Image ImageImage Image

Captains to be announced today

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

#1TKfan
General Manager
And1: 188

Re: Captains to be announced today 

Post#26 » by #1TKfan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:32 pm

670 the score just announced deng, hunter and hinrich are captains.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#27 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:33 pm

JeremyB0001 wrote:
Magilla_Gorilla wrote:
Dr Manhattan wrote:If the players are voting, I would be stunned to see Deng voted in. I get the feeling that most guys (especially the younger ones) on our team don't really care for Deng. And his on-court performance certainly can't be helping.

Based on what? Who are 'the younger players'? Because I know that Thomas has worked out with Deng in off seasons past, and Noah has spoken about hanging out with Deng in the past.

I would imagine that everyone likes Lu; he appears to be one of the nicest guys in the league.

Yes, I'm curious as to this comment about players not respecting Deng. I get the "feeling" that you're entirely incorrect.
Why so serious?
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#28 » by coldfish » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:33 pm

If I was coach, I would appoint Noah and Rose. I would tell them that this team is only going to go as far as they lead them, so start leading.

I would also sit down with Deng and try to help him. IMO, and this is pure speculation, Deng is trying to be a leader on offense and many of his "my turn now" shots are a result of that. I would tell Deng that I need Deng to play his game and let everything else come to him, not force it. Taking away a "leadership" mantle may help Deng achieve that.
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Post#29 » by suckfish » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:37 pm

Ideally, Rose & Noah, for reasons stated above by coldfish.

670 the score just announced deng, hunter and hinrich are captains.

If the above is true, then it's stupid. That said, I don't really take much care into who we label 'captains'. You don't need an official title to be a leader.

It's really not that important.
DaBulls82
Head Coach
And1: 868

Post#30 » by DaBulls82 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:37 pm

I figured it would be Deng/Kirk and someone else.

My 3 would have been Kirk/Rose/Noah.

I'd be a bit disappointed if Rose didn't at least ask to be one. This is his team and he needs to take control of it.
14 years is a nice run but it's time to end the Paxson era.

ImageImageImage
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#31 » by Jvaughn » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:38 pm

#1TKfan wrote:670 the score just announced deng, hunter and hinrich are captains.

Kinda called it!
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
Dr Manhattan
Senior
And1: 0

Post#32 » by Dr Manhattan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:38 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:
Dr Manhattan wrote:If the players are voting, I would be stunned to see Deng voted in. I get the feeling that most guys (especially the younger ones) on our team don't really care for Deng. And his on-court performance certainly can't be helping.

Based on what? Who are 'the younger players'? Because I know that Thomas has worked out with Deng in off seasons past, and Noah has spoken about hanging out with Deng in the past.

Watching games, no one really seems to interract well with Deng like a lot of players do with each other. Last year, it seemed like Luol only interracted mostly with the "old guard" guys he came in with like BG, Kirk, and Noce. Well, those guys are mostly gone.

Also, in the articles when young players are talking about who they hang out with or what veterans on the team they talk to that help them out with this or that, Deng is hardly ever, or never mentioned.

Furthermore, put yourself in the players position. You got some guy being paid 12 million dollars a year to either be injured or play mediocre basketball in big minutes. And then he's always talking in the media like he's a leader or franchise cornerstone (which he's supposed to be, but isn't). It's natural human nature to have at least a small, sub-conscious sense of resentment for a guy like that.

And finally, Deng just doesn't seem like a very fun guy to be around. Does he to you? I know we're not constantly around these guys so there's no way of telling, but you can glean little tidbits if you read between the lines a bit.

I could be completely off on this, but this is just the vibe I get about Deng's relationship with his teammates. I'm not saying they outcast him or anything, because this is a team full of good character, decent guys from all accounts, but I wouldn't say he's in the top half on this roster of guys the other players are most comfortable around.
It's the return of the good Dr., bitches!
Dr Manhattan
Senior

Post#33 » by Dr Manhattan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:41 pm

Looks like I was wrong. Oh well, I still think it's possible guys just don't wanna hurt Deng's feelings by removing him from captain status all of a sudden. Could throw his focus off and create a rift. Deng is clearly not fit to be a leader. Can we all agree on that at least?
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,750

Post#34 » by dougthonus » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:44 pm

I could be completely off on this, but this is just the vibe I get about Deng's relationship with his teammates. I'm not saying they outcast him or anything, because this is a team full of good character, decent guys from all accounts, but I wouldn't say he's in the top half on this roster of guys the other players are most comfortable around.

