Image ImageImage Image

Deng sat out of night practice session on Tuesday

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

back_like_crack
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Deng sat out of night practice session on Tuesday 

Post#21 » by back_like_crack » Thu Oct 1, 2009 2:43 pm

boogydown wrote:Can't wait until the Bulls realize they need to trade this guy.

1). He can't shoot the 3
2). He is injury prone
3). He doesn't fit long term with this team (especially if we sign Wade)

Once he improves, we need to trade him quickly for a PF or long term SG/SF solution.

he seem cautious about it, vinny didnt say it was hurting. just going about it slowly. this his first time really putting this much pressure on it, dont sound like a big prob. he's had 7 months to heal it, if its still bad then he just needs surgery. or retire
sanjay_varma
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#22 » by sanjay_varma » Thu Oct 1, 2009 2:51 pm

The real crime is that when this stress fracture was diagnosed last season, Deng could have opted for surgery which would have FIXED THE PROBLEM. Instead, he acted like a pu**y and chose to heal by resting.

How's that strategy working out for you, Deng? You at 100% yet?
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#23 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Thu Oct 1, 2009 2:57 pm

sanjay_varma wrote:The real crime is that when this stress fracture was diagnosed last season, Deng could have opted for surgery which would have FIXED THE PROBLEM. Instead, he acted like a pu**y and chose to heal by resting.

I know - what a pussy - trying to play through the injury and whatnot.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Grand Champ
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#24 » by Grand Champ » Thu Oct 1, 2009 3:02 pm

IBT 50 pagez
back_like_crack
Banned User

Post#25 » by back_like_crack » Thu Oct 1, 2009 3:10 pm

deng was only expected to miss 2 weeks then it went from 2 weeks to a month to the rest of the season plus the playoffs.he will play this season but u somehow can see it wont be all 82 games for some reason. thats the good in having jj, i have no prob wit him taking his starting role. i know he hasnt played yet against the rest of the league but i bet he turns out better then deng. and who will accept his contract. ppl talk about hughes but he can play. i'd take hughes for deng. knicks would go for it cause lu brings alot to the table for them. helps the summer of signing lebron even for chi
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,704

Post#26 » by DuckIII » Thu Oct 1, 2009 3:12 pm

Don't we want our players and team to exercise caution with regard to potential injuries in the pre-season? Without reservation I want the Bulls to ease Deng back into it, just as I will want end expect them to do with a bench player like Gray when he comes off of his stress fracture (where are the Gray is a pussy threads by the way?).

If Deng rests from some practices, or even a pre-season game, I won't care. I'll care if he actually gets injured and misses real games. When that happens, someone wake me up.

Being cautious with a prior injury is not the same thing as being injured.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#27 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Thu Oct 1, 2009 3:15 pm

back_like_crack wrote:deng was only expected to miss 2 weeks then it went from 2 weeks to a month to the rest of the season plus the playoffs.

Thats because those fine Bull's Doctors actually misdiagnosed the injury. It was a stress fracture, and there was never a 2 week or one month timetable given for a return from that injury.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#28 » by Hangtime84 » Thu Oct 1, 2009 3:15 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:
sanjay_varma wrote:The real crime is that when this stress fracture was diagnosed last season, Deng could have opted for surgery which would have FIXED THE PROBLEM. Instead, he acted like a pu**y and chose to heal by resting.

I know - what a pussy - trying to play through the injury and whatnot.

not a pussy, but a dumb ass he just made his own injury worse. I just hope he trying to take it slow on his recovery process now
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
back_like_crack
Banned User

Post#29 » by back_like_crack » Thu Oct 1, 2009 3:18 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:
back_like_crack wrote:deng was only expected to miss 2 weeks then it went from 2 weeks to a month to the rest of the season plus the playoffs.

Thats because those fine Bull's Doctors actually misdiagnosed the injury. It was a stress fracture, and there was never a 2 week or one month timetable given for a return from that injury.

they said 2-4 weeks and he should be ready.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by DuckIII » Thu Oct 1, 2009 3:23 pm

back_like_crack wrote:
Magilla_Gorilla wrote:

they said 2-4 weeks and he should be ready.

