Image ImageImage Image

Bulls Waive Byars

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

#1TKfan
General Manager
And1: 188

Re: Bulls Waive Byars 

Post#21 » by #1TKfan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:46 pm

i guess pargos back isnt a big deal. that has to be the only reason that they waived byars. even if the back was iffy you would think they keep byars around just in case.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#22 » by AKfanatic » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:47 pm

anorexorcism wrote:Can we get a Derrick Byars appreciation thread? In it we can talk about how players' salaries determine their PT (Pargo) and whether they start on this team (Deng). Instead of this guy who would have been decent, we are going to be stuck with Pargo. I know everyone's looking forward to that.

Initially I was not on the Byars bandwagon but after realizing the alternative (Pargo) this pisses me off.

Maybe if I would have supported him more. Damn!

don't you mean initially you weren't on the Byars bandwagon but after realizing he was waived you saw another chance to bash the organization. :P I mean you did say what just two days ago that "There's a reason why Byars hasn't made the rotation for any NBA team in his career. He's just not that good.

When he meets regular season defenses we'll look back on this thread and laugh."

Shouldn't you be behind Paxdorf on this one?

As for the waiving...easy come easy go. He looked like a promising end of the bench guy, and who knows maybe we'll get him on a 10 day or two later on. Truth is he wasn't going to get many minutes with this team. Rose/Salmons/Hinrich will get nearly every guard minute while Deng/Salmons/JJ/TT will take all the SF minutes.
Grand Champ
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#23 » by Grand Champ » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:52 pm

Seriously someone needs to Tonya Harding Pargo
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,866

Post#24 » by dougthonus » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:53 pm

Grand.Champ wrote:Seriously someone needs to Tonya Harding Pargo

Why? You want to see Lindsay Hunter play?
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#25 » by BrooklynBulls » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:54 pm

dougthonus wrote:
I think if they had it to do over again they wouldn't pay Hunter, but they probably didn't think anyone was going to be worthy of keeping in camp, and they probably had to guarantee Hunter in order to make him not just retire.

It's pretty much exactly this. With only 12 players under contract, adding Hunter was a roster requirement. That basically removes 480k of his cost. Adding another player to the roster would mean that Hunter didn't HAVE to be signed to fulfill the requirements.

Sorry, Byars. Blame Hunter and this fickle economy.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,930

Post#26 » by biggestbullsfan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:56 pm

So we are already short handed.

Doug, is there any possibility that this only happened becuase they wanted to sign a veteran who can come in limited or something.

Like maybe a Juan dixon, Ronald Dupree or something.

There has to be some explanation for this. We are one injury away from being handicapped and putting Gibson at the 2.(A complete exaggeration of course)
apollocreed32
Veteran
And1: 5

Post#27 » by apollocreed32 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:56 pm

this would have been a decent idea yesderday... damn it all...
how many jab steps does it take to get to milwaukee?
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,866

Post#28 » by dougthonus » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:56 pm

BrooklynBulls wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
I think if they had it to do over again they wouldn't pay Hunter, but they probably didn't think anyone was going to be worthy of keeping in camp, and they probably had to guarantee Hunter in order to make him not just retire.

It's pretty much exactly this. With only 12 players under contract, adding Hunter was a roster requirement. That basically removes 480k of his cost. Adding another player to the roster would mean that Hunter didn't HAVE to be signed to fulfill the requirements.

Sorry, Byars. Blame Hunter and this fickle economy.

The league picks up 500k or so of the cost. That leaves about 400k left which is probably what it cost them to hire him as an assistant, but they probably figured they would bring in another vet at the min and basically break even on his cost and then just pay him more to be an assistant.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
apollocreed32
Veteran
And1: 5

Post#29 » by apollocreed32 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:57 pm

i dont think i remember a team coming into the season handicapped, by choice. this is gonna be some season lol
how many jab steps does it take to get to milwaukee?
Ben Wilson25
Rookie
And1: 531

Post#30 » by Ben Wilson25 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:57 pm

I already miss Derrick Byars. I think after all this is over, me and Derrick Byars should get an apartment together.
ballerkingn2
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#31 » by ballerkingn2 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:59 pm

Just anther sign of JR cheapness. We could of kept him and still been under the lux tax. Unless they have a big deal in play,or gonna move someone or have someone better in mind to me this makes little sense,but all the best to JB.
lu9
Veteran
And1: 49

Post#32 » by lu9 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:00 pm

AKfanatic wrote:
anorexorcism wrote:Can we get a Derrick Byars appreciation thread? In it we can talk about how players' salaries determine their PT (Pargo) and whether they start on this team (Deng). Instead of this guy who would have been decent, we are going to be stuck with Pargo. I know everyone's looking forward to that.