You're incorrect on this. From talking with the players, I can tell you that Deng is definitely one of the most popular guys on the team. If I were to just predict whom I thought the most popular guy on the team was based on talking with players I would have guessed Luol, followed by Noah.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
#1TKfan
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#35 » by #1TKfan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:46 pm

If the above is true, then it's stupid. That said, I don't really take much care into who we label 'captains'. You don't need an official title to be a leader.

It's really not that important.

i totally agree.

but i HAVE to think they voted for deng cause they were worried it might hurt his psych.
Dr Manhattan
Senior

Post#36 » by Dr Manhattan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:47 pm

dougthonus wrote:

You're incorrect on this. From talking with the players, I can tell you that Deng is definitely one of the most popular guys on the team. If I were to just predict whom I thought the most popular guy on the team was based on talking with players I would have guessed Luol, followed by Noah.

Well, I for one am shocked. But that's good to hear. One of my main concerns going forward with Luol (aside from his injuries and mediocre play) was that our highest paid player seemingly didn't fit on or off the court with most of his teammates. This is a pleasant surprise.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#37 » by MrSparkle » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:54 pm

Does this really need to be debated? It's a no-brainer. Kirk and Luol are of course going to be returning captains. It would be really humiliating to strip them of those titles. Hunter is basically a coach wearing hi-tops and shorts.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#38 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:55 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Does this really need to be debated? It's a no-brainer. Kirk and Luol are of course going to be returning captains. It would be really humiliating to strip them of those titles. Hunter is basically a coach wearing hi-tops and short-shorts.

fixed.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,632

Post#39 » by DuckIII » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:56 pm

Dr Manhattan wrote:Looks like I was wrong. Oh well, I still think it's possible guys just don't wanna hurt Deng's feelings by removing him from captain status all of a sudden. Could throw his focus off and create a rift. Deng is clearly not fit to be a leader. Can we all agree on that at least?

Why would anyone agree to something so unknow-able to the outside fan?
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#40 » by kyrv » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:59 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Dr Manhattan wrote:Looks like I was wrong. Oh well, I still think it's possible guys just don't wanna hurt Deng's feelings by removing him from captain status all of a sudden. Could throw his focus off and create a rift. Deng is clearly not fit to be a leader. Can we all agree on that at least?

Because he's pwned himself in this thread and is now grasping at straws.

----------------------------

It is Rose's team. He's just not a captain. :o
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#41 » by League Circles » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:01 pm

I'm fine with Deng and Kirk being Captains I guess. I actually think Deng would be good. Kirk is poor at communicating with the refs - he's always whining.

I don't think guys who laugh as much as Lindsey should be on the team, so I'm definitely not for him being a captain. I've never really agreed with having the players vote for the captains. If I were Vinny I'd just appoint Deng, Rose and Miller to be captains.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Dr Manhattan
Senior

Post#42 » by Dr Manhattan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:01 pm

kyrv wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Because he's pwned himself in this thread and is now grasping at straws.

----------------------------

It is Rose's team. He's just not a captain. :o

So in the 6 years Deng has been here, about 4 of them he's been captain, you think he's shown good leadership qualities? Do I need to go back to all the times Deng has "pwned" himself when the team needed leadership most?
Ajosu
Head Coach
And1: 103

Post#43 » by Ajosu » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:06 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:Rose isn't a vocal team leader, it's never been his thing.

Serious question: Hasn't Kirk been a captain for a while now? If so, I remember him not being such a vocal leader when he first became a captain.

Anyhow, I'd vote for Kirk, Rose, and Noah. Seems to me like the only good reason to make Deng a captain is so we don't hurt his feelings. He might not be horrible as a leader, but I just really think Noah deserves to be a captain. So if Deng must be a captain, I'd say Kirk, Deng, Noah.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#44 » by AKfanatic » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:08 pm

Kirk is an obvious choice, just listening to quotes from Rose about Hinrich the past season tells me that Hinrich does in fact show leadership qualities behind the scenes. He has also gotten more vocal the past season or two on the court. Lindsey..meh. But he is the elder statesman and i'm sure his knowledge about the league and life in general is a big bonus for guys like Rose. Luol has always seemed to be a guy that most the team liked, and he's not a bad option as he'd probably be the first guy to lead an injured Bull away from our training staff and into a second opinion.

I'd be so interested to see the voting results for this and past seasons selections
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Post#45 » by samwana » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:09 pm

Noah should have been one of them, he's our most vocal leader and I like the way he leads with his energy and enthusiasm.

Return to Chicago Bulls