I don't know why I'm bothering, but did you not read what MG wrote to you. They misdiagnosed the injury when they said that. They initially believed it was a bone bruise. But it turned out that his **** leg was broken, son.

What don't you get about that?
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,104

Post#31 » by cool007 » Thu Oct 1, 2009 3:27 pm

Why are we making something out of NOTHING.

Remember these are 2 a day practices and he might be going hard for all we know and just wanted to sit out 1 of the practice - no big deal.

If he didn't come back the next day (Wednesday) and if he hadn't practiced the next day, I would be worried but he did practice the next day. So that tells me that it was only a precaution.

If he starts skipping a game or two in the preseason (let alone reg. season), then yes, it's time to panic and blame both Deng and the Organization.

Right now, it's kind of premature.
AAU Teammate
RealGM
And1: 803

Post#32 » by AAU Teammate » Thu Oct 1, 2009 3:35 pm

Everyone who's fed up saying "get on the court Deng" have no idea what they're talking about.

All athletes have aches and pains. They'll say they're 100% when they're just able to do everything they usually do.

Some of these guys never really recover from their injuries like you or I would. They just keep playing til theyre careers done and add new ones along the way.

Everyone calm the f down
Blue Note
Starter
And1: 43

Post#33 » by Blue Note » Thu Oct 1, 2009 4:45 pm

If he's not at 100%, I'm inclined to allow that he sit out a practice in September. Considering the positive reports about Deng's dedication in the offseason, I don't understand why anyone still questions this guy's character. It's not like he's riding dirtbikes and getting injured. Deng's going to be the third option this year, and I couldn't be more excited to see what he can do.

He's only 24, come on now.
"Just gotta stand in front of him," Butler said, as if it were simple.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#34 » by Rerisen » Thu Oct 1, 2009 4:51 pm

Panicking is premature. But it was also premature the last few weeks how much it was taken on faith and was figured into our season that "with a fully healthy Deng this year..." so and so was going to happen, or the degree to which we wouldn't miss Ben.

Considering the last two seasons, we should not put a peak Deng into our equations till we see him out there performing well, or at least not till he declares himself 100% with no soreness.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#35 » by BrooklynBulls » Thu Oct 1, 2009 4:54 pm

Rerisen wrote:But it was also premature the last few weeks how much it was taken on faith and was figured into our season that "with a fully healthy Deng this year..."

Come on. The context of every conversation about Deng is "IF he can stay healthy, IF he can play 36 minutes a game, IF he's like Deng of 06." Absolutely nobody is taking anything for granted; they are merely optimistically assuming. Nearly everyone understands and acknowledges the possibility that Deng will be missing time again.
Blue Note
Starter
And1: 43

Post#36 » by Blue Note » Thu Oct 1, 2009 5:05 pm

Rerisen wrote:Panicking is premature. But it was also premature the last few weeks how much it was taken on faith and was figured into our season that "with a fully healthy Deng this year..." so and so was going to happen, or the degree to which we wouldn't miss Ben.

Considering the last two seasons, we should not put a peak Deng into our equations till we see him out there performing well, or at least not till he declares himself 100% with no soreness.

This is a good point, and if he's not at or very close to 100%, I'd rather not see him play at all given the history. So simply, if he's out there, he'd better feel really good. When he's healthy, he does have that kind of impact, IMO. There's no reason to expect him to get injured again if he's healthy enough to play.
"Just gotta stand in front of him," Butler said, as if it were simple.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by DuckIII » Thu Oct 1, 2009 5:07 pm

Rerisen wrote:Panicking is premature. But it was also premature the last few weeks how much it was taken on faith and was figured into our season that "with a fully healthy Deng this year..." so and so was going to happen, or the degree to which we wouldn't miss Ben.

