Image ImageImage Image

OT: Pizza

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

HINrichPolice
General Manager
And1: 1,706

Re: OT: Pizza 

Post#41 » by HINrichPolice » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:35 pm

Grand.Champ wrote:
HINrichPolice wrote:There was this place down at U of I with some killer deep dish pizza. I just remember going to events and meetings just because I knew they would order it (thank you, Engineers in Residence, for all the free meals!). I can't believe I forgot the name. Some other Illini folk here will surely help me out.

It was Papa Dells, and it was only good when you were drunk!

Only when you were drunk? Are you kidding me? That stuff is good sober, drunk, while sleeping, in a coma, etc.
CONTENDERS FIND A WAY
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,300

Post#42 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:35 pm

Grand.Champ wrote:
HINrichPolice wrote:There was this place down at U of I with some killer deep dish pizza. I just remember going to events and meetings just because I knew they would order it (thank you, Engineers in Residence, for all the free meals!). I can't believe I forgot the name. Some other Illini folk here will surely help me out.

Yeah, Papa Dells. Not really close to Lous or Giordanos. IMO
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,683

Post#43 » by DuckIII » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:38 pm

HINrichPolice wrote:
Grand.Champ wrote:

Only when you were drunk? Are you kidding me? That stuff is good sober, drunk, while sleeping, in a coma, etc.

It was Papa Dells, and its the only good deep dish (Chicago style, anyway) that I've found downstate. And yes, it was good sober or drunk.

Their square cut, thin crust was even better though.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#44 » by Cliff Levingston » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:38 pm

It probably depends a lot on what you like on your pizza. Cliff Levingston could understand why people don't think Lou Malnati's is the best pizza they've ever had if they didn't get pepperoni on it. Cliff Levingston has had it without pepperoni many times and it makes a gigantic difference.

The perfect food would be Lou Malnati's sausage and pepperoni with Pequod's caramelized crust. If such a heavenly creation existed, Cliff Levingston would eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day for the rest of his life. He'd probably gain 600 lbs, but it'd be worth it.
Happily married guy
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#45 » by Happily married guy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:38 pm

Has anyone here ever tried Salerno's!

I first tried it at age 14 (1968) in the back room of their bar in Berwyn before they expanded into a full time restaurant.

I think that the original locations are closed now, but they have locations open in St. Charles, Chicago, Burr Ridge, Bolingbrook, and Oak Park.

I believe that it is still a family run business with the second gereration opening additional restaurants in Aurora, Glenview, Hodgkins, Lisle and Gilbert, Arizona.

(Yes, I copied this from the WEB)

Their original pizza is more like a thin crust, but like none I have ever tried since. It is a little more bread like than most, but the key is just load and loads of cheese!
Never give up. Never surrender.
gabroo23
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#46 » by gabroo23 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:02 pm

pizza metro is the best.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,300

Post#47 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:06 pm

What about types of pizza toppings fellas? Or is that thread worthy on its own.

I like some outlandish ones from this great little place I know. Honey Mustard Pizza, Buffalo Chicken, BBQ Chicken, and Baked Potato are all really good.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Eyeballs
Bench Warmer
And1: 35

Post#48 » by Eyeballs » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:07 pm

North Side: Pequod's
South Side: Palermo's on Six Trey & Hamlin. The best.
Burbs: Don't ask me, ask the guy wearing the tie
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#49 » by sonny » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:12 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Lou Malnati
KeithBoothfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 198

Post#50 » by KeithBoothfan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:13 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:What about types of pizza toppings fellas? Or is that thread worthy on its own.

I like some outlandish ones from this great little place I know. Honey Mustard Pizza, Buffalo Chicken, BBQ Chicken, and Baked Potato are all really good.

I'm sure those toppings taste good and all, but once they are included, you should not be calling the resulting dish "pizza" anymore.

[/pizza snob]
Can I borrow a feeling?

Care for a ViciousFlogging? I'm your guy!
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,889

Post#51 » by MAQ » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:20 pm

im a sausage man (in before the "you like sausage jokes")

i absolutely adore domino's buffalo chicken pizza though...it's amazing
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
Grand Champ
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#52 » by Grand Champ » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:It probably depends a lot on what you like on your pizza. Cliff Levingston could understand why people don't think Lou Malnati's is the best pizza they've ever had if they didn't get pepperoni on it. Cliff Levingston has had it without pepperoni many times and it makes a gigantic difference.