Initially I was not on the Byars bandwagon but after realizing the alternative (Pargo) this pisses me off.

Maybe if I would have supported him more. Damn!

don't you mean initially you weren't on the Byars bandwagon but after realizing he was waived you saw another chance to bash the organization. :P I mean you did say what just two days ago that "There's a reason why Byars hasn't made the rotation for any NBA team in his career. He's just not that good.

When he meets regular season defenses we'll look back on this thread and laugh."

Shouldn't you be behind Paxdorf on this one?

As for the waiving...easy come easy go. He looked like a promising end of the bench guy, and who knows maybe we'll get him on a 10 day or two later on. Truth is he wasn't going to get many minutes with this team. Rose/Salmons/Hinrich will get nearly every guard minute while Deng/Salmons/JJ/TT will take all the SF minutes.

A reminder: written records are kept on here...
lu9
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,930

Post#33 » by biggestbullsfan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:01 pm

dougthonus wrote:

Why? You want to see Lindsay Hunter play?

One is trigger happy and one is old.lol
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#34 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:05 pm

dougthonus wrote:Edit, ignore that, I just got the official email. They waived Byars.

I think the Bulls read Doug's site where some fool was gloating because Byars made the team. The guy was so obnoxious that the Bulls probably decided to cut Byars
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#35 » by BrooklynBulls » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:12 pm

dougthonus wrote:
The league picks up 500k or so of the cost. That leaves about 400k left which is probably what it cost them to hire him as an assistant, but they probably figured they would bring in another vet at the min and basically break even on his cost and then just pay him more to be an assistant.

:nod:

This is why you don't sign Hunter until right about now. What the hell kind of pressure could he possibly put us under to entice us to sign him early?
JackFinn
RealGM
And1: 1,605

Post#36 » by JackFinn » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:21 pm

That's nice. Now unwaive him, please.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#37 » by kyrv » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:24 pm

JackFinn wrote:That's nice. Now unwaive him, please.

I liked Byars mostly because of Hunter and Pargo. Hunter in particular I was hoping would never have to play, even with an injury or two.

Plus he played half decent and seemed to have 'earned' a spot. Byars that is, not Hunter. :)
Sinistar6
Starter
And1: 125

Post#38 » by Sinistar6 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:31 pm

I will give it 2 weeks and you guys will be jockin Pargo. (after he's healthy)
Next time the cult's spaceship lands we'll all be wearing black Starburys.

-mcwelk
BULLHITTER
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#39 » by BULLHITTER » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:38 pm

these kinds of mangerial decisions make it increasingly frustrating to understand and support the bulls philosophy with regard to team building. idk all the financials and don't really care, but it seems to me that the bulls wasted a lot more time on the nichols kid (who isn't as good as byars, imo) than they've chosen to on byars; maybe they'll yo-yo him back and forth but fwiw, they don't seem all that concerned about developing players, they're just hoping to be in the "right place at the right time" by some miraculous turn of events that might propel them to the upper echelon. i'm becoming increasingly skeptical and aligning my thinking about the bulls operating philosophy as, "as long as we're making money, any and everything else is gravy", tempering my enthusiam. down the road i imagine acrimonious dealings with rose and noah, particularly if the team is annually first and second round fodder. the bulls continue to "hope" players "break out", or someone's giving away a star (a la gasol). with all their dealings being money motivated first and foremost, i just don't know how they'll get themselves out of the 'young" status into a veteran team poised to challenge.

they've been a "young team" for the past 7 seasons. do they EVER take the next step?
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,686

Post#40 » by sco » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:55 pm

I, for one, am bummed because the guy looked like he had "real bench potential" (an oxymoron if there ever was one). He is big, seemed to hustle on defense and had 3pt range.

I do understand that we have so many guys who lack NBA experience that if we were to add another warm body, it would be someone who had some real experience.

I see that the Thunder aren't extending Thabo...maybe there is a deal in the works to bring him back? ;)
:clap:

Return to Chicago Bulls