Image ImageImage Image

Captains to be announced today

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Chi
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,376

Re: Captains to be announced today 

Post#101 » by Chi » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:59 pm

I cant believe a guy who jz said we will lose alot, is a captain...Where is this guy going to lead us???
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,701

Post#102 » by DuckIII » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:07 pm

Chi wrote:I cant believe a guy who jz said we will lose alot, is a captain...Where is this guy going to lead us???

Good god. He didn't say that. For the life of me, I can't understand how so many of you read that quote to be Deng conceding failure. He said that even if it does happen early - not that it necessarily will happen - that he believes the team is still going to have a successful season because it has the right mix of players.

I'll say it again: His statement was one of confidence in the likelihood of success of the team.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#103 » by theanimal23 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:08 pm

coldfish wrote:The true elite players of the league generally don't defer to the likes of Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich and Luol Deng. Maybe a little bit their rookie year, but you can generally see them chomping at the bit. MJ, Bird, Magic and more recently Paul, Lebron, etc. grabbed leadership. They didn't have it handed to them.

Thank You. My opinion of Rose is that he may never be a true franchise player unless he becomes more aggressive. Last year, his 'excuse' was that he was a rookie. That was understandable. This year, he needs to take command of this team.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,086

Post#104 » by AirP. » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:47 pm

DuckIII wrote:I've never, ever seen this from any of our youngs guys, even when our young guys were Deng, Kirk, Duhon and Gordon. Thabo and Tyrus, and even Noah for awhile, were relegated to lesser roles because of coaching decisions that they couldn't control, but I've never thought of any of our younger players over the years as deferrential on the court.

As for Rose's aggressiveness, that's on him.

This is something we could argue all day, I think Rose was way too passive because of his respect(for the lack of a better word) of some of the vet decent talent on the team.

I've never been a fan of having a captain/leader not one of the top 2 or 3 players on the team. They need to have the skill level to be able to lead by example on the court and get players to believe in them. I know when I played on teams that had "vets" as the captains even though they weren't the top players it did cause negativity from time to time on and off the court.

Tyrus could care less, that's a negative for his skill level, Gordon was the same way but it enhanced his game. Kirk took what he was given, same with Deng... Rose's game is more about creating his oppertunties, not just taking the open shot like Deng, Hirnich and Duhon. If Rose only had the mentality of Tyrus or Gordon... too bad only one of them had the high skill level for that mentality.
Dieselbound&Down
Lead Assistant
And1: 420

Post#105 » by Dieselbound&Down » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:22 pm

AirP. wrote:I've never been a fan of having a captain/leader not one of the top 2 or 3 players on the team. They need to have the skill level to be able to lead by example on the court and get players to believe in them. I know when I played on teams that had "vets" as the captains even though they weren't the top players it did cause negativity from time to time on and off the court.

I've never been a fan of teams where the top 2 or 3 players weren't leaders.

Right now, the team feels Kirk and Deng are leaders. Maybe they also see them as 2 of the top 3 players. If Noah and Rose make it clear they are the top 2, I really hope they naturally assume strong leadership roles. If not, I agree this team will have problems. And Kirk and Deng will not be it.
Dieselbound&Down
Lead Assistant
And1: 420

Post#106 » by Dieselbound&Down » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:26 pm

AirP. wrote:This is something we could argue all day, I think Rose was way too passive because of his respect(for the lack of a better word) of some of the vet decent talent on the team.

So this is a problem caused by the vets, the organization? Not sure what you are saying other than it seems you are laying the *blame* anywhere but at Rose. If Rose wants this to be his team, it is there for the taking. He just needs to want it and act the part. I hope he does and I don't see any issues with the vets letting Rose step into that role.

[and if you think the vets would cause issue with that, I think you are completely full of crap and don't have a good grasp on this team]
Bullsville
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#107 » by Bullsville » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:35 pm

I've never been a fan of having a captain/leader not one of the top 2 or 3 players on the team.

*You've been warned about this repeatedly - Duck*
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#108 » by DanTown8587 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:44 pm

I will say this about the whole Rose captain thing, he is bucking the common trend of young players coming in and taking the reins right away. The dozen or so truly great players in this league, they are all guys who come in and lead not only vocally, but on the basketball court. The ONLY guy who is on that list and has a demeanor similar to Rose is Tim Duncan. But Duncan always plays on veteran teams and on the court its no question he is the leader.

This is by far my biggest concern about Derrick Rose going forward. I think he can be real good and an all-star in this league. But I don't know if he is that next level, Hall of Fame type player. And if he isn't, that doesn't at all make him bad or mean he hasn't achieved or was a bust. It just means he isn't at that level.
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#109 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:54 pm

Rose will never be a vocal guy, but he leads by example, and carries the team. Whether he's speaking up or not, the teammates will follow him.

DanTown8587 wrote:This is by far my biggest concern about Derrick Rose going forward. I think he can be real good and an all-star in this league. But I don't know if he is that next level, Hall of Fame type player.

I have to disagree. After watching his efforts in the playoffs, when he was only a rookie, he is going to accomplish so much in his career.
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,086

Post#110 » by AirP. » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:18 pm

Dieselbound&Down wrote:
AirP. wrote:This is something we could argue all day, I think Rose was way too passive because of his respect(for the lack of a better word) of some of the vet decent talent on the team.

So this is a problem caused by the vets, the organization? Not sure what you are saying other than it seems you are laying the *blame* anywhere but at Rose. If Rose wants this to be his team, it is there for the taking. He just needs to want it and act the part. I hope he does and I don't see any issues with the vets letting Rose step into that role.

[and if you think the vets would cause issue with that, I think you are completely full of crap and don't have a good grasp on this team]

This also happens at the HS and College level, some don't care what others think, some players do. To some players it's a form of respect. It's not to BLAME someone for how they act towards others, it's just who they are.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#111 » by Polynice4Pippen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:17 pm

If Rose is going to be looked upon to carry the load every night and make the big plays down the stretch of games then it's kind of silly to think he isn't a captain. As I posted earlier, with 30 seconds left in a one-point game are all those guys who voted Hinrich/Deng/Hunter captains going to be looking for THEM to take charge or for Rose?
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:

Return to Chicago Bulls