Image ImageImage Image

Captains to be announced today

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Re: Captains to be announced today 

Post#61 » by jax98 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:36 pm

Slip7 wrote:deng as a captain is a joke. hes so emo

For an emo, he seems very up-beat and positive going into this season.

:dontknow:

Aren't emo people just lifes natural losers, who complain for no reason, whine about life and listens to horrible music?

If so, I have a more fitting candidate for that position:

Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#62 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:41 pm

Stephen Jackson was born without nipples.

True story.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Slip7
Veteran
And1: 69

Post#63 » by Slip7 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:59 pm

Morten Jensen wrote:
Slip7 wrote:deng as a captain is a joke. hes so emo

For an emo, he seems very up-beat and positive going into this season.

:dontknow:

Aren't emo people just lifes natural losers, who complain for no reason, whine about life and listens to horrible music?

If so, I have a more fitting candidate for that position:

true, and a fitting choice, but i just look back at games last year where vinny was mic'd and had to tell deng to stay positive or something along those lines. i guess since then i lost my confidence in deng
Slip7
Veteran
And1: 69

Post#64 » by Slip7 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:01 pm

double post
girlygirl
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#65 » by girlygirl » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:59 pm

Personally I don't think team captain and team leader are necessarily the same thing.
As far as I can tell, team captain is basically a title given out mainly so they can do the stuff like meet with the refs before the game and, if there are any type o weird things that come up during the game, they can (supposedly) talk to the refs with a little more leeway than the other players may have.

You can be a team captain without being the best leader. You can be a team leader without being a captain.

Also, doesn't the player have to ask to be put on the list for voting? Maybe neither Rose nor Noah even wanted to be a captain.

Third, both Hunter and Hinrich have done a lot to help with Rose's transition to the NBA (Derrick has said this himself many times). Even if they aren't the most vocal person in the world (as we know Kirk isn't), that doesn't mean they aren't a good mentor or leader. Hinrich has been a team captain for every year except his rookie campaign -- that has to say something about the respect he has among his teammates, I would think.

Anyway, it's basically a title without a ton of meaning to it. I'm sure if he wants to be, Rose will be a team captain in the near future, maybe even as soon as next year.
JackFinn
RealGM
And1: 1,605

Post#66 » by JackFinn » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:16 pm

Vinny's Captain. This is meaningless.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#67 » by Polynice4Pippen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:24 am

There's actually a real chance that none of our "captains" will even be on the floor down the stretch for many close games. So why would anyone on the team look to them for leadership then? Rose and Noah as captains should've been very simple. It's a new day, a new era. Sorry Kurt and Lu.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#68 » by BigUps » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:30 am

VDN didn't label them, but we all know Rose and Noah are the captains of the team. Its really a moot point.
Bullsville
Banned User

Post#69 » by Bullsville » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:31 am

Polynice4Pippen wrote:There's actually a real chance that none of our "captains" will even be on the floor down the stretch for many close games. So why would anyone on the team look to them for leadership then? Rose and Noah as captains should've been very simple. It's a new day, a new era. Sorry Kurt and Lu.

Maybe someone will ask the players why they voted for Deng and Kirk?
Bullsville
Banned User

Post#70 » by Bullsville » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:32 am

BigUps wrote:VDN didn't label them, but we all know Rose and Noah are the captains of the team. Its really a moot point.

Not according to the players.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,825

Post#71 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:36 am

Polynice4Pippen wrote:There's actually a real chance that none of our "captains" will even be on the floor down the stretch for many close games. So why would anyone on the team look to them for leadership then? Rose and Noah as captains should've been very simple. It's a new day, a new era. Sorry Kurt and Lu.

I don't understand this bandwagon following for Noah to be captain all of a sudden. Quite frankly, he had one good summer out of 3 in his career. Sure, there has been plenty games he has been sporadically decent in, but he played well in 1 playoff series. Then he shows a little something in the preseason and we all want to anoint him team captain? That's just crazy.

I understand why the franchise may not one to give that captain role to Derrick, just because they know he is the franchise and they'd probably prefer it if he just lead with his play, as opposed to having the extra responsibility of being a team captain.

I'm perfectly fine with Deng and Kirk being the captains, as many others said it's really not a big deal really but they've been with the team the longest, and they've both carried the bulk of the Bulls responsibilities for most of them as well. It should be the veterans that are the captains, and they are the longest tenured Bulls veterans on our team, so give it to them.

