Image ImageImage Image

Trade Derrick Rose

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,169

Re: Trade Derrick Rose 

Post#61 » by alucryts » Sun Dec 6, 2009 7:30 am

teamCHItown wrote:Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I'm slightly taken aback that so many thought I was unhappy with Rose, and that that is why I want to trade him.

I didn't explain myself very well.

It's not about what Rose is or isn't doing for me, it's all about perceived value around the league vs perceived value to me. I want to trade the guys that I think have more value than other GMs think they do. On the Bulls, I think it's pretty obvious Rose must be our most overrated player. That doesn't mean he's not good, or that he won't be a star, or anything like that. It just means on aa simple math level, we'd be best off on the court by trading him.

I think a whole lot of the appeal of Rose is his age, and I kind of want to get away from that line of thinking. I want to get away from the 10 year plan type of thinking with this team. All I want is to watch an entrtaining product that can go to the playoffs every year and be a clear winning team. I think in today;s NBA you want to be thinking about 3 or 4 year plans, not 10. What I mean by that, sort of, is that a 27 year old is just as valuable as an equally good 23 year old, as neither one is likely to be around past their prime anyway, so why pretend like forever is forever.

We suck. Big time. Rose is quite simply our only chance, at this very moment, of getting a great player. Rose is not a great player right now and it's not even close. Yes, he VERY easily could end up being a HOF. But why wait and see if he'll be a HOFer or just a good starter when you could get an all-star for him right now (presumably). People will say it's because he is so young and has so much talent that you want to keep that. Yeah, of course you do, if he actually has that much talent. I'm not sure how much he really has, thoguh. The guy scores 15 a game and is not very good on D (although I'd say improved this year).

I've been watching the Jazz a couple times in the past week and Boozer and Deron are so good it's effing ridiculous how much better they are than Derrick Rose.

Yeah Rose could be great, but he's sure as hell not now, and no one should be surprised if he never gets much better.

I think it's damn clear to me that Rose is not a level one talent. He's just nowhere near aggresive enough. He doesn't PLAY HARD ENOUGH! To all the people who say they hate Tyrus but love Rose - I ask, what's the effing difference?

Well, I can tell you what the difference is - Rose can get you a legit all-star, NOW. In fact, Rose and a piece of **** can probably get you an allstar and another good player. Wait a couple of years and that my not be true anymore.

Disclaimer - I was OK with us trading Brand, and still don't think it was that bad at the time. So that's the kind of guy I am.

Rose is neither very entertaining nor very good. Why plan 10 years around him. How about, since we don't have an elite talent under 25, we don't plan on anyone for 10 years. Let's just get a legit all-star, a couple more pieces and try to make a 3 year run and maybe get to the conference finals or something. It's better than losing games just for some vacant stare kid who scores 15 an effing night.

I mean this when I say it - Rose should be traded for any player who is better than him and under 28 years old.

you will not get an allstar for rose. allstars are allstars because they are generally key components to their teams; why would a team trade them? you will get draft picks and bad contracts. unless you end up with the nets and knicks first round picks for next year, you don't do it. you would need to have like 2 to 3 picks in the top ten with 2 of the top 5. do that in an extremely talented draft class and you may have something. so in other words unless we can get favors and wall along with xavier henry next year, no point in trading we will only downgrade.

the reason rose doesnt look like a tier 1 player is because of his position and team. you say boozer and dwill look so awesome. keyword here: boozer and dwill. a point guard will only look as good as the talent that surrounds him. if we switch derrick to shooting guard, he would look a LOT different. he would create his own shot and create his own offense. as a point guard it is not his job to create his own offense.

derrick rose on this team is like jimmy johnson in a beamer. the driver can only do so much, eventually you need a better car

expecting derrick to look like a superstar is a catch-22. a point guard looks good when he is a great playmaker, but hes creating shots for people who cant hit them! how can a shot maker look good for people who cant hit shots :o

:party:
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#62 » by alucryts » Sun Dec 6, 2009 7:31 am