The perfect food would be Lou Malnati's sausage and pepperoni with Pequod's caramelized crust. If such a heavenly creation existed, Cliff Levingston would eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day for the rest of his life. He'd probably gain 600 lbs, but it'd be worth it.

Pequod's pepperoni is the tops! Get a sausage, canadian bacon & pepperoni pan pizza from Pequods and you will be in heaven! Pork lovers heaven!
Grand Champ
Banned User

Post#53 » by Grand Champ » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Happily married guy wrote:Has anyone here ever tried Salerno's!

Yes, we have that delivered to where we work on special occasions. Most of the time we have giordano's or cosi crap pizza delivered but Salerno's has very good thin crust! Not the best but very good!
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,081
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#54 » by Clint Eastwood » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:28 pm

Grand.Champ wrote:
Cliff Levingston wrote:It probably depends a lot on what you like on your pizza. Cliff Levingston could understand why people don't think Lou Malnati's is the best pizza they've ever had if they didn't get pepperoni on it. Cliff Levingston has had it without pepperoni many times and it makes a gigantic difference.

Pequod's pepperoni is the tops! Get a sausage, canadian bacon & pepperoni pan pizza from Pequods and you will be in heaven! Pork lovers heaven!

actually the best pure tasting pepperoni i have tasted is on the stuffed pizza at eduardo's . they have the whitest cheese on the earth as well. it is great stuffed pizza. however, for some reason 1 hour after eating stuffed eduardos pizza, i nearly crap my pants. so i guess this fact holds me back from eating it too often.
We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton. -BrooklynBulls
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#55 » by Cliff Levingston » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:08 pm

KeithBoothfan wrote:I'm sure those toppings taste good and all, but once they are included, you should not be calling the resulting dish "pizza" anymore.

[/pizza snob]

Totally agreed. Cliff Levingston went to college in Iowa where the only pizza place is often "Happy Joe's" which is like cardboard with ketchup on it, yet everyone out there loves it. Why? Because they have great "taco pizza." Well then, it's not really pizza... it's just a big tostada.
NoSkyy
Assistant Coach

Post#56 » by NoSkyy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:16 pm

After reading this thread, I've decided it is of the utmost importance to go and eat at Lou Malnati's tonight.
:D
Miltpalaciofanclub
Bench Warmer
And1: 93

Post#57 » by Miltpalaciofanclub » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:18 pm

Eyeballs wrote:North Side: Pequod's
South Side: Palermo's on Six Trey & Hamlin. The best.

Agree on both counts. Palermo's on 63rd is amazing as long as you don't mind a sweeter sauce.
Rerisen wrote: There was a big thread on the GB making fun of Austin Rivers for his 8 PER and only playing cuz his dad is the coach. Snell's is even worse.... who's kid is he, Gar's?
Ben Wilson25
Rookie
And1: 530

Post#58 » by Ben Wilson25 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 pm

Big fan of Piece and Aurelio's that have already been mentioned. But if you're looking for the best thin crust square cut on earth its got to be Nino's across from the Lincoln Mall in Matteson. Via Carducci's on Division is pretty good too.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,683

Post#59 » by DuckIII » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:35 pm

By the way, the best Pizza I've ever had is from Di Carlo's Pizza in Virden, Illinois. But I wouldn't expect any of you up-staters to have any idea what I'm talking about.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DFolks
Veteran
And1: 208

Post#60 » by DFolks » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:32 pm

PIZZA is one the reasons Chicago is one of the top cities in the world.. My neighborhood (Rogers Park/Edgewater/North tip of Uptown) literally has 10 top notch pizza places that are all in the 75th percentile in pizza places in the world. To add to that, there are also three places that range from bad to mediocre in my opinion. However, this is ok because their are always bad seeds. They are JB Albertos, Giodanos, Carmens, Papa Romeos, Papa Murphy's, Barry's Spot, Apart Pizza Company, Pizza Aroma, Leona's, and Pizza Hut with Primo Pizza, Little Ceaser's, and Rosati's being the three mediocre places.

Gotta Love The Hood FOLKS

Return to Chicago Bulls