focused on keeping the players academically eligible and spent more time with them than their head coach did. Her other responsibilities were to help run practices, keep track of fouls and timeouts during games, and consult on strategies, and help to manage personalities.

A team she coached won the Abe Saperstein summer tourney over a team featuring Isiah, Aguirre, Sonny Parker, and Mickey Johnson. She was then the freshman/sophomore coach at Mather for two years. Her husband was a basketball coach and dean of students at Mather.

One quote from Pat: "''I don't want to get feminists mad, but yes, I add a softer, more feminine touch,'' she said. ''I try to keep things calm because somebody has to. I'll bring gum or candy for the players, and if Coach Little says we're going to have a Christmas practice, I'll say let's at least have a party.''

She was only 59 when she died. Far too young.
On indefinite hiatus as of May 27, 2014.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,690

Post#83 » by DuckIII » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:22 pm

ScottMay wrote:
One quote from Pat: "''I don't want to get feminists mad, but yes, I add a softer, more feminine touch,'' she said. ''I try to keep things calm because somebody has to. I'll bring gum or candy for the players, and if Coach Little says we're going to have a Christmas practice, I'll say let's at least have a party.''

She was only 59 when she died. Far too young.

That sounds like her. Thanks for the recap, Scott. I wish we'd have known of her trailblazing professional accomplishments earlier so we could have given her the timely props on that front that she deserved.

It says quite a bit about her humility that she never mentioned it herself, not even in the most superficial way.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
harry lockheart
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#84 » by harry lockheart » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:27 pm

Wouldn't it be okay if we made an exception and posted the full article?
Scott May
Head Coach
And1: 24

Post#85 » by Scott May » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:32 pm

harry lockheart wrote:Wouldn't it be okay if we made an exception and posted the full article?

If the powers-that-be make an exception, you'll have to find another Times subscriber to cut and paste for you. Copyright keeps my family clothed, fed, and sheltered and stuff.
On indefinite hiatus as of May 27, 2014.
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#86 » by jax98 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:40 pm

It's against RealGM rules to post full articles.

Personally, I wouldn't mind making an exception. But it's not up to me.
TB#1
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#87 » by TB#1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:55 pm

DNP CD wrote:Don't forget that pdenninggolden had basketball credentials having been an assistant coach for the UIC men's team (the first woman to do so in college).

Only a brief mention of it here: http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ ... /index.htm

to save anyone else from scouring an otherwise insufferable article, here is the reference:

AMCU-8: In its fourth season, the Association of Mid-Continent Universities gets no automatic NCAA bid, which is unfortunate for Cleveland State, likely to repeat as champ with its twin Clintons (Ransey and Smith) in the frontcourt. Eastern Illinois has the league's best (player of the year Jon Collins) and biggest (7-foot, 300-pound Kevin Duckworth), while Illinois-Chicago has the first woman college coach, assistant Patricia Denning.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#88 » by Polynice4Pippen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:56 pm

Devastating news. Simply heartbreaking. Pat was definitely a constant breath of positivity and fresh air on this board. I just recently discovered we lived in the same darn neighborhood. If passing on has taken away her pain then that at least puts a bit of a smile on my face. She will be missed both by those of us who only knew her through a message board and certainly by those closest to her in her everyday life. R.I.P. pdenninggolden.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
Art Vandelay
Lead Assistant
And1: 335

Post#89 » by Art Vandelay » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:07 pm

Someone should bring this up w/CSN or a local radio station. Worth a mention at the very least.

Always sad to see someone go so earlier. Even sadder to know who they were and what they were about. Worst part is thinking about how much you know the family is going to miss someone like that.
Bruckner
Bench Warmer

Post#90 » by Bruckner » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:16 pm

I don't post anymore, but I love to read the boards. I've always enjoyed the posts of pdenninggolden and am sad to hear of her passing. She will be missed here.
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,160

Post#91 » by SHO'NUFF » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:21 pm

She was definitely part of the RealGM fam. I'd think it would be nice if we had a sig or something in our sig for her.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#92 » by jax98 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:24 pm

SHO'NUFF wrote:She was definitely part of the RealGM fam. I'd think it would be nice if we had a sig or something in our sig for her.

Good idea.
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#93 » by DJhitek » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:51 pm

Wow, I can't believe one of our own has passed away. RIP ma'am.
bentheredengthat
General Manager
And1: 1,606

Post#94 » by bentheredengthat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:02 am

Patricia, what a wonderful, warm human being.

I couldn't help but smile as I imagined her giggling and "+1"ing my g-rated diatribe aimed at the "image size not recognized" message we all love so much.
pduh01
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,562

Post#95 » by pduh01 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:08 am

When I got online for the first time today the very first thing I saw when I enter the Bulls forum is this thread and my reaction is that I was shock and like I say "oh no!"

There is nothing negative about Pat lot of positive about her, I don't know her personally but I do enjoyed her post give a positive influence. Sad to hear that she is no longer with us but she at a better place now my condolence to her family and friends.

Now I know what exactly I am going to put on my sig to honor her which is a good idea shonuff

R.I.P Pat
Check out my blogs
http://nbaanalytical.blogspot.com/ <-------NBA Analytical

Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/phillip93
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,160

Post#96 » by SHO'NUFF » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:36 am

If anyone wanted to use the sig:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5254/rosev.gif pdenninggolden http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5254/rosev.gif

you have to put the links in [img] format. Keep hitting 'submit' until it allows you to add the sig.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#97 » by BigUps » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:40 am

I saw this thread this morning as I began my work day. I wanted to respond, but quite honestly I'm not good in these types of situations. I can't deal with them in real life well and apparently that's parlayed into not dealing with it well virtually either.

God bless pdenninggolden (as I knew her) and her family. My most sincere condolences!

R.I.P. Pat
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#98 » by Flames24Rulz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:16 am

RIP Patricia. It's like losing a family member because everyone on here is closely related with each other in our love for the Bulls. I'll always remember her for her posts on here and wish her family the best.
VinTheBarber
Sixth Man

Post#99 » by VinTheBarber » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:20 am

I just recieved a email from the same lady Doug did she promised to keep both Doug and myself updated over the next few days.So ill keep you guys posted on this sad situation.
R.I.P Patricia Denning Golden The kindest most caring Bulls fan ever .You will be missed by many..Your guidance was perfect during my hardest time and for that i will forever owe you pal.

BOBBA LUI
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#100 » by BOBBA LUI » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:45 am

It's cool to find out the extent of diversity that visits here. I haven't been around long enough to remember much of pdenninggolden, but I do remember her level headed posting amongst the bickering that blows up here from time to time. I respected her as fellow passionate fan.

Return to Chicago Bulls