Juicy Juice wrote:ROSE FOR RONDO

lol the Celtics would be gods, and we'd be the nets
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#63 » by SeniorWalker » Sun Dec 6, 2009 7:36 am

don't trade derrick, man.
he could do us all a favor and be more aggressive just we can keep our sanity. but honestly, if you were rose in any part of a game bringing the ball to the top of the key, and you looked around at your teammates, what the hell would you do? maybe you would drive every time.... (haha) but still even if you scored 81, the other team only has to get 82 to beat you. point is, he needs some effin help. i can't believe i hear people say, "we really need a natural two guard with 3 point ability."
really? seriously?
yeah, trading gordon was (Please Use More Appropriate Word) but hey, you can't be that upset; its not like we have any real basketball minds in the front office anyway right? like that guy said in one of these other threads, jerry doesn't care about winning and putting together a winning team because we all, excuse me, you all will continue to support a barely mediocre team.
all that being said, we're not getting anyone in the offseason. put all your tuition money up on it...i'd put mine up.
funny thing is too, d-wade's mom comes into the restaurant i work at almost every week, parks her maybach in the corner of the lot.... i've served her a few times. of course everybody who works there lobbies for her to tell him to come home but she says he doesn't want to. he'll ultimately make his own decision but yeah, you heard it here first.
who else do we want to play with rose? bosh? boozer? one of them might be arrogant enough to come to a below average team and try to be the #1 option. but even if they were....we wouldn't buy them.
man i wish i lived in a city that really cared about basketball. i wonder how it feels to live out in L.A. and support a franchise obviously only interested in winning.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Post#64 » by TheDunc » Sun Dec 6, 2009 7:54 am

The raptors will gladly take Rose off youre hands. Too bad we have nothing enticing because id love to have a Rose/Derozan backcourt
JackFinn
RealGM
And1: 1,605

Post#65 » by JackFinn » Sun Dec 6, 2009 8:08 am

Rose for Bynum, Tyrus for Brendan Wright, LeBron/Wade/Bosh/Stoudamire for nothing, draft a wing. Many MLEs will be extended to Morrow. With us he's guaranteed a starting position and a skill that's highly valued for its rarity on the team.

Wade/Hinrich/Hinrich's backup/Pargo
Morrow or as good a draft pick as we suck this year or both/McCants
Deng/Johnson
Noah/Wright/Wright's backup/Gibson
Bynum/Gray/an extended 10-day'er following Asik's FT shooting season ending injury
bullybullz
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#66 » by bullybullz » Sun Dec 6, 2009 8:16 am

How do some of you guys survive in everyday life/the real world with all these overreactions? Seriously some of you need a new hobby because it seems to take a toll. Relax. The season is a marathon not a sprint. If the Bulls trade Rose for crap, why would anyone want to sign with the Bulls?

With Rose the Bulls have an enticing piece a franchise player would be interested in as he is so unselfish(sometimes too unselfish) but he will learn as he is still very young. He has the opposite problem Michael Jordan had early in their careers. Michael wanted to dominate and will his team to victory when in reality he had to share the ball more/become unselfish for the ultimate prize.

Again I say if the Bulls get rid of Rose why would any player want to sign with this teams? Some of the common sense is severely lacking basketball wise when people resort to overreacting. Calm down. Seriously.
Get rid of Bum Gordon(DONE DONE DONE!!!!!!!!!!) and Andres Sucioni(DONE!!)

Rerisen wrote:Gordon really good at acting like he is about to lose the ball to bait defenders into fouls. At least that's one way to look at it.
airjordanair
Senior
And1: 32

Post#67 » by airjordanair » Sun Dec 6, 2009 8:18 am

Hmmmm.. I wonder what happened the last time we traded our corner piece rookie of the year and future of the club.. oh that's right we ended up with Chandler or Curry and where are they now? And how great were they for the Bulls..
AUDIOsurf
Sophomore

Post#68 » by AUDIOsurf » Sun Dec 6, 2009 8:18 am

this thread is stupid
sdeezy
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#69 » by sdeezy » Sun Dec 6, 2009 8:23 am

JackFinn wrote:Rose for Bynum, Tyrus for Brendan Wright, LeBron/Wade/Bosh/Stoudamire for nothing, draft a wing. Many MLEs will be extended to Morrow. With us he's guaranteed a starting position and a skill that's highly valued for its rarity on the team.

Wade/Hinrich/Hinrich's backup/Pargo
Morrow or as good a draft pick as we suck this year or both/McCants
Deng/Johnson
Noah/Wright/Wright's backup/Gibson
Bynum/Gray/an extended 10-day'er following Asik's FT shooting season ending injury

Exactly why would tha Lakers do that? Bynum is young and having an all-star season while Rose has regressed. PG's are marginalized in the triangle and Rose would be even more passive than he is now
montestewart wrote:Blatche and McGee standing next to Boozer and Thomas reminded me of first-time offenders meeting real cons in a "scared straight" program.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#70 » by KF10 » Sun Dec 6, 2009 9:17 am

The kid is only 21 years old and is playing the toughest position in the L. Give him some time and patience. Everything will be set in place soon. Rose has too much talent to be regulated to this.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#71 » by kingkirk » Sun Dec 6, 2009 9:40 am

bullybullz wrote:How do some of you guys survive in everyday life/the real world with all these overreactions? Seriously some of you need a new hobby because it seems to take a toll. Relax. The season is a marathon not a sprint. If the Bulls trade Rose for crap, why would anyone want to sign with the Bulls?