How else can we make a projection? Right now, he's projected to play. When he's no longer projected to play, or if he plays like ass, then I suppose things will change.

Rocket science it is not. I've never made a preseason projection based on the assumption that cleared players won't play. Its presumed by all of us that preseason projections come with the caveat of team health. Not just for Deng, but for all players. There's no other way to make a projection since injuries are impossible to predict in both frequency and severity.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,167

Post#38 » by League Circles » Thu Oct 1, 2009 5:17 pm

Yeah I agree with those who lean towards being upset a bit by this. The reason for that is that VDN told Doug (at least I think it was in Doug's interview IIRC) within the last few days that Deng was healthy. It's just more BS from the organization. I have no problem with Deng, but I do have a problem with the organization's treatment of Deng, from the contract, to the non-trade when I was crying for it BEFORE he got injured last season and the season before, to the multiple mixed signals and BS about his current condition. If him missing practice is related to soreness or pain, that's a problem, and it makes the org. look really bad IMO for saying publicly that he's healthy, especially when they go out of their way to say how hard he's worked all summer (which, of course, we hear every year yet he doesn't improve IMO). If his missing practice is purely a systematic, pre-planned precautionary measure, it can be a slippery slope that will affect our team on the court.

I mean, if it's not related to pain or soreness, does this mean that they will only play him 30 mpg on the second night of back to backs in December, as opposed to the, say, 35 mpg he plays on the first night of back to backs? And if so, when will that end? Never? If it's not related to pain, and they say he's healthy, what's the time table for full activity, if it's even ever planned?

Also, how many apologies are people going to make for Luol Deng - or rather for the idea of Deng on our team? I love the guy as much as most of us but he's not a special player, and in order to win in this league you have to act very very decisively with non-special players. The second they show signed of being substantially prone to injury, you have to act quickly to see if there's a way to get rid off them wisely. Instead of doing that during the past two years, the Bulls stuck with him as if he was Scottie Pippen. Now it's too late, and Deng will likely have to play two entire healthy seasons to be a positive in a trade again. That's the thing about the NBA, really good players can very very quickly become negatives in trades after they sign their first extention. Teams must be conscious of that and be always thinking and talking of trades with these guys, because you don't want to EVER be in a position of having an untradeable contract taking up 20-25% of your cap room, it makes it very very hard to win. The Bulls obliviously let 2 major opportunities to avoid that slip by, and now have already lost one great player because of it. Who's the next good player we have to lose due to these mistakes? Hinrich? Tyrus-assuming he becomes good:)? Salmons? Miller? Lebron James - because we can't afford a second max FA to pair with him like a NJ or some others can? All so we can cling to a player who was only slightly better, when healthy, than his much lower paid alternatives like Noc, Salmons, James Johnson, or some MLE type players?

Deng's not a pussy, but I'm starting to think Bulls management and ownership are.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#39 » by Rerisen » Thu Oct 1, 2009 5:19 pm

BrooklynBulls wrote:Come on. The context of every conversation about Deng is "IF he can stay healthy, IF he can play 36 minutes a game, IF he's like Deng of 06." Absolutely nobody is taking anything for granted; they are merely optimistically assuming. Nearly everyone understands and acknowledges the possibility that Deng will be missing time again.

The word 'If' was used liberally I'm sure, but the strength of the arguments suggested people were eating it up pretty good that Deng was well on his way to 100% recovery by seasons start. Because that is what he said he was aiming for. And it may still happen. But with Deng, these little hiccups are concerning.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#40 » by ATRAIN53 » Thu Oct 1, 2009 5:21 pm

good. i hope they sit him a lot and it means more playing time for James Johnson.

because it's only a matter of when "Glass Joe" Deng goes down with the season ending injury. so the more time Johnson gets now on the floor with starters and pre-season games the better. because he's going to need to be ready to step in and replace Deng at some point this season.

i'm predicting mid December.
(and that will be after Deng has a MONSTER November and there is chatter of him having All-Star potential)

maybe we should start a pool?

Return to Chicago Bulls