In regards to leaders, well that is a position open for Rose to fill and Noah if he keeps his head in check and proves that he can continue to build on his game every summer, and show that it wasn't a one off season fluke.
Why so serious?
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#72 » by BigUps » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:40 am

Bullsville wrote:
BigUps wrote:VDN didn't label them, but we all know Rose and Noah are the captains of the team. Its really a moot point.

Not according to the players.

Sure, we're talking about highly competitive people so I imagine that the honor to be named the captain of your team is a pretty big deal. However, once the ball is tipped off and the season begins its really a moot point.
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#73 » by sonny » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:45 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
I don't understand this bandwagon following for Noah to be captain all of a sudden. Quite frankly, he had one good summer out of 3 in his career. Sure, there has been plenty games he has been sporadically decent in, but he played well in 1 playoff series. Then he shows a little something in the preseason and we all want to anoint him team captain? That's just crazy.

Noah played well the second half of the season.
Bullsville
Banned User

Post#74 » by Bullsville » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:49 am

It should be the veterans that are the captains, and they are the longest tenured Bulls veterans on our team, so give it to them.

I say give it to who the players think should be captains.

Oh wait, that's what the Bulls did.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#75 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:53 am

sonny wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:

Noah played well the second half of the season.

Well give him a damn gold star.
Why so serious?
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#76 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:11 am

Teammates voted Hinrich as a captain for the sixth straight time out his seven NBA seasons.

"I try to take it seriously and do as much as I can to fulfill that role," Hinrich said. "You have to have a feel for the team and know when to say things and always try to lead by example.

"I have good relationships with all the guys. We have a lot of young guys. I try to bring them along as quickly as possible. I try to set an example by playing hard and bringing energy."

This is Deng's third straight season as captain and Hunter's first.

"It's just a signal of respect," Hunter said. "I'm going to be me. It's my nature. I just do what I do to try to help.

"What's good about this team is guys are able to speak their minds. Even if guys get a little rough, we don't care because we know it's for a greater good. At times you'll vent. And at times it'll be offensive. But it's not personal. And that's the way it should be."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... 2690.story
Why so serious?
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#77 » by DanTown8587 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:13 am

So something the players voted on is wrong? What? How? These guys voted for captains because they lead a ton more off the court that we don't see than what we do see on the court. Who am I to tell someone isn't leading them.

I think people are grasping to blast guys like Deng and Hinrich in this thread and prop up guys like Noah just because that is who THEY see fit to lead.
BullSoxChicago'sFinest
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#78 » by BullSoxChicago'sFinest » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:18 am

LOL, you guys need to look beyond the surface if you want to understand the innerworkings of the locker room, you may like Noah because he screams and had a good playoff series, but let's not also forget what was being said about him when he was having practice issues, fighting with coaches, etc. Just because the board hails Rose as the savior doesn't say anything about how he acts in practice or the lockerroom . It's not like how people on here hate Kirk for no reason yet he's one of the few who actually stood up for his teammates in a fight, sets good examples in practice, etc

I like having more than 1 captain. That way if one of the guys does something stupid or has a DUI or something, it's not as awkward
The Lord is saving my life; Trust in Him and you'll see the same : ): Daily Scripture Readings
Ask a saint like Padre Pio to ask Jesus to send you a conversion moment. What's the worst that can happen if you don't believe anyways? ;) Prayer works
BullSoxChicago'sFinest
Veteran

Post#79 » by BullSoxChicago'sFinest » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:21 am

The whole point of a captain is for off the court. This isn't some team 'vote for the best player' award. LOL these guys will be saved if they're in a tight spot at the end of a game and a player labeled 'captain' handles the ball?
The Lord is saving my life; Trust in Him and you'll see the same : ): Daily Scripture Readings
Ask a saint like Padre Pio to ask Jesus to send you a conversion moment. What's the worst that can happen if you don't believe anyways? ;) Prayer works
BullSoxChicago'sFinest
Veteran

Post#80 » by BullSoxChicago'sFinest » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:27 am

Ctownbulls wrote:
Hinrich has admitted that he is not a vocal leader, so if he and Rose both lack that quality then why shouldn't Rose be the captain over him.

Rose should step up and demand to be captain and grasp the team like it is his.

Rose needed to be a captain and I think Joakim should have been one also, he has more heart then anybody and is definitely vocal.

Get a clue man, there's a reason Hinrich was picked to stay and Gordon is gone, Rose has learned a ton from Kirk and is like his mentor. Seriously, this is some of the same logic where no one believed that Tyrus didn't hustle or practice in his early years because he yelled when he dunked and all that (at the time a lot of people thought it was made up by Sam Smith as some personal vendetta ). You really don't want your captain being late or missing practice

Return to Chicago Bulls