With Rose the Bulls have an enticing piece a franchise player would be interested in as he is so unselfish(sometimes too unselfish) but he will learn as he is still very young. He has the opposite problem Michael Jordan had early in their careers. Michael wanted to dominate and will his team to victory when in reality he had to share the ball more/become unselfish for the ultimate prize.

Again I say if the Bulls get rid of Rose why would any player want to sign with this teams? Some of the common sense is severely lacking basketball wise when people resort to overreacting. Calm down. Seriously.

Most sense anyone has made in this stupid thread. If Rose is this 15 point, lazy and scared pg, whos gunna give up their best player for him??
XBebop
Junior
And1: 5

Post#72 » by XBebop » Sun Dec 6, 2009 9:43 am

teamCHItown wrote:
derrick rose on this team is like jimmy johnson in a beamer. the driver can only do so much, eventually you need a better car

Bam. The only analogy needed in this thread.
mjairtwo
Ballboy

Post#73 » by mjairtwo » Sun Dec 6, 2009 10:14 am

alucryts wrote:expecting derrick to look like a superstar is a catch-22. a point guard looks good when he is a great playmaker, but hes creating shots for people who cant hit them! how can a shot maker look good for people who cant hit shots :o

Yeah I'm an ass so I'm going to call you out for saying expecting derrick to be a superstar is a "catch 22". I think i see what you're trying to say but thats not what a catch 22 means.

Anyways, so on to the point of this thread: the possibility of trading derrick shouldnt be automatically rejected. As of right now derrick isnt much more than a ball of potential, which may or may not be realized. While most of us bulls fans, including myself, think he'll eventually be a star, there's no guarantee he'll be a top tier player. Say we could get CP3 for rose, salmons jj and a first, I would definitely do it. More realistically, it should be worth considering trading him in the summer in a sign and trade for a proven first/second team all NBA player such as Bosh.

i know the general response will be "oh he's a 2nd year player..hes was injured..you cant expect him to lead when he's so young," but I have a lot of trouble believing that people aren't worried about his slow start. In almost all statistical categories derrick has regressed since last year. One of the weirdest things on this board is how people here clamor about derrick's improved jumper--i really dont see it. I think his midrange shot was underrated last year and is overrated this year. According to 82games.com last year 60% of derricks shots last year were jumpers and he shot them at a eFG of 41.9%. This year 70% of his shots are jumpers and he shoots them at a eFG of 40.5%. People can debate about his range being slightly further out, but we can all agree its not at the three point line, so his "improvement" in his jumper has really only shown itself by having derrick pull up from 20 feet instead of 18--basically a worthless achievement until the jumper becomes a 3 point shot. Even such, I wouldnt have minded his lack of improved efficiency on jumpers if his willingness to take longer shots helped his efficiency and regularity of driving shots, but that isnt the case. He shoots close shots both less often and at a worse rate than last year.

Now i know im just ranting and i doubt anyone takes me seriously but i really think that its naive to call Derrick an untouchable. Derick may have more physical potential than most point guards in the league but as of now derrick is an average starting point guard, and it tough to unbiasedly assume that Derrick will be special. Today, its tough to see why derrick is \ assumed to grow better than people like Flynn, Westbrook, Harris, Jennings etc. I mean really, people need to think of how good derrick can be comparatively to other players at his position. I assume most think he has top 5 point guard potential at his peak, and hell, maybe he'll be #1. But still there's just as good of a possibility he'll only ever be the q1th best pg in the league. Thus, its worth considering trading him for a established top 5 like bosh.

In creating a basketball team most people hope for a championship, thus enforcing the idea that idea that riskier investments in potential superstars are better that sure bets on good players. To an extent I agree with this, the home run ball is what we hope for. That, why we drafted Tyrus; that's why teams are so unwilling to give top draft slots. The problem in all of is that its almost always difficult to determine if youve hit a home run or not. Bulls fans, in general, thought derrick was going to be a sure thing after last year, and now we're seeing that may not be the case. He's definitly good, but maybe not that good. Losing the spacing Gordon gave us last year no doubt hurts Rose's game, but still, simply put, thats no excuse for derrick averaging 15 3 and 5 on poor efficiency. If the bulls can trade a potential top 10 player for an proven top 10 player it shouldnt be thought of a waste of an investment but rather a successful utilization of our assets.
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by alucryts » Sun Dec 6, 2009 10:22 am

mjairtwo wrote:
alucryts wrote:
teamCHItown wrote:expecting derrick to look like a superstar is a catch-22. a point guard looks good when he is a great playmaker, but hes creating shots for people who cant hit them! how can a shot maker look good for people who cant hit shots :o

Yeah I'm an ass so I'm going to call you out for saying expecting derrick to be a superstar is a "catch 22". I think i see what you're trying to say but thats not what a catch 22 means.

actually it is

"A situation in which a desired outcome or solution is impossible to attain because of a set of inherently illogical rules or conditions:"

situation: derrick is on offensively limited team
desired outcome: superstar point guard
illogical condition: someone expected to get assists and make open shot opportunities for people who can't make shots.
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by alucryts » Sun Dec 6, 2009 10:27 am

mjairtwo wrote:
alucryts wrote:
teamCHItown wrote:expecting derrick to look like a superstar is a catch-22. a point guard looks good when he is a great playmaker, but hes creating shots for people who cant hit them! how can a shot maker look good for people who cant hit shots :o

Anyways, so on to the point of this thread: the possibility of trading derrick shouldnt be automatically rejected. As of right now derrick isnt much more than a ball of potential, which may or may not be realized. While most of us bulls fans, including myself, think he'll eventually be a star, there's no guarantee he'll be a top tier player. Say we could get CP3 for rose, salmons jj and a first, I would definitely do it. More realistically, it should be worth considering trading him in the summer in a sign and trade for a proven first/second team all NBA player such as Bosh.

i know the general response will be "oh he's a 2nd year player..hes was injured..you cant expect him to lead when he's so young," but I have a lot of trouble believing that people aren't worried about his slow start. In almost all statistical categories derrick has regressed since last year. One of the weirdest things on this board is how people here clamor about derrick's improved jumper--i really dont see it. I think his midrange shot was underrated last year and is overrated this year. According to 82games.com last year 60% of derricks shots last year were jumpers and he shot them at a eFG of 41.9%. This year 70% of his shots are jumpers and he shoots them at a eFG of 40.5%. People can debate about his range being slightly further out, but we can all agree its not at the three point line, so his "improvement" in his jumper has really only shown itself by having derrick pull up from 20 feet instead of 18--basically a worthless achievement until the jumper becomes a 3 point shot. Even such, I wouldnt have minded his lack of improved efficiency on jumpers if his willingness to take longer shots helped his efficiency and regularity of driving shots, but that isnt the case. He shoots close shots both less often and at a worse rate than last year.

Now i know im just ranting and i doubt anyone takes me seriously but i really think that its naive to call Derrick an untouchable. Derick may have more physical potential than most point guards in the league but as of now derrick is an average starting point guard, and it tough to unbiasedly assume that Derrick will be special. Today, its tough to see why derrick is \ assumed to grow better than people like Flynn, Westbrook, Harris, Jennings etc. I mean really, people need to think of how good derrick can be comparatively to other players at his position. I assume most think he has top 5 point guard potential at his peak, and hell, maybe he'll be #1. But still there's just as good of a possibility he'll only ever be the q1th best pg in the league. Thus, its worth considering trading him for a established top 5 like bosh.

In creating a basketball team most people hope for a championship, thus enforcing the idea that idea that riskier investments in potential superstars are better that sure bets on good players. To an extent I agree with this, the home run ball is what we hope for. That, why we drafted Tyrus; that's why teams are so unwilling to give top draft slots. The problem in all of is that its almost always difficult to determine if youve hit a home run or not. Bulls fans, in general, thought derrick was going to be a sure thing after last year, and now we're seeing that may not be the case. He's definitly good, but maybe not that good. Losing the spacing Gordon gave us last year no doubt hurts Rose's game, but still, simply put, thats no excuse for derrick averaging 15 3 and 5 on poor efficiency. If the bulls can trade a potential top 10 player for an proven top 10 player it shouldnt be thought of a waste of an investment but rather a successful utilization of our assets.

i would call trading rose for bosh running in place. who's next to bosh to help him? you have a point guard for your team? who's backing that pg up? also, I made a separate thread on this, but derrick being a pure point guard will not show his full potential as a pure point guard unless he has players around him who can hit a shot. if you want more scoring, look to vinny to change his role on this team to a combo guard.
Just_Bullz
Veteran
And1: 629

Post#76 » by Just_Bullz » Sun Dec 6, 2009 11:14 am

boogydown wrote:You know people criticize the Raptors because they don't know how to form a team. We are no better clearly.

Salmons - SF playing SG
Deng - Combo Forward, no set position.
Hinrich - PG playing SG
Miller - Shouldn't be playing, liability

Trading Rose solves nothing. Find people who can play next to Rose first.

This.

This team has no leader and our captains are not acting as if they are captains.

Trading Rose is the last thing one can do at the moment.

We need a trade that would improve our offense and 3pt shooting and a coach that can really groom players like Rose.

With the current slump the value of our players are at an all time low, salary dumping trades are the only way to go.

Thus, the Al for Tyrus and James trade mentioned in the other thread might probably be the only solution front office can go for at the moment. We get an expiring player who will give us offense for this season and open up our options for 2010.

Win-Win situation.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 754

Post#77 » by Hold That » Sun Dec 6, 2009 12:14 pm

Yes!! Let's trade Derrick Rose before we get him a coach with actual experience in developing players!! Or a coach who knows how to make him the focal point of the offense!! Great Idea I'm on board.. Ship him out a.s.a.p!!
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#78 » by princeofpalace » Sun Dec 6, 2009 12:49 pm

This is a reactionary thread

During the Summer, when Bulls lost Gordon I predicted that Rose would take a step back because as the #2 option he benefited from teams focusing on Gordon and spacing the floor. I don't think Rose is capable of carrying a team offensively nor being the # 1 option- he is just far too passive for that but trading him would be a terrible move.

Instead Chicago needs to focus on getting some credible 3 point shooters around him along with better offensive players in general. The Bulls do not have any 1st options out there and its hurting them and Rose suffers as a result
wardevil
Banned User

Post#79 » by wardevil » Sun Dec 6, 2009 1:05 pm

Poohdini wrote:Yes!! Let's trade Derrick Rose before we get him a coach with actual experience in developing players!! Or a coach who knows how to make him the focal point of the offense!! Great Idea I'm on board.. Ship him out a.s.a.p!!

If a team makes Derrick Rose the focal point of their offense, their offense will suck! A passive, no defense,no jump shot pg as your focal point? I think thats what we have now.
JackFinn
RealGM
And1: 1,605

Post#80 » by JackFinn » Sun Dec 6, 2009 1:31 pm

alucryts wrote:actually it is

"A situation in which a desired outcome or solution is impossible to attain because of a set of inherently illogical rules or conditions:"

situation: derrick is on offensively limited team
desired outcome: superstar point guard
illogical condition: someone expected to get assists and make open shot opportunities for people who can't make shots.

According to your fill-in-the-blanks: "The only way to become a superstar is if your team prevents you from being a superstar. In which case, of course, you won't be a superstar." That's catch-22, but it isn't Rose's situation. Because that rule/condition doesn't exist in his sane world.

I could be off, but my interpretation is when the means to attain your goal are also the obstacle that blocks it, sometimes for some made-up/absurd reason. Like in order to get X, you need to do Y. And now that you've done Y, there's no way you could ever get X. Congratulations.

I need to get a job
- I know how you could do it!
Hooray! :) How?
- You need to have experience. Now you know! Yay!
Oh, bless you. Now how do I gain experience, my good man?
- By having a job. Good luck, f*ckface.
Wait.
- Have you had a job?
Well, no.
- Then how the hell are you going to gain experience? That'll be $5,000 please.
What? I didn't even approach you. You overheard me talking with my friend and volunteered this advice. Did you say five th
- That's not true. That's just something the writer of this dialogue just made up. Like this, for instance.
HEEEEY!!! YOU SHOT ME! YOU SHOT ME RIGHT IN MY EAR WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?
-Why. Why anything? Why is purple not brown?
THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE. OH YOU SON OF A BITCH THIS HURTS SO MUCH.
- So what? Your facial expressions don't make any sense either. Their stiff movements don't convey the emotion inherent in your voice. I don't find you very believable.
THAT'S BECAUSE YOU SHOT MY FACIAL EXPRESSIONS WITH A SHOTGUN WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU
- Look, I don't really have an ending for this. So I'm just going to leave abruptly.

Return to Chicago